Radio Africa Kitchen
4800 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94124Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Radio Africa Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.radioafricakitchen.com/
- Phone: 4154202486x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Sa 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Eskender Aseged
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We are available for all types of catering events from in home dinners to museum events & anything you could imagine. Please contact Megan Wiskind at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
A word from Radio Africa Kitchen
When you dine with us, you will enjoy a seasonal, nutritionally well-balanced meal that always includes organic vegetables, greens, grains, nuts, wild fish, shellfish and fruit, accompanied by fine herbs and spices.Continued
Radio Africa Kitchen specializes in customized catered events. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
Radio Africa Kitchen specializes in customized catered events. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Radio Africa Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bayview ›
Radio Africa Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (46)neighborhood gem (46)good for groups (28)special occasion (14)romantic (14)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (5)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Every dish was phenomenal!chrismarkaveDined on 10/18/2014We met friends here for dinner & had an excellent experience!! This was the best meal I'd had in a while--incredible flavors & variety, and very reasonably priced. Every dish we ordered was PHENOMENAL, and there are lots of vegetarian options (as well as non-vegetarian options). The service was great & the atmosphere is wonderful. Only slightly off-putting thing is that this is a "foodie" restaurant plopped into the middle of the Bayview & I wish that the restaurant owners would make some effort to bring the Bayview community in--either through employment or special neighborhood deals or something. Still...I highly recommend this restaurant & will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A great restaurant to tryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/10/2014I had a great dinner at Radio Africa. The food was a unique combination of flavors and everything I had was delicious. The ambiance was ok and could use some improvements. I did enjoy the live guitar playing, but I felt the dining area was a bit too open and exposed to Third street activity. I would come back to try a different menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!SFeatsDined on 9/27/2014I took my daughter to this hidden gem - we ordered the tasting menu (not listed, but they had offered one on a previous visit). Every bite of every dish was delicious, unique and beautifully plated. This restaurant is a treasure! The service was warm and friendly without being intrusive (I can't stand wait staff who seem determined to become your new best friend). Each course came right as we were ready (it's a small place, seats maybe 50, but it's quite spacious, and they keep an eagle eye out for the needs of each customer). I have lived and dined in both Europe and Asia, and in New York City. I eat out a lot and have very eclectic tastes, and I have to say that Radio Africa Kitchen is one of my favorite restaurants on the planet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014This off the beaten path restaurant seems very out of place in the Bayview. The food was not quite as impressive on this second visit as I remembered it being from my first visit. The flavors in the meat dishes were unique and well balanced, though the meat was not as tender as it could have been. The fish, barramundi, was nice and light but could have benefited from a little more character. The trout and crab appetizer didn't taste particularly fresh and was overwhelmed by the flavor of smoked trout. Also the bread it was served with was passable. Very limited beer and wine list. Service was friendly, helpful and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope to try another timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Unfortunately I fell and was hospitalized so wasn't able to keep my reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food!pickyeaterDined on 9/17/2014Great find! Very tasty dishes with flavorful greens. I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- plan to returnTheMaxDined on 9/13/2014The appetizers are incredible. Well thought out, generous, attractive and tasty. There is an otion that includes all the nights appetizers, I may shoot for that next time.Special Features:
- Again and Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014I have had the pleasure to dine at Radio Africa 5 times this year and it is always an amazing culinary experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodBabsDined on 8/28/2014The chef has done a great job using different spices and fresh foods. The combinations were interesting and they worked well. The only negative side to the restaurant was the area in which it was located. Not the best part of town but we had no problems. It is worth it for the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 8/21/2014We've been here many times and we keep going back because the food and entire dining experience is so great. Several reviews mentioned service issues, which is puzzling because this has never been a problem for us. The addition of live music on Thursday nights was a nice treat: not too loud. As for food: as many times as we've had it, the edamame hummus appetizer is always wonderful. The short rib tagine on the summer menu is great.Special Features:
- great findheidihoDined on 8/20/2014loved this place. food was delicious. had the 5 course tasting menu which was soooo good. the server was a delight also. will definitely be back...with or without a voucher. this restaurant is on the other side of the city from me but well worth the driveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great quality foodLetseat4Dined on 8/19/2014Our first time to this really pretty restaurant, open kitchen and hardworking chef. Best of all the food was beautifully and carefully prepared and tasted really good. We especially liked the appetizer dishes. The soup with garlic oil was out of this world good as well as the poached fruit dessert. Highly recommended to make the trek out to try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Blend of FlavorsSFDineretteVIPDined on 8/19/2014The tasting menu is a delightful treat for the eyes and the palate, from the corn and leek soup to the chocolate cake and cream. Each course is artfully presented and invites you to taste it. We loved the crab and trout spread, the mushroom crostini, and the lamb, which was grilled exactly as I like it. The chef is a culinary artist!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodating!ArtsywfaDined on 8/15/2014We had a large group with different tastes and needs - all were satisfied. Even our vegan person was pleasantly surprised. Eskender, the chef/owner adapted an entree to be 100% vegan. The lamb and fish were fantastic and very flavorful! Definitely worth going!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a groupChiaraVIPDined on 8/14/2014Had dinner here before McCartney's farewell concert to Candlestick. They handled a group of 10 beautifully, without a single hitch. The flavors in every dish are bold and unique and the appetizer platter is perfect for large parties. We loved the bubbly and the red wine we ordered. Our server was charming and efficient. It was the perfect start to a very memorable evening.Special Features:
- Great Food. Bad location.OverratedVIPDined on 8/7/2014The chef is talented and the food is very good. However the front house is poorly managed, service is spotty and uniformed, and the decor is tired. The location is not welcoming. Good luck parking and getting back to your car.Special Features:
- SFnativeSFnativeDined on 8/6/2014Our experience at Radio Africa was absolutely delightful. The food was out of this world, service was attentive and personal (by the owner); my daughter and I thoroughly enjoyed our tasting menu and will go back to enjoy our favorites again. The restaurant is beautiful and the music set just the right mood. Parking can be tough and the neighborhood a little rough, but our experience made it worth the effort to get there. Very quiet on a Wed evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returning again and againIntrepidDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014But for the location, I would be coming here more often. As it is, I've been here five times already. The food is yummy. The service is attentive without being intrusive; Friendly without the "I'm too hip" attitude that you get in a lot of restaurants in the city. And the value is unbeatable. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Neighborhood treasureZorphoDined on 8/2/2014Warm, friendly wait staff; fresh, flavorful & filling food; wonderful to be able to have a real conversation without yelling over the noise; diners actually interacting and not glued to their digital distractions; open & airy ambiance.Special Features:
- Surprising find on 3rdRavenousDined on 8/1/2014If you think this place is a find, and you will, imagine finding it on 3rd Street at Oakdale -- formerly one of the iffier corners of Southeast, but now a pleasant rendezvous spot thanks to this restaurant. The decor is modern and spare to the point of being Scandinavian. The other surprise is the menu. The chef is Ethiopian (or is it Eritrean?) and I thought the food would be Ethiopian in flavors. There are some Ethiopian spices and ingredients but in the main it's all his own cuisine — interesting (and organic) ingredients in his own combinations, all of the dishes very fresh and very flavorful.Special Features:
- Amazing tasting menuTravelingSueDined on 7/31/2014We bought a 5 course tasting menu deal on the internet. What a gem. This is a foodies dream come true. This is really more than 5 courses. The first is a soup, 2nd and 3rd are from the starters section of menu and include most everything on the list. The 4th course is a sampling of 4 different mains. And then a dessert. Each dish had a wonderful blend of flavors ...chef is from Ethiopa ...read about him on the internet. Gourmet African food!Special Features:
- i love love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food is creative and delicious! The service is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Radio Africa KitchenDebGDined on 7/26/2014The food and customer service was excellent. I will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor reservationHorribleDined on 7/22/2014I made a reservation for July 22 at 7pm. I then updated it at open table to 9pm and received confirmation. When I got there the chef was gone and the kitchen was closed, and had been for some time. They said the chef left because it was slow. I left a voice message at the restaurant and never heard back. This experience was extremely disappointing because I was visiting from out of town. I had to pay a taxi for 30-minutes to get there, it was for my fiance's birthday and we had to leave the next day. We were so upset we had to get back in a taxi and find something else to do for his birthday. He was so upset. Had they returned my call or called me at least with an apology I could respect that. Also, I prepaid for this bad experience.
- Dare to try iteufoodiaDined on 7/19/2014Got a groupon for this place and nit was totally worth it, didn'nt know what ro expect ut the food was just amazing.Special Features:
- just a tasteeatingwBeeksDined on 7/19/2014We had the sampler for two. It was good..the service hurts the restaurant. Service is very slow and our server forgot our drink order only to find out they were out of most of the drinks - no tea - no san pellegrino. (they only had a few things on the menu to choose from)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placelucidbeeDined on 7/18/2014Funky aesthetic but top notch food, refined & SMART. Neighborhood may challenge some folks but the prices are lower for comparable food due to location. Really swell!Special Features:
- Radio Africa is hot!MegalishDined on 7/16/2014Bayview is up and coming and Radio Africa is leading the pack. Amazing food for an incredibly good price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014We had a tasting menu and EVERY. SINGLE. DISH. WAS. INCREDIBLE. We were really impressed, and plus the service was wonderful! The chef was so nice; we said thanks afterwards and he said he was sorry he couldn't stop by our table since he ended up being quite busy, but we were touched he thought of it! We are definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Radio Africa Kitchen reviews archive.
- Nontraditional Ethiopian restaurantchigueraDined on 4/5/2014Loved it, we had an amazon local coupon for a five course tasting menu here. What a fantastic deal, we were able to try the full menu at a reasonable price. And what delicious cuisine, not your standard Ethiopian fan fare; but no one could complain!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic EthiopianMaryanne224Dined on 4/3/2014My husband and I enjoyed the tasting menu, which is comprised of each of the appetizers, and a sampling of all of the entrees, along with desert. We live in the neighborhood and are delighted that Radio Africa & Kitchen is nearby. Our wait staff was friendly and relaxed and each sampling platter was brought to our table in a timely manner. That evening, a Thursday night, Radio Africa hosted a live, jazz duo which added to the modern, yet casual ambiance. All of the food was prepared well, was very tasty and was delicately prepared. The only thing missing was Ethiopian flat bread, which has a unique and distinctive taste that I love. Otherwise, a very nice restaurant that we plan to revisit.Special Features:
- Really nice place, good food,AddieVIPDined on 3/28/2014Really nice place, good food, neat ambience, very friendly. A real find.Special Features:
- Loved it!TiffDined on 3/26/2014The only downfall is the neighborhood is very scary af night. The food is fresh and amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeMarvCleve12Dined on 3/15/2014I've been twice now. Once for a birthday and again for the Chef'sTable table. The food is so good. I highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious, butOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014The food was delicious, but the service was extremely slow.
- Great food!LeshDined on 3/6/2014We had the 5-course tasting menu, it was great! A good variety of food, and it filled us up,Special Features:
- Radio Africa KitchenShielaDined on 3/5/2014First time actually eating here. Food well prepared and seasoned well. Menu varitey suggest vegetarian mostly, but there are some meat dishes. I had the beef dish with spinach and sweet potatoes. Excellent, not spicy and meat was very tender. More than enough to keep you full. Dessert menu was awesome, althought did not order, too full!! Great neighborhood find, parking is limited mostly on the street. But accessible by the "T" streetcar. Stops right in front. Since I am familiar with the area, I would recommend to local San Franciscans and anyone in the neighborhood to support local entrepenurs. Not pricey. Affordable as well. Wine list is varied as well. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time has been perfectionKDinSFDined on 3/4/2014Service, food service and selection, minimalist zen like atmosphere (not in the Japanese style, just peaceful!) Each time I've gotten the tasting menu for two and been over the moon with delight. Note that the neighborhood is the Bayview, so prepare yourself for that by not leaving anything valuable in your car. Once inside, it's an oasis in the 'hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambienceRaphkyDined on 2/15/2014Basically, I would recommend this place. Good food, ambience and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't Honor Reservation TimeDeeKevVIPDined on 2/14/2014We made a reservation for 4 about 3 wks in advance for Valentine's Day. When we got there it was a first-come-first-served basis which was unacceptable. We realize that VD gets hectic, but any restaurant needs to manage their seating better. When we complained to the Manager instead of apologizing to us, he just kept blaming VD for the delays. I use Open Table exclusively for reservations & this is the first time we've been treated like this ever! The food was very good but not excellent as the reviews said - we believe that VD had something to do with it since we were expecting better. The service definitely needs to improve if they want to stay in business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.