3140 Environ Way
Chapel Hill, NC 27517Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.raagafinedining.com/
- Phone: (919) 240-7490
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Saturday - Sunday 12pm - 3pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Friday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Contemporary Indian
- Executive Chef: Master Chef Gamer Rawat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room can accommodate up to 35 people for any of your business or causal events. See our banquet menu at
- Private Party Contact: Drew Smith 9192407490
A word from Raaga
Raaga features the traditional and contemporary Indian cuisine of James Beard-nominated Chef Durga Prasad. The extensive menu features a wide variety of vegetarian and non-vegetarian choices using local, organic produce and seafood, as well as the finest quality halal meats. The wine list is extensive and eclectic, and features selections hand-picked by our resident sommelier. Experienced and friendly staff guide you through your dining experience. Located in the idyllic East 54 community, less than a mile from the UNC-Chapel Hill Campus and a short commute from Durham and Raleigh.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Raaga reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (15)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (7)romantic (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for lunch (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- The food was great, but the service was terrible.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014We arrived at 6:15 and didn't get our food until 7:40. First, our hostess forgot to tell any of the servers that we were there, and when we finally gave our drink orders, it took another 20 minutes to receive those. After we ordered, they forgot what we ordered and had to come back after 10 minutes to ask us again. The food was great when it finally came, although we didn't receive all the naan we asked for.
- Wrong order - trust me!TarheeldineDined on 10/29/2014I ordered the Chicken Vindaloo, which I've had before at this this restaurant. It was described on the menu as being cooked in Green Chili which I particularly like. When the order came, the chicken was instead cooked in red chili gravy. I asked the waitress why it looked different as it didn't look like the chicken Vindaloo I've had before. She said that "because I had ordered a more spicy version of the dish it changes color!!" The most ridiculous excuse in replacement of admitting a mistake. Going from a green chili based sauce (as described on the menu) to a red chili gravy completely changes the dish. It is no longer chicken vindaloo in Green Chili sauce as described on your menu!Special Features:
- Best Indian food in the areasamboliDined on 10/7/2014Vibrant flavors. Wonderful curries. Dahl is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintains it's high quality.DougCVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have been to Raaga a number of times and the quality of the Food and service is always high. Unfortunately the Sitar player (weekends only) has moved into a corner and is really only audible for a small section of the restaurant. For us he really added to the ambience of the dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usual standardsmangoDined on 9/21/2014We have been to Raaga 4 times previously - all stellar experiences. This time was far below par - food was not as good, service was slow and unprofessional. Some dishes had been changed - for the worse.
- Great night outSQHarmonDined on 9/18/2014Knowledgable and attentive staff, beautiful food presentation, generous portions. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food--poor serviceEALNCDined on 9/13/2014We have been to Raaga many times, but this time was a real disappointment. Our waiter seemed bored out of his mind or asleep at the wheel. There was a 30-45 minute interlude between the appetizers and the mains when he didn't seem to remember that we were there, and when the food arrived it tasted like it had been sitting under a heat light for about that long. The tandoori murgh shanhaz, a favorite of ours, is supposed to arrive on a sizzling platter--this time it was lukewarm and distinctly not sizzling. Also, we ordered some white wine, which was set on the table just before this little "intermission" without an ice bucket or even a damp cloth; it was warm by the time the food finally arrived.Special Features:
- Generally excellent.DorothyDined on 9/12/2014However, we thought that the portion size for the Chilean Sea Bass was much too small for the $25 price and wouldn't order it again for that reason. (Just for context, we were a party of six who ordered four appetizers and four entrees for a table with two very light eaters.)Special Features:
- RogerWVIPDined on 9/12/2014Went for lunch and had the buffet. The food was quite good, but the buffet was not kept adequately filled.
- Excellent!!Sbs01Dined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Raaga. The decor is unique and beautiful and the good was delicious. The menu has so many appealing things; we definitely want to go back and try some other items. I love Indian food and this was one if the best Indian meals I have had. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!MaryDined on 8/1/2014Great food and ambience. We're wonderful about filling water in timely manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 146 reviews are from the Raaga reviews archive.
- Great dining experienceyumyumDined on 7/22/2014Except for the fact that their air conditioning was not working that night, we had a great dinner. It's a beautiful restaurant, very attentive and well trained servers, delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible serviceTriangleFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014It took over two hours to dine here. Three different serves, none sure who was really serving our table. Took 30 minutes just to get drinks, the manager did not even apologize when we complained. It took another 40 minutes to get the food. Appetizers were extra spicy, Lamb Vindaloo had potatoes in it (It says so on the menu, but I have never seen that at any other Indian restaurant). It must be a way to reduce the amount of lamb. I used to recommend this restaurant before to my non-Indian friends. But no more.
- Raaga ReviewWilltravelforgoodfoodDined on 7/18/2014Great service, interesting menu of different Indian regions dishes,I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerdrdahhanVIPDined on 7/16/2014One of the best Indian cuisines I ever tasted. It's great. The chef has a great talent. Like it with family and friends.Special Features:
- Beautiful and tastycydc86Dined on 7/10/2014Stunning interior decor with covered patio seating. Enjoyed every dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food with a gourmet feelncmathsadistDined on 6/26/2014Yes, this is a little more expensive than most Indian restaurants. But the food truly comes in a higher level. It is a worthy pick when you want a high-quality meal with a little difference. They have an excellent selection of wines and beers.Special Features:
- Quiet eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/21/2014I hate restaurants that have exposed ceilings with no soundproofing - some consider that a modern style, but it makes the place unpleasantly noisy and hard to converse. This was great food in a quiet, restful setting.Special Features:
- I've had betterwescoastuncDined on 6/17/2014Been to Raaga several times - even more times when it was still Sitar. This time the food was extremely bland. Tikka masala had no spice and was oily with a lot of small bits of chicken (all dark meat) as opposite to the more chunky cuts of chicken typically in the dish. The mango lassi was terrible this time - there was very little mango and they used too much yogurt. The garlic naan was undercooked. Hopefully this was just a anomaly.Special Features:
- Ok Indian FooddurhamiteDined on 6/4/2014Very cute decor, but the food was only ok. Service was slow, but maybe they were training new folks? If you're in the area and hungry, stop in for sure. But for impressive south Asian food, there are better options.
- DiDiTuTuVIPDined on 5/27/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Good parking . Nice decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/22/2014We've never been disappointed, always outstanding dishes and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raaga rocksnotthere56Dined on 5/10/2014The food at Raaga is wonderful. We have never had a dish there that we didn't think was less than great. I hesitate to recommend anything over anything else because it's all so good, but I'd go so far as to say that the scallop dishes and the appetizer sampler are great and the chicken I had was the only thing that was just okay. The service is fine; if I have any complaint about this restaurant it'd be that sometimes more than one person waits on us and it gets confusing. They have two TVs over the bar, which were playing sports when we came in, which greatly cheapens the overall vibe to us. However, when we asked if they'd be willing to turn them off, they did, and they remained off the rest of the time we were there.Special Features:
- Pretty restaurant, lovely foodSBGNCDined on 5/8/2014They have done a nice job of converting a sterile box into something that feels authentically Indian. There are nice alcoves and booths for group privacy. The sound level is nicely muted. I have been there three times and the food is consistently good. Murgh Tikka Masala is very good. This time we tried a vegetable stuffed pepper dish and it was really nice. There are so. Many Indian restaurants in town now that competition is tough. Mathis one deserves to be near the top.Special Features:
- RaagaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014The food is authentic and delicious. We dine here at least once a month and have tried almost everything in the menu. We haven't found a thing we do not like yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious and appealingallen96VIPDined on 4/19/2014We went to Raaga for dinner and I was very impressed. The food was some of the best Indian I've had, the service was quite pleasant, and the sitar was nice background music. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Indian FoodsumtanDined on 4/13/2014excellent menu and food. Extensive menu. Lots to choose from. Great location. Easy parking. Service was also very good. I would recommend RAAGA to those interested in exceptional INDIAN cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Indian cuisine!samboliDined on 4/3/2014We experienced Raaga for the first time last week and were delighted by the complex flavors and comfortable surroundings. The dal was the best we've tasted outside of India. The flavors of nan were numerous. The Malabar Machee was exquisite. We recommend the appetizer sampler. We will definitely go back. Also, the harp music was sweet for background ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An evening in IndiaLSMaDined on 3/26/2014We were devotees of this restaurant when it was Saffron and are pleased to see that it has continued the same quality dining experience. Because of its location near UNC campus, Ragaa is perfect for when we entertain visiting professors. The food is delicious and the ambience conducive to discussion with guests. We enjoyed the Bhindi (lightly battered and fried okra) and sample platter appetizers. The okra is a favorite - crisp, light, and flavorful. I had the scallops which were perfectly cooked (soft in middle - not overcooked and dry) and my husband had the chicken tika masala which is sweet and delicious. Our server was very knowledgeable about the wine list and assisted in our order of a French Malbec. A lovely dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find!NittanyLyonsDined on 3/16/2014We were looking for a nice Indian restaurant in our trip to Chapel Hill. It had a great little atmosphere, delicious food, and kind servers. A great find in a Chapel Hill in a trendy new shopping center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful food, great ambienceBrianDined on 3/14/2014We've been several times ---while it was called Saffron and since it became Raaga. On weekend nights they often have a sitar player, which we very much enjoy. The vibe is chill the lights are low. A key element for us is that while they don't specifically have a kids menu, crayons, etc. (which is OK by us) they are totally cool with kids provided they're not unruly. Given our babysitter challenges this aspect is greatly appreciated. It helps too that our son (5) likes chicken tikka masala. Overall, whether you're with kids or not, the staff are all very courteous. We definitely recommend it and plan to return. At the very least, if you enjoy Indian cuisine, Raaga is a restaurant worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible wait timefoodie123Dined on 3/1/2014When we arrived table wasn't ready. Too slow in food to arrive. We waited more than hour to get to our food. Total time spend was 8 pm to 11.30 pm service was that slow !!!! Food is amazing can be less oily. But wait time kills the wish to visit the restaurant again.
- The buffet was great. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/21/2014The buffet was great. The fact that they didn't have any disabled parking in front of the restaurant was problematic. Like most restaurants in Chapel Hill, disabled parking is limited.Special Features:
- Great Indian RestaurantravikanuriDined on 2/20/2014WE always enjoy our visits to Raaga -- great food and consistently good service. We had out-of-town visitors this visit and the owner and the Manager of the restaurant made us and our guests very special!! We really appreciated that kind gesture. I would highly recommend this special restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to celebrate!FoodSeekerDined on 2/17/2014It was my birthday, and I've always wanted to check Raaga out, so my friend treated me to dinner. It was a Monday, and not very crowded, so the surroundings were quiet. Funny, we both felted a little chilly at first, but from the first bite of food, we forgot about a chill, and were totally warmed before finishing our chicken appetizer! the entire experience was WONDERFUL!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special experienceAllisMomDined on 2/14/2014Great ambience and decor, fabulous food, and courteous, attentive service. Unobtrusive sitar music sets the mood of quiet, romantic, escape. This chef deserves his fine reputation. You should try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tasty tastyRyanWDined on 2/14/2014The chef is a James Beard nominee and relocated to Chapel Hill from NYC. Everything we had was outstanding and we'll be returning. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a buffet!DougCVIPDined on 1/25/2014We visited for Restaurant Week. The menu choice was limited, of course, but every item we had was very well prepared and presented. It was a Saturday night so there was live Sitar music, nery nice but not obtrousive. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Staff who carecyanneDined on 1/24/2014I was here Friday night on January the 27th for dinner with a friend. The food was, as expected, really delicious but what really blew us away was the service. The table next to us had a customer who had a gluten intolerance. Their server, who was also ours, took care to make sure that the customer's meal could be prepared gluten free and even went so far as to ask if it was alright if the fried appetizers could be prepared in the same fryer as ones that had gluten. After the customer confirmed that this was okay, a manager came by a few minutes later. He wanted to make sure that it was simply gluten intolerance and not Coeliac disease. My friend and I were impressed by the manager's knowledge and his concern for the customer's health.Special Features:
- DeliciousAustintouristVIPDined on 1/22/2014The Triangle has a good number of excellent Indian restaurants; Raaga is definitely among the top few. We enjoyed everything -- the flavors were incredible and the presentation gorgeous. Our server was very helpful with recommendations and our food came promptly.Special Features: