RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
SushiPrice: $30 and under
RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rasushi.com/
- Phone: 6193210021x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 3:00pm-1:00am (bar only after 11 p.m.)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary Asian, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Tai Obata
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering both on and off-site which includes party platters, sushi chefs, and even a portable sushi case if requested. Please call the store and speak with a manager for more information.
- Entertainment: Get Hooked Up! Want to score a $20 RA gift certificate every year during the month of your Half Birthday? Sign up for our preferred customer email program, The Hook Up. In addition to the sweet gift certificate, you'll be the first to hear about food and drink specials, parties, events and all other happenings in the RA. Go to our website to Get Hooked Up.
A word from RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego
It’s more fun in the RA with lively music, a vibrant crowd, inventive cocktails and innovative Japanese fusion cuisine. Whatever you choose, it’s all served with a big side of Anything Can Happen. So bring your friends or make new ones. Either way, you’re in for a great time.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (17)hot spot (14)fit for foodies (13)late-night find (10)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (6)romantic (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great Sushi but $$$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014This is the second time I have been to RA Sushi Bar. Its noisy on a Saturday evening but the vibes are positive and the service was excellent. The sushi is to die for, and if I an consuming raw fish I don't mind paying the extra $$ to make sure it is the best San Diego has to offer. I will be back again!Special Features:
- Bad food. Bad serviceAMorlettVIPDined on 9/20/2014Our food was absolutely gross:( i could not eat my sushi roll. Our server was not attentive at all we waited so long to order and never asked if we needed anything. The whole experience was bad we will not be returning to this place!
- Average SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014I been to many sushi rest. And this has to be hands down the worst one. Nothing special about this place. I would have been better off spending 10 bucks for a bento box at the mall.
- Great food and serviceMaryd43Dined on 8/30/2014The sushi was excellent, lots of different rolls to choose from. Great service and atmosphere. Great place to eat before seeing a show at House of Blues right across the street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi SurprisesiouxbDined on 8/30/2014Imagine my surprise when my erstwhile sushi shunning teen said "Yes!" to sushi on a recent trip to San Diego. And imagine my delight to find RA Sushi, with great sashimi (the teen did a salmon-fest, and it was delectable), imaginative rolls, and wonderfully creative appetizers. Two items bear special mention: the crunchy spicy tuna appetizer and the coconut creme brulee. Have the appetizer to tantalize your tastebuds. The rice is crisp on the outside, soft kernels on the inside, a little creamy, a little crunchy, with the zing of spicy tuna and some hot chili sauce. And while the rolls and sushi are outstanding, it is worth saving a little room for the creamy, just-sweet-enough creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We had a large group and were catered to amazingly. No hassle and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun and tastybebedubsDined on 8/18/2014Even though it's a chain, we love to hit up RA when we're in San Diego. It's usually pretty lively in there, and they have fun cocktails. The staff is friendly & the sushi is tasty. The Crazy Monkey roll is great, and the Chili Ponzu Yellowtail is excellent whether you get the roll version or not. For dessert, go with the Coconut Creme Brulee or the Cinnamon Tempura Gelato (this one's pretty big). I'd say skip the Miso soup, too salty, and the only thing I've had here that I didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJrsygirlDined on 8/17/2014It was a good time. Nothing amazing it remarkable but good none the less. We asked the server to pick something and the roll wasn't the best ever but it was the most expensive on the menu. When asking for a recommendation I wish they would have based it on the food quality and taste- not the price point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!erpohlDined on 8/1/2014Happy hour is a great value especially since it lasts to 7 pm. Went on a Friday night with my 10 yr old and 15 yr old who is a vegetarian. Lots of choices for everyone, very accomidating. Server was very pleasant. Great experience, definately recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ra SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Food was great, we really enjoyed everything. Although, we wish we got more for what we payed for and that I could have used my $20 half birthday coupon.Special Features:
- SandiegorocksDined on 7/5/2014We were upset at the fact that our server did not box up our remaining food. She just dropped off the boxes for us to do it ourselves.Special Features:
- Sushi meets big box chain rest.Hungry1SDVIPDined on 6/28/2014I had tix to see a show downtown and selected RA due to it's location. It wasn't aware it was a chain sushi restaurant, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad things. It was more like a trendy club inside or a chain restaurant than your traditional sushi joint. The food was good. I ordered a specialty roll that was way to large to eat with chopsticks. It was tasty, but messy. They advertise a happy hour menu with happy hour priced drinks. These drinks, including glasses of wine, went for up to $12. Is a $12 glass of chardonnay really happy hour?
- RA SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/22/2014Not your typical atmosphere, more like a disco. Very loud and distracting, colorful ambiance. Found the menu to be confusing. Salad was fresh and tasty, spicy miso soup very good. Sushi was fresh and tasty but teriyaki chicken so so, and sushi tacos were bland. Server very sweet and attentive.Special Features:
- The following 28 reviews are from the RA Sushi Bar Restaurant - San Diego reviews archive.
- Fun, Trendy, and YummyTinaDined on 5/31/2014I loved this place! Great sushi, and an excellent energetic vibe. We had reservations for 8pm, and ended up staying till about 10 because we got drinks and were hanging out... Super fun place right across the street from Horton Plaza, and right on the Gaslamp District!Special Features:
- birthday celebrationdynagirl97Dined on 5/31/2014was there for birthday celebration, excellent food and service first table we were sat at was in the direct path back and forth to kitchen, request to move and was accommodated not the best table but it was better. Do you no longer offer the birthday promotion? The person celebrating their birthday never received any email or mailer. Overall it was a great eveningSpecial Features:
- Always good!MikeVIPDined on 5/28/2014Ra consistently delivers on good food and good times! One of the best combinations of ambiance and sushi in downtown SD. I didn't waste any time coming here when I moved to the East Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and peopleJINSHDined on 5/23/2014Loved this place. Young, vibrant crowd (20's-30's), delicious food and an unbeatable happy hour.Special Features:
- Wonderful Birthday OutAVnsnDined on 4/4/2014Had a very enjoyable experience and will come back. A lot of fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would come back againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/28/2014I always love to eat here, especially for happy hour. The choices are a bit slim, but I went here on a friday night and it was a breeze. My boyfriend and I had great service, and the location is perfect for a night out after! We spent less than twenty dollars and we ordered fancier items. We didn't leave too full or feeling unsatisfied. I would definitely come back when I'm back in town. The reservation really helped cut the wait too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Md night outOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2014RA team went way out of their way to make sure my night with guests went perfectly. Had my apps and wine ready as we entered the establishment which impressed my guests. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible servicescottiejayDined on 3/22/2014Some of the food initially came quickly, but several of the people in our group did not receive their food until after 45 minutes and many attempts to get our waiters attention. Would not come back.
- good food, fair serviceeLLeDined on 3/8/2014I've been here before and never been disappointed by the food. The server was very polite yet forgetful. We had a group of 9 so he had us fill out our order on two separate sushi lists so it would be sure to split the bill that way... Yet when the bills came, they were totally mixed up. Also the food came out at different times so we had some people finish their sushi before others had even received some. A few rolls were missed then delivered very late with no thought to remove them from the bill. Patrons understand that the kitchen gets backed up, but having good come an hour after we ordered it is ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Business DinnerMaggieVDined on 2/26/2014We had an excellent dinner. Our waitress was phenomenal and the pace of food delivery was perfect. I do not know the name of our server, but we were there on Wednesday night 2/26 about 6 PM at a table of 16.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the Sushi Spot!!BetsyDined on 2/14/2014Love this place! I've never had a bad experience, the staff is great and cheerful, very accommodating. I find that a great restaurant experience always starts with the first person to greet you, so I always appreciate a great smile!! I love the food, and the quality is great for reasonable prices, can't beat that. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that is looking for a chill inexpensive sushi spot to just go with friends and eat great food and relax or to celebrate any special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UniqueJeannieBDined on 2/12/2014The sushi was awesome!! Really different, with an amazing belnd of flavors!!Special Features:
- okdiningvixenDined on 1/31/2014I'm unfamiliar with sushi places in san diego. the food wasn't bad, there is better sushi out there but the crowd was really. interesting. there was a guy groping the girl next to him and practically dry humping at their table. it DID however seem a great place for groups, the general dining area had a few large groups celebrating birthdays etc and it seems a good establishment for a regular night with a group if you dont want to spend too much. I won't be going back.Special Features:
- It was my birthday weekend!AnnaDined on 1/31/2014I chose RA because the food is amazing and I also knew that they were going to be welcoming for my reservation which was such a big group of 18! Everybody loved the location and our waitress was awesome! ( I wish I could remember her name!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made Birthday extra-special!!!!BirthdayFunDined on 1/11/2014Family dinner to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. Bartender Eddie was awesome! Great energy! The food was absolutely delicious! The manager Paul came over to wish my daughter a happy birthday & gave suggestions on where to continue the party celebration! Of course the "kids" ended the nite at RA!! Thanks for a memorable evening!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good SushirandyVIPDined on 1/7/2014the sushi here is good, not great but decent and the service was awesome and the ambiance is nice, so i would go here againSpecial Features:
- groupsBirthdayGirl16Dined on 1/4/2014Don't go in a large group (11) because even if you have a reservation you need the entire party to be sat. And half the parties food came noticeably before the other halfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- they do separate checks forsarahVIPDined on 1/4/2014they do separate checks for the groups which is awesomeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not good2k14Dined on 12/31/2013We maid reservation for a group of 4 however 1 canceld. We get there on time 9pm they let is kno that it will be a wait to be seat since there is other Party's still having dinner. They seat us down in 5mints in a table for 2. I do informed the Hostess we are a group of 3 she apologies & says will have to wait longer. When they decided to seat us for dinner it had been an hour after our reservation. Food was good overall but the service did suck unproffesional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013I went with a party of 8 total. 4 kids (ages 6-11) and 4 adults. We arrived about 6 on new years eve for our reservation. To our surprise they were doing happy hour. They had a great selection of food and drinks, some almost half off. We ordered about 25 orders of different things and had all of the food on the table by 640. The service was fast and the food came out fast and accurate. Our server Dallas was awesome and very accommodating of the kids. Overall great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RA Sushi Wannabe ????lovinglifeDined on 12/25/2013RA Sushi is a chain restaurant, and I have eaten in a RA Sushi in Irvine, CA. This restaurant chain cannot decide whether its wants to be a loud, rowdy sports bar that serves great sushi with slow to nonexistent service, or a sushi/Japanese restaurant with a bar that features sports entertainment. Either way, its a tacky clash of styles that results in great sushi and food, mediocre to slow service, and a very loud venue where you cannot talk or hear your guests. Unfortunately, it was one of a few restaurants opened in San Diego on Christmas. Unless you are hard up for great sushi, I would recommend going somewhere else.Special Features:
- I was suprised, in a good way.SDSCUBADined on 12/16/2013Did not have high hopes we I noticed that this was a chain restaurant, but the food and service were both excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing spectacular, but goodlfrenchVIPDined on 11/12/2013Fair sushi. Good vegetarian roll. Service was adequate. Sake menu is organized by dry/sweet ratings which is helpful. Good prices. Highlight was the seaweed salad. Good kimchi without fish-sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Japanese in San DiegoKatzVIPDined on 11/6/2013My husband and I are constantly looking for better Japanese restaurants that offer something different and new and delicious and we just found that here! The food is really good, fresh and the creativeness of the plates is something we really enjoyed. We will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night!sammydeeDined on 10/19/2013first time there and it was an awesome night, great food, good music, excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Energy Evening Out w FriendssmpaytonDined on 10/19/2013To celebrate my birthday, we went to Ra. The rolls are truly unique and extremely fresh. Everything we tasted got a groan of pleasure. It's a bit loud, so might not be best for quiet, intimate evenings, but fun for groups!Special Features:
- We were visiting and heardMRBJMVIPDined on 10/19/2013We were visiting and heard great things about RA. We ordered 3 sushi rolls and they were not good at all- we could barely eat them. We even mentioned it to the waitress and she just said sorry. After paying $63, we had to get dinner somewhere else as we were left hungry.