564 S. Coast Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.qerorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7607539050x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m
Friday: 11:30 a.m - 10:00 p.m
Saturday: 12:30 p.m - 10:00 p.m
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Monica Szepesy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering menus are available upon request.
A word from Q'ero
The enticing aromas that surround you, as you step into the intimate dining room of Q'ero, instantly transport you to the picanterias that you stumble upon while walking the quaint streets of Cusco. Located in the heart of downtown Encinitas on the 101, Q'ero serves authentic, wholesome food inspired by Peruvian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Q'ero - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Q'ero reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (34)romantic (32)great for lunch (18)notable wine list (11)hot spot (8)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- FromFallbrookDined on 7/18/2014Food and dessert were outstanding. Service was slow; however, every table was taken. Noise level, loud. Next time, we'll sit outside - weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great. missed the special occasion.breakinbreadDined on 7/17/2014Pros:Service...excellent. The food was extremely tasty and not too $$$. Cons: It was too warm inside. I had included the occasion with the online reservation but there was no candle...:(Special Features:
- Divine Peruvian FoodFoodyFoodersonDined on 7/15/2014This is a great place with great flavor. There are many dishes for the vegetarian and gluten free in the apps and sides sections and a couple of those are a good way to taste a lot of the menu and are very reasonably priced. I'm not a huge ceviche fan but this place's ceviche is to die for and the plantain crisps are delightful with that amazing dipping sauce!Special Features:
- Fantastic Peruvian FoodJDRobinDined on 7/12/2014Q'ero features creative and delicious Peruvian food. The ceviche is fabulous, and the main courses are equally wonderful. I had the ribs, which were delicious. The service was attentive and quick. It is a small restaurant, but the ambiance is charming.Special Features:
- A Foodie's Paradise!PatyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Q'ero's is one of my most favorite places to dine. They do the most incredible things with spices and create dishes that will have you coming back over and over again. When I want to impress someone with a new dining experience, I take them to Q'eros. The restaurant is quaint, the staff is very attentive, and of course, the food is out of this world! And while you're there, try their Sangria. It's some of the best I've had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalVal76CalVal76Dined on 7/12/2014Too noisy and crowded on weekend eves. Would never go again on F/S/S evening again. Lunch yes, dinner no.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buzzymikeDined on 7/10/2014Have been eying this restaurant for years. The food didn't disappoint. But sadly our server almost ruined the entire experience. We edited on her more than she on us. Took forever to place orders or get refills. And when we did get to place then we were meet with a palpable insincerity. I'd like to say it was us who put her off but no matter how hard my wife and I tried to be overly kind we were meet with the same attitude. Could be they were understaffed for the evening. Food was amazing. Most places put an ethnic twist on an American dish but these were original if not traditional dishes. I can't say I know Bolivian or Peruvian food but everything we tried was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeneVIPDined on 7/3/2014Heard so much about you and now we know why. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Yo Quiero Q'eroPizzaDanDined on 6/27/2014Don't be afraid to try this place. Sure, Peruvian sounds exotic, but it is crazy good for even the most skeptical/skittish eaters. They have pulled chicken or beef empanadas (basically little pot pies filled with beef, spices and goodness). The beet salad (Beteraba) is tasty as are the Amici greens with oranges and pepitas (I had to look that up, they are toasted and spiced pumpkin seeds). We shared a vegetarian empanada with lentils spinach and sweet potatoes which was tasty. The Lunch Boxes are a great special where you get an entree paired with one of the salads. I enjoyed the chicken empanada and tasted my friend's Quinoa crusted chicken which was quite good. Dessert menu is unique and we enjoyed the Tulum. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- Very Noisy, Food not creativeKen12345Dined on 6/21/2014Food was dry and bland and super noisy. I couldn't even hear the person next to me. My wife had the duck special and it was not special at all. I don't know why everyone raves over this place.Special Features:
- A memorable mealprhaleDined on 6/20/2014A few meals in life are truly memorable, and this was one of them. My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary, so we had it all. Appetizers of crusted scallops (with a chili bite!) and incredibly special ceviche. We split a warm spinach salad with local beets, goat cheese and walnuts, and then moved on to splitting the duck breast special, with a fabulous sauce and an array of beautifully presented veggies. The wine was a yummy malbec blend, big enough to support this dinner, all the way to the dessert I can't spell or pronounce, a cheesy filling between two chocolate crusts. Good thing we had to walk home. Q'ero is my new fav special occasion family-owned restaurant.Special Features:
- My favorite authentic local placesurfnikDined on 6/20/2014We dined there last Friday with 2 friends from Germany and Netherlands. 4 of us in total. They said this is the best meal they've had during their 3 weeks in the states, this is coming from foodies who've been dining at recommended places in SD and Chicago. This was our 2nd visit. The pork shank was incredible, and they ordered the 2 evening specials: Halibut, Duck. All tasty. The apps were good too, we ordered both empanadas and the ceviche. The food is different, remarkable and delicious. Service is good and we don't feel rushed. The space is small -good for 2-4 person party and those seeking intimate dining. The food is a bit pricey but well deserving of it. With 2 bottles of wine the bill is expensive. Going again soon for my b-day :)Special Features:
- sanchmanDined on 6/19/2014I have heard so much regarding Q'ero and I wasn't disappointed. Our dinner was fantastic! Can't wait tot return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!RoloverVIPDined on 6/13/2014Q'ero has a unique and interesting menu. The atmosphere is cozy and warm and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in EncinitasSandcDined on 6/10/2014Exquisite food, great service! Encinitas Gem. I've been going to Qero for a long time and it's still my favorite place to dine. I take everyone who comes from out of town.Special Features:
- Food Still Great - but service?getoutandgoDined on 6/7/2014Great food and wine as always. But service has slipped. Too long to get food out. Lots of smoke from the kitchen. Wine glasses sitting empty on table, etc. Its a shame because this was one of our favorite restaurants in North County. It was always worth putting up with the tight squeeze for seating, and overcrowded pathways in the past, but not so sure now.Special Features:
- another great dinner at Q'eroStrokeanddistanceDined on 6/7/2014Consistently wonderful place to eat. Amazes me how many people who live in the area have never been to Q'ero. But that's okay because it's hard enough to get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodSauceonthesideVIPDined on 6/5/2014Each dish that we had was delicious. The special ceviche, Peruvian style, was fabulous. I can't wait to come back for my birthday next month!!Special Features:
- Wonderful FindArlaDined on 6/5/2014My husband and I went to Q'ero for his birthday and what a wonderful find! We thought how much we would love it if Q'ero was in our neighborhood. We would be there all the time. Excellent food! Ambience! Service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014I've only ever had seafood here, because I'm a seafood junkie, and it is always excellent: very fresh and perfectly prepared. The ceviche is to die for... some of the best I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 24caliDined on 5/27/2014Food was unusual and delicious. Our waiter was excellent in helping us navigate the menu, but service was a little slow. The restaurant is VERY small, and VERY noisy when we got there at 8:00. It was touted as a date spot, but I think it was way too loud for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic dinnerKief97Dined on 5/24/2014The food and overall experience was delightful. We 'd highly recommend it. Due to the small size of the restaurant it fills up on most nights so reservations are necessary to get a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A rare GemMaritzaDined on 5/17/2014Q'ero was a great surprise! My husband and I decided to try something new and Q'ero did not disappoint! I ordered a stewed chicken dish and my husband had the short ribs- delish! I could have dined on their appetizers alone. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the best!catitaVIPDined on 5/15/2014What can I say? Q'ero never fails....that's why there will be Case de Q'ero soon!! Yipppeee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome peruvian spotarmaracDined on 5/11/2014traditional peruvian plates are awesome as well as more modern dishes. the quality of food is excellent and the desserts are a dream. highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pervian Food!LJTGWDined on 5/10/2014Love this restaurant - especially after traveling to South America! The food is wonderful! Need to make a reservation as it is small and fills up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last dinner before NZ.1stqualityalwaysDined on 4/29/2014Man it is really noisy in the restaurant. My old ears where failing me thinks. I enjoyed everything! The decor is amazing and we came in and simply sat at our table. Some how I knew it was ours. What a feeling. And our sever was very accommodating. My daughter was late from a business meeting. But the entire dinner went very well, Thanks Alexis ! Will be back asap after NZ!! May Q'ero remain the most amazing restaurant always. :)Special Features:
- The following 623 reviews are from the Q'ero reviews archive.
- Street Fair April 26, 2014GreatDined on 4/26/2014This was a great place for lunch. We were a party of six. Service was attentive and the food was wonderful. Dining location was near Coaster station which was for good my wife and I as we came up from San Diego on the train.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite places....FoodieVIPDined on 4/25/2014I love the food and ambience at Q'ero. I'm not sure whether I'm enjoying Peruvian food, or the preparation of Peruvian food at Q'ero, but regardless, it's a great place. It's very small, and you generally need a reservation, but that of course is what OpenTable is for! Service is good, but perhaps just a notch down from the food and ambience. It can also be loud at Q'ero so be prepared. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food Bad Servertiff0203Dined on 4/25/2014A group of 4 of us went here on a Friday night. It was busy, but the place isn't big at all so the problems that we had with service were unnecessary. We had a reservation at 8, but it took 15 minutes for anyone to acknowledge us. Once we sat down all 4 of us ordered drinks, only 3 came out. I had to ask another server for my drink. I ordered the lamb & even though the dish did not have mushrooms I told him I had a mushroom allergy so please be mindful of that. The dish that he brought to me was not only not the lamb, but it was a dish that HAD mushrooms. Finally the right food came out & it was delicious. Then there was the charges on our check. Overcharged for drinks that were not ordered & food. I dont recall his name he was older tho.Special Features:
- Q'ero Is Always A Treat!folksullDined on 4/17/2014I have been eating at this restaurant since Monica and Michael opened it several years ago under the name "Amici". It has been and remains my favorite restaurant in North County. The food is always distinctive, inventive and delicious. The room is beautifully decorated and is warm and and intimate. The service is always excellent. My recent visit was my first in over a year and it did not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- must try placecatoswaldDined on 4/16/2014Have you been to Q'ero? It's a must try. That simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is mostly locallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/10/2014The food is mostly locally sourced and excellent. The kitchen gladly accomodated my dairy allergy. The place is loud, with tables one on top of the other, and with harsh acoustics. Our waitress was knowledgeable about the food and efficient. The wine list contains mostly South American vintages, with which we were unfamiliar. The prices varied widely; and the waitress was clearly pushing the high end without seeming to be that familiar with them. Next time we'd throw a dart at the low end for comparison.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Q'eroLinSueDined on 3/22/2014We have dined at Q'ero many times for both lunch & dinner. The food is excellent Peruvian fare. The Sangria is outstanding, housemade!! If you want unique food this is the place. Be prepared for a slow dining experience, the food does not come out quickly from the kitchen. Small, intimate restaurant with outside dining as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Q'ero - excellentHKollarDined on 3/22/2014This was our second trip to Q'ero in about 6 months and it didn't disappoint...Again!! Patrick our server was perfect, his recommendations were great. My wife and I both loved our meals. I had grouper and my wife had lamb. My wife loves lamb and absolutely loves Q'ero lamb. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something differentIrishDined on 3/22/2014I prefer to choose a restaurant that offers a cultural eating adventure, which Q'ero certainly does. Q'ero is a small, somewhat dark space, and the tables are crowded in. The restaurant was 3/4 full and the two servers seemed rushed and unclear as to whom was responsible for which tables. For the most part, the food was interesting and quite good. I forgot to ask about the degree of chile spice and found the Empanatas to have more kick than I am comfortable with. I chose the calamari and mushrooms for my entree and was very pleased. The plantains were delicious - I'd go back just for them! In general the prices were within reason and portions appropriate. I intend to return and would recommend Q'ero as a welcome change of pace.Special Features:
- Once again Q'ero did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2014Once again Q'ero did not disappoint. Took friends and they are now fans too. The food is always great and so is the service. This is a relatively exotic menu but the staff is more than happy to explain what things are and recommend things that would be to your taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had not been to Q'ero inOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/15/2014We had not been to Q'ero in a very long time and needed our Peruvian fix! We traveled in Peru last year and Q'ero is the real deal! Food is authentic and absolutely wonderful! Will be back sooner than later and would highly recommend to everyone loving Peruvian food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2014The food is excellent, the service is good, not outstanding, the noise level is to high, two of the four people in our party had problems hearing the conversation. We did have a problem with the owner trying to turn our table before we were ready to leave, it was a busy Friday night and people were standing in line, overbooking should not cause a problem for patronsI would recommend this to a friend.
- Been there Done thatPDQTDined on 3/6/2014Was curious about Peruvian food; read a review of Q'ero in a local paper/mag last year. Seating very crowded; Very noisy. Most entrees overpriced for both the amount and the ingredients. Warm quinoa salad was delicious but highly over-priced at $14 (for a grain dish?). Wait staff was pleasant and efficient. Found nothing to tempt us to return. Over all impression....eh.