16 Sydenham Street
Dundas, ON L9H 2T4Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.quatrefoilrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (905) 628-7800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Fraser Macfarlane
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Quatrefoil
Chefs Fraser Macfarlane and Georgina Mitropoulos opened Quatrefoil Restaurant in May, 2010. Since then, the restaurant has been named among the top 10 best new Canadian restaurants of 2010 by enRoute Magazine, and among the top 10 best new restaurants of 2011 in Toronto by Toronto Life magazine. Quatrefoil Restaurant is also featured as a prime dining destination in the 2011 edition of Where to Eat in Canada. Located in the quaint community of Dundas, Ontario, the restaurant offers contemporary French cuisine in a charming heritage home turned modern eatery. Macfarlane and Mitropoulos, a husband-and-wife team, met in the kitchen of Toronto's Scaramouche Restaurant, before heading to Europe to seek out new food styles and experiences. Together, the pair has cooked in some of the best Michelin-starred restaurants in Europe, training under notable chefs such as Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay and Gary Hollihead.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Quatrefoil - Best Restaurants in Dundas ›
Quatrefoil reviews from OpenTable diners
158 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (131)fit for foodies (122)romantic (96)neighborhood gem (74)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (52)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (31)hot spot (16)great for brunch (13)late-night find (8)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Never had a bad meal here. Best Pickerel I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- An improvement from my previous experiencesMikiDined on 11/15/2014I have been at Quatrefoil for brunch, lunch and diner. Diner is by far the best experience. I was able to appreciate it even more due to the fact that I had no been impressed by the food before. There was always some detail I did not appreciate but Saturday night was outstanding from start to the end. The hostess, who had us wait for a few minutes until our table was ready, near the fireplace, and waitress Linsay were perfect. In fact when I did not see the white wine on the table as customary, I was concerned she would forget to serve it to us at appropriate times. She never missed a beat as she kept it on the bar, close behind my step-daughter so it would not interfere with the display of the food on the table The experience comes from the food but if the staff had not been trained so exceedingly well, the delightful cost would have been less understandable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Two Thumbs UpNewbieDined on 11/15/2014I have eaten here only twice (once for dinner at a table for 10 in a lovely room all to ourselves and once for lunch at a table for two). It is a special place with all of the formality you could want (white table cloths, comfortable chairs, classy ambience), but also informal enough to enjoy an intimate experience (either with a group or a friend). The service is excellent (prompt and almost invisible) and sincere. The food is top notch in freshness, flavour and presentation and the prices are affordable (not for every day, but when you want a no-hassle, first-class experience).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlliDined on 11/15/2014Amazing food, outstanding service and great atmosphere. We will definitely go out of our way to go to Quatrefoil again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiencelolaDined on 11/11/2014I brought my mother here for Remembrance day, a special day for her memories. She enjoyed the entrée of trout but we both found the sweet onion soup extremely rich and could not finish it. Dessert was a nice treat, a perfect size and the coffee is outstanding. It is so nice to take someone who has hearing problems to a restaurant that is quiet enough to be able to talk without shouting. Great friendly wait staff and lots of time between courses to relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious in every sense of the wordOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014From the moment you arrive you are glad you came! You are welcomed as if are dining at a friends house. The food is perfectly cooked and innovative but not "weird" The staff are friendly but professional and efficient. All the dishes our table order were cooked to perfection and served hot. The beef tenderloin was med rare as order and melt in your mouth. The scallop appetizer and cornish hens were highlights as well. If you are lucky to be there when they have their tasting menu I advise to order it as it gives you a tour of their menu. The breads are worth coming alone, the bread sticks being my favourite. Desserts included some interesting twists on the classics. I would highly recommend you try it, you will be sure to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner nov 7 2014thedashingdinerDined on 11/7/2014Went for my girlfriends birthday. We had been once before for the fixed price lunch and were blown away by the food and service. We both thought that the price for the lunch was very reasonable. So when we returned our expectations were very high. The service didn't disapoint. The hostess, waiter and server were all very kind knowledgeable helpful and never pushy or overbearing. We started with the complimentary bread which was as delisious as i remember. We each got a cocktail, very tasty. We got appetizers, the scallops were amazing but the gnocchi was a little mushy. I had the bison steak dinner. Bison cooked to perfection and the sides were incredible. Girlfriend had pickrel dinner. Good but not spectacular. Dessert spectacular. PricySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!WeekendWarriorDined on 11/1/2014I loved this place! I don't even know what else to say. Start to finish, Quatetrefoil did not miss one single step. From the warm greeting, our knowledgable and friendly waiter (Matthew) The appetizers, the wine, the mains, the desserts....YUM! It was one of the best experiences in a restaurant that I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fine dining in Hamilton areaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Quatrefoil is simply superb. The food is divine and the service is impeccable. The ambiance at the restaurant was quiet and intimate and our waiter catered to our every need. Never did we feel rushed through dinner. Quatrefoil is everything you would expect from any fine dining restaurant in Toronto, but this one happens to be in our own backyard - in Hamilton! We've learned that the owners are opening another more relaxed-style restaurant on Locke Street in the next couple of weeks. We will definitely be checking that out as well. Loved Quatrefoil.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special TreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Amazing restaurant, it was a great experience but very expensive. Guess you get what you pay forSpecial Features:
- Magnificent!food4thesoulDined on 10/25/2014My husband and I have frequented the Quatrefoil on a number of occasions and never have they let us down! Always a magnificent experience.Special Features:
- Memorable anniversary lunchTangolimaDined on 10/24/2014I read many positive reviews of Quatrefoil before selecting this restaurant for our anniversary lunch, and I must say they did not disappoint. The service, ambiance and food were outstanding. We were even offered a complimentary glass of sparkling wine to help celebrate the occasion -- a very thoughtful touch. The food was prepared with care, which carried through to the presentation, but most importantly, every bit was tasty. Portion size was fine for us, and the service was both friendly and gracious. The prix fixe lunch was good value and offered sufficient options to satisfy our different tastes. In all a great dining experience. Will come again.Special Features:
- Excellent.JewelsDined on 10/24/2014Enjoyed a leisurely lunch on a Friday. Wonderful atmosphere. Exceptional service. Fantastic Food!Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as usualdundasmomDined on 10/23/2014I have been to Quatrefoil many times: the service and food is always excellent . The presentation and inventiveness of the food is always fantastic: a great special occasion placeSpecial Features:
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to Quatrafoil. It was perfect for getting together for lunch with friends to catch up. The dining room was serene and glowing with the afternoon sun streaming through the drapery. The fixed prix lunch menu provides an ample selection, The food was delicious and the service was excellent. We've already made a plan to meet again in January.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationActonstellaDined on 10/22/2014We travelled from Georgetown and Niagara on the Lake to meet and celebrate three Fall birthdays. The reviews online and information from other friends confirmed that Quatrefoil was the right choice. We had a quiet table upstairs and our waitress was very attentive. The calamari and rainbow trout was delicious as well as the French champagne. The tiny candles on each of the dessert plates and the complimentary dessert wine added to a lovely celebration.Special Features:
- Little gemHEATHERVIPDined on 10/18/2014What a lovely 1st anniversary dinner we had. We were impressed by the wine selection (yay for Demi's!) and thought the food well thought out. I had the bison and my husband the beef tenderloin. We also had oysters (with champagne) and I had the gnocci (super fluffy as they should be) to start. Dessert was a lot of fun and we had the fun fair (popcorn, donuts etc) that my husband LOVED. I preferred the deconstructed apple tart as it was refreshing and inventive. The chocolate cake was devine, lushious and decadent. We thought it was a VERY lovely experience and the staff were friendly but not intrusive and the space reminded us a little of the French Laundry. Overall, perfect for special occassions.Special Features:
- where have you been all my lifetammielynDined on 10/17/2014This was our first visit but not our last. At first we were taken back by the limited menu however the food was an excitement for the palate each bite better than the one before. The decor equisite. We were quickly taken to our table which btw was a divine room to ourself which was perfect for our family celebration. The staff was delightful our server Kyle made our evening even more enjoyable. We will definitely be back QUATREFOIL!!! Magnifique!!! 5*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food.sweettoothDined on 10/17/2014The lunch prix fixe menu is a great bargain, much better than their dinner prix fixe menu in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentkeanoDined on 10/17/2014Terrific food, service and wine. Not cheap, but still good value. Try the tasting menu....Special Features:
- Love Quatrefoil!luv2dineDined on 10/14/2014My husband has taken me here several times in the last few years for dinner and it is fantastic every time. We took my dad this time for his birthday dinner, and again it was great. They even had our favourite wine we enjoyed in Nice on our honeymoon this summer. Overall a great place for any occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the TripMountainManDined on 10/14/2014Visited for lunch on a quiet Tuesday afternoon following the Canadian Thanksgiving. Our small group all opted for the appealing and well priced 3 course prix fixe menu. Unlike many such offerings, the portions, quality and attention to detail far exceeded our expectations. A fresh salad was complimented by shaved carrot, beets, feta cheese and a wonderful dressing. Some guests opted for the beautiful rainbow trout on a bed of creamy lemon rissoto. One guests meatloaf selection drew similar rave reviews.A lovely bottle of local Ontario Pinot Noir complimented both entrees beautifully. Desserts of vanilla creme brule and deconstructed apple tart along with Caffe americanos rounded out the luncheon offering. Most enjoyable from start to finishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinnermathguyDined on 10/11/2014We had yet another great meal at Quatrefoil. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014The food was excellent and of a decent amount. When the wait staff learned of our anniversary, they treated us to two glasses of bubbly wine. A very enjoyable lunch and we would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TitlereviewerDined on 10/9/2014Great experience. Creative food offerings were only exceeded by the service. As a bonus, no tree fell on our car.Special Features:
- MmacDined on 10/8/2014Overall a wonderful experience with excellent service and food. A great place to celebrate a special birthday. Three course lunch menu had good variety as well as price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwayschocolatequeenDined on 10/7/2014We've had the pleasure of visiting Quatrefoil on a number of occasions and have always enjoyed the experience. The wine list is excellent, even by the glass. We enjoyed the scallops and gnocchi appetizers, the beef tenderloin and black forest bomb immensely. The service was also excellent, as usual.Special Features:
- BeunobeunoDined on 10/4/2014A real treat for our anniversary - romantic, delicious and personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedwannabefoodieDined on 10/4/2014Perhaps I had built up too high expectations, but my food at Quatrefoil was not as good as I had hoped. I could have had the same quality food at a regular restaurant for half the price. I am willing to try Quatrefoil again, hoping it was only the food that I ordered that was disappointing and that the other menu items live up to expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor lunch experienceunpleasantDined on 10/4/2014We had an uncomfortable experience on Saturday, October 3 for lunch. Two of the four mains arrived at the table ,not just cool, but cold. Two people ordered Eggs Benedict, one of the three mains listed on the lunch special. The plates were not even slightly warm, the server should not have served them. The other two were hot and excellent. I felt the food should be returned to the kitchen, but the husbands just ate the eggs benedict with little enjoyment. The restaurant was not crowded, about 1/2 full. Should I return I will certainly let my server know that my food must arrive at the table hot. When you are paying $30.00 for lunch this is really poor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthdaytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014Have been to Quatrefoil a few times and it never disappoints! Food creative and delicious. Quiet enough for conversation. Great service and knowledgeable staff!Special Features:
- Excellent placeCopper495Dined on 9/26/2014Good was amazing! Service even better! Great little place would never have thought to look for such a great restaurant where it is located! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favourite restaurantDundasFanDined on 9/26/2014Consistently perfect and gorgeous food, and warm, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat to dine here!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014The food, service and surroundings are consistently excellent. You pay for the privilege, but this is a restaurant for those nights when you have time to sit and savour beautiful food prepared with technical precision.Special Features:
- jantDined on 9/25/2014We spent a lovely anniversary dinner at Quatrefoil. We have been here before and always had a wonderful dinner, but this dinner was phenomenal - the tuna appetizer was amazing, the halibut and salmon entrees were delicious, and the complimentary amuse bouce was a lovely treat. Not only was the food fabulous, the presentation was beautiful and artistic. Service was friendly and professional, the whole evening was delightful - thanks Quatrefoil!Special Features:
- Great as usualsallygDined on 9/24/2014If there is one restaurant to go to for a special meal, this would be it. From the mouthwatering appetizers to the perfectly cooked beef tenderloin, every mouthful was bliss. Attentive staff, great wine suggestions. Overall 10/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We enjoyed the 5 course menu and asked for a wine paring which was a pleasant yes and good choices. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion SpotneighbourhoooddelightDined on 9/19/2014Quatrefoil is the restaurant we choose for a special occasion celebration. The staff is delightful; friendly and welcoming, yet sophisticated and professional. We thoroughly enjoyed the Friday night tasting menu. There was excellent variety and the opportunity to try a number of items on the regular menu. Good value for the quality and quantity of items.Special Features:
- Spring into colors but it was fallMaitriDined on 9/18/2014We love going to nice restaurants, ambiance is always such a mood setter. And in that Quatrefoil never disappoints, once the doors were actually unlocked and we were let in. I made a reservaton for noon, and found that the door was locked when we arrived. I had no idea noon meant that the door would be locked if we should show up 5 minutes early. The service was excellent from there on. Then food arrived, and while it was delicious, the colors were absolutely horrible. The fish was served on a bed of bright green risotto. That pink of the fish clashed with the green in ways I cannot even begin to describe. It was a very spring into Spring kind of a dish. Only we were there on Sept 18th and it was raining outside.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Hamilton AreaJudiDined on 9/13/2014This is our 6th or 7th dining experience at Quatrefoil and I can only say it is outstanding. The food is very creative and prepared to perfection. We had an excellent server, a female by the way, who timed our service to perfection. We were celebrating our daughter and son-in-laws birthdays and their 25th wedding anniversary as well. Everyone ordered something different and we were all extremely happy. Although the menu is relatively small, a good thing, I think, the selection is more than adequate. Many thanks and we will be back.Special Features: