888 Massachusetts Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.rbistro.com/
- Phone: (317) 423-0312
- Hours of Operation:
Open Tuesday through Saturday 5 pm to 10 pm
Closed Sunday and Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Erin Kem
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Available Sunday day and Monday evenings for special events, contact the restaurant for more details. Space available for 30-55 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Regina M Mehallick 3174230312x
A word from R Bistro
Executive Chef/Owner Regina Mehallick opened R bistro in 2001, blazing a trail for local, seasonal cooking in Indianapolis. Anchoring the east side of dynamic Mass Ave arts district, R bistro features a menu of brightly flavored, approachable dishes that changes weekly to emphasize Mehallick’s dedication to serving what is ripe in Indiana, including produce from her own restaurant garden. R bistro is a fiver-time James Beard Foundation Award Semi-finalist for 2010 thru 2014. The New York Times, The Washington Post, Southwest Airlines Spirit Magazine and many Indianapolis publications have touted the restaurant as a true gem. Mehallick is an active member of Slow Food USA and Slow Food Indy, and won the Catherine Brandel Fellowship in 2009 from Women Chefs & Restaurateurs. She is often sought after to speak on behalf of Indianapolis cuisine, chatting on NPR during Super Bowl 2010. Regina published her first cookbook in 2008. Please visit soon.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
R Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown Indy ›
R Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
99 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (55)notable wine list (36)romantic (35)good for groups (12)hot spot (7)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- shannahDined on 11/22/2014The food wasn't very good. The cobia didn't have much flavor and the truffels were a disappointment.
- awwesome placefinerthingsVIPDined on 11/21/2014We loved it came all the way from Florida delicious..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Superb, locally sourced food. We were delighted that the wine list included many inexpensive, interesting options.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal at R-BistroNoNameVIPDined on 10/30/2014Chef Erin hit the mark with the menu this week. Loved the rpasted parsnip and pear salad, as well as the unusual lamb and sweet potato stuffed cabbage roll. The Sharecropper Cab from Washington State was excellent as well. My vegetarian husband loved the Thai inspired soup as well as his chickpea with couscous entrée. The gnocci which we shared were melting in your mouth- fantastic! Can't wait to go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Walk on the wild sideLuck1906Dined on 10/25/2014My wife and I were in town for her birthday and R Bistro was highly recommended. The menu is always different according to our waiter as everything is made dress with local ingredients. My had the bison and I had the rabbit. Both were excellent choices. However the Brown Betty desert was not very good. We would definitely come back but finish our meal with a different desert choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local DeliciousChadeusDined on 10/25/2014The food at this restaurant is delicious. Almost all (or maybe all) of it is locally sourced and the menu goes so far as to say where the food is coming from. The menu changes weekly so when you go back, there is a high probability that you will not see the same food. You can frequently see the owner stepping out of the kitchen and interacting with guests and on a previous visit, I was able to have her visit with our table to thank her for the dining experience and to sign her cookbook which is available for purchase there. The food is very high end and it is obvious the owner takes great pride in her work. This is one of my favorite spots when I have guests I want to entertain that enjoy high-end dining.Special Features:
- Always somethingPlatinumjstrainDined on 10/24/2014Because R Bistro's menu changes weekly and follows the pattern of 5 starters, 5 entrees and 5 deserts, there is always something on the menu that jumps out. This week, it was locally sourced branzino - whole, grilled to perfection with tasty fall accompaniments. R Bistro is often our choice before going to a cultural event downtown (which was the case Friday night) because we know we will have first-rate food, first-rate service and get out in time to make it to a performance. Add in locally sourced branzino, one of my favorite fishes, and one cannot go wrong.Special Features:
- 25th wedding anniversaryTrollKingDined on 10/22/2014This was our first visit to R Bistro. The food and service were both excellent. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- local and deliciousEatOutAlotDined on 10/18/2014This is a terrific place for a delicious and carefully prepared meal. Staff were great, and took allergy issues seriously. Very interesting food, well-prepared and flavourful. We all enjoyed every dish, and the relaxed and welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always wonderful foodReneeDined on 10/18/2014I used to live in the neighborhood so I'm very familiar with R Bistro. This time I introduced a northsider to RBistro who also loved the food and shares my passion for local chefs, local farmers/ranchers. That mushroom appetizer was extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time and will revisit...cjfeDined on 10/18/2014I have been looking to traverse all of the Mass Ave dinning spots and R Bistro came high on the list. I have had a number of difficulties finding a time where they were not booked. My anniversary was coming up and I scheduled out a couple of days to ensure I got in. As I hoped it was amazing. The restaurant is quaint and modern without being too flashy. The service was very appropriate without being overly or under attentive. The menu changes on a weekly basis to accommodate the local and fresh produce of the local vendors. Wine list is very appropriate for the leaning high-end style restaurant. The only concern that I had before visiting was about the dress code where I thought it to be more formal but it is rather business casual.Special Features:
- fabilous!Tamerrah1Dined on 10/17/2014I made a reservation after receiving this weeks email. The ingredients sounded intriguing. We were not disappointed! Everything was perfectly seasoned and prepared. Wonderful waiter! His suggestions were spot on! Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningJutziVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had not been to R Bistro for a very long time, but had good memories of the last visit. The food was very good and different than any other you will find anywhere. Our only real complaint was that we very rushed and were not offered the daily specials. From the moment we sat, we were pushed to get our order in. After we saw a beautiful mushroom dish served several times around us, we asked and were told about this dish that all three of us would enjoyed had we known about it. I have no idea if there were other specials, because our server was in a much bigger hurry than we or the other servers were.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take a chance and you fill find...PhilDined on 10/17/2014A gem! We go to Indianapolis twice a year for a convention, stay downtown and by habit eat at one of the local chains. This time, I decided to change it up and do something different--find a great restaurant, non-chain, near downtown, that we would enjoy. R Bistro fit that goal in every way. It's in a cool area surrounded by a wine bar, chocolate shop, and other boutique stores. The restaurant is small, comfortable, with a nice quiet ambience. We sat next to a couple who loves the place, whose husband was on his third visit that week, and they kept us engaged in what they loved about the place. We had a great server(Dorie), a wonderful selection in wine and entrees, and an experience so good we will come back!Special Features:
- Wonderful AgainPlatinumjstrainDined on 10/17/2014We made pre-symphony reservations at R Bistro knowing that we could get an excellent meal and still be out in time to make symphony. Because the menu changes weekly, I chose the comfort food offering (a linguine con vongole with chorizo) that was absolutely delicious. We also shared a wild mushroom medley that was delicious. Finally, we capped our meal sharing the persimmon pudding dessert, one of my favorites done to perfection. In and out with perfect service from Dori, one of our favorites on staff there. As always, it was warm, friendly and very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner Made SpecialPamieDined on 10/15/2014The food, the service and the ambiance made a lovely evening for me as I celebrated my birthday with 5 lovely friends. These friends always seems to find something wrong with a restaurant where ever they go, they found no fault and were full of praise for R Bistro. From the locally sourced menu to the herb garden outside, this is a treasure in Indianapolis. It's a marvelous gem that owner/chef Regina Mehallick has created.Special Features:
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014We were seated by the door and it was drafty. The menu was very limited and average. Service was ok. I requested a quiet table, and the only large table in the back of the restaurant was already taken. A disappointment, as it came highly recommended.
- Excellent Food / Rude WaiterJoefromGeistDined on 10/4/2014My wife and I had not visited R Bistro for a long time, and we decided go back this past Saturday. evening, Oct 4th. The food was excellent. My wife loved the duck and the bouillabaisse was excellent. What we did not like was our waiter (Nathen or Eathen). He was rude and condescending. When my wife asked about the menu, his answers seemed intended to make her appear stupid. As we were leaving, I wanted to say something to Regina, but she was busy talking with another customer. There are too many other choices here in Indianapolis. I doubt that we will go back to R Bistro.
- NanookVIPDined on 10/1/2014Never disappointed by the fresh farm sourced menu and quality of the food.Special Features:
- Fresh local food, great preparationHooteagleVIPDined on 9/27/2014A wonderful dining experience! This is our favorite place on Mass Ave--another place down the street a ways may get more buzz and bigger crowds, but R Bistro is just better. Both have good food, but RB is more inventive and delivers better flavor. Other place gets a little predictable, imo. A wondrous experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014r bistro has amazing offerings. The rotating menus with the local fair makes it not only a novel experience every time but also a perennial destination for those who want a sophisticated offering. She is a James Beard semifinals at and it shows.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to Table Done RightOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Googling "best restaraunts in Indy" for a conference, always brought me to R Bistro, so we made reservations for 3. Our table was ready promptly, and the service was impeccable. We had waters shortly after sitting down, and our drink order was taken promptly. Our food came out when it was ready, rather than sitting under lights which I think is an excellent practice. Our waiter was knowledgeable (and enthusiastic!) about all the food, and each of us were thrilled with our meal. We loved the miminalistic menu, the fresh ingredients, and thoughtful combinations. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- A must in IndybktateDined on 9/20/2014I read about R Bistro when I started researching restaurants in Indianapolis. I was in town for a conference and made my reservation a few weeks prior to my arrival. The food was amazing-fresh ingredients, great flavor and the portions were more than sufficient. The service was also great. We were surprised when the chef, Regina, stopped my our table to see how we were enjoying the meal. I have to return to Indy in a couple of months and will definitely make a return trip.Special Features:
- SvenSvenDined on 9/19/2014I felt like a victim of culinary fraud. We were excited about going to the restaurant. But the experience left us disappointed and hungry, literally. My wife's veal was so bad she gave up on it after two bites and she had to stop and eat again on the way home. My ratatouille was tasteless. Both meals were expensive. The waiter was a gasbag, absolutely full of himself and indifferent to whether we liked the food or not. This was once a fine restaurant; it is no longer so.
- Great find in Downtown Indi!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Love the farm-to-table concepts and this restaurant does it well! Food was fabulous and service was excellent. Definitely a high recommend from a fellow foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful quiet dinnerjks125Dined on 9/18/2014We met family for dinner and had a memorable evening--Texas red drum fish was succulent and perfectly prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small space, super qualityDavidDined on 9/17/2014I took an out of town guest to R Bistro and he was totally blown away! The "R" is an Indianapolis culinary gem that being on the East end of Mass Ave. gives it a certain panache that truly makes it unique. The quality of fare is outstanding and always different but not so exotic that it's a turn off. The "R" is on our regular list to impress guests and business friends.Special Features:
- Can't say enough good thingsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014My favorite restaurant in Indy--reasonable price, fresh, local high quality ingredients, exciting chef creations--a foodies dream. But also accessible to less adventurous diners. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but missing attentioneatzDined on 9/13/2014I took my wife to R Bistro for her 36th birthday. In the online reservation details, I mentioned we picked their restaurant to celebrate a birthday. I did this last year with another restaurant, and 3 people on the staff wished my wife a happy birthday. R Bistro said nothing. Didn't ask if we were celebrating a special occasion, and completely missed the notes on the reservation. This was disappointing. Also, the last 10 minutes we were at our table, both of our water glasses remained empty. Up until that point, everything had been quite nice, and then we felt forgotten. The food was outstanding, and the service good, but some attention to detail was missing. Will not go back for a special occasion, but I do recommend for the food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningHappydinerDined on 9/6/2014Excellent appetizers and breads, creative and generous entrees, beautiful desserts, the great flavors kept coming to the table! very nice wine selection and coffee. I appreciate the chef's effort to buy local and our dinners here have always been exciting and delicious. love the staff too!
- Average at bestJudibanaDined on 9/5/2014We ordered all different dishes for a party of 4 as we were celebrating my wife's birthday with our 2 sons. We all ordered different dishes to try what the Cheff had to offer and we exchanged plates to get a good feel for the food. Between the starters, main dishes and deserts totaling 16 different dishes. There were only 3 out of 16 that we really liked. 3 more were ok. The other 10 were tasteless and or below average which really surprised us as we came because of the reviews. Maybe because we often visit premier restaurants around the world we have a different set of expectations. But I can say that we have visited a good restaurant in Indianapolis so It cant be just that. We will give it another try with a different menu in the future.Special Features:
- Delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Advertised as farm fresh...it certainly was and then some. Wonderful, attentive service, great wine. An overall outstanding experience. We will definitely return for more.Special Features:
- Always Excellentbadger1945Dined on 8/30/2014Consistently outstanding food and service make this one of our favorite Indy restaurants.Special Features:
- Another Wonderful MealAndraDined on 8/30/2014I never tire of introducing friends to this wonderful restaurant. Each visit is a delightful surprise given the ever changing menu. The food is creatively designed and beautifully presented. Delicious!Special Features:
- excellent spotGatordVIPDined on 8/30/2014We're from Chicago and I would recommend that anyone coming to visit Indy make time to eat at this place. it was really exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful evening.RandianDined on 8/29/2014Once again, the food at R Bistro was outstanding. Service was attentive but not smothering. One of the best food experiences in Indy.Special Features:
- Another great evening at RBistroPlotdoctorVIPDined on 8/28/2014With an ever changing menu based on whats fresh from the locally sourced purveyors, R Bistro continues to amaze us by developing complex levels of flavors for the meals. The great food, attentive and wonderful wait staff, and a nice wine list make each visit to RBistro special. Our dinner consisted of the duck confit on potato rosti with peaches (who would have thought) and each bite was sublime. I followed it up with a braised pork belly on a corn puree with some kale and a green tomato jam. The pork melted in your mouth, just the right amount of sweet offset by the bitter kale. My better half enjoyed the trout special, which was served with a wonderfully savory broth and a few small clams. Always amazed, and never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I enjoyed a date night at R Bistro on a Saturday evening. Reviews were very positive and we left with the same general feeling. The food was delicious but the menu changes every week based on local product availability, so it is worth keeping in mind: if you go and are not impressed by the menu that night, it may be worth another visit. We had a lovely evening and enjoyed all of our menu selections (2 salads, 2 entrees, 1 dessert).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another poor experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/22/2014Despite their excellent reputation - we had a truly dissappointing experience on Friday, August 22nd. I cannot decide which was less inspired - our food of the service? It was definitely the service! My wife and guests felt rushed several times by our Server - who was obviously in a hurry to leave. He responded to questions about the wine list by rolling his eyes - and was basically disdainful when we asked him to explain the Devour Downtown menu. We have been to R Bistro on two other occasions - but I am checking it off the list. There are too many other great choices now in Indianapolis, and I am embarrassed that I was the one to choose the Restaurant last Friday night.
- Fabulous restaurantAnnMikeDined on 8/22/2014Food outstanding, service great! I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.