Pure Food and Wine
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $50 and over
Pure Food and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
- Phone: 2124771010x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served daily from 12-4pm, with additional weekend brunch menu options on Saturdays and Sundays. Dinner served nightly from 5:30 - 11:00pm. For groups of five or more guests, please call to reserve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Nikki King-Bennett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please email email@example.com for off-site catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Switzer 2124771010x
- Special Events: We have an onsite private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email email@example.com to book your special event!
A word from Pure Food and Wine
Pure Food and Wine serves upscale raw vegan cuisine - food in its natural and purest state. In order to preserve the food's natural enzymes, vitamins and minerals, nothing is heated above 118 degrees. Only the freshest seasonal, organic ingredients are used to produce handcrafted flavors that rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit. An extensive collection of organic and biodynamic wines and sakes are available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pure Food and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
219 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (171)fit for foodies (156)romantic (117)special occasion (103)neighborhood gem (84)notable wine list (58)great for lunch (51)good for groups (43)great for brunch (42)hot spot (42)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (15)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Date Night GemaeaugenbDined on 9/17/2014Pure Food and Wine has a beautiful backyard, great food, and friendly staff. I cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- one of my fave NYC restaurantsHEALTHCOACHDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is truly remarkable. Their menu is innovative and the food is delicious. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They have a beautiful outdoor space during the warmer months. Some of my favorite menu items include the mint sundae (reminds me of girl scout thin mints), kale casear sushi roll, jungle peanut cheesecake, and the tamales with mole sauce. It really is shocking this is a raw food place. SO good, do not miss out.Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting was perfect!EmmaLea20Dined on 9/13/2014We went to Pure Food and Wine to celebrate a birthday. Since both of us had never been there before we decided to go with the 5 course chef tasting menu and what a great decision that was! Not only did we get to really experience the range of dishes the restaurant provides but it made it feel that much more special to have someone come out and describe each dish to us. Even though we went with this for our first time we might do this option every time we go from now on. Our favorite dish hands down was the Peach Gazpacho by the way.Special Features:
- PF&W is the "One"CompassionateVeganDined on 9/10/2014We are always on the "Seek and Destroy" mission for some awesome raw vegan goodies, and nothing tops this place. The amazing raw superfood "Fuel" this place offers has me always begging for a Reload. Every time my fiancé and I need a "Battery" recharge, we enjoy a couple hours in the back garden area. I can't lie... The food is so good, I can barely hear the words my fiancé is speaking. I'm just keep wondering "For Whom The Bell Tolls"?... Is that my next course?! And when the plate arrives, I always have to remind myself to share "...and Justice for all", otherwise no one would get a taste of my entree. Nothing better than the satisfied feeling you get after enjoying a meal at PF&W... I just "Fade to Black" after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvthisplaceDined on 9/9/2014Very good food and service although not for everyone. Love this place but cannot go more often because just too expensive. Food is beautifully prepared and served. Service is excellent provided you get there when place is not full. Desserts are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?MothersNDaughtersDined on 9/9/2014We shared three lunches and found the raw food absolutely amazing!! The spicy sesame salad, the zucchini and greenhouse tomato lasagna and the tortilla wraps ~ between the 'mummm' and 'scrummy' and 'it tastes SO clean and delicious' we all agreed to come back. The spicy sesame was such a hit that the two daughters each ordered it 'to go'. Desert was the chocolate ganache tart and the classic sundae. OMG. We would return just for the sundae. I'm not sure which cookbook ~ Raw Food Real World or Living Raw Food ~ the other mother bought but I am hoping for an invitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomally creativeChowowaDined on 9/4/2014This restaurant redefines raw and vegan as an elegant, healthy, artistic way to dine. Plus it is comfortable and atmospheric. It wass one of the best meals i have ever had based solely on vegetables. A must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousMomOfAStrictVeganDined on 9/4/2014Unique menu, Brazilian nut croquettes a great choice. The tiramisu is to die for! Upscale vegan fare, good service and garden dining made lunch a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantSarah22Dined on 9/3/2014Pure is my first stop when I travel to NYC. Gourmet raw food in a romantic atmosphere. LOVE LOVE LOVE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!jonathansalomonsDined on 9/1/2014If you like raw food, or want to try it, this is the place to go. The pear and crape salad is delicate and light, the mix of the two come together so nicely. I had the lasagna, which is a dish they are known for, made with zucchini in place of the pasta, it is simply delicious. Also, a great wine list with some organic wines as well.Special Features:
- I can't believe its Vegan!Yanni10VaDined on 8/31/2014This is my first experience with an entirely vegan menu and I was pleasantly surprised by the explosion of flavors. I could give up meat and never miss it with the variety offered at Pure Food and Wine. Every dish we had was unique, yet reminiscent of some non-vegan dish. The Kale Caesar Rolls looked and tasted like sushi tuna rolls, but better. The cornbread pudding was very satisfying, and my entree of Spinach and Picholine Olive Mezzaluna with King Oyster Mushrooms was quite tasty. The Blackberry Cobler satisfied my sugar cravings without leaving me too full. The restaurant has a funky vibe, but felt a little cramped and noisy as the rain kept us inside.Special Features:
- Great food but service EhFoodieinFLDined on 8/31/2014Didn't find the staff super helpful. We had to flag them over to our table more than once and it wasn't a busy time. The food was good and it was fun to try vegan food. Turns out it's very good!Special Features:
- Service needs improvementGFgirl99Dined on 8/29/2014Food was interesting and well presented although portion sizes were very inconsistent. Some dishes were tiny while others average in size. Patio was beautiful. Server made us feel very uncomfortable the entire meal as if waiting on us was a big, bothersome favor. One of the strangest dining experiences because of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's The Meat?HappyDiner50Dined on 8/28/2014Don't be misled by some of the customer comments - or the lukewarm review written in the New York Times. Pure Food and Wine is a deeply satisfying dining experience. The dishes are creative and tasty and the presentation is exquisite. I am a meat lover - so coming here was a tough sell...but I am so glad that I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful nightgstarDined on 8/25/2014It was a perfect night, so the outdoor garden ambiance made it more special. The food was great and the staff was outstanding. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tasty!TheCsDined on 8/22/2014I have been dying to visit this restaurant since I first got the cookbook Living Raw Food last year. I finally made it to NYC and made this my first lunch stop. I had the S&M salad, which was delicious, however I feel like it didn't really showcase what this restaurant can do, and it was mainly a giant pile of greens. The accompanying rosemary crackers were delicious; however, I should have ordered an entrée. My companion had the falafel salad (same thing - tons of greens). The falafel was delicious, the tabouli was lovely. I will definitely come back, but I will order something a bit more special...and try a juice, too!Special Features:
- Very creativeMichVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved this place. It was highly recommended by a friend and I agree that it is one of the best vegan restaurants in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatarinaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Some of the most creative, delicious cuisine in the city…here's a place where it's (nearly) impossible to replicate the food. Nice to see art applied to vegan/raw cuisine. Spectacular.Special Features:
- pure food and wineDeliciousDined on 8/20/2014a great restaurant to catch up with a friend, beautiful garden in the back to sit out and relax and enjoy very good food. The service was attentive and the menu creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rmclarkVIPDined on 8/19/2014A Very long wait for food for our party of two. Management brought us a complimentary glass of wine and an amuse bouche to apologize for the delay in the kitchen. Attentive and polite staff, very nice environment in the rear garden. Delicious entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best!!!! i love Pure FoodMrsPDined on 8/17/2014Simple the best Raw, vegan, modern, chic and the best food of it's kind. There's no thing else un NYC like Pure Food And Wine. In my 15 days vacation i was there 4 times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure GoodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food for the table (Taco Salad, "Orreo" Cookie ice cream, Mallomar). The service was a little slow (especially since my dining guests and I were the only ones dining inside the restaurant at 12pm), but still friendly overall. Overall a great experience, as usual.Special Features:
- Great food, lovely ambience.MarionmDined on 8/15/2014I had the fixed price menu for $30 the salad was huge and so delicious, I had the lasagne as I had heard so much about it. I was disappointed I found it too intense with so much paste however I know it is all down to personal taste, the food served to other diners around me looked great. I had the tiramisu for desert which was really good. I loved the place and would definately go back, however I thought thought the staff could have been more attentive... Ie how is your meal. I ate less than a quarter of my lasagne but nobody asked me if everything was ok with it. I had a mojito which was good and some lavender tea which was also good . Over all a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Most uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Most unique rest in NYC, with only Dirt Candy as a fellow leader. They keep breaking new ground -- this past visit: cauliflower polenta that was great and happens to be raw, vegan. You've never been so sated and energized after a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoorsveggienorbVIPDined on 8/13/2014Food is delicious, and the staff are absolutely outstanding, BUT, while the garden seating is real nice, noise inside is loud. Don't miss Pure Food and Wine, but, weather permitting, make sure to book a garden table.Special Features:
- A gemMarieAMDined on 8/13/2014The outdoor garden patio area was enchanting ! Our server was attentive and very helpful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw food?atcmschroedDined on 8/12/2014I went into this experience with some hesitancy - I'm a fairly traditional foodie, loving my well grilled meat. This was a lovely and artistic expression of using raw food to amazing affect. Flavor combination were superb. Wines eclectic and interesting. Our waiter was superb, enthusiastic, great advice, respectful. Hip, dark ambiance in Gramercy Park. One of the best vegetarian options in all of New York City.Special Features:
- Salad and sundaeKathleenDined on 8/12/2014I went here for my birthday lunch. We ate outside in the outdoor garden which was so very special and beautiful. Honestly the food could have been terrible and I would have been happy. Was I blown away by the food? No but the ice cream was divine and you will not find a better salad anywhere. Next time, I would get a salad and a sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in agesJerseyGurlinthecityDined on 8/11/2014The food was absolutely spectacular! Presentation was beautiful for every course. Ingredients were not only fresh but the combination of flavors in all of the dishes was really special. I highly recommend the "nut cheeses" as an appetizer and the tamales with fresh mole inside (just the right hint of chocolatey sweetness) and cashew sour cream! We had the orange blossom cake with strawberry semifredo but the ice cream sundae at the next table looked amazing too! Can't wait to go back again! (And I am not even a vegetarian!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchKateDined on 8/7/2014Relaxing atmosphere, great service, with a delicious vegan menu. The desserts are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Wonderfulfoodie2301Dined on 8/5/2014Amazing Restaurant that stands out as a unique experience in a city full of wonderful places. You feel good eating hear in more ways than one. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, weird smellBrooksVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food was unbelievably delicious. I am definitely going back. But, the service was super slow and the weird smell indoors took some time to get used to.Special Features:
- Lovely FoodCapezionkDined on 8/2/2014Great dinner experience. Wanted to visit a raw food restaurant and my (non-vegan, non-vegetarian) husband totally enjoyed himself and was impressed with the food. He was worried about leaving "hungry" and in fact he couldn't finish all of his food because of how full he felt. I ordered the tamales and he had the lasagna, we also ordered the chips and guac as well as the crepe to start. Each dish was unique and like eating art! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing!DelishveggiesDined on 7/30/2014Portion sizes were perfect. The dishes were vegan and so very delicious. I wish I could make such wonderful food like this at home. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new favorite spotsouthernfoodieDined on 7/27/2014INCREDIBLE, "feel-good" good. Friendliest staff of all NYC restaurants I have been to.... and all seemed genuinely happy. Wonderful food, romantic atmosphere, perfect spot to lounge or take a date.Special Features:
- Best Raw food!JSTOKERDined on 7/27/2014I am from a big foodie town Chicago and Pure Food and Wine was by far some of the best Raw food i have ever eaten! The staff was super friendly and amazing. I was already a fan of Pure Food before coming to the actual restaurant. I have all of Sarma Melngailis's cookbooks and love her life story. She has done amazing things with raw food and it would even change the minds of meat and potato eaters.. Thanks again for preparing such wonderful food with much passion and love. Raw food will change the world one day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SuperbbellanycDined on 7/22/2014As more raw food restaurants pop up around NYC, I'm thrilled to have increasing options for dining out. But none of these wonderful new places even comes close to Pure Food & Wine. It is the most expensive of the raw restaurants, but you get what you pay for. And Pure's beautifully presented, throroughly gourmet and incredibly filling food is worth every penny. I have taken countless burly male friends to Pure and blown when they learn that raw does not mean rabbit food. Even my mind is blown with the chefs do with food here! My most recent visit included the date bread appetizer and the tamales. Yum!! Reservations are sometimes hard to come by last minute. I recommend sitting outside in their charming courtyard any chance you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for Raw Vegan FoodDoctoRVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great place for Raw Vegan Food. Notable Organic Wine List.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!PeggyDined on 7/19/2014We love Pure Food and Wine! We have two favorite restaurants in NY, and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unfreakingbelievable awesomebariVIPDined on 7/19/2014fabulous raw food. large portions. excellent drinks. romantic outdoor seating. perfect dinner. loved it! raw lasagna and cheese plate were awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.