Radio Africa Kitchen
4800 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94124Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Radio Africa Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.radioafricakitchen.com/
- Phone: (415) 420-2486
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: T-Sa 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: African, Ethiopian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Eskender Aseged
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We are available for all types of catering events from in home dinners to museum events & anything you could imagine. Please contact Megan Wiskind at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
A word from Radio Africa Kitchen
When you dine with us, you will enjoy a seasonal, nutritionally well-balanced meal that always includes organic vegetables, greens, grains, nuts, wild fish, shellfish and fruit, accompanied by fine herbs and spices.Continued
Radio Africa Kitchen specializes in customized catered events. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
Radio Africa Kitchen specializes in customized catered events. Please contact the restaurant for more information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Radio Africa Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Bayview ›
Radio Africa Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)neighborhood gem (40)good for groups (29)romantic (12)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (4)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Radio Africa KitchenShielaDined on 3/5/2014First time actually eating here. Food well prepared and seasoned well. Menu varitey suggest vegetarian mostly, but there are some meat dishes. I had the beef dish with spinach and sweet potatoes. Excellent, not spicy and meat was very tender. More than enough to keep you full. Dessert menu was awesome, althought did not order, too full!! Great neighborhood find, parking is limited mostly on the street. But accessible by the "T" streetcar. Stops right in front. Since I am familiar with the area, I would recommend to local San Franciscans and anyone in the neighborhood to support local entrepenurs. Not pricey. Affordable as well. Wine list is varied as well. Give it a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time has been perfectionKDinSFDined on 3/4/2014Service, food service and selection, minimalist zen like atmosphere (not in the Japanese style, just peaceful!) Each time I've gotten the tasting menu for two and been over the moon with delight. Note that the neighborhood is the Bayview, so prepare yourself for that by not leaving anything valuable in your car. Once inside, it's an oasis in the 'hood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and ambienceRaphkyDined on 2/15/2014Basically, I would recommend this place. Good food, ambience and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't Honor Reservation TimeDeeKevVIPDined on 2/14/2014We made a reservation for 4 about 3 wks in advance for Valentine's Day. When we got there it was a first-come-first-served basis which was unacceptable. We realize that VD gets hectic, but any restaurant needs to manage their seating better. When we complained to the Manager instead of apologizing to us, he just kept blaming VD for the delays. I use Open Table exclusively for reservations & this is the first time we've been treated like this ever! The food was very good but not excellent as the reviews said - we believe that VD had something to do with it since we were expecting better. The service definitely needs to improve if they want to stay in business!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, live music too!travelntasteDined on 2/14/2014I had the roasted lamb w/ couscous and kale. TONS of meat! Very tasty... get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food/humble helpful staffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I had been meaning to check this place out after having read about its prior incarnation as a pop up restaurant. I arrived for my reservation and found the place was obviously overwhelmed by the deluge of people who had come for Valentine's day. The waitress who seated us apologized in advance after telling us the kitchen was way backed up. Despite this, the food seemed to come out at a welcome pace, allowing us to fully enjoy the tasting menu. The chef even came out to welcome customers and help the staff with turning over tables. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014I booked a table 2 weeks in advance for Valentine's day but still had to wait 40 minutes to be seated and another 20 minutes to even receive a menu. There were several other diners waiting for a long time to be seated. The food came out pretty quickly, but our wine order was forgotten, and simple things like getting a refill on water took a long time. They had obviously overbooked and overstretched themselves. The food was quite good -- particularly the lamb and eggplant dishes -- but it wasn't enough to make the waiting and overall poor service experience worth it.
- Beautiful food presentationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/13/2014Beautiful food presentation and wonderful ingredients.Special Features:
- A gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2014We were thoroughly pleased from start to finish. We chose the tasting dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, for your wonderfulFaithDined on 2/7/2014Thank you, for your wonderful food and good presentation. I enjoyed the mouth watering lamb dish. I loved the spices and the healthy food served. Wonderful flavors and spices. I will see you again soon. My dinner party had a meeting and were able to here each other well over wonderful food and deserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Flavors in a Pleasant SettingNerdychickDined on 2/7/2014We loved our tasting menu and the service was great. The service was attentive and our server explained things carefully and kindly.Special Features:
- Don't dine there!TitiakbarDined on 2/6/20141- very expensive 2- food was good. They feed you a lot of small portions of appetizers and lots of bread at the beginning. 3- the main entrees were very small portions. Rip-off! 4- scary neighborhood - not worth your life 5- would not go back again
- As always, outstanding foodOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 2/4/2014This was perhaps the tenth time I've eatien here: the food is always amazingly interesting and wonderful. The service was attentive (not only the servers: the owner/chef came out to the tables to make sure the diners were enjoying their meals). The restaurant itself is great and the only downside to Radio Africa is the neighborhood. But, clearly, that is not enough to deter me: I really enjoy this place.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!ScillaDined on 2/1/2014The ambience was great, our waitress was very friendly and attentive and explained each dish as they came out. The food was presetned well and tasted great. Would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, very niceFarrenDined on 1/29/2014Excellent food, very nice feeling, low key and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for a group of friendsBB23Dined on 1/28/2014We celebrated a birthday of one of our co- workers. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was just right. The chef puts a lot of heart into his cooking and it comes through. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tasting menu! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/24/2014Wonderful tasting menu! We especially enjoyed the barramundi, cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic....once you're insidestacyDined on 1/23/2014once inside, it was fantastic. just wish they would not have picked that areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special GemJoyceDined on 1/18/2014This out of the day restaurant is worth the drive. Parking is not a problem (or easy to take the T line Muni). Food creative, very good and priced right! Don't let the drive out to the neighborhood stop you from trying this great restaurantSpecial Features:
- Incredible food - we werep1cky3at3rDined on 1/17/2014Incredible food - we were stunned at how delicious it was. The restaurant could have definitely raised prices by 10-15$ per dish and no one would have complained.Special Features:
- Really delicious food...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/15/2014...and an awesomely priced, well-selected (though small) wine list. Plus two large tables that look to hold 8-10 if you have a larger group. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tune into a Radio Africa.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/11/2014Like a catchy song you can't get out of your mind, I keep thinking about our dining experience at Radio Africa. Located in the Bayview area of San Francisco, this newly remodeled restaurant location surprises you with great food, excellant service, and a wonderful dining experience. We arrived at opening time on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was empty and the staff appeared to be still setting up. Service was slow in the beginning but really came around at the end. We had the tasting menu. Every course was prepared elegantly and each dish combined all flavors into a wonderful mix. Service improve during the course of the meal with the waitstaff timing each different dish appropriately and also explaining each dish to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bayview renaissance starts herejaneyoVIPDined on 1/9/2014Bayview is an easily accessible neighborhood by MUNI, and Radio Africa Kitchen gives San Franciscans an excuse to pay a visit. Modern African cuisine is on the menu and will suit meat/vegetarian/vegan tastes with complexly seasoned, seasonal fare. Every course is unique and delicious. Wine list is serviceable and straightforward.Special Features:
- Great place in sketchy neighborhoodJudyVIPDined on 12/19/2013We loved Radio Africa! The food is fantastic and original and so flavorful and beautifully presented. However, as two women coming alone from opposite directions, it was not the easiest place to find parking close by nor to walk through the groups of folks hanging out in front of the check cashing place on the corner. It was worth the inconvenience, however, especially at Travelzoo prices for the 5 course tasting menu.Special Features:
- Delicious, contemporary foodurbaneaterDined on 12/17/2013The chef does a contemporary mix of Ethiopian and cosmopolitan food. We had the tasting menu, delicious! We had a full dynamic range of dishes, from exquisitely prepared soups and vegetables to fish and perfectly cooked lamb. All dishes were well seasoned and beautifully presented. I have been to this restaurant before and will dine there again. I rated the noise level as quiet, but we ate early (before the usual SF dining time). Out of the way, but you can get there easily on the T line, getting off at Third and Oakdale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT food and it's different!IMREADYTOEAT123VIPDined on 12/14/2013Great food and good friendly service. Veggie friendly and the food is different but good and interesting. They use lots of veggies and meats in a new African inspired way, it's not the traditional Ethiopian food and it's got spices and flavors from other countries too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Bayview, SF.doojemDined on 11/23/2013First time this location. Really lovely people, ambience, quiet jazz. Relaxing. Food is great. It's very reasonable! Responsive and able to accommodate specific dietary needs. Have liked in a different location before. Even better this time. Feels like an area you want to think about what's showing in your car. You want this place to succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in the BayviewZorphoDined on 11/16/2013I finally made it to RAK and I will go back as often as I can! We found a menu with something for everyone without being overwhelmed by a bunch of pretentious options; the food was excellent; the space is open and ambient; and the service was perfect: no one lingered over us but checked in at reasonable intervals. The prices could not have been better for high-quality cooking. I'll go back alone, with friends, or with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unusual food , artisticallyShariVIPDined on 11/7/2013unusual food , artistically presented, scrumptious to eatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Radio Africa & KitchenjsswlaDined on 10/25/2013Delicious jambalaya with shrimp, chicken, kale & okra with bold flavors. Good portions. Enjoyed the music & nice ambiance if you like dim restaurants. Clean, earthy decor & attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant in bad placeGregoryDined on 10/24/2013Great restaurant in bad neighborhood. Food is fantastic. Service is good. Neighborhood is terrible.Special Features:
- Worth a trip to BayviewHolterwillDined on 10/19/2013Interesting, non-threatening, exotic food, prepared with fine ingredients and great skill. About 30% cheaper than it would be in a trendy neighborhood. I've been there twice and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious diningYummyVIPDined on 10/18/2013The Food was prepared perfectly with wonderful combinations. We had the tasting menu ( which included the appetizers, entree and dessert ), we enjoyed everything we ordered. The sea bass and flank stake entrees were very flavorful and well seasoned. The service was very friendly, knowledgeable and timely. We will go back.Special Features:
- Nothing too specialcooliosDined on 10/12/2013Had the 5-course chef tasting menu for 2. Was expecting Western cuisine with an African twist, but most of the dishes didn't have that. With the tasting menu, the price wasn't worth it for the portions you get... might as well order a-la carte, which had much bigger portions at lower price.
- Beautiful space. Very friendlyGem2Dined on 10/10/2013Beautiful space. Very friendly staff, though service was at times slow. Noise level horrendous on evening we went cuz they had live singer whose ear-splitting voice overpowered ALL conversation. Wait staff was apologetic but didn't seem to be able to do anything about it. We had a tasting menu, and to tell the truth, I don't feel I can fairly judge the quality of the food just based on that. Though the samples of cabbage salad, lamb & fish were excellent, the other dishes offered for tasting were not particularly outstanding. However, I got the feeling that as fully plated entrees or appetizers, the experience would have been more satisfying. Will return to give place another try cuz I've heard such good things about the chef for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- africa at homejohnsonDined on 10/8/2013Bvhp is special. Radio Africa across from one of SF's oldest opera house. And like the opera, Radio Africa seranades food & culture & community. A Michelin restaurant w better and more attentive service than @americanfishLV.Special Features:
- Bayview gemSfdigmomDined on 10/4/2013Finally, a destination restaurant in the Bayview! Think of the food as African-fusion, familiar (African) spices and ingredients, but used in a more contemporary and sophisticated way. From appetizers to dessert it is obvious that the chef is very talented. I plan on going back to try more of his dishes. Service was friendly and prices VERY reasonable. Wine list is limited, so bring your own if this is important to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerCheryldDined on 9/27/2013We really enjoyed our experience at Radio Africa. The food was amazing and also unique. This was our third visit and we are already planning our next one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place worth a tripbaumDined on 9/18/2013Very fine chef's work on mixing smells and tastes in the sides and sauces. Fish perfectly cooked. Chocolate desert excellent. The place has a beautiful modern design and noise-absorbing ceiling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, wonderful service.IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2013Great food, wonderful service.I love this restaurant!Special Features: