470 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.quincerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4157758500x5
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30 pm - 10:00 pm and Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
The bar and lounge are open Monday - Thursday at 5:30 pm and Friday - Saturday: 5:00 pm
Reservations can be made in advance two months to the calendar date.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Tusk
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Quince Restaurant offers offsite catering for parties of 10-100! Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
A word from Quince Restaurant
Situated in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk's celebrated Quince Restaurant features Italian and French inspired tasting menus that highlight the seasonal bounty of Northern California. Accompanying each menu is an innovative wine pairing program. A sophisticated cocktail program features innovative, seasonal ingredients and unique, table side preparations. Chef Michael Tusk was named “Best Chef: Pacific” by the James Beard Foundation in 2011. Quince was awarded its second Michelin star in 2013 and in April 2012, the San Francisco Chronicle bestowed a fourth star to Quince.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Quince Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Financial District / Embarcadero ›
Quince Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (75)fit for foodies (68)romantic (57)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (8)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014Great combination of flavors. Beyond extraordinary. Highly recommended for special occasions.Special Features:
- Best dining experience ever!ToughCriticVIPDined on 10/18/2014From the beautifully presented, mouth watering food, to the som's perfectly paired wines, and the elegant dance of servers, Quince is the best restaurant I've ever dined at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiencerockplazaDined on 10/17/2014only a selection between 2 degustation menu', but outstanding quality and general service.Special Features:
- Just Wonderful!Kin81Dined on 10/17/2014Truly amazing dinner! I had the Garden menu and my husband had the Quince menu. Both were incredible, but the Garden menu definitely had more robust and interesting flavors. The wine options were excellent, and sure to please any palate. Service was top notch. We also added the caviar supplement, which I highly recommend, and the white truffles are a nice addition as well. Definitely pricy (at $800 for two with wine and supplements) but it was a great experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014Exceeded expectations in every way. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014This is a fine dining French cuisine restaurant, great food and great service as well as a great wine list. Perfect to go to once in awhile and I say that because of the price. Be ready to spend around 500$ for two. This restaurant does have a rich and cheerful atmosphere. The chef is kind enough to come out and greet each guest as he serves one of the last dishes to you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost the magicDcdinerDined on 10/11/2014Sad to say the magic from the old location has yet to be matched. The effort is there but they miss the mark. Taking things wAy too serious in my opinion. Where's the delicious pastas?? I would rather have three courses two always being a bowl of the best pastas over little precious treasures of silliness. Great for pretense bankers lunches and expense accounts I guess.. So over it. That environment and style is no fun.. The food was not memorable. Nothing like The magic at the original location years ago with the room and the food.. Sorry if you missed that experience, if you were around then you know what I am saying.Special Features:
- Better than The French Laundry!GailyDined on 10/8/2014We have dined here twice on special occasions and cannot recommend it any higher. It is top-notch and elegant with incredible food and service. While expensive for most (be careful if you order the delicious white truffle risotto without asking the price first:$100 per serving), IT IS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 3 All-Time Listchuckmac07VIPDined on 10/6/2014our 2nd visit & just as good as the 1st time. truly exceptional all around. as good a dining experience as exists on Planet Earth. we wish we lived in San Fran just so we could eat here more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly deserving two Michelin starsHKKPDined on 9/30/2014Culinary heaven!! The service was impeccable as was the food! The attention to detail and knowledge from our server regarding the food and wine pairings was an added bonus and made the experience that much more memorable. Also we absolutely adored the stemware and dishes. Thank you for such a pleasurable dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quince is our special placeMattVVIPDined on 9/29/2014We went to Quince for our anniversary and had an amazing time there. In the dining room and chose the Quince menu (personalized with our names and congratulations) with wine pairings and Ostera Caviar. Before any of the menu items came out, we received little tastings from the Chef which were so outstanding and left us wanting more. Then as each course came out, the wine preceded it with an explanation of the pairing choice. Each plate perfectly paired with the next with little chef surprises along the way. Quince will cost you but it is an amazing place for a special occasion!Special Features:
- 6*ppelousDined on 9/26/2014I can't believe these guys don't get a solid five stars. I would give them six if I could. We came here for my birthday and they prepared a special gluten free tasting menu for us, which was exquisite. The service was impeccable too. The tables are well spaced so you have plenty of privacy and the sound level is very low. Perfect for a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014The best food in my life with impeccable service. Quince is as good as it gets.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/23/2014Quince has moved more and more to the tasting menu approach to dining. This is their third iteration going back to Q1.0 at Octavia and Pine streets in SF where it was a more traditional order off the menu approach. Q3.0 strives to compete with The French Laundry et al. They had a choice of two menus, one vegetarian (or close to it) and one much broader. We chose the broader menu and were not disappointed. Each course had a preview then the course itself. All were executed and presented flawlessly. One minor question was that many of the tastes were to subtle. I prefer more intense flavors.Special Features:
- Good and expensiveJeanVIPDined on 7/24/2014Excellent food here, but several things I don't like such as tables to close one to each other (not everywhere), a fast, little bit non personal service… The view toward the brick wall with cellar inside is very nice, the opposite view is poor… All in all excellent experience and fabulous food I admit.Special Features:
- Pricey but Great Food!foodie2junkieDined on 7/23/2014My wife and I love to try new place to eat and since we are one a budget, we try to spoil ourselves once every month with places like these. Great food and great service!! House cocktails are good to have if not a wine drinker. But if you love to drink wine, I suggest to bring your own nice bottle or wine, since the good wines are really over priced!Special Features:
- Fantastic Time!SFlovefoodMIDined on 7/23/2014I will go back again! Superb! Great hospitality and fantastic food! I had 5 course with wine paring. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- A night to rememberSpecialKVIPDined on 7/23/2014Our evening at Quince was - hands sown - one of the best restaurant experiences I have ever had. The food was exceptional - bold re-makes of classics mixed with with more traditional preparations - but the food was just a part of the reason it was so good. It was the people and ambiance that sealed the deal. Our server, Alexandra, was extremely professional and personal too, remembering me from a prior visit. The Asst Wine Director (Sian) was also awesome, knowledgeable and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorablejpnycDined on 7/21/2014This is not an everyday restaurant, dining at Quince is more of a food centered event. They were late getting my table ready and went out of their way to make up for it that I felt the experience was actually improved by the small inconvenience. Every piece of food I tasted was outstanding, featuring beautiful ingredients, artfully balanced and never boring. The wine pairings were also spot on, adding something to each dish. The service was impeccable, and the staff impressively knowledgeable about all aspects of the meal. If you can afford to treat yourself to something special, this would be a memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wines to die for!ilikewineDined on 7/19/2014Quince has a highly sophisticated selection of wine from Northern California, France and Italy and that's only the beginning. The sommelier makes the difference and the young woman who guided me through my experience was extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticclevefoodhoundVIPDined on 7/18/2014I went for the tasting menu and was absolutely blow away. Everything was delicious and the wine pairings were done "blinded" so we had to focus on the pairing itself and not be biased about the wine as a specific varietal. I can see some people being turned off by this, but it was great to try and guess what the wines were and relish in the pairings. The atmosphere was incredibly romantic and the staff were superb.Special Features:
- hungrydvrDined on 7/16/2014Quince is an elegant setting for superbly prepared and served food.Special Features:
- ExcellentKarenDined on 7/15/2014We had the summer tasting menu with wine and it was all excellent! Still thinking about many of the dishes. Good service. Very friendly and knowledgeable. Noise level wasn't bad at all. Lots of sound absorbing stuff in the dinning room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deserves the two MichelinJaiDDined on 7/12/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here. It ranked as high as the three Michelin star restaurants in Napa.Special Features:
- Still 2 Michelin starsRobinDined on 7/12/2014But I have to lower them from 5 to 4 1/2. Friendly, efficient, take care of the customer service without the attitude. I had to take away a half star because the meals in the past set such a high standard and their current menu did not reach that height. There were some successful dishes mixed in with just OK dishes. The Big Eye Tuna was ordinary while the Abalone was the dish of the night for us. The Suckling Pig Tortellini again was OK while the Tagliolini was nuanced with many levels of flavors. What really made the dinner was the staff. Our wives had an issue with one of the entrees and the chef whipped up a completely new item not on the menu and they poured a wonderful wine, not on the list, to pair with the dish. Kudos.Special Features:
- Amazing food, amazing price tag...UpwelldinewellDined on 7/11/2014Every dish was great, the meal was great, the staff was incredibly knowledgeable... However, be prepared to spend at least $600 for two people. As amazing as that meal was it's hard to justify spending that much money on one meal for two people...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014We had an amazing time with great good and great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/11/2014We had a wonderful meal at Quince. We really enjoyed the food and the hidden wine tasting, where we had to try and guess what the pour was. We would go back there the next time we visit San Francisco.Special Features:
- Amazing experienceRonchieDined on 7/9/2014Surprising tastes, beautiful serving, professional service. One of the best culinary experiences we've ever had. We celebrated my husband's 40th birthday there and it was the perfect place for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb in all ways...almost...JDofDCVIPDined on 7/8/2014Quince sets the standard in San Francisco. The kitchen is creative and each course is prepared perfectly and delivered with just enough time to savor it before the next one. The service is sublime and attention to detail so good it almost goes unnoticed. Only lapse was the wine list and sommelier. We put ourselves in his hands and while making a great initial recommendation he was unable, it seemed, to build on the experience. Wine list was lacking in great white burgundies, but in all fairness they were quick to repair the issue and we later learned that they are preparing for a renovation this summer, which may explain the issue. Bottom line, if you are a serious foodie and like Daniel Bolud's NY restaurants, you will love Quince.Special Features:
- Very good but short of greatFooderVIPDined on 7/5/2014Undoubtedly a very good restaurant. Excellent service, nice ambiance, very good wine list. The food, although very good, is not magical. Fairly traditional dishes: some more and other less inspired. The experience was positive, especially the selection of wines paired with the tasting menu, but no one at the table was really wowed.Special Features:
- Simply amazing!ChefonTheRunVIPDined on 7/4/2014I was blown away by the service at Quince. The food was also amazing, but amazing service just elevates already great food! My friend and I had the tasting menu, paired with wine. Fabulous! At the end of our night, we were given a tour of the kitchen. Since we both work in the food industry, that was icing on the cake! Thank you Quince for such an amazing experience!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/4/2014Could have been an off day or busy 4th weekend. Food was tasty but all in all not a memorable experience. May consider going back just for squab and lamb. Considering this place is not cheap, unsure if willing to take a chance and be disappointed. It took such a long time to get our first round of drinks. We had planned on going back to Fisherman's Wharf to our hotel to watch the fireworks. It took so long that we had to rush through dessert. We were unable to even enjoy a cup of coffee considering that's what we needed. The intervals b/n courses was a bit too long that others were getting bored and sleepy. We were famished by the time the bread was in line to be served. We must say that the wine recommendation was good.
- still my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014This is the first time at Quince since they moved from a charming house to a more comerical location. I liked the house better for ambiance, and for the home-like feel, but the food is as creative and satisfying as ever! I recently went to another Michelin starred mega hyped restaurant in NYC, and the contrast could not be more stark. Showmanship versus "real" food and Quince wins hands down. I don't care if every diners' plate is laid down at the same time - and I don't need to choose a theme for my meal. I care about taste and the quality of the food and Quince, with its emphasis on locally sourced ingredients, hits exactly the right balance between wildly creative flavors and friendly, informative service by people who love the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buyer Beware! Not Value For $$$$$MitchInSanFranVIPDined on 7/3/2014Quince is very good, but the value is not good for the meal. Our bill was $557 before tip for 2 people, which is okay for an exquisite dining experience, but the food did not live up to that. We had the 5 course fixed price menu, and my wife had the wine flight. I had 2 drinks.The pasta course was excellent. My wife had the sea bass, which was very good. I had the steak, which was $25 extra, and it was not worth it. Very little flavor. All in all, I thought the meal was good, but not great. I did not feel it was good value for the amount Quince charges. If I want to spend that much for a fancy dinner, I would much rather go to Gary Danko's, or in days gone by, Masa's or Fleur de Lys, where I always felt the meal matched the price.Special Features:
- Phenomenal Dining ExperienceFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/1/2014Notwithstanding very high expectations given previous experiences with other Michelin star restaurants, we were absolutely blown away by our recent experience at Quince. Food quality, flavours and wine pairings were all absolutely spot on the mark, and the knowledgeable and extremely passionate staff made the experience all the more worthwhile. Bravo! Will absolutely return the next time we are in town.Special Features:
- Overpriced and under fedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014One can easily find much better value almost anywhere else in the Bay Area. Portions are very small although well executed. Wine selections are on point. In general quince is very good just incredibly overpriced. Save every last penny if you want to eat here!Special Features:
- FantasticChampinoDined on 6/28/2014Beautiful space. Impeccably trained staff. Phenomenal food.Special Features:
- Beyond wordsFishDined on 6/27/2014Stunning and a visual delight. Not many places will make you swoon three days laterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1410 reviews are from the Quince Restaurant reviews archive.
- Nothing but disappointment.ggorajiDined on 6/23/2014I am from Canada and I love fine dining - thats where most of my paycheck goes. I was dying to have a michellin star restaurant experience so my gf and I chose Quince. We both had $180 9 course dinner. Appetizers all taste the same. It was getting better as the course went on, all the sauces and everything had its complexity and unique taste. Unfortunately they don't always mean great taste. It was OK. nothing more than that. Desserts were excellent. That I enjoyed. Overall they werent that bad. But I can easily name 10 restaurants in Toronto that have much better food than Quince and cheaper. O plus, there were crying kids in the restaurant. And also, servers rnt that nice either. they will rap the menu and run away.Special Features: