17 Tank House Lane
Toronto, ON M5A 3C4Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://purespirits.ca/
- Phone: (416) 361-5859
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily - 11:30am - 3:00pm Dinner: Daily - 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Canadian
- Executive Chef: Andre Walker
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We cater to any size event from 20-700 and specialize in weddings. Menu selections include hors d'oeuvres, canapes, mini appetizers, three course - five course prix fixe menus to fit any budget.
- Private Party Facilities: There are fantastic party spaces in our sister restaurants across rom Pure Spirits Oyster House and Grill. They are Archeo Restaurant, The Boiler House Restaurant and the Fermenting Cellar event space.
- Private Party Contact: Kristy Dennison 4162032363
- Entertainment: At the slightest sight of summer, we open the doors to our patio where you can sit and take in the beautiful Victorian Industrial architecture that the site is famous for.
Grab a seat at the Oyster Bar where you can mingle with a Chef shucking your oysters to order and teaching you about the amazing flavours and how to best match it to our selelction of local beers.
Visit during the Christmas Market (Nov 30-Dec 16) and sit in front of log burning fire pits while carolers sing in the distance.
- Special Events: Nuit Blanche Sept 29th - all night exhibition of art
Christmas Market - Nov 30th - Dec 16th - celebrate a German style holiday market with live music, fun foods, mulled wine and a 40' Christmas tree and thousand of lights to get you into the spirit of giving
A word from Pure Spirits
Pure Spirits Oyster House and Grill located in the Historic Distillery District offers both indoor dining as well as patio dining where visitors can take in the beautiful Victorian Industrial Architecture. We are well known as the best fresh seafood restaurant in Toronto. Pure Spirits is proud to serve a selection of oysters from both the East and West coasts of Canada as well as unique offerings from abroad. Casual dining attire and a love of great food is required. Our friendly staff are trained to guide you through our extensive selction of local beers and wine that match perfectly with our menu. Whether on a schedule to visit the spa, the theatre or the local art galleries we are geared to get you out on time or offer a relaxing extended stay on the patio to enjoy the sites. Pure Spirits is a must visit spot in the City of Toronto.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Pure Spirits - Best Restaurants in Distillery District ›
Pure Spirits reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)great for outdoor dining (58)neighborhood gem (58)special occasion (49)good for groups (42)romantic (40)hot spot (30)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (20)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (8)great for brunch (8)Show More
- great timrgeoffrey1969Dined on 11/22/2014We shared the steak for two fish. Lovely presentation, excellent food. Steak was perfection and the winter veg was a lovely mix. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fine!JaneDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant was the only one in the Distillery district that had reservations open for Saturday night, which made me a bit nervous. The minute we walked in the door I realized my fears were unfounded. The ambiance was very Distillery district, it was quiet enough for normal conversation, and the menu met everyone's tastes. Our waiter was excellent - he served the wrong dish to my husband but they rushed the replacement, and very generously compensated us for the trouble. I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure SpiritsJerielDined on 11/15/2014Food was delicious as always. Our server was busy most of the time. She forgot to bring our order of oysters. It wasn't really her fault since she was super busy with tables. Aside from that, my wife and I had a great night celebrating her birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerminatorsDined on 11/14/2014Ben was our server. He was very attentive and knowledgeable. he was very adept about wine pairings for food and we enjoyed hearing about his culinary experience in France. Overall though, I would say it was an excellent team approach. We were greeted warmly and our request for a booth was honoured. Servers smiled and worked well together. The bartender was happy and well able to suggest a bourbon as it was bourbon week in Toronto and I wanted to try one (Woodford Reserve was recommended and enjoyed). We've tried most of the other restaurants in The Distillery District and Pure Spirits is our favourite. And it's just down the lane way from your favourite theatre group 'Soulpepper Theatre'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014A great place to dine but also to bring guests and friends. Can always guarantee the quality of food and service. Always feeling happy by the end!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spot for business lunches!PhilippeKVIPDined on 11/4/2014Pure Spirits delivered on all fronts. Great food, good service and an atmosphere that allowed me to have a productive business lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/1/2014We went here for an anniversary dinner. The food, ambiance, and service was all impressive. The evening there was fun and enjoyable. We would recommend this place to anyone and will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Best seafood I've ever had. Also they were really accommodating to my friends birthday and gave us a free dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/30/2014I thought the food was good but I did have to send it back to the kitchen because is was not hot. One of my guests said the same thing but she was too hungry to send hers back so we did not get to enjoy our meals together. From the time I sent my meal back to when it returned was approximately twenty minutes. The service was friendly but slow and I am unsure why since the restaurant was not packed. I also thought the restaurant was a bit dark and could have used a bit more light. I will give the restaurant another try because when I finally got my meal back it was good but please take note of some of the comments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingtodinerDined on 10/30/2014We were looking forward to a nice dinner with out of town friends in Toronto's funky Distillery District. The architectural ambiance did not disappoint but the food was a total letdown. Our soups (gumbo) arrived lukewarm and the salmon had to be sent back as they were overdone to the point of disbelief. When we pointed this out to the server, he tried to persuade us to eat the blackened mess (rather than dealing with it efficiently). One of our friends ordered oysters and said they were excellent. Overall a disappointing evening.Special Features:
- Good ExperiencesammyDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant was nice, good ambiance, the food was good, and the service was great. The oysters were good, the waitress knew the differences between them, and her recommendations were good. The sauces for the oysters were limited, but very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure SpiritsmnbnycVIPDined on 10/25/2014This is a very pleasant dining experience housed in the old distillery buildings in east Toronto, the décor and ambience are very well accomplished and the tables are well spaced in general. Somehow the noise level managed to be manageable which is an unusual pleasure in a restaurant these days. Service is relaxed but attentive and very good. The seafood is excellent, well prepared and served. Prices are very reasonable and the wine list of reasonable length and is affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicescotybDined on 10/18/2014The service was great, they moved a 4 seat booth down to 2 people without us asking or anything so that there was lots of room. Was very appreciated. The servers were patient and laughed with us. Food was great and so were the drinks. I'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Food was great for seafood lovers. Excellent service and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Great spot in the DistilleryAdamDined on 10/18/2014Great oysters. Great sea bass, tuna or salmon. Very good wine list. Beautiful spot in the distillery district. Very good service.Special Features:
- Fish Lover's FantasyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014A great restaurant. First, lovely welcome and on time reservation availability. We ordered the Seafood Platter for Two and it was outstanding. Excellent waiter with a balanced sense of engagements, responsibility and fun. We will definitely return to Pure Spirits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Distillery dining failTorontolocalDined on 10/13/2014We came here because it was the only place open on Thanksgiving Monday that mostly served fish. While I really really appreciated all the Ocean Wise fish they served (good job!) the food overall was mediocre... particularly given the price. I understand they charge that much because it is a tourist trap, but as a Torontonian, if you want me to come back you need to improve the quality of the food for those prices, or decrease your prices by 25%. The tartar was boring, the paella was WAY TOO salty and the Kingfish, while the most interesting, just didn't work as a whole dish (since it is served in the Caribbean often, why not serve it in that manner?) Also the server was inattentive and slow.
- ktmowDined on 10/12/2014Food was not bad, but I found the steaks and sides a bit over-seasoned and salty. Texture of the steak was on the soft/mushy side. Oyster was fresh. The ambiance and dim lighting made me feel sleepy. Given the quality, the food was overpriced.Special Features:
- Distillery District Dining GemBrianDined on 10/5/2014As foodies, this was a first time event at Pure Spirit. A really neat looking resto, charming "warehouse/loft" atmosphere, original floor and super long drinks/Oyster Bar. The welcoming hostess was efficient, the wait staff super friendly the service a little slow. We opted for the open menu rather than the Fixed Price four course at $45 p.h. We shared an appetizer of sweet pot fries which we specifically requested "not to be over crisped" and ten minutes later, they arrived over crisped. They tried again, ok. The halibut and veg were excellent, no issues. A pricey meal for two approximately $130 tax in. We will go back in the summer months.Special Features:
- Sunday dinner after KuriosGoodnotGreatDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time at the restaurant. We have been at the distillery and enjoy trying different restaurants. We were a little disappointed when they did not let us order the fish N chip off the lunch menu. We were at the restaurant at 4:30. The food was very salty. I ordered the soup special to find our it was more of a stew then a soup. We never said anything because we do not believe in complaining about food at the restaurant. ( Never know what they would do to it in the kitchen). Please know that if you would have not sent me this request I would not write a review.Special Features:
- Great oysters!VickyDined on 10/4/2014Was at the bar for some beer and appetizers. The weat coast royal miyagi oysters was so good as well as mussels in white sauce. However the calamares tasted more like tempura. Nice ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for date nightMooseDined on 10/4/2014Ambience was great !. Lots of Cozy Booths! Best of all the food was great !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Cirque DinnerLeaCDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I had our Pre show dinner here. The location was great. Easy to find parking. We sat outside in their huge patio. Service was slow but very friendly. Oysters were delish as was the fix pris menu. The paella was ok...nothing special. Hubby's steak was perfect. We will def come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs some workLlm19Dined on 9/25/2014Awesome food but very slow service. 45 minute wait for oysters and appetizers!! Great ambiance thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not outstanding.LaskerfanDined on 9/25/2014Comfortable and pleasant decor. Friendly, cheerful service, though they made a couple of small mistakes. Outstanding gumbo. Vegetables very good. Dessert good, not outstanding. Most important aspect was pickerel we both had. Could have been better. Like most chefs, s/he overcooked it. Delicate white fish like pickerel needs a very light hand. Think about sushi, which is mostly raw fish. Cooked fish should be just barely cooked. Given that weakness with the fish, Pure Spirits is relatively expensive for what it offers.
- Another lovely eveningMarthaDined on 9/19/2014This is our second time Pure Spirits. We love it. The food is wonderful, tasty, imaginative but not too "out there" Fish is fresh and the wine list varied and not too pricey. Great friendly ambiance with exceptional service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Pricy but food was excellent. Service was very good. Worth dollar for dollar.Special Features:
- SkipOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/16/2014Distillery District is beautiful but plan to have dinner somewhere else. Every restaurant in the Distillery is poor quality and overpriced, especially Pure Spirits. We were seated in the worst spot in the restaurant even though it was empty. The service was slow and our food arrived at different times, so each of our guests started eating their appetizer/main courses at different times. The waiter was inattentive despite the fact that there were few other customers in the restaurant. The quality of the seafood was similar to what you would find at a Milestones/Jack Astors type of restaurant, and was almost inedible. It really was not an enjoyable experience.
- Amazing ExperienceLoveTODined on 9/13/2014I went there Saturday night for dinner. I emailed ahead for an electrical outlet needed for my portable oxygen machine so I wouldn't need batteries. The staff was so welcoming and accommodating that I was quite touch by it. Everything was ready and waiting for me, including an extension cord, if needed. The food was superb and Patrick our waiter couldn't have been kinder. It was a perfect experience and I will be back.Special Features:
- Great Dinner OptionRawrawthelittlelionDined on 9/6/2014Quick service & amazing food. Had the 30 day aged Rib Eye steak reco by the waiter, was the best steak i've had!Special Features:
- michaelVIPDined on 8/30/2014I have been here several times and the food and service is always excellent, this time even better. Fish dishes exceptional and modified per my diet really well. Service also great. We will be back.Special Features:
- Just okayDiner53Dined on 8/30/2014We had reservations for a pre-show dinner and although the restaurant was virtually empty inside (many diners opted for the patio), we were seated by the kitchen and a noisy thoroughfare to the patio. Really? After voicing our concern, we were moved to a more suitable table. Not a good beginning! One member of our party of 4 was interested in ordering raw oysters and our waiter was very good at describing that evening's selection. The oysters were excellent, but the rest of the meal was nothing special. The fish cakes were tasty enough, but they were more balls than cakes, the rib eye was overly salty and the papparadelle was a little light on the lobster. Thankfully, service was prompt and we had plenty of time to attend our show.Special Features:
- great oysters worst wine listlaurenbutterflyDined on 8/29/2014We had great service and amazing oysters. The mussels and clams were fresh and delicious. The paella was disappointing. Overcooked and bland. Much better the first time we had dinner there. The wine list is truly awful. The wines are mostly generic and the only decent wines on the list are never in stock. What a shame.Special Features:
- ServiceMikeDined on 8/28/2014We decided a night out, as my wife received a raise at work. Reservation was easy to do online. Upon arrival, the environment was rustic and charming.The hostess outside was great but the one inside seemed distracted and not as friendly. We were seated by the window overlooking the patio, which was awesome.We were right next to the hostess' desk and can overhear their conversation.It was clear that the second hostess was distracted as she wanted to leave work early as she "has work at 6 am the next day" The food is pretty good had the fish cakes ribeye steak and linguini.We waited 1 hour for our entrees, as they had overcooked it.So I got a second beer on the house. We would come back to try sitting out in the patio during the day.Special Features:
- Distillery - a neighbourhood gemGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/27/2014Summer is a great time to spend at the Distillery. Pure Spirits has a more casual, friendly environment, food quality is consistent. Service is fine but can be a bit more polished. The only negative comment I have is that I wish they carry more good quality Niagara and Prince Edward County wines on the menu. It is important to promote our own wine producers as they have come a long way and made giant steps in producing internationally award-winning wines.Special Features:
- DisappointedfoodfanDined on 8/23/2014This was a special birthday celebration. We treated our friends who were too polite to say their food was not great. We enjoyed 2 dozen oysters and a good bottle of wine. The two men had the linguine and were hard pressed to find any seafood in either dish, except mussels. Our other guest had the paella. For $35 we hoped for better than "okay". I had the lobster pasta which was good. For $400, we left feeling burned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Best night out in a long time! Server Arthur was perfect. Food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- norepeatDined on 8/22/2014The food was excellent, although portions were not big, nor were they consistent. Two of us had the same meal and one was obviously a smaller portion than the other. Service was extremely slow. We waited for over an hour for our main courses. I asked our server about a certain drink, and he said he would check with the bartender. 25 mins later asked him again before I got an answer.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014One of our favorite summer time restaurants. This time food was too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An expensive mistakelovgdfood5Dined on 8/18/2014Lesson learned...never order pasta dishes in an expensive seafood restaurant. Tiny 2 pieces of lobster with thick parapadella noodles and oily sauce plus undistinguished stuffed squash pasta were a huge disappointment. We will not return.