859 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.puttanesca.com/
- Phone: 2125814177
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Lunch Daily: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Tuesday - Wednesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm,- Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Dining is a great choice for birthday parties, wedding rehearsals and many other events.
- Private Party Contact: Sisco Nedoba 8776930919
- Entertainment: Please join us for our unlimited brunch weekends (Saturday & Sunday only)We offering Mimosa, Champagne, Bloody-Mary, Screwdriver, Peach & Strawberry Bellini's for $15, plus your menu selection!!
- Special Events: Puttanesca also have a private room for up to 45 people, for details please visit our website or call the restaurant directly. Thank you.
- Cross Street: 56th Street
- Public Transit: A,C,E train stops at 59th Street and 8 Ave.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We're validating parking on 56th street between 10th & 9th Ave right behind us,only $15 up to three hours. PLEASE NOTE: Please stamp your parking tickets before you leave the restaurant to get your lower rate.
A word from Puttanesca
Italian, Homemade Pastas and Desserts - Specials Daily.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Puttanesca reviews from OpenTable diners
- We read not great reviewsBPKingerDined on 1/25/2014We read not great reviews so we were nervous, but we enjoyed it - food was decent, nice atmosphere, helpful staff. We arrived early and they had no problem seating us. It was the end of brunch and they still gave us a brunch menu. We actually had to ask for the dinner menu, I thought they would try to give us the more expensive menu but they didn't! Nice big windows to look out at the horse and buggys going by and watch the snow fall! I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable Neighborhood FareJeffVIPDined on 1/17/2014After closing for renovation, Puttanesca is back in business, and it's a good dependable neighborhood choice. The renovation was primarily in the bar area and the exterior. Food is good but nothing special, and the prices are reasonable, sometimes that's just what you're looking for in a night out.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change for the faux trendyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2014When we lived in the neighborhood, we remembered Puttanesca as a warm, cozy, buzzing place for the locals where we could always count on traditional Italian pasta dishes paired with a lovely Sangiovese, at reasonable prices. After being away for a few years, we revisited the spot and found it a cold, loud place with faux trendy electronic dance music blaring through the loudspeakers, and a menu that was one (small) page of food and 3 - 4 pages devoted to wine. To say that we were disappointed would be an understatement.
- a bit disappointingsuselaDined on 1/11/2014We had not been to Puttanesca for about 4 years. It was not quite up to what it was a few years ago. Service and food were good, but not great or memorable.Special Features:
- What happened?AnitaVIPDined on 1/9/2014I've been going to Puttanesca since it opened. Always loved it. It hasn't been the same since the renovation. The food was bad and it seems that this restaurant needs a chef not a cook. So many things were off and I can't remember when I ever had a meal this bad anywhere. I hope these problems get worked out soon.
- Good Food; Good AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/5/2014We have dined here many times and have always enjoyed the food as well as the service. They make amazing soups as well as a pumpkin ricotta ravioli in brown butter that is out of this world. They are always attentive to my daughter which makes her feel special. The only note would be that I would pass on the desserts as they are slightly disappointing. Other than that, we will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood stapleElizabethVIPDined on 12/30/2013This is my favorite place for pasta puttanesca! Perfect for pre-theatre at Lincoln Center, Broadway or Carnegie Hall, just off the tourist track. The restaurant looks great after the recent renovation, but can be noisy. Best to go early in the evening before it gets crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this used to be a good restaurant..gretchenVIPDined on 12/30/2013this used to be a good restaurant.... now, I cannot recommend it. We waited interminably for very indifferent food. It was reasonable, but not "worth the bargain".
- Poor service / lunch menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2013Lunch/brunch menu has one side food choices and three sides wine choices. Food options limited and kitchen not flexible with special requests. Would not allow Us to order from dinner menu. Waiter seemed very busy even though only 5 or 6 Tables occupied. Rarely saw him after order taken. Busboy did more work and brought Out food. First someone else's to us then ours. He didn't know which plate went where. Small amount of bread for 6 people. This was a family stop for us but no longer
- a true findMarlaPilatesVIPDined on 12/27/2013This is a real gem, especially for lunch. Can you imagine really good Italian food starting at just $10--with a truffle shaving I might add! Very friendly and welcoming, authentic cooking, very reasonable. Shhh, don't tell!Special Features:
- Great spot with great food!JohnnyGVIPDined on 12/25/2013We made a last-minute reservation on Christmas day while visiting from Philly. We were pleasantly surprised how great the experience was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and cozyPatodicaDined on 12/24/2013Very nice place our two servers were always pending on us, food was also good but not great as it should be to give this place 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013Puttanesca is always on our list for dinner when visiting New York. The restaurant has been renovated and is a great casual dinner restaurant with excellent food and wine. Waiters are friendly and attentive. The complimentary glass of limoncello was a very nice holiday touch.Special Features:
- excellent findcknyDined on 12/24/2013Was looking for an italian restaurant in the area, that was moderately priced, and could accommodate a group, and came upon this one on Open Table. We tried it out, and were extremely pleased. From what I understand, it very recently changed ownership or chefs, so not sure if the more remote reviews are accurate. The menu was very inventive, not generic italian. We sampled many of the appetizers, pastas, and meats, and were generally very impressed. Service was very friendly. Decor was very warm and inviting yet modern. Not like the more typical old-fashioned white cloth Italian restaurants. Favorite dishes included the fried artichoke, insalata di cetrioli, paparadelle with lamb, and skirt steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!!!DavidVIPDined on 12/21/2013I could not recommend this restaurant more highly !!!!!!!!!!!! This gets 10 stars in my book!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Festive atmosphere and good foodFIFIDined on 12/20/2013Great place for a large group. Nicely decorated for the holidays created a festive feel. Everyone loved their meal from teenagers to adults. Good service and ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Menu varied, food good and tasty ambience very nice. Wait staff very attentive. Great location in manhsttenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food,No Service & No Mgmt!PauDanVIPDined on 12/3/2013A terrible experience with a shocking twist! Sat. brunch - good menu, waited 10mns no one came to take our order. We asked for the Mgr - Alex, who reluctantly took our order. Neither he nor a waiter came to table again. Food delivered by runners, order was incorrect, runner had to get it fixed & still no one else came to the table! Several waiters in the kitchen. We were there 45 mns and Alex, the Manager never came into the dining room again. The check never came, we went to the bar & No one had it. Alex was sitting in the corner playing with his phone. We asked to speak with him. He had no memory of taking our order or what table we were at. We shared our disappointment with him and then he yelled at us in front of everyone!Special Features:
- Nice Italian restaurantan1619Dined on 11/27/2013I came here with 4 other girls for my birthday dinner. The decor of this place was very nice and open with modern country vibe. Since we came at night the ambiance where our table was on the entrance side were soothing. The table had crispy calamari and zucchini which was good and the beef carppacio was not bad either. The entrees includes short ribs ravioli, pumpkin ravioli, gnocchi, and chicken salad. Everyone enjoyed their meal. For dessert we had coconut cream pie and apple tart. Both were not bad. The portion size on everything was average which is good because we did not want to carry any leftover for a night out. The best part was the food were reasonable priced. We definitely would come back here.Special Features:
- My second time here for amikeellisDined on 11/25/2013My second time here for a business / quasi personal lunch. Food excellent was good and service too. My vegan friend was able to find things to suit her, which was good. I had a glass of Montepulciano that the server recommended and it was an excellent pairing with my rigatoni alla norma.Special Features:
- Really enjoyable eveningSmileyDined on 11/20/2013From the wine (merlot was really quite good) to the fried calamari (delicious) to the eggplant parm (YUM although doesn't come with any sides) to the coconut pie for dessert I must say the food was really quite good. Additionally the prices are very reasonable. I did think the eggplant parm should have been offered with a pasta side rather than having to pay extra for one because at $16 you don't exactly get a large portion. But I can honestly say every bite was really delicious. Even the bread on the table was notable fresh and they provide a pesto with olive oil dip that is outrageous. The service was excellent and friendly as can be. I would definitely recommend this a really good Italian dining option.Special Features:
- Pleasant Brunchjmg0017Dined on 11/16/2013Eggs Benedict and steak (from steak & eggs) were overcooked, but the overall experience was pleasant. Drinks were tasty.Special Features:
- Homemad Italian,crowded pre-theaterEaterDined on 11/2/2013Been coming here for years for pre-theater dining, with a parking garage right around the corner and a few blocks walk to Lincoln Center, or Broadway shows. With a reservation it took about 20 minutes to be seated, but of course the marathon was this weekend and everyone was looking for pasta. The service is incredibly quick, which made up for the lost time. I recommend reservations, even if this place is still a bit off the radar, at least for the time being. The portions are generous, without being too big (read: won't make you sleepy before your show!). Flank steak is wonderful, as is the pasta. For Entrees/wine/dessert/coffee, paid just over $100 for two with tip/tax. I'll keep coming back.Special Features:
- Not totally sure...HellskitchenerVIPDined on 11/2/2013Party of four. Reservations made for 6:15pm - dinner pre 8:00pm show. Despite reservations, we were not able to sit until 6:40. (Not happy). Once at our table, the waiter was fast and very attentive. We told him we were in a rush and he promptly brought our drinks and got our orders. (Happy). Appetizers/salads came in 5 minutes. The artichoke salad and the beef carpaccio were really good. (Happy). Entrees also arrived promptly, once we finished our appetizers. (Happy). Three of us ordered the pappardelle with lamb sauce, but the food was mediocre and flavorless. (Not happy). The place was crowded at 6:00pm on Saturday (tons of pre-theater), so that should be taken into account. I'm on the fence whether to give them a second try...Special Features:
- Dinner with FriendsNoelcoppDined on 10/30/2013The food was excellent great for dating or family dining.Special Features:
- My dining companion who worksbobbarbaraVIPDined on 10/30/2013My dining companion who works in the neighborhood of Puttanesca noticed that the restaurant had been renovated. That was a positive comment. The space is open and the bar area looks comfortable. We were there for lunch and we shared a salad (good idea but bland and lacking in a discernible dressing) and each of us had a different Italian entree, both of which were acceptable .Our server was pleasant but inexperienced.Special Features:
- Gets better each time we go!grownupVIPDined on 10/27/2013We live nearby and have now been here three times since the restaurant reopened. Each time it gets better. The appetizer choices are great. Our main entrees were delicious. The service was attentive and not intrusive. And the prices are very reasonable. The place is attractive and the tables are spread out so you have some space between you and the othrr diners. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was underwhelming. WaitersTheatreFoodieVIPDined on 10/22/2013Food was underwhelming. Waiters were nice but often duplicated each other's efforts (as if they did not know who was assigned to our table). After we had paid the check a waiter brought us a bread basket. Sort of confusing. Also, we had a lovely waiter whose English was not very good, so when I was asking questions he had trouble understanding my questions.
- Consistently reliable good2CartersDined on 10/11/2013Consistently reliable good quality italian basics. Friendly staff. Pleasant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT ITALIAN FOODIronmanrayDined on 10/10/2013Great Italian dishes at reasonable prices. There were four in our group and we each raved about our entrees. Service was very good and we went before the theater and we were finished with ample time to make our show. We always eat here when we visit NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointed. The foodNYCVisitorDined on 10/5/2013A bit disappointed. The food was not as good as we were led to believe although my mother did enjoy the veal. Our waiter spilled wine all over my mother's purse and acted like it was her fault. He then almost did it again. The wine was not replaced. The noise level was the worst as we simply could not hear each other accross the table.Special Features:
- Good and bad1hungrygalDined on 10/4/2013The service was hurried, brusque and at times intimidating. Two of us were finished eating. Two of us were almost done. One of us was in the middle of dinner. TWO waiters descended on us taking empty plates away. They asked if the others were finished as they were putting forks to their mouths. Eventually they GOT two of the three remaining plates. They hovered over the dining holdout until she released her plate. The dining was NOT RELAXED. Too bad because the food is good - not superb but the prices were good. The ambience is cute. The waiters serve on their schedule not the diners'. It appears to be all about them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome back & Getting betterEllenVIPDined on 10/3/2013We're all happy to see that it returned after being closed for renovations. Been there twice since it reopened. The bar area has improved tremendously. Beautiful fun bar. The restaurant hasn't changed in that it is extremely noisy...brick walls remained. The menu is limited but the food has gotten better than it was. Too pricey for what it is. Hoping that it will get a bit better, but would return...just not a first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midtown reliable & friendlySbsNYCVIPDined on 10/2/2013We needed a convenient place to meet friends visiting from out of town and staying on 10th ave in the 50s. Puttanesca worked perfectly for meeting, eating and rolling a baby stroller. Lunch was great.Special Features:
- Nice renovation but mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/22/2013The menu is limited. Tried too hard to be more upscale. But they dropped some old favorites and food is average. Service is also spotty.
- The renovations were doneFoodie58VIPDined on 9/22/2013The renovations were done well to maintain the casually elegant look the restaurant had. The food and service remain very good making it a great neighborhood gem - except for the tiny tables. Four people are expected to sit at a table barely big enough for two. The plate size takes up so much room there is no space for wine glasses or anything else. In the category of comfort I rate you a POOR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Watch your wallet - Really...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/15/2013I don't know what was going on there the other night, but you had a female patron, seemingly homeless, totally passed out with her face planted, yes FACE PLANTED, down on the table. Not only that, there was a shady couple who switched tables from a window table to the one behind ours. They were drinking only coffee and I believe rifling through our coats which were hung on the back of our chairs. When I told the gentleman seated next to me to check for his wallet, they got up and left. You are a nice restaurant. The food is good. I like the upgrade you recently made to your room, but WTF - Your staff needs to control the room a lot better than they currently are. I don't think I'm coming back any time soon.
- More value than we expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/14/2013The food was in quite large portions and very good value. I was prepared for higher prices and standard fare, but each of us enjoyed our meal - various pastas, pizzette and the salads. The atmosphere was cozy, vibrant and energetic. There were families, couples and friends meeting for a drink. It was a great final dinner out with my parents and family before we headed back to the West Coast. The food came at a nice pace and our kids were able to find some options (although the pasta portions can be huge, so think about sharing.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went DownhillOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/11/2013Ate here with my family about a year ago, after having been there before , and everything we ordered was excellent. They changed the menu since then and I would never go back again, The choices and quality were terrible.
- A few things to note: foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2013A few things to note: food was not quite as good as it used to be. pasta dishes a bit on the bland side. Service very slow & not attentative. For five people, it took over 2 1/2 hours. service not prompt, not on top of water refilling, not on top of check. service needs to be improved. Hostess very nice and polite but should not be wearing ripped torn up Jeans. Should look more professional. A manager, bald headed man, was there to over see things, but should have been going to each table to ask how things were.I would recommend this to a friend.