R Gang Eatery
3683 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
R Gang Eatery
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rgangeatery.com/
- Phone: 6196772845x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Tuesday - Thursday: 10:00am - 3:00pm, Friday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Happy Hour: Tuesday 3:00pm - closing, Wednesday - Friday 3:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Richard Sweeney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Chef Rich Sweeney tailor a customized menu to meet the needs of your next event of 20 or 200!
- Private Party Facilities: The second floor at R Gang Eatery is perfect for a private event / party space. The large room carries over the FUN atmosphere, with an emphasis on good food and drinks with friends. Please contact Gaby at Gaby@RGangEatery.com
- Private Party Contact: Gaby 6196772845x
A word from R Gang Eatery
Born from an idea that great food can be gourmet without being pretentious, and eating it should always be fun, R Gang is changing the fine dining dynamic with food & fun. We believe that what you put in your mouth is just as important as what comes out "oooohs, ahhhs, yums" and big belly laughs included.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
R Gang Eatery reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)late-night find (3)special occasion (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Mixed feelingsPointhoarderVIPDined on 9/27/2014When we first got there they had a lot of staff that looked liked they had nothing to do. We waited several minutes before our drink order was taken. They said they had a busy morning and when things died down, the service got better. Had the meatloaf benny and the turkey benny. The turkey was obviously a processed turkey roll. Bad choice. Meatloaf was better. Had the special tater tots that were okay. The Saturday lunch bartender was great. Very personable. Too bad the food isn't always up to par. Other restaurants around here have lines to get in. There may be a reason why this one doesn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealseminole94Dined on 9/27/2014I live in Iowa, but have made R Gang Eatery a must visit every time I'm in San Diego. Our most recent visit was wonderful. The tots are always incredible and our meals - Cap'n Crunch French Toast, Chicken & Waffles, and the Cowgirl Benny - were all delicious and more than filling.Special Features:
- EghAshleyDined on 9/1/2014Tasty Mango Nectar mimosa but my praise ends there. I had "The Cowboy" and was oh so disappointed. The potatoes had no flavor, bland and greasy sausage patties, worst Biscut I've ever had. The Biscut was hard and dry, not even a heap of gravy could make it edible. Still hungry after picking at my plate I ordered the cinnamon role. Huge mistake. It was less cinnamon role more so a dense, dry, flavorless lump with a giant dollop of poorly seasoned cream cheese icing. How did they mess a cinnamon role up SO badly? I mean truly, so awful. Our server Jason never asked how our food was and didn't mention the specials, which may have been tastier then what we ended up with. Really bad experience, I'd rather wait an hour and eat well at Hash House.
- TASTYsdn8tvDined on 8/23/2014The service was GREAT and the food even better. We have had dinner there before and thought to give brunch a try. The steak hash was awesome as was the south of the border benny! They also have some of the BEST tots I have ever tasted!Special Features:
- We love this place!!!DinerGirlDined on 8/2/2014We always enjoy eating at R Gang - the food and service couldnt be better. Give it a try - you wont be sorry.Special Features:
- not up to speedTable4U2Dined on 7/23/2014Looked at the menu on line & thought this place would be a good one to try. When we arrived, other than 1 other person, we were the only ones there. The service was good, but food was so so - bbq wings were tasty but the salad had tangerines that were not good at all - fermented. The dirty fries had some potential but were not well done enough & were soggy. The music was too loud & we requested to have it turned down & they did, that was nice. Keep in mind if you need handicap parking, there isn't any - had to drop off and then find a parking space 1 1/2 blocks away. Even when we left after an hour, there was only 2 people just sitting down... I am not sure this place will make it in this neighborhood... we won't be going back, sorry.
- ruben2445Dined on 6/26/2014Place was empty we where the only customers, and still took long time to get our food that was just OK
- The following 299 reviews are from the R Gang Eatery reviews archive.
- Comfort food at its bestruthiwVIPDined on 6/10/2014We discovered this neighborhood gem when looking for a restaurant close to the Old Globe. While the decor is nothing special, the service was superb and the food yummy. We began with their "famous tater tots", which come in three flavors. Didn't want to even consider the calories because they were so good. Then had wings which were not your standard wings but very flavorful; grilled cheese on delicious whole wheat bread with three cheeses; tomato soup which was creamy and went perfectly with the grilled cheese and last but not least, mac and cheese. Serious calorie night but delicious still.Special Features:
- Below Average ServiceSeanFVIPDined on 5/31/2014The food was good. The service was mediocre. We were the first group to enter the restaurant on Saturday morning. The waiter was pleasant at first. In the middle of our breakfast, I asked to see if the waiter can give me $2 in quarter (I had a $100 bill) so I can add additional time to our park-o-meter, he responded by saying "You need to go and ask the bar-tender". Now if I was asking for this in a situation where the restaurant was packed, I would understand that he did not have the time, but c'mon with the attitude. I go out to eat for the experience and the food. That attitude ruined the experience for me.
- not impressedbreakfastloverDined on 5/15/2014Read good reviews before we went but was overall very disappointed with the experience. Waitstaff was slow, inattentive even though we were basically the only ones there. I found a piece of chicken in my meal which was not supposed to be there. Food was okay.
- Good for brunchPointhoarderVIPDined on 5/10/2014Had the grilled cheese sandwich and the carnitas hash. Both were good but the hash could have had more flavor. They really push their tater tots but we did see tables where they only ate a couple of them and didn't finish the rest. Great service from the bartender who also had some tables to wait on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tang MimosaEateristaVIPDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed our Saturday brunch with endless mimosas. You do have to purchase an entree to have endless mimosas, but its a good thing to have something to munch on if you're downing mimosas for 3 hours (which is what my girlfriends and I totally did)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rude waiter, tiny portionsfoodiecuriousDined on 5/7/2014When two of us ordered iced tea instead of alcohol the servers demeanor changed and he was rude to us the rest of the time. He told us that a "full" appetizer would be twice the size of the "half" or happy hour sized appetizers, so we upped two of ours to full orders. He said to us that a "full" sized appetizer was MEAL SIZED. Two full appetizers and 2 half sized appetizers sounded like it could be enough then, so that's what we ordered. When the food finally came out (about 30 minutes later) there were only 3 chicken skewers in our "full sized" appetizer...and these are 2 bite skewers, not much at all. Basically, after spending $60 on dinner my husband had to get a burrito from somewhere else on the way home. Won't go back...
- Always Great !MarkandRicoDined on 4/19/2014Dinner was so good we went back for Breakfast the next day !Special Features:
- Fantastically Fun & Flavorful FoodFriendlyVIPDined on 4/15/2014We simply love the creative and ingenious fun foods at R Gang Eatery. Always an entertaining meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, unique casual diningRecentDinerVIPDined on 4/3/2014Nice menu with many choices of creative cuisine sides, entrees, etc, including half portions. You can go unhealthy (their famous tater tots, fried chicken, different kinds of mac and cheese) or healthier (salads, sandwiches, short rib pappardelle--which was delicious). I would return to try other items, including the tots.Special Features:
- BrunchObesDined on 3/22/2014We decided to come for the brunch and bottomless mimosas, which were both great choices on our part! We got the cheddar chive tater tots and cinnamon roll to start with and loved both of these items. And then we got our brunch. I got the chicken and waffles, which were delicious with their jalapeño infused maple syrup. My friends got the stuffed French toast and the pacos, which they all thought were really good. So we were all very happy with our food selections and would love to come back to try more things on the menu. But we were also pleasantly surprised and entertained by the staff. They were really friendly and helpful. So between the food, staff and overall experience I would love to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tater tots!!! Both ourlajollafavDined on 3/21/2014Great tater tots!!! Both our meals were amazing. Would definitely come back and recommend to anyone interested in good food, good ale list, and fast service. Will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveSPv1VIPDined on 3/14/2014Recent transplant and this is about my 10th restaurant in the area. By far one of my Favs!! Bartender was my waiter and impeccable timing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a delight to dineR8rsfanjeffVIPDined on 3/1/2014As always a delight to dine at RGang Eatery. Rich and his team have a very creative (and tasty!) interpretation of numerous American Classics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Girls Brunch!GraciSDDined on 2/22/2014We had a great time thanks to the awesome R Gangs Staff!Special Features:
- Great for Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/22/2014I was looking for a good brunch place that took reservations and R Gang Eatery popped up with great reviews so I figured, hey why not? I took my girlfriend there to have brunch and ask her to be my Bridesmaid and it was the perfect ambience. Our service was great, the atmosphere was great and I loved the energy of the staff. The menu options were great and unique! I had Captain Crunch French Toast and it was delicious! Iw ould definately come back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mac N Cheese , Tater TotsYummy1VIPDined on 2/15/2014Everything my two kids and I ate here was TO DIE FOR, comfort food taken to the next level!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014The cheese tater-tots were amazing! The menu doesn't look very impressive but everything they do, they knock out of the parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a place you must try!usmcbeastDined on 1/31/2014Whether you're visiting San Diego or live here year round, R Gang is a must. The food is unbelievably flavorful, yet not priced out of reach. Homemade tator tots will rock your socks! And for weekend brunch, the jalepeño infused maple syrup on the waffles...well, damn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All HypeButterflyFoodieDined on 1/18/2014I have learned my lesson about not believing everything you read on the Internet. This place supposedly had the BEST chicken & waffles! What they neglected to tell u is that u will have to wait about 100 years to get it! They are also known for their Cap'n Crunch Stuffed French Toast. We were very disappointed. Not only was everything cold & had to be sent back. We kept having to request refills of our coffees (also cold) & waters. We sat on the patio & the sun was directly in my friend's face. When she asked if one of the umbrellas could be adjusted, he said shook his head no. We eventually had to change tables. On a positive note, the fried chicken was seasoned to perfection & the 2nd round was very tasty. The drinks are delish too!Special Features:
- Food very averageSanDiegoTravellerVIPDined on 1/17/2014Comfort food with a twist. When not much effort is spent in sourcing quality ingredients, the food can tend to be bland and unexceptional - this was no exception. I was disappointed in the food, cocktails and dessert. Definitely not fit for foodiesSpecial Features:
- Breakfast JoyDarleneVIPDined on 12/31/2013I have been in literaily hundreds of breakfast places over the years; none have been as good as this one. My daughter and I shared the classic eggs Benny (the hollandise was superb) and the jalepeno/cornmeal/ cheddar waffle with jalepeno maple syrup. I cannot adequately describe how good this food is. If you are anywhere in the San Diego, CA area, make a special effort to eat here. The only drawback was the noise level. It was so loud as to be virtually unable to carry on a conversation. The couple next to us left. If you can get through this it is well worth it.Special Features:
- Must try for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013I love this place. Bloody Mary is to die. I wasn't crazy about the carnitas hash, but my friend got the cowgirl and it was amazing. I will definitely come back for bottomless mimosas when I don't have a full day ahead of me:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very SLOWCJKellyDined on 9/20/2013- food took too long to come out - when it did, my food was salty and not like it was described on menu - waitresses were nice, we think the problem was stemming from the kitchen - understaffed for a Friday night - in try compensate us, we felt they fell short in only discounting 2 dishes out of a table of 8
- The food is worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2013It's one of our go to breakfast spots for the food although the hostess continues to be abrasive. It's better to arrive with an OpenTable reservation to reduce the amount of time dealing with herI would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good food and great service!ZenMindedVIPDined on 8/31/2013This place has excellent food and great, friendly service! I am always surprised that it's not busier! If you are thinking about trying R Gang, definitely do it! You won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A large, empty restaurant...Hungry1SDVIPDined on 8/10/2013When we were seated for dinner at 8pm on a Saturday evening and there were only 6 other people in the restaurant, we knew we were in trouble. The service was fine- the waiter was friendly and bantered with us. The mixed drinks were disappointing--not strong. The entrees were forgettable-- my cold grilled zucchini salad had cold, soggy breadcrumbs on a thick and heavy bed of goat cheese paste; the risotto was overwhelming sweet; the pork sliders were tasty; the tater tots did not disappoint. I expected something more from a joint on 5th street. I'd try one of the many other places in the neighborhood before I'd consider going back.
- Don't waste your time & $ @ R Gang.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2013I went to R Gang with two other friends expecting a great dinner by what I read in their reviews. We ordered to their famous tater tots which ended up being tater flops for our appetizer. Then we all ordered something different from the menu for dinner and we were disappointed with all three dishes. For example I ordered Chicken and Dumplings. My plate literally had 3 tiny pieces of chicken and two huge pieces of fried dumplings on top. The dish was utterly sad to say the least. I will never go there again and I am warning all of my friends as well.
- Another yummy AND affordableElizabethVIPDined on 7/31/2013Another yummy AND affordable happy hour with tots and cherry limeaids.Special Features:
- Not great for vegetariansOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/27/2013I know that the trend in upscale comfort food and farm to table means there's a lot of meat on menus, but the vegetarian options should be good too. I had the Mediterranean scramble and was disappointed by the presentation (nothing but the scramble in a little bowl and the kalamata olives had made the eggs a weird grey color) and the lack of flavor (it was mostly eggs and very little of the ingredients). I wouldn't order that dish again and would prob stick to the tater tots next time if I'm still on a no meat kick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersjahhkeyDined on 7/26/2013We had an absolutely fabulous time at the R Gang Eatery, it was our first time there and we will definitely going back! Endless mimosas are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday BrunchFanzDined on 7/20/2013Great spot for Saturday brunch. Staff was super nice and prompt with refilling the bottomless mimosas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre at best,LunderfulDined on 7/13/2013Food was mediocre at best, I expected more from a top chef contestant. It's just a local place with bar food, nothing spectacular. Wait staff very personable and fun. Outdoor dining room great for cocktails on a nice day.Special Features:
- Really liked this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/13/2013Great comfort food. Excellent service. Enjoyable ambiance.Special Features: