564 S. Coast Highway 101
Encinitas, CA 92024Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.qerorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7607539050x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday-Thursday: 4:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m
Friday: 11:30 a.m - 10:00 p.m
Saturday: 12:30 p.m - 10:00 p.m
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, South American, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Monica Szepesy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Catering menus are available upon request.
A word from Q'ero
The enticing aromas that surround you, as you step into the intimate dining room of Q'ero, instantly transport you to the picanterias that you stumble upon while walking the quaint streets of Cusco. Located in the heart of downtown Encinitas on the 101, Q'ero serves authentic, wholesome food inspired by Peruvian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Q'ero - Best Restaurants in Encinitas ›
Q'ero reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)fit for foodies (63)special occasion (36)romantic (33)great for lunch (16)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (5)good for groups (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Dinner with a Big Side of AttitudeDaCodaDined on 9/10/2014When we walked in we felt like we had just come to a party we weren't invited to. The owner simply pointed to a small table. The table was next to the kitchen, so there was always someone rushing by and I was treated to a beautiful view of the kitchen everytime the door opened. My husband faced toward the window and couldn't see my face because of the huge glare coming in. When we asked to change tables we were initially rudely told no, but after complaining again,were re- seated. Short ribs entree was great, but everything else was just ok, including the scallop appetizer - tasteless, and the empanada was soooo dry! For $120 it was totally overpriced. We could have gone to a nice restaurant, without the attitude or mediocre starters.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014My wife's from Peru so I took her to dinner at Q'ero and I wasn't let down. Everything was delicious from the saltenas, to the main course, and the warm chocolate cake at the end. I would highly recommend this restaurant if you're interested in Peruvian style / South American food.Special Features:
- Carlsbad CouplecarlsbadcoupleDined on 9/6/2014We visited Q'ero on a Saturday night. We had reservations and our table was ready when we arrived. We were greeted by our waitress immediately and offered drinks. Our waitress was very knowledgable about the menu and wine list. We shared a couple appetizers, a salad, and 3 side dishes. The food was delicious - very fresh and the flavors nicely developed. The only criticism I have is that the ceviche did not come with any chips or crackers. We had to order those separately. Other than that, everything was fantastic!Special Features:
- One of my favsprhaleDined on 9/2/2014I love this restaurant! Wonderful unique flavors, family service, special menu. Great for tasting or for a special occasion. Hard not to want to eat everything on the menu!Special Features:
- Exquisite FoodWDG211VIPDined on 8/29/2014Try the pork shank (Pernil) and save room for tres leches cake.Special Features:
- Not so intimate or authenticdjpthemanDined on 8/29/2014Hot and loud inside. Tables are too long. Yuca frita arrived as chips.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014The food quality is excellent and very well prepared. Very authentic! The staff is very professional & knowledgeable, humble and friendly.Special Features:
- Yes but ...CarolDined on 8/16/2014Yes it is adorable with cute Peruvian artifacts and excellent food and pretty good service. Worth going to, but ... Where are the Peruvians? Don't seem to be in the kitchen. Or waiting tables ... Waitress didn't even seem to speak Spanish or understand what a real Peruvian Pisco sour was compared to the wine version they offer. Hmmm.Special Features:
- Very Hot Inside!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was great, however, the restaurant is miserably hot. Would have been much better outdoors, but there are only a couple of tables outside. Would go back in the winter months, but never again in the summer. Restaurant needs to invest in air conditioning.Special Features:
- Peruvian at its BestServiceIsTheKeyDined on 8/15/2014I grew up in Peru so have fond memories of the Peruvian cuisine. This restaurant is legit !! Fantastic decor - none of those gaudy woven hangings -very authentic. Nice, unobtrusive service; decent menu (although no anticuchos on the lunch menu which is what I really wanted...) but the empanadas were delicious! I was told the prices were very high - they're not. Do make reservations - it's a fairly small place.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/14/2014The food was good service was great they had a problem with the AC so it was very hot inside the fans didn't helpSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic PeruvianGFinEncinitasDined on 8/13/2014We love this restaurant, both for the food and the vibrantly colored decor. The food is amazing. It's a very small restaurant so you will need reservations unless you go at lunch or very early in the evening. We love to tell the story about my brother who was so sure he would not like Peruvian food that he went kicking and screaming. It's now one of his favorite places also. Gluten free items are marked on the menu and there is a FG chocolate dessert that's amazing.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpheliaDined on 8/8/2014The wait staff was very helpful with suggestions for lunch and when our food arrived we were all delighted! I would suggest going a bit early for your reservations as street parking can be an issue.Special Features:
- DisappointingdisappointingVIPDined on 8/6/2014After many months of anticipation to dine here, we found it loud and extremely warm inside. The small venue provides little escape from overcrowding. While the food seemed to taste good and the porrtions were of shareable size, with all the food being warm, eating in an overheated room made me lose my appetite.
- Q'eroJess7286Dined on 8/5/2014Q'ero is a wonderful Peruvian restaurant, perfect to go to for dinner. I took my dad here for his birthday and we ordered the Pernil de Chancho (pork shank), Costillas en Jora (beef short ribs), and Bistek a la Trujillana (skirt steak). All three were delicious. My favorite was the pork shank. The meat is succulent, cooked perfectly, tender, and flavorful. For appetizers, I highly recommend the ceviche. Delicious food. Definitely worth the price.Special Features:
- Wonderfully flavorful!MardiDined on 8/5/2014This is the place to increase your palate and experience a wonderful meal; unique, authentic, incredible flavors, sophisticated and discriminating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyfoodyatheartDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food- nice to be there during a lull on a rainy Saturday. Recommend lunch as not as pricey, and recommend reservations!!!Special Features:
- Never a bad mealMrsnakDined on 7/30/2014I'm not sure why we don't make this a Must Dine spot while visiting CA. The food is always fabulous. It's a little warm inside, but if you want to drink, you cannot sit outside to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!OBeOneDined on 7/25/2014It was really our first time with Peruvian food so we did not know what to expect. Our server Patrick not only explained the menu but he also suggested dishes which were so refreshingly different and tasty. We washed down the vegetarian L-Empanadas, the L-Lomo Saltado Quin and L-Aji de Gallina Quin with a pitcher of Sangria. We were so in love with the red sauce that we bought a bottle of Panca Jar to go. We also enjoyed the Lucuma Mousse Torte for dessert. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and we would highly recommend Q'ero.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FromFallbrookDined on 7/18/2014Food and dessert were outstanding. Service was slow; however, every table was taken. Noise level, loud. Next time, we'll sit outside - weather permitting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great. missed the special occasion.breakinbreadDined on 7/17/2014Pros:Service...excellent. The food was extremely tasty and not too $$$. Cons: It was too warm inside. I had included the occasion with the online reservation but there was no candle...:(Special Features:
- Divine Peruvian FoodFoodyFoodersonDined on 7/15/2014This is a great place with great flavor. There are many dishes for the vegetarian and gluten free in the apps and sides sections and a couple of those are a good way to taste a lot of the menu and are very reasonably priced. I'm not a huge ceviche fan but this place's ceviche is to die for and the plantain crisps are delightful with that amazing dipping sauce!Special Features:
- Fantastic Peruvian FoodJDRobinDined on 7/12/2014Q'ero features creative and delicious Peruvian food. The ceviche is fabulous, and the main courses are equally wonderful. I had the ribs, which were delicious. The service was attentive and quick. It is a small restaurant, but the ambiance is charming.Special Features:
- A Foodie's Paradise!PatyVIPDined on 7/12/2014Q'ero's is one of my most favorite places to dine. They do the most incredible things with spices and create dishes that will have you coming back over and over again. When I want to impress someone with a new dining experience, I take them to Q'eros. The restaurant is quaint, the staff is very attentive, and of course, the food is out of this world! And while you're there, try their Sangria. It's some of the best I've had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CalVal76CalVal76Dined on 7/12/2014Too noisy and crowded on weekend eves. Would never go again on F/S/S evening again. Lunch yes, dinner no.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- buzzymikeDined on 7/10/2014Have been eying this restaurant for years. The food didn't disappoint. But sadly our server almost ruined the entire experience. We edited on her more than she on us. Took forever to place orders or get refills. And when we did get to place then we were meet with a palpable insincerity. I'd like to say it was us who put her off but no matter how hard my wife and I tried to be overly kind we were meet with the same attitude. Could be they were understaffed for the evening. Food was amazing. Most places put an ethnic twist on an American dish but these were original if not traditional dishes. I can't say I know Bolivian or Peruvian food but everything we tried was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LeneVIPDined on 7/3/2014Heard so much about you and now we know why. Fabulous.Special Features:
- Yo Quiero Q'eroPizzaDanDined on 6/27/2014Don't be afraid to try this place. Sure, Peruvian sounds exotic, but it is crazy good for even the most skeptical/skittish eaters. They have pulled chicken or beef empanadas (basically little pot pies filled with beef, spices and goodness). The beet salad (Beteraba) is tasty as are the Amici greens with oranges and pepitas (I had to look that up, they are toasted and spiced pumpkin seeds). We shared a vegetarian empanada with lentils spinach and sweet potatoes which was tasty. The Lunch Boxes are a great special where you get an entree paired with one of the salads. I enjoyed the chicken empanada and tasted my friend's Quinoa crusted chicken which was quite good. Dessert menu is unique and we enjoyed the Tulum. Service is excellent.Special Features:
- Very Noisy, Food not creativeKen12345Dined on 6/21/2014Food was dry and bland and super noisy. I couldn't even hear the person next to me. My wife had the duck special and it was not special at all. I don't know why everyone raves over this place.Special Features:
- Like always...AMAZING EXPERIENCEgrisVIPDined on 6/20/2014This restaurant is a true neighborhood gem! Service is always outstanding and food is to die for! Make sure you try the Lamb Shank and the Cow Heart...and to drink, their delicious sangria!Special Features:
- A memorable mealprhaleDined on 6/20/2014A few meals in life are truly memorable, and this was one of them. My husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary, so we had it all. Appetizers of crusted scallops (with a chili bite!) and incredibly special ceviche. We split a warm spinach salad with local beets, goat cheese and walnuts, and then moved on to splitting the duck breast special, with a fabulous sauce and an array of beautifully presented veggies. The wine was a yummy malbec blend, big enough to support this dinner, all the way to the dessert I can't spell or pronounce, a cheesy filling between two chocolate crusts. Good thing we had to walk home. Q'ero is my new fav special occasion family-owned restaurant.Special Features:
- My favorite authentic local placesurfnikDined on 6/20/2014We dined there last Friday with 2 friends from Germany and Netherlands. 4 of us in total. They said this is the best meal they've had during their 3 weeks in the states, this is coming from foodies who've been dining at recommended places in SD and Chicago. This was our 2nd visit. The pork shank was incredible, and they ordered the 2 evening specials: Halibut, Duck. All tasty. The apps were good too, we ordered both empanadas and the ceviche. The food is different, remarkable and delicious. Service is good and we don't feel rushed. The space is small -good for 2-4 person party and those seeking intimate dining. The food is a bit pricey but well deserving of it. With 2 bottles of wine the bill is expensive. Going again soon for my b-day :)Special Features:
- sanchmanDined on 6/19/2014I have heard so much regarding Q'ero and I wasn't disappointed. Our dinner was fantastic! Can't wait tot return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!RoloverVIPDined on 6/13/2014Q'ero has a unique and interesting menu. The atmosphere is cozy and warm and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in EncinitasSandcDined on 6/10/2014Exquisite food, great service! Encinitas Gem. I've been going to Qero for a long time and it's still my favorite place to dine. I take everyone who comes from out of town.Special Features:
- Food Still Great - but service?getoutandgoDined on 6/7/2014Great food and wine as always. But service has slipped. Too long to get food out. Lots of smoke from the kitchen. Wine glasses sitting empty on table, etc. Its a shame because this was one of our favorite restaurants in North County. It was always worth putting up with the tight squeeze for seating, and overcrowded pathways in the past, but not so sure now.Special Features:
- another great dinner at Q'eroStrokeanddistanceDined on 6/7/2014Consistently wonderful place to eat. Amazes me how many people who live in the area have never been to Q'ero. But that's okay because it's hard enough to get a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodSauceonthesideVIPDined on 6/5/2014Each dish that we had was delicious. The special ceviche, Peruvian style, was fabulous. I can't wait to come back for my birthday next month!!Special Features:
- Wonderful FindArlaDined on 6/5/2014My husband and I went to Q'ero for his birthday and what a wonderful find! We thought how much we would love it if Q'ero was in our neighborhood. We would be there all the time. Excellent food! Ambience! Service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014I've only ever had seafood here, because I'm a seafood junkie, and it is always excellent: very fresh and perfectly prepared. The ceviche is to die for... some of the best I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.