3951 N Mississippi Ave
Portland, OR 97227Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.radarpdx.com/
- Phone: 5038416948x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 5:00pm - 9pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Radar
Radar is a neighborhood destination for great food and drink. Located on Mississippi Avenue, Radar offers New American cuisine, craft cocktails, and beer and wine, as well as a chance to watch the chefs in action in the open kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Radar reviews from OpenTable diners
12 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (3)romantic (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Always goodkdaphotoDined on 6/26/2014Radar always has delicious, imaginative foodl The mix of scandinavia with East Coast roots done in the Pacific Northwest works well. Since everything is meant to share you get to taste everything. Definitely get the smoked bluefish pate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thisfredDined on 6/22/2014Radar does small plates really, really well, and at a price that means you can afford to come back often and check out the frequent menu changes!Special Features:
- BarryDined on 6/15/2014Good place to eat, service was a little slow and the food was good just nothing to rave aboutSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and interesting barPatCDined on 6/11/2014We had a very tasty meal during the happy hour. Pulled Pork, risotto, arugula salad and the cauliflower were real stand outs. Bar makes many of its own ingredients. Loved the Night Owl.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- repeat eaterscurt66Dined on 6/10/2014...first time was 6 weeks into their stay...been back several times since and never disappointed...they change the menu often which is a huge plus for us...and the quality is always fantastic...do give it a go...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the Radar reviews archive.
- Tasty, friendly, and great portionsWMColmes14VIPDined on 5/31/2014We thought it was a 'small plates' place bc everything was about ~8-12 dollars. Thankfully our server let us know that the portions are very adequate. We both had the bluefish pâté to start; it was smoky and salty, and the accompaniment of deviled eggs and vinegar soaked vegetables helped even out the taste (along with the toast points). I went with the pork shoulder and grits; a nice smoky and spicy sauce over fresh hominy grits; they were lukewarm but the meat was hot and tender and tasty. She went with the super crunchy latkes, applesauce and crèmre fraiche side portion (our server told us that the regular portion is a good amount more. Threw in a cocktail and a tea and we were in at $44 for tip. A great deal for a great brunch!Special Features:
- One of our favorite spotsmrthreeDined on 5/11/2014Every time we go to Radar we think we should come back more often. The staff is so warm and friendly and the food is excellent.Special Features:
- Did not disappointHarve15Dined on 5/10/2014I've heard about this spot and figured it was time to visit. Loved the feel of the place, very friendly and we were greeted warmly. Food was unreal and totally worth it. As for cocktails - refreshing, and hit the spot. just before we left, I found out that the chef/owner (?) is a huge Tottenham fan - I will be back and join the fun to see Spurs in UEFA. Go Timbers!Special Features:
- I love Radar!YummyDined on 5/9/2014We've been several times and its always wonderful. The food is interesting and delicious. The service is always warm and attentive. The atmosphere is inviting and casual. It's our favorite spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just as good second time aroundkurtdDined on 5/6/2014This is a small casual restaurant in a vibrant neighborhood. Food is terrific and innovative. Service is helpful and friendly without being overbearing. Bluefish Pate was just as good as first time. Beef cheeks sound odd but taste delicious. Incredibly tender and flavorful. Worth the taxi or short drive from downtown.Special Features:
- One of the Best in PortlandTravelingmanVIPDined on 5/1/2014The young Chef and his charming Wife run the Restaurant, and it shows. The greeting is warm, the drinks and food exceptional.My Wife and I, and with other couples have yet to be the slightest bit disappointed with this Great Restaurant.Special Features:
- Love it!love2eatanddrinkDined on 4/25/2014I love everything about this place. The food is SO GOOD! Try the pork/grits/chile...it is crave-worthy. But don't stop there; it's all delicious. The service, from hostess/owner to wait staff to bartender (just to name a few) are always fun and friendly and make you feel like they are sincerely happy to see you, which makes me smile. I appreciate that they do reservations on OT now; so convenient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findFoodieSueDined on 4/3/2014We had never heard of this restaurant and stumbled in on a Thursday evening. What a pleasant surprise. It is a long narrow restaurant so not good for groups but great for two or four people. Happy hour is 5-7PM and we found some great options there. The entrées are very reasonably priced. We had grilled Char over a bed of creamed spinach with roasted beets and it was absolutely sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch or dinnerSarahVIPDined on 3/30/2014I've been to Radar a few times now: for dinner, for happy hour and for brunch. I've brought my child and have gone for an adult night out. The cocktails are divine and alone, are worth coming for. The food is inventive and high quality. A fantastic value. The brunch is just as good as their dinners. They are warm and friendly, which is to be expected for a small establishment like this one. It does not disappoint. If you are coming with children or a large group, I recommend you make the reservation and note that. There are only 2 larger tables to accommodate more than 4 people. Otherwise, you will be sitting on high bar stools, either at the bar, or tall tables.Special Features:
- Take TwoPearlFoodieVIPDined on 3/21/2014The perfect spot for dinner for two. It was our second time at Radar and our experience lived up to our first vist when we were thrilled to have discovered such a sexy little space with fab cocktails, delectable (but not at all precious) food and owners and waitstaff that are warm and welcoming without hovering (maintaining the intimacy of the evening). Kale salad (best in town), bluefish pâté, mussels with chorizo--all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recipe NIght ExpandedtdailyDined on 3/11/2014We cook every Tuesday night with a group of friends. This month they are gone on an adventure, so we decided that we would do some exploring of our own right here in Portland. Portland Dining Month just helped our decision along. Last Tuesday I picked Radar. The menu didn't disappoint, the dining month menu was fabulous - fish just right and the dessert was to die for. The char paired with creamed spinach was heavenly and the pinmenton potatoes were spicy with just a bit of heat. Our server was right there when we needed her and the fun thing of watching the two cooks prepare food was to our liking. Not a great place for large groups, but four can be comfortable and the quiet atmosphere works well for romance.Special Features:
- Radar has now become one ofmomaDined on 3/8/2014Radar has now become one of my favorite Portland restaurants. The service was impeccable with even better food and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find for usFromBendDined on 2/27/2014Located in the "happening" Missisippi District, Radar fits the neighborhood. The atmosphere is lively and fun , the service is great and the food is innovative and delicious. Radar is well worth the short drive from downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small space with big taste!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/20/2014Great experience. Reserved their only table for 8 and we squeezed together for a lovely happy hour of tasty small plates and creative drinks. The food was exceptionally tasty from the tender melt-in-your-mouth beef cheeks (a must try) to the roasted cauliflower. Cocktails were creative and smooth tasting. Can't remember their names, but I suspect any choice you make would be a taste treat. The wait staff was friendly and caring of our needs. Atmosphere noisy but convivial. The mix of our happy group with the positive offerings of Radar PDX made for a memorable evening. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- great scene. food missed markOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014food was average at best for the price point. ordered brussel sprouts (good), risotto (bland), mizuna salad (bland), and tomato soup (horrible). Its a cute comfortable restaurant located in the middle of the energetic mississippi scence. The bartender and staff were excellent, but the kitchen needs to step it up a notch.Special Features:
- seriously greatDanielDined on 2/14/2014We love Radar. Just a great great spot to have awesome food and watch the action happen in the kitchen. The staff works so well together and they always take such good care of us. Thanks Radar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Date NightLumbermanDined on 2/14/2014Enjoyed a great Valentines dinner at Radar. Great food, ambiance and staff. Radar hit this one out of the park. Impeccably clean kitchen. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- 2 out of 6Kai1Dined on 2/14/2014We had high hopes based on previous reviews, but our Valentine's eve experience was exceedingly poor. 4 out of the 6 course fixed menu had to go back barely touched. Poor combinations of individual items, poor execution on even simple things like salad (bitter), lack of taste (lobster bisque). We seriously considered just walking out by the third course... Stayed because we had a half bottle of wine left, which was the only tasty item of the evening. Very disappointing.
- Very spicy! They bring the heat.SFfoodieVIPDined on 2/8/2014We were in Portland during a "blizzard" and didn't want to go far from our hotel. This cute neighborhood restaurant was delightful. They serve a delicious bluefish pate which I haven't had since the old days in Legal Seafood in Boston. Legal got rid of it a few years back, so I was really happy to have some again. Otherwise, the restaurant uses a lot of spice. If you are into spicy, you will be happy with the menu. I'm not into spice so much, but the bluefish pate was not spicy. Husband really enjoyed his shrimp and other dishes. I even tried the mole ice-cream although I was warned it would be spicy, it wasn't too bad. I would definitely return when I am in Portland and keep picking around the spicy dishes for ones I prefer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates, big pleasureMimiDined on 2/4/2014Absolutel delicious plates, i still remember every detail of each plate and cocktail we had, because the palate is so perfectly selected. Considered this a special treat and will definitely do it again. The highlight dish was rhe bluefish paté with house pickled vegetables. Get it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute, good food, but uncomfyProudpdxerDined on 2/2/2014Cute, good food, but uncomfy seating - and what with all the serving dishes involved and very small tables, it felt very Portlandia.
- Great food, but small spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/31/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Radar. Food is small plates style, so be prepared to share. Cocktails are tasty. The restaurant is long and narrow so other than a larger table at the front, you'll either be sitting at the bar or at a tall bar table for 2. They squeezed 3 of us at one of those small tables, which was OK for us, but might not be for everyone. The servers did a fantastic job making sure the food was timed so the table was never too full. I would go back, but probably only as a two-some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like home only better!LoriVIPDined on 1/24/2014This little gem is not only great for the libations, food and ambiance, but the owner is so very nice! She is warm, inviting and so are all the servers. They give you a great run down of the menu, help you order just the right amount of food for sharing, and are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The kale salad with peanut dressing, golden raisins, and mint is sublime! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and inventive dinningkurtdDined on 1/24/2014A great find for us in an energetic neighborhood. Smoked Bluefish Pate stands up really well to native East Coast versions. Clams were also excellent. Small place so probably best for couples or small groups. Very helpful and friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best well kept secretAlleycatDined on 1/24/2014amazed I can get seated without waiting. This will not go on for long as the secret is getting out. Great food, nice atmosphere, good menu.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsNEPDXDined on 1/22/2014We went to Radar on a last minute whim and were pleasantly surprised. The wait staff is very friendly (but does not intrude) and offers excellent suggestions. Our food selections were well prepared with excellent ingredients. We look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/12/2014Fresh, delicious, great vibe. Everyone of us as very happy. Wonderful voddie mary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and drinks, good foodbuttersaltDined on 12/29/2013I recently dined at Radar and had a great experience. We visited with my 82 year old mother in law, so while we had a reservation, she was not anticipating eating at the bar, where the restaurant intended to seat us. The staff were extremely accommodating and comped our delicious drinks because we had to wait about 35 minutes for a table. That was a very classy move, and we had a great night. If it were just me and my partner, we'd have been delighted to eat at the bar, and will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Radar saves the night !OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/29/2013I had friends visiting from the LA area, who had waited 3 hrs the evening prior at another restaurant- I wanted to be sure this did not happen again. Radar is a small restaurant, but thanks to Open Table our name was on the list and when we arrived it only took 10 minutes to get sat at the table I had asked for! The food was really fantastic, so flavorful and the plates are perfect for sharing. The service was outstanding, the host, server and the chef all took such good care of us. The food was so good, my guests in from LA immediately wrote a yelp review as well as told the concierge at the hotel they were staying at to recommend it. It's been there just over a year, what a great new addition for Mississippi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service but coldeaterDined on 12/18/2013The food and service were great as always, but it was very cold inside. Made it hard to enjoy everything else.Special Features:
- Great Meeting PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/17/2013Great happy hour and small plates. Love meeting friends here. Cozy atmosphere, nice music and very friendly competent wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Genuine Care and QualityDanielDined on 11/16/2013We love Radar. It's refreshing to see this little gem succeed without big marketing or advertising but simply off the talent and care of the owners and staff. NOTE: only two large tables so make sure to reserve if going with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013This place is awesome! This weekend was my fourth time art Radar since discovering it a month ago. The plates are small in size but not in flavor or creativity. So good. Lily is the owner and most often runs the front of the house with warmth and grace. She makes amazing cocktails as well! Radar has limited seating so make a reservation for a large group, I fit eight people in one of the window seats and it was perfect! The intimate setting allowed each diner to engage.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RadarAmliebDined on 11/3/2013Great for date night! Offered a wonderful happy hou menu and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first visit toTigardTDined on 11/2/2013This was our first visit to Radar and we will most definitely be back. Food was excellent and different (in a great way) from what you get in most restaurants. Small plates that are sharable make this a more intimate dining experience as we all compared our reactions to tastes, textures. Prices are very reasonable. Service was stellar. Definitely a 5 star.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.