888 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rbistro.com/
- Phone: 3174230312x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday through Saturday 5 pm to 10 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Erin Kem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available Sunday day and Monday evenings for special events, contact the restaurant for more details. Space available for 30-55 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Regina M Mehallick 3174230312x
A word from R Bistro
Executive Chef/Owner Regina Mehallick opened R bistro in 2001, blazing a trail for local, seasonal cooking in Indianapolis. Anchoring the east side of dynamic Mass Ave arts district, R bistro features a menu of brightly flavored, approachable dishes that changes weekly to emphasize Mehallick’s dedication to serving what is ripe in Indiana, including produce from her own restaurant garden. R bistro is a fiver-time James Beard Foundation Award Semi-finalist for 2010 thru 2014. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine and many Indianapolis publications have touted the restaurant as a true gem. Mehallick is an active member of Slow Food USA and Slow Food Indy, and won the Catherine Brandel Fellowship in 2009 from Women Chefs & Restaurateurs. She is often sought after to speak on behalf of Indianapolis cuisine, chatting on NPR during Super Bowl 2010. Regina published her first cookbook in 2008. Please visit soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
R Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
R Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)neighborhood gem (53)special occasion (52)romantic (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (6)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Can't say enough good thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014My favorite restaurant in Indy--reasonable price, fresh, local high quality ingredients, exciting chef creations--a foodies dream. But also accessible to less adventurous diners. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningHappydinerDined on 9/6/2014Excellent appetizers and breads, creative and generous entrees, beautiful desserts, the great flavors kept coming to the table! very nice wine selection and coffee. I appreciate the chef's effort to buy local and our dinners here have always been exciting and delicious. love the staff too!
- Average at bestJudibanaDined on 9/5/2014We ordered all different dishes for a party of 4 as we were celebrating my wife's birthday with our 2 sons. We all ordered different dishes to try what the Cheff had to offer and we exchanged plates to get a good feel for the food. Between the starters, main dishes and deserts totaling 16 different dishes. There were only 3 out of 16 that we really liked. 3 more were ok. The other 10 were tasteless and or below average which really surprised us as we came because of the reviews. Maybe because we often visit premier restaurants around the world we have a different set of expectations. But I can say that we have visited a good restaurant in Indianapolis so It cant be just that. We will give it another try with a different menu in the future.Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Advertised as farm fresh...it certainly was and then some. Wonderful, attentive service, great wine. An overall outstanding experience. We will definitely return for more.Special Features:
- Always Excellentbadger1945Dined on 8/30/2014Consistently outstanding food and service make this one of our favorite Indy restaurants.Special Features:
- Another Wonderful MealAndraDined on 8/30/2014I never tire of introducing friends to this wonderful restaurant. Each visit is a delightful surprise given the ever changing menu. The food is creatively designed and beautifully presented. Delicious!Special Features:
- excellent spotGatordVIPDined on 8/30/2014We're from Chicago and I would recommend that anyone coming to visit Indy make time to eat at this place. it was really exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening.RandianDined on 8/29/2014Once again, the food at R Bistro was outstanding. Service was attentive but not smothering. One of the best food experiences in Indy.Special Features:
- Another great evening at RBistroPlotdoctorVIPDined on 8/28/2014With an ever changing menu based on whats fresh from the locally sourced purveyors, R Bistro continues to amaze us by developing complex levels of flavors for the meals. The great food, attentive and wonderful wait staff, and a nice wine list make each visit to RBistro special. Our dinner consisted of the duck confit on potato rosti with peaches (who would have thought) and each bite was sublime. I followed it up with a braised pork belly on a corn puree with some kale and a green tomato jam. The pork melted in your mouth, just the right amount of sweet offset by the bitter kale. My better half enjoyed the trout special, which was served with a wonderfully savory broth and a few small clams. Always amazed, and never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed a date night at R Bistro on a Saturday evening. Reviews were very positive and we left with the same general feeling. The food was delicious but the menu changes every week based on local product availability, so it is worth keeping in mind: if you go and are not impressed by the menu that night, it may be worth another visit. We had a lovely evening and enjoyed all of our menu selections (2 salads, 2 entrees, 1 dessert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014Despite their excellent reputation - we had a truly dissappointing experience on Friday, August 22nd. I cannot decide which was less inspired - our food of the service? It was definitely the service! My wife and guests felt rushed several times by our Server - who was obviously in a hurry to leave. He responded to questions about the wine list by rolling his eyes - and was basically disdainful when we asked him to explain the Devour Downtown menu. We have been to R Bistro on two other occasions - but I am checking it off the list. There are too many other great choices now in Indianapolis, and I am embarrassed that I was the one to choose the Restaurant last Friday night.
- Fabulous restaurantAnnMikeDined on 8/22/2014Food outstanding, service great! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not a good spot for DevourMandMDined on 8/22/2014Visited this restaurant to take advantage of Devour Downtown although I had taken visiting clients here before. Food was good but service was spotty. Waiter seemed more interested in talking with (other) diners than ensuring efficient service resulting in delivery of a 2nd glass of wine AFTER the main meal was almost complete. Almost 15 minutes after the order (how long does it take to fill 1 glass anyway?). The (I believe) owner was conversing with an evident;y repeat diner behind us and disparaging devour customers who "only" came for the food and didn't drink large qualities of wine. Not a great attitude to entice new, younger clientele and not a place I'm likely to go to again soon. I suggest looking for other dining experiences..Special Features:
- Anniversary treatBburgDinersDined on 8/16/2014When we arrived we were immediately greeted and directed to our table. The waiter was attentive, engaged and very personable. The food was excellent. Fresh, flavorful visually apealing. I like that they use seasonal, local ingredients to create unique and pleasing dishes. We had a great eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best restaurant in indyBBJayzDined on 8/14/2014Well, let me put it out there. I'm NOT joking. As corny as my title seem, this is the best restaurant ever. Its our first time at indy and we basically went to try different place around town. We are foodies and we fell in love with this place. The food was very fresh (farm to table) and well executed. However, the main highlight of this restaurant is the staff. They are super friendly and attentive. Our server (Cliff) was phenomenal. I want to say he is the best server in indy (out of all the other servers i met). To be honest, all the servers were exceptional but he literally blew the standards out the roof. He made our dinner very enjoyable and i felt like i was home. THANKS FOR SUCH AN AMAZING EVENING. We'll be back next year:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attention to food!BoilerKurtVIPDined on 8/7/2014R Bistro always does a nice job on the food. the bread and wine were excellent!Special Features:
- Love Eating LocalSoccerl618VIPDined on 7/22/2014While pricey, I enjoy R Bistro because you know you are getting great quality food expertly prepared. I love to support the local businesses and this restaurant does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Excellent All AroundAndrewFDined on 7/19/2014Food and service were fantastic. This was our first trip, and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeJennie23Dined on 7/18/2014Awesome place. Menu changes every week and is fresh & delicious. Very cozy and great for a date night !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RRB, CABBogieDined on 7/15/2014Great Food Creative Go here! you will enjoy every momentSpecial Features:
- A Welcome SpotconvivialityrulesDined on 7/11/2014R Bistro offers a quiet simply sophisticated restaurant at the calm end of vibrant Mass Ave. Come here to dine on thoughtfully created and carefully prepared food of clean complementary flavors derived from local seasonal ingredients. R Bistro forgoes the fun of a cocktail scene but offers a very good choice of beer and wine designed to complement food. Novelty without forced exoticism characterizes the sweets and pressed coffee is a unique treat at the end of the meal. At R Bistro, couples and groups of friends can come to talk ,eat and drink with dependable ease and pleasure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimedeansdiningDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time to eat here. Decor was inviting. Rather intimate space with not a lot of seating. Would have like to have a cocktail as they offered just beer and wine. The food presentation was outstanding. Our food was tasty. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Not really sure why chefs find it appropriate to NOT allow changes to a dish or not allow the customer to select how they would like it prepared. experienced this both at same table.Special Features:
- Excellent mealdonworVIPDined on 6/28/2014Very delicious starters - pan-seared scallops on radish salad and the unusual goat cheese pots de creme with peas and herbs - excellent. We both had the halibut wrapped in prosciutto - an interesting and tasty combination served on panzanella - a nice combination of flavors, textures and colors. Finished up with delicious truffles, and the so-called rum-drenched vanilla cake with mulberries. The cake was OK - far from "rum-drenched", and very dry. But the mulberries added flavor. Our service was outstanding - friendly, helpful, unobtrusive, and we were never rushed. A very enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- suaveslavDined on 6/26/2014We used gift certificate for dinner at R Bistro as annual summer tradition. Alaskan halibut wrapped in prosciutto and quail stuffed sausage, with barley risotto, were excellent dinner choices. Creamy goat cheese (some French name) and coconut battered chicken tenders, with papaya, were just right amount as appetizers. The vanilla cake with mulberries and Spanish cheese, with apples and biscuits.....zelo dobro/very good! As someone of Slovenian ancestry, we celebrated 23rd anniversary of Republika Slovenija. Somehow we made it home, completely full and satisfied. Minor complaint: I requested bottle of Voss , with lemons and limes on table. Unlike on previous visits, it was not there upon arrival. Quickly corrected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JaniVIPDined on 6/19/2014Always loved Bistro for lunch with special friends. Sad it won't be around for me to have my bacon panini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!pegpaulsonDined on 6/18/2014The farm to table menu was exquisite. We sampled the trout, the pork chop and the duck paired with an outstanding pinot noir and all was excellent. Best restaurant in Indy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/14/2014It is amazing how the suburb intermixing of the flavorful ingredients and subtle spices can be consistently accomplished. R Bistro never fails to provide a culinary treat!!Special Features:
- Don't miss this gem on Mass Ave!LynnVIPDined on 6/11/2014Tucked away at the end of the block, one might miss this restaurant if you weren't looking for it. The Chef's innovative menu, which changes daily, with farm to table cuisine, is definitely worth searching out. The tomato based vegetable soup with garbanzo beans was delicious with the crusty rolls. The Peanut marinated NY strip with Asian slaw was tender with unusual flavors. The Great Lakes white fish with bacon-potato cake & Swiss chard had great flavors. Unfortunately, we skipped dessert to try out the "Best Chocolate in Town" store next door They were closed when we finished our dinner! Next time we will try the desserts at R Bistro!Special Features:
- Outstanding farm fresh foodNanookDined on 6/11/2014Chef Regina puts together wonderful dishes and always impresses me with her new menus which follow the seasonal produce available. The wait staff is attentive and playful making you feel as one of the family or a close friend. This is my favourite restaurant so far as an out of town visitor to IndySpecial Features:
- Great Lunch SpotGracieDined on 6/11/2014Very good lunch food and excellent dessert. First class service. Nice ambiance, low noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in IndyHomeCookerDined on 5/30/2014Was in Indy for a national conference and a colleague found R Bistro by searching for farm to table restaurants. My colleagues and I, all from VERY foodie places (Berkeley and Austin), went for dinner on our last night in town as a celebration and were very impressed. Among us we had the walleye, the pork and the veggie pasta with an appetizer and some wine. We're food snobs so are hard to please, but everyone agreed that their choices were very tasty and the service lovely. The entrees were a bit pricey, but we were happy to support locally-sourced food. (Would also like organic.) I would recommend R Bistro to anyone with a higher food budget wishing to have a quiet dinner filled with delicious food and friendly service.Special Features:
- Good but not best we've had hereRickerDined on 5/30/2014Frog legs excellent Penne pasta/veg ordinary Walleye portion skimpy, especially for price Chicken/ dumplings ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014The atmosphere was casual and inviting and I loved the exposed brick wall and simple décor. This created a New York bistro kind of elegance that was perfectly suited to celebrate our 35th anniversary. My wife and I don't go out to eat often and when we find a restaurant that is privately owned and offers taste sensations with real creativity, well... It goes on our special list.Special Features:
- The following 832 reviews are from the R Bistro reviews archive.
- Always wonderfulJohnSDined on 5/17/2014We have been dining at R Bistro for about 10 years and have always received wonderful service and great local food. In addition, the wine list is excellent, served by knowledgeable staff. As usual, the owner/chef Regina made a brief visit to every table. R Bistro is a wonderful, romantic place to celebrate a special event—as we were this night—but we also dine here because it is quite affordable given the quality of both the food and the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner/food/experiencenotafoodcriticDined on 5/10/2014Loved going to R Bistro. Had heard about how great the food was and was not disappointed. Everyone in my party loved their food and all said they would definitely go back to R Bistro. The price was very reasonable for the quality of the food. Overall, a great time and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great. Again.tomgVIPDined on 5/9/2014I first visited r bistro several years ago, and have been receiving the weekly menu via email ever since. With another opportunity to visit Indy, I jumped at the chance to return to r bistro with my spouse. We were not disappointed...fresh, clean flavors all around, skillful preparation, delightful atmosphere. (We enjoyed swordfish and lamb burger, rhubarb gallette and chocolate mousse, etc.) Looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014This was my first visit to R Bistro for dinner and the food was outstanding! I will return again when I save up enough money to afford all 3 courses and a bottle of wine on my own tab. Definitely a great date spot otherwise! Loved it!!Special Features:
- Simple but fantasticJamesVIPDined on 5/7/2014The meals we had were not complicated but they were prepared perfectly. The waiter was very knowledgeable and the owner/chef Regina came out and sat down with us - which was fantastic. What a lovely person.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014The menu is small but it changes every Wednesday. I liked how they listed what local business they bought their food from on their menus. It was a very nice place to eat, with great food, and a very nice setting. The wine was very good and did not seem to be overly priced. The wait staff seemed to enjoy working there and all of them spent time talking to with their tables. The owner was very polite as we were walking out and talked with us for about 10 minutes outside. It is a very small place so I recommend getting a reservation. We definitely be going back there very soon.Special Features: