17 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://purespirits.ca/
- Phone: 4163615859
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily - 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Daily - 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Andre Walker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to any size event from 20-700 and specialize in weddings. Menu selections include hors d'oeuvres, canapes, mini appetizers, three course - five course prix fixe menus to fit any budget.
- Private Party Facilities: There are fantastic party spaces in our sister restaurants across rom Pure Spirits Oyster House and Grill. They are Archeo Restaurant, The Boiler House Restaurant and the Fermenting Cellar event space.
- Private Party Contact: Kristy Dennison 4162032363
- Entertainment: At the slightest sight of summer, we open the doors to our patio where you can sit and take in the beautiful Victorian Industrial architecture that the site is famous for.
Grab a seat at the Oyster Bar where you can mingle with a Chef shucking your oysters to order and teaching you about the amazing flavours and how to best match it to our selelction of local beers.
Visit during the Christmas Market (Nov 30-Dec 16) and sit in front of log burning fire pits while carolers sing in the distance.
- Special Events: Nuit Blanche Sept 29th - all night exhibition of art
Christmas Market - Nov 30th - Dec 16th - celebrate a German style holiday market with live music, fun foods, mulled wine and a 40' Christmas tree and thousand of lights to get you into the spirit of giving
A word from Pure Spirits
Pure Spirits Oyster House and Grill located in the Historic Distillery District offers both indoor dining as well as patio dining where visitors can take in the beautiful Victorian Industrial Architecture. We are well known as the best fresh seafood restaurant in Toronto. Pure Spirits is proud to serve a selection of oysters from both the East and West coasts of Canada as well as unique offerings from abroad. Casual dining attire and a love of great food is required. Our friendly staff are trained to guide you through our extensive selction of local beers and wine that match perfectly with our menu. Whether on a schedule to visit the spa, the theatre or the local art galleries we are geared to get you out on time or offer a relaxing extended stay on the patio to enjoy the sites. Pure Spirits is a must visit spot in the City of Toronto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Pure Spirits - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
Pure Spirits reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (104)neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (63)special occasion (56)good for groups (51)great for lunch (43)romantic (41)hot spot (31)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (18)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (14)Show More
- DisappointedfoodfanDined on 8/23/2014This was a special birthday celebration. We treated our friends who were too polite to say their food was not great. We enjoyed 2 dozen oysters and a good bottle of wine. The two men had the linguine and were hard pressed to find any seafood in either dish, except mussels. Our other guest had the paella. For $35 we hoped for better than "okay". I had the lobster pasta which was good. For $400, we left feeling burned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Best night out in a long time! Server Arthur was perfect. Food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent, although portions were not big, nor were they consistent. Two of us had the same meal and one was obviously a smaller portion than the other. Service was extremely slow. We waited for over an hour for our main courses. I asked our server about a certain drink, and he said he would check with the bartender. 25 mins later asked him again before I got an answer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014One of our favorite summer time restaurants. This time food was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An expensive mistakelovgdfood5Dined on 8/18/2014Lesson learned...never order pasta dishes in an expensive seafood restaurant. Tiny 2 pieces of lobster with thick parapadella noodles and oily sauce plus undistinguished stuffed squash pasta were a huge disappointment. We will not return.
- Disappointingmaxwell1840Dined on 8/14/2014Pre-theatre dininig so convenient but not remarkable. Our appetizer's were bland. The main course of salmon was over-powered by the balsamic concoction that it was served in. We've been going to Soulpepper for several years and Pure Spirits has always been a convenient place to dine but we feel the quality of the food has declined over the past year or so. We allowed an hour and a half for dinner as we always do before the theatre but the server told us we did not have time for apps and a main. We advised it was always fine but he said 'can't guarantee.' Ridiculous. Not sure if we will return.
- Pretty ordinaryMistrrVIPDined on 8/14/2014My tuna was not spectacular and our server seemed to be going through the motions -- all in all a bit disappointing
- Excellent eveningRetireenouveauDined on 8/13/2014Always the best experience. Family enjoys an annual outing on visit to Canada. Food is great, staff friendly and create a great time.Special Features:
- Our Anniversary Dinner just Awesome19THOLEVIPDined on 8/10/2014From the warm greeting by the receptionist; who seated us promptly at our Table; to the Waiter who was super polite and very attentive. Great food, great Wine and superb service. BRAVO !Special Features:
- 3rd time not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014Booked again to celebrate our sons birthday. Was pretty empty but the service was mediocre. About 10 staff waiting around but still out water remained empty/ we had to ask a different server for out bill as we'd be waiting a while. On the plus side food was excellent. We left a tip that obviously was not appreciated as we could see some of the servers shaking their heads as we walked out!
- Service was lackingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014We have been to Pure Spirits many times, it is one of our favorite places in the Distillery district, however on this occasion the visit was marred by bad service. The food was excellent, except one guest didn't think their steak was "great" everything else was delicious. Our waiter was inattentive, and slow. We waited almost half an hour for him to take our order. We had to ask for bread, and as we had used our bread plates for the oyster shells, he took our bread plates away, then brought the bread basket, we had nowhere to put our bread. He was slow in asking us if we wanted more water or drinks. If this had been our first visit we would probably not go back. As it was we felt bad for our invited guests as this was their first visit.Special Features:
- Very nice dinnerCEDGARDined on 8/9/2014We go to Pure Spirits 2-3 times per year.... Never have we been disappointed and this was no exception. Great weather so we were on the patio...Food as always was great.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!foodieDined on 8/1/2014I have been to Pure Spirits many, many times and it always a pleasure! I'm in the food industry and frequently dine with chefs and we all just love this restaurant. The food is consistently outstanding and the service is by far some of the highest level service in Toronto! It's truly a neighbourhood gem. It's my fav Toronto restaurant. Bravo to the management team of Pure Spirits!Special Features:
- Better seafood elsewhere; anywhereSeafoodLoverDined on 7/26/2014The mussels were practically raw and the flavor nonexistent. The sauce on a different platter was just salt and water; quite bland. I was expecting more especially for a place with a name like oyster bar. The oysters were good but that's just nature for you and where they come from. You'd have to be pretty bad to mess up a natural flavor.
- Great lunch place for the summerOverseasguestsDined on 7/25/2014Very nice fish cakes!!! Amazing Vietnamese curry sauce!! The lobster mushroom pappardelle was nice but lacking some 'complexity', a bit flat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and VERY slow servicedrdoctorDined on 7/24/2014I have dined here frequently, usually every 2 months or so. They are very capable of handling special diets, and as a celiac I appreciated this. Wine selection is very good. Outdoor patios are lovely - perfect for a summer evening. My Nicoise salad took an hour and a half to receive! My friend's lobster pasta was VERY light on lobster. Waiter rarely checked on us. We had to ask for bread, side plates, and fill our own wine glasses. We mentioned the terribly long wait for two relatively straightforward dishes and the waiter claimed a large group caused the delay. Surely they would have known they had a large group that night and made the appropriate staff available... Good for a drink on a patio and some apps. Have dinner @ TrappoSpecial Features:
- perfect!saudia558VIPDined on 7/23/2014The good was great. The service was great. Everything you're looking for in a great restaurant. the lobster pasta is absolutely delicious! I'm hungry again just thinking about it!Special Features:
- a fabulous eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We enjoyed the whole experience, from the knowledgeable and friendly service to the delicious appetizers and now noteworthy entrees! Our eating restrictions were well-dealt with. We'd definitely come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was a "miss."vadiner14VIPDined on 7/21/2014The Distillery District is lovely. Pure Spirits was not. The lobster came out a bit under cooked. They also charge $2.50 for refills on sodas without telling you. A bit dishonest since my son's glass was not completely empty when the waiter took it to refill it.Special Features:
- AngelinaluvfoodDined on 7/19/2014Everything was fantastic Arthur our server was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service12HungryMenDined on 7/18/2014We had a 6:30 pm dinner reservation at Pure Spirits and seats for an 8 pm play. At 7:15 pm we informed our server about the show and our main course arrived at 7:45 pm. Our dessert was served in a take-away box at 7:55 pm. The food was fine but we wish we had more time to savour it.Special Features:
- summerlicioussarahirish2001Dined on 7/17/2014Excellent summerlicious lunch with colleagues :) Mussels & Fish and chips were yummy
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Food good. Our server was not good at all not friendly didnt take the time to address us seem to always be in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try it.PoochDined on 7/12/2014Friendly service, great location. A little expensive but considering you are dinning in the Distillery...it's to be expected. Overall, it was a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014The food was up to the high standards we have come to expect from this restaurant..This was a pleasant surprise as some othe winterlicious restaurants have provided substandard fare.Special Features:
- Great!Had a wonderful summerliciousC21C21Dined on 7/11/2014Great! We had a wonderful summerlicious. Would strongly recommend the lobster pappardelle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not good for summerliciouswine2dineDined on 7/11/2014Bad, bad food. Starters was dried up and over peppered. Mains was tasteless. Dessert should have been warm and was not. Will not go back. Service tho was excellent and nice patio.Special Features:
- Overpriced. Food quality OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014A $140 dinner for two was overpriced for the food we ate. A $12 blueberry mojito was robbery. Rib eye for $38 was cooked perfectly, but this was not a $38 piece of meat to begin with so no chef was going to save this meal! Great location, but so is every other restaurant in the Distillery District. The service was very good and the restaurant very clean, but once again so is every other restaurant we visited in this district.
- JaB1Dined on 7/11/2014tasty, nice service, a beautiful spot. When we sent back an inedible plate the waiter was most gracious in replacing it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/10/2014Have been to Pure Spirits a number of times previously and always had a good experience. However - this time we had a disinterested server and mediocre food. Not sure if it was the Summerlicious factor or not! Disappointing!
- Ambiance with some good food too!foodEeeDined on 7/6/2014This place is great to sit on their patio, in the middle of the Distillery, and just people watch. Their food is great, I wouldn't say super creative, but it is very tasty. We went for summerlicious, so of course the price was reasonable. However, their regular menu seems like average pricing (not like the ridiculous Tappo next door)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NotgoodDined on 7/5/2014We waited 90min for our food then decided to leave - we would not recommend this place
- Very good mealBmanVIPDined on 7/5/2014A very solid choice in the distillery district. Service was top notch and very professional. Timing was perfect as we were seeing two shows at Soulpepper and we got out in time for the second with no problems at all. Will definitely go back.
- Great foodDinersrusDined on 7/4/2014We went during Bacardi festival. The line was massive but we has reservations so that don't matter in terms of getting in. Our food was really good! We defiantly loved it. The service was slow but I think we just had a waiter that was having an off day....we're all entitled to that. He tried his best but he took too long to see us (waited 25 min for a slice of cake and 20 min for him to greet us)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great girls night out venueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2014had a super time, albeit with 8 women (some being really quite oTT high maintenance) the staff remained stoic and lovely and very efficient. Thank you very much! Your Albarino on your menu was quite the hit - several of us have sourced it out at LCBO - tell your wine rep!Special Features:
- maxwell1840Dined on 7/3/2014Food is good, service better. A good spot for pre-theatre diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Choice for Anniversary DinnerjyycDined on 7/3/2014Limited selection of oysters (the recommended special was not very good). We waited over an hour to get our main dishes. The mussels in my linguine had a funky taste and my husband's paella had a soury kick to it. The kids' meals however were brought out promptly and they enjoyed it. The server was really kind and apologetic about the wait. Didn't want to send the food back and wait another hour. Disappointed with the quality. Maybe our last visit there - too bad - I really liked this place in the past.Special Features:
- Would like to like it morePyperVIPDined on 7/3/2014Appears to be a kitchen problem here. Good wait staff but unusually long times for food delivery. Pre-theatre rush is a problem they haven't solved. Other places have. Food isn't good enough to offset the consistent service shortfall-- have been here at least 10 times. Finally decided to record my disappointment.
- Not overwhelmedgtaboundDined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere was not unwelcoming but I didn't feel that it was welcoming either. Food took too long, esp for fish and chips and overcooked, so my lunch was hurried. The waiter was pleasant enough. My experience wasn't good enough to recommend to others but neither so bad that I would steer people away. May be it was an off day for everyone involved.
- Amazing for seafood loversOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/2/2014If you want fish or seafood this is the place to go - everything was delicious from apps to mains. Great oyster selection. Beat dish we had was the pappardelle with lobster and mushrooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.