151 James St. South
Hamilton, ON L8P 2A2Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.radius.ca/
- Phone: 9053931658x
- Hours of Operation:
CAFE & LOUNGE: MONDAY - SUNDAY: 8:00AM - 9PM
MAIN DINNING ROOM: MONDAY - THURSDAY: 11:00AM - 11:00PM
FRIDAY & SATURDAY: 11:00AM - MIDNIGHT
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Lance Gault
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering for your home or office from 5 to 200 people.
Ask about our private dining options as well.
- Private Party Facilities: The Offices at radius can accommodate up to 15 people each and all are adorned with 42" HDTV, Skype, Smart TV and everything that you would need for a business meeting or an intimate family dinner, all in a beautiful, restored, historic space.
- Private Party Contact: Info@radius.ca 9053931658x
- Entertainment: DJ in our indoor Urban Casual space Friday and Saturday after 9:00.
Check out www.radius.ca for a complete list of weekly activities.
A word from Radius
Radius Dining and lounge offers great foods, coffees and drinks made as much as possible from the organic produce and fine meats of local farmers, and even from our very own Tally Ho Farm in Carlisle. We are able to serve you in a lovingly restored historic building featuring 16" original tin ceilings and adorned with artwork from Hamilton's great artist community. If outdoor dining is what you are looking for, we have 200 patio seats, including a large rooftop terrace.Continued
Our food is prepared fresh daily. In a nutshell...we love local and strive in all things we do to nurture and support our community...hence the name Radius!
Our food is prepared fresh daily. In a nutshell...we love local and strive in all things we do to nurture and support our community...hence the name Radius!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Radius - Best Restaurants in Hamilton ›
Radius reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (6)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)romantic (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- SoulfulPetitportionDined on 8/21/2014Went to Radius for dinner on a Thursday night. We had attentive service and great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MS1985Dined on 8/10/2014Nice place for a special occassion, too expensive for a regular weekend spot. We had the waffles and chicken, and waffles and strawberries. Nice work and good on the waiter for explaining the local concept of the restaurant for us. Coffee was ok, prefer starbucks!Special Features:
- Food interesting, service mediocreUdonDined on 7/4/2014Be prepared to be disconcerted when speaking to the wait staff. They tended not to look at is when speaking.
- fresh and delicious!girlsfromWaterdownDined on 7/3/2014Heard lots of wonderful things about Radius from friends! Finally got a chance to try it out, kale salad was so fresh and rice bowl equally fantastic!!Special Features:
- great lunch spotawp1VIPDined on 6/13/2014Great food, great service and conveniently located between the GO Station and St. Josephs Hospital, with easy parking around the corner on Augusta. At this business lunch, partner (been here before) had the falafel burger and caesar salad and was quite pleased it was up to spec compared to previously tried dishes. I (a 1st timer here) had the Atlantic halibut and was impressed with the Guinness breading and the quality of the fish and the way it was prepared. Hard to nail down the perfect cooking time for halibut, but the kitchen got it right, Wine list was pretty good, the whole bar list being fairly extensive. With friendly staff, and capped off with a reasonable price, we will definitely return to Radius. Perhaps dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabulous evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/9/2014Our committee always celebrate the end of another successful school year by going out for dinner in June. This year we all decided to try a local restaurant in the down town core. Radius was chosen and we are all so glad it was! The food, the service, the décor and the ambience was just perfect. To a person, all the apps and main entrées were executed with perfection....no one uttered anything other than compliments. The fact that we were a fairly large group yet everyone received their apps and entrées at the same time is nothing less than a miracle! Try this gem......you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch @radiusOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2014This restaurant doesnt know how to cook eggs. I had read prior online reviews saying that many customers felt their poached eggs or eggs benny was overcooked so I specifically asked that the eggs for my Radius Hash be cooked runny. The eggs were overcooked despite me being very specific. Had I not been with friends, I would have sent the eggs back. Also, the service was poor. There were literally two people in the restaurant and yet there was no server to seat us or greet us. The lady who worked in the cafe was kind enough to greet us and bring us to the restaurant size. The waitress was difficult about where we wanted to sit despite this being an essentially empty restaurant.
- beautiful decorluv2winendineDined on 5/11/2014I brought my grandmother and mother here for mother's day and it was enjoyable. I wasn't overly impressed with the food, it took quite some time for it to come out and that would have been acceptable if it seemed fresh but it was like warm and overcooked. The service was good minus the long wait at the front door with no one greeting us for some time and the fact that my direct request for seating in the lower level since my grandmother can't climb stairs was missed, however they did accomadated us. I do have to mention that the place is beautiful inside and out, gorgeous architectural details and the patio is beautiful with different levels is seating and wooden beams lending to its ambience. As well love all the local wine list !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back :)WillbebackDined on 5/9/2014I ended up ordering the beet salad for my main upon recommendation from our server. I didn't like it at all and our server had no problem switching it out for something else with no issue. The rest of the food was absolutely fantastic! We were very happy with our experience and really impressed with the great service. I wish I caught the server's name because she was wonderful. We will definitely be back again. Looking forward to checking out the rooftop patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 27 reviews are from the Radius reviews archive.
- Excellent Brunch!TrixieDined on 4/20/2014Our family went out for Easter Brunch and had a lovely time. We have a toddler and the restaurant was extremely accomodating. The food was excellent and our server was knowledgeable and attentive especially since we had 3 vegetarians in our party. We had no issues with service and the food was very good, came out altogether and hot. I would recommend brunch anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- James Street GemFoodie63Dined on 4/8/2014Went with an on line recommendation, not disappointed. It was early so the restaurant wasn't busy. Great old building with what appeared to be the original tin ceiling, wood floors and unique tables. Radius owns it's own local farm and supports local farmers. My husband's organic prime rib was wonderful, and another in our party had short ribs and declared them tender and tasty. I am gluten and lactose intolerant, our friendly and efficient waitress, Georgia, suggested lake trout without the cream sauce. It was just ok, on the dry side and boring. All meals presented with fresh sprouts thrown on top. We passed on dessert. Will make the trip again at the height of the local farm production season to see what Chef can really do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nasty BeginningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/5/2014We were greeted rather rudely by three staff denying I had an Open Table reservation for 4. ( They eventually said they didn't have it - I did get points and follow-up, so I'm still confused about this part). They insisted we were really a different reservation for 5 and seated us next to a large table for 8. The rest of the tables were empty. Eventually, after asking assertively for a more private table for 4, we were moved across the room. We'd also been led to believe that both the Brunch Menu and the regular menu was available. (One of our party has many food issues and plans ahead.) Unfortunately, only the Brunch Menu was available. After the nasty beginning, we did enjoy the food and the server was good once we ordered.
- Cozy, Chic DiningyumyumrankDined on 3/29/2014Our group enjoyed the cozy, chic atmosphere of Radius. I appreciated the contemporary, brick wall and chandelier decor. reservations are recommended as it was a busy Saturday evening. We had a nice table, that was a little tight to the next group but still comfortable. We found the selection of food choices interesting though limited. Food was brought out in a timely fashion and was enjoyable. Our server was friendly though not as attentive as hoped. The restaurant was rather busy however and likely contributed to this. We thoroughly enjoyed out evening here and look forward to a night on the large patio in the back when the nice weather arrives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummyradhaDined on 3/27/2014Had the amazing goat cheese spring rolls and the tasty kale salad. Server was friendly and made great food suggestions.Special Features:
- Fresh TroutTank2kVIPDined on 3/21/2014The Trout in Parchment was outstanding! I would highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys fish, this may be the best Trout I have ever had. Fresh, outstanding mixtures of texture and flavors. Wine was excellent! The entire dining experience was very good! Server was friendly and professional!Special Features:
- Another Outstanding DinnerTank2kVIPDined on 3/16/2014We had dinner early before a show, the food was fresh, the tastes were outstanding we'll definitely be back. We'd highly recommend Radius for dinner.Special Features:
- Great Experience :)rkoi91Dined on 3/6/2014The food was delicious- I had the chicken parpadelle and my partner had the lamb shank. Our waitress was really friendly and checked in on us the right amount of times. Comfy atmosphere :)Special Features:
- Great Double DatecomicgirlDined on 3/1/2014I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere at Radius! The waitstaff was fantastic as was the food. It is a very small menu (which means what they make they make perfectly and consistently) however if you're a picky eater I would review the menu before going. I especially loved the pork poutine.Special Features:
- Well Done - Worth Visiting!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/7/2014Excellent selections on the menu, local VQA on the wine list which is refreshing, food prepared & presented very well, topped off by excellent attentive service....no complaints, will return....give it a try...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New expérienceOrionTheHunter083Dined on 2/6/2014I moved to area a few months ago havent tried much of the restaurants around my area and this is the first one I hope the others i will go to are just as good. the food was good and so was the serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All we can say is WOW!Tank2kVIPDined on 1/17/2014We get a hi-top table up in the bar area, which provided a nice view of the restaurant. We perused the menu and then ordered. I had the mussels and Trout and she had the Chicken and pasta. Wow the mussels in a light curry sauce were outstanding, perfectly prepared and the sauce was excellent for dipping the bread after I had finished all of the mussels. The Trout prepared in a parchment paper with wild rice was exceptional, Perfect seems to be an understatement. I cannot wait to go back and try other items on the menu. The Chicken and pasta were just amazing and neither one of us left anything on the plate.... We would definitely go again! and actually will this week!Special Features:
- I had heard good reviews forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2013I had heard good reviews for this restaurant so was anxious to try it out. Our drink order was taken fairly quickly however nothing ever appeared. Finally we asked about our drinks and were told that the bartender was very busy (only four table occupied at the time). After about 20 minutes our glasses of wine appeared and we ordered. Another hour went by before food arrived and then one of the orders was wrong and had to be redone. Needless to say, everyone else was finished before the corrected dish arrived 15 minutes later. If this is how service is everyday I don't hold out much hope for success.
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013We were on our way home from out of town and used Open Table to find somewhere to stop for dinner. What a great restaurant! The appetizer menu is fantastic and it really stood out for us.We decided to try the charcuterie platter which was presented on a board and had a nice selection of meats and pickled veggies. The cauliflower is outstanding! Our beet and goat's cheese salad was flavourful and the flatbread pizza with arugula was a very nice.balance of creamy goat and peppery greens. Next time I would probably opt for less goats cheese all at once but that was our ordering choice. The ambience is eclectic. Overall a great find in downtown Hamilton. We have already recommended it to friends and plan to go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Time at RadiusTrogboyDined on 11/14/2013We really enjoyed our time at Radius. We found a nice corner by the upper level bar and were treated to Great Food, Amazing, friendly service and a wonderful place to relax and enjoy our time there. I highly recommend Radius and we will be visiting gain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table in HamiltonRaijaDined on 11/9/2013Four ladies out for a nice meal prior to a concert at Copps. We live in Toronto and found this restaurant on Open Table. Very happy with the quality of the food and service. Simple menu - but great choices. Nice change from your typical chain restaurant. Nice experience and very reasonably priced for farm to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tim is a great waiter!!GRSBDined on 10/22/2013We really enjoyed our server, Tim. He was very attentive and efficient. We felt that he really wanted us to enjoy our dining experience and made every effort to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's OkayABitPriceyVIPDined on 8/18/2013Serving size was small for the amont charged. It was a quiet night when I was in, that usually translates into service that is a bit more engaged... Not the case for me... Service was a bit light.
- Radius for luncheatoutDined on 8/7/2013This is the second time I've been to Radius and once again, I was not disappointed. The candied beet salad, and lemon penne were excellent. Very good wine list. Topped off with a flourless brownie. Wait staff were friendly and upbeat. Would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badSanjDined on 7/30/2013We had been waiting to come eat here, so we saved it for a special night. I tried calling to make a reservation and no one answered the phone or ever called me back so I booked on opentable and ah ha.. We got a reso. Upon arrival no one greeted us we waited at the front until I asked someone to seat us. Service was slow and the place was dead..? Food was alright, nothing great.. Healthy options were a bonus. Bit of a let down.
- food was really goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2013although portions were pretty small (size of tenderloin should have been added to menu because it seemed to be a 6 oz) but the food was very good. service a little slow but waitress was good in checking in on us.Special Features:
- Great local eats!hobo138Dined on 6/21/2013Originally from Hamilton, I really appreciate the local ingredients used and the flavours were amazing. The pickerel and pasta dish would draw us back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!cinduDined on 6/17/2013Great place in a convenient downtown location. Food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent find!YoungM07Dined on 6/14/2013Came here for dinner a few nights ago with two family members, all of us in our 20s and young professionals. Wanted to go out somewhere nice and I had passed by a few times and checked out the website which looked intriguing. Reservations were made and they were very accommodating when we knew we would need to push the time back 30min. At the restaurant, water and drinks were served promptly, orders were taken right away and when they came out,they checked a couple times to see how we enjoyed the first few bites. So service was wonderful! The food? Delicious! I had the braised short ribs, others had the chicken and pasta with tiger shrimp.We would all order the same again and come back!For dessert-flourless brownies-YUM!Overall I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/10/2013Visited this restaurant as it was a short walk from our hotel, and very much enjoyed it. Excellent selection of wine available by the glass (every bottle offered, approximately 12 red and 12 white with great grape variety, is available by the glass). For the price point the menu is varied and interesting, and the food is terrific. Nicely renovated building, great atmosphere, excellent service. The adults were happy and our 12 year old daughter loved it as well.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service!WinerDined on 6/8/2013Excellent food & service! Certainly would pass on a recommendation!Special Features:
- Cool addition to Augusta StreetTimmyDined on 5/31/2013The addition of the patio area has further brought Radius into the Augusta Street strip of cool and funky restaurants and bars. It's a go-to anchor on the western entrance to the village. The quality of the food has remained outstanding since my last visit six months ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.