R & D Wine Boutique
1011 Fording Island Rd
Bluffton, SC 29910Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
R & D Wine Boutique
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rdwine.net/
- Phone: 8438373747
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:45pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Open for Wine and Beer after 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Wine Room's rustic décor creates a refined atmosphere. Celebrate your gatherings in The Wine Room. This private room accommodates up to 8 guests.
A word from R & D Wine Boutique
With its wall of wines and cozy nooks, R&D Wine Boutique is the ideal retreat for indulging in savory small plates, flatbreads, modern specialties that are perfect for sharing and pairing with wine. In addition R&D Wine features a selection of crafted beers and over 150 selections of wines, making this the ultimate spot for lunch or dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
R & D Wine Boutique reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (18)neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (8)good for groups (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Fabulous Experience!PsychDocVIPDined on 9/25/2014The resturant is truly a gem for the greater Hilton Head area. The wines were exceptional and the ability to try so many wines in 3 different pour sizes was amazing. I've never experienced a wine tasting quite like this before. In addition, the food was second to none but the best part of the experience was getting to know the owner, Dawn. She single handledly made the evening the best evening of our 5 day vacation. Her knowledge of the wines and her hospitality was truly exceptional. R and D will definately be on our list every time I vacation in Hilton Head! Thanks again, your new friends Jane and BillySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Great concept and a fun, different way to experience new wines. And thSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and Great Fun!DougVIPDined on 9/6/2014The chance to sample all the wines together with the small plates is a great combination and great fun! AND, the food and wine are excellent!!Special Features:
- A gem in BlufftonOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/13/2014Have been here twice and love this spot! It is such a relaxed yet lovely atmosphere. Great wine selections and perfect menu with which to pair wines. The owner, Dawn, is so engaging and it is obvious she cares about your dining experience. Definitely at the top of my list of where to dine in Bluffton/Hilton Head.Special Features:
- A different kind of Wine BarBlufftonFoodieDined on 8/1/2014Cool way of delivering the wine...great selection and can taste many to find your favorite ones.. yummy snack sized sharing food dishes.. perfect for a evening out with someone special or a close friend...Special Features:
- A place I frequent...AmberBDined on 7/31/2014I go back and back again! Each time I enjoy every drop and bite.Special Features:
- Great Wine!SpenceDined on 7/9/2014We had an amazing time at R&D and we will definitely be back on our next trip to the Hilton Head area. The wine was fantastic and we had great service. The food was really good, but the portion sizes were small. The owner was fun and very personable, she made the experience seem more like a fun night at a friends private party! Couldn't be more pleased with this choice, thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coming backseenitallVIPDined on 7/8/2014We started stopping for dinner on way from Savannah airport to our home in Hilton Head Island. I think that pattern will continue. Food is very good across menu and service pleasant / attentive. Wine selections competent but reasonable in price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backaccuElliotDined on 6/17/2014Once we found it, we found a gem. The "wine machine" is a winner, and the food we ordered was well prepared and very good. The service was attentive. The owners care about what they are doing.Special Features:
- The following 80 reviews are from the R & D Wine Boutique reviews archive.
- Wine Lovers and RelaxingKAONDined on 5/17/2014Real gem in an unexpected location. Quiet, great ambiance, fantastic wine selections and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best lowcountry wine bistrowineloversDined on 5/7/2014Enjoyed the entire experience of this lovely, small wine bistro. The food was delicious, the wines were good and it was fun to be able to sip many different types of wine. The attention to detail and ambiance makes this on our list of places to go back to tine and time again.Special Features:
- Adequate - but GREAT windBDMAtlantaLandAreaVIPDined on 5/6/2014Really enjoyed the wine a lot. The Cheese and meat and bread plate were very good. The food was pretty good - not great - they would do well to make the pasta in house rather than not. Lighting was bad - very bright coming from the street in a dark room is not a good mix. Overall I would recommend.Special Features:
- R & D gemSKJ68Dined on 5/1/2014We used back room. Ideal for group! Cozy, private, unique, but Acoustically it could use some help. Food was excellent and perfectly portioned. Good variety in selection. Great location and parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect food and wine venueWinoDined on 4/25/2014The food is always excellent - and the wine selection is fantastic. And...you can sample most of them.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden, but worth findingBuffyDined on 4/25/2014This small wine cafe is a little difficult to find the first time you visit. But... one visit and you will definitely want to return. The menu is not extremely large, but the available wines make up for that. R&D is a perfect spot for a Ladies Luncheon!Special Features:
- Best AroundRVAWmVIPDined on 4/23/2014We always include a stop at R&D every trip to Hilton Head/Bluffton. Dawn is enthusiastic about her selections and food offerings with welcoming charm and exuberance. The machine sampling bins are always stocked with a wide selection of wines for every taste and pocketbook. In addition R&D has the widest and best selection of bottles anywhere in the area. A real plus to an expanding retail area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!DannyDined on 4/15/2014My husband and I came here on a date and loved it. The owner was so gracious and helpful. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!DebbieDined on 4/4/2014Can't wait to go back! The Owner / Hostess makes you feel so welcome, like you are dining in her own home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had wonderful wines, serviceEmilDined on 4/1/2014We had wonderful wines, service was outstanding and our sandwiches were out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful night out with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014It's hard to find a restaurant where you can enjoy great food, wonderful wine, and have a quiet atmosphere that allows conversation. R&D is that rare place. Thank you for a wonderful evening Dawn!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular SurpriseNoelDined on 3/28/2014I never realized such a fantastic wine bar was in this little strip mall near PetCo and BestBuy. They have a larger private room in the back with comfy upholstered dining chairs, large table which sits 8 very easily and the walls were lined with the most spectacular array of wines. Donna, the owner is the heartbeat of this place. She lights up when you ask her opinion regarding any of her wines. She describes, in detail, the vineyard, grapes, etc with the kind of enthusiasm that let's you know this is not a hobby, this is her passion. The food was tasty. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful find! Enjoyed theOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/22/2014Wonderful find! Enjoyed the food and especially the wine options!Special Features:
- Eat a little, sip a littleHallamityDined on 3/8/2014Great place for light evening dining and sipping a nice selection of wines. My wife says it's great for a group lunch in the back room. Not a place to gorge yourself, but you leave sufficiently suffonsified.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday cocktailsDinner46Dined on 3/7/2014The service is outstanding. The food is well proportioned and prepared perfectly. I love the friendly atmosphere. It is so much fun to try so many new wines . You can taste 5 different wines and that is only one glass. Then I decide which wine I liked the most and have a full glass with my meal. And I find the price reasonable for the value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine bistro for the wine loverGrangerDined on 3/7/2014A great place to taste some wines and eat either a few bites or a full meal. The staff are great. They were friendly, we had their attention whenever it was needed, and they really knew their wines. They have maybe 40 wines to choose from in the dispensers and nice tastefully prepared foods to accompany whatever you choose. The wines range from quality bargain wines to some serious high end wines. So be careful what you choose as your wine bill can go up quickly. You can also buy one of many other wines in the shop and pay corkage. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Special in its own rightFoodieforlifeDined on 2/27/2014R & D Wine Boutique is everything the wine lover could wish for. Not only do they have wall-to-wall (literally) of outstanding wine selections, their tapas/small plate dinner selections are absolutely delicious. Don't miss the cheese selections either as you begin your tastings. Balsamic vinaigrette jelly and crackers is also unique and scrumptious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WowGerryDined on 2/21/2014Fun experience, our server was a delight, food is always outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTIC!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2014WHAT A GREAT RESTAURANT WITH THE OWNER/MGR PASSIONATE ABOUT TAKING EXTREME CARE TO MAKE SURE HER GUESTS ARE WELCOMED, SERVED WITH PROMPTNESS AND DELICIOUS FOOD! THE SELECTION OF WINES AVAILABLE FOR CONSUMPTION AND/OR PURCHASE IS GREAT!Special Features:
- One of the best I've been to!KeikoDined on 2/4/2014This charming restaurant is located in a strip mall, and may be easily overlooked, but don't. There are only eight tables, so I encourage you to book ahead. The wines are outstanding -many unusual and hard to find, yet all price points. There is a wine dispensing machine where you may sample up to 20 different wines, should you choose to do so. The food is wonderful: the spinach artichoke dip is delicate and light, not overly salty. We had the eggplant parmesan and the chicken marsala, followed by Creme Brûlée, all perfect. Portions were just right. The chef came out to check with us to insure everything was to our liking. The service was outstanding. I could not ask for anything more and will return every time I am anywhere near!Special Features:
- Cute spot in Strip Mall.PatinaVIPDined on 1/10/2014A Fun and Funky little spot in Bluffton Strip Mall. A Wine sipper's dream !! So, many choices. It was so much fun to load you card with $20.00 or more and fill your glass with all the great wine selections. Tapas and small plate menu is pretty varied which was nice. We did small plates, food was terrific. In the past we chose the specialty cheese platter was equally delicious. The owner is fun and engaging which gives the place a relaxed vibe making it impossible to meet people while enjoying the food and wine. My, only complaint is the noise level and tables could be a bit more intimate. But, we still enjoyed ourselves!!Special Features:
- Special occasions!DougVIPDined on 1/3/2014Twice we have found our way to R & D for a special evening and were not disappointed! Great food, great wine!Special Features:
- great food and drink, friendlysmuffDined on 12/21/2013Finding a great glass of wine is fun and a great way to try many before deciding on one or two glasses to go with your appetizer and dinner. Deserts are great too. The owners are so personable and they make you feel very special almost like being at their home. The cheese appetizer plate is great no matter which cheeses you choose and the nuts , crackers and fruit that come with it are a pleasant surprise. We've been there many times and never been disappointment. Dinner specials are always good and the go to flatbreads are excellent-especially like the duck , the olive one and the mushroom one.Special Features:
- Always a Go ToRVAWmVIPDined on 11/26/2013When on Hilton Head (or off), the first destination is R&D. In addition to the ever changing selections in the wine taste machines there always is the friendly staff and great food selections to greet another visitor. Many wine labels not found elsewhere and the chance to taste or order a full glass of labels you probably wouldn't purchase in full bottle or taste before purchase. R&D is always a winner.Special Features:
- Novelty wine shop, poor valuejosephDined on 11/23/2013This "restaurant" is in actuality a novelty wine shop. The novelty are the wine kiosks where you can taste a variety of wines at small portions with the hope of you finding one that you will purchase. Now for the restaurant.... The food we had was a "filet special" and a cheese platter. The filet tasted like a hamburger with low quality meat or preparation. The cheese platter ($16) was small with cheese and meat worth less than half of what they charged. Our appetizers salad lacked creativity. On top of that the wine was overpriced. Overall the restaurant is a poor value. It is better described as a novelty wine shop (kiosks) that is not worth it for dinner but may be to try something different "pre dinner".
- This is mostly a wine barOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/7/2013This is mostly a wine bar for tasting using enomatic machines. The food was good and enough to accompany a tasting. Disappointed in the selection of white wines this time but will try again next year. Owner is very friendly and knows a lot about wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than a Wine ShopRVAWmVIPDined on 11/6/2013R&D has become our 'go to' spot when in Hilton Head/Bluffton. The machines are always filled with interesting selections and at a broad range of prices. Nice to be able to taste new wines and old favorites even if whole bottle purchases aren't within the budget. This trip was for midweek lunch. Tapas type selections made decisions tough. All were outstanding. Back at Thanksgiving week for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great place to go forClub1136Dined on 10/29/2013What a great place to go for good food and great wine. When we visit Hilton Head we make it a point to go to R&D. Dawn and Cynthia treat us like family. We'll be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wowwine4usVIPDined on 9/27/2013Six of us had dinner at R&D recently. We were wowed by the friendliness and wonderful food. However the wine selection was amazing. We loved the fact that you could taste an ounce, 3 ounces or fill a 6 ounce glass with a very wide selection of both red and white wines. Using a prepaid card entitles you to taste all price levels of wine. We opted for the cheese platter and individual small plates. We were not disappointed-the food is fresh and well prepared. We are all definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect date spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2013What a fabulous cozy spot...definitely not a tourist trap. We will go back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected.DougVIPDined on 9/7/2013Tucked into a corner of a strip mall without much exposure to passing traffic, R & D Wine Boutique must be doing something right to attract the crowd that filled the room on our first visit. And they are!! The small plate portions were just right for sharing and the food was outstanding! For lovers of the grape, this is a must. I had never experienced the wine dispenser system in place at R & D, but if you want to enjoy a variety of wines, conduct your own tasting, or just be fickle, it is the way to go!! All very fun with great food and knowledgeable and attentive staff! A+!!Special Features: