Pure Food and Wine
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $50 and over
Pure Food and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
- Phone: (212) 477-1010
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served daily from 12-4pm, with additional weekend brunch menu options on Saturdays and Sundays. Dinner served nightly from 5:30 - 11:00pm. For groups of five or more guests, please call to reserve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Anthony Buison
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for off-site catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email inquiries to email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Erica Graff 2124771010x
- Special Events: We have an onsite private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your special event!
A word from Pure Food and Wine
Pure Food and Wine serves upscale raw vegan cuisine - food in its natural and purest state. In order to preserve the food's natural enzymes, vitamins and minerals, nothing is heated above 118 degrees. Only the freshest seasonal, organic ingredients are used to produce handcrafted flavors that rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit. An extensive collection of organic and biodynamic wines and sakes are available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pure Food and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
223 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (161)great for outdoor dining (150)romantic (110)neighborhood gem (107)special occasion (98)notable wine list (64)great for lunch (57)good for groups (48)great for brunch (42)hot spot (36)late-night find (15)scenic view (8)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- They make "healthy" taste amazing!!lmnopVIPDined on 11/20/2014Loved it. Food was delicious with good sized portions. We had the falafel salad and pesto zucchini lasagna - delicioussssss!!! Best falafel I've ever had for sure. I can't wait to go back and try more!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it wasAwildeDined on 11/17/2014I'm sorry to be writing a bad review for a restaurant I LOVED on my first visit. The second was terrible - noise was VERY loud. Drinks were weak. We ordered a 5 course tasting menu which ended up consisting of different plates for every person at the table -LOTS of passing around of plates which left everyone feeling unsatisfied. Much better would have been to do as other restaurants do and serve the same dishes to each person at the table. To boot, a lot of these dishes required spoons, and no waiter ever offered us one, save for the soup course. I kept having to get up and go ask the bar for a spoon.....
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/16/2014Food is excellent (the best) if you are into vegan/ raw.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE FOOD AND SERIVE WAS AMAZING!!!!HOPPYDined on 11/15/2014EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL EXCEPT IT WAS NOISY AND SOME TABLES CLOSE TOGETHER THOUGH I REALIZE IT WAS A SMALL VENUE AND HARD ENOUGH TO GET A RESERVATION BEFORE A WEEK OR 2 ADVANCE. THE FOOD WAS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible techniquesjustine5161Dined on 11/15/2014This is a place to go if you want to experience incredible creativity and really surprising techniques. My sister and I made a reservation at Pure Food and Wine for a birthday dinner before realizing that it was a RAW vegan restaurant. We were blown away by the wonderfully creative use of raw ingredients. Many dishes had components that didn't even taste vegetarian! At one point, my sister, who has been a vegan for the last ten years, looked up with horror and asked if the kitchen had slipped some cream into one dish. It was that good. We enjoyed the tasting menu - five different courses were brought out to each of us. I highly recommend the tasting menu for anyone really interested in seeing all the chefs at Pure Food and Wine have to offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent vegan spot by Union SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/12/2014I've eaten at Pure Food and Wine four times now - and each time it hasn't disappointed. We were lucky to catch the garden late at night when it was completely empty - the only people sat out there. Highly recommend the heirloom tomato lasagne and the peanut butter-based dessert is one of my absolute favorite dishes in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for allJMPRODined on 11/9/2014Very good food. I am a lacto vegetarian, and both my children are as well. We loved the vast selection. My husband is a steak and potatoes guy, but he even found dishes to choose from and food to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and DeliciousTrixieDined on 11/8/2014We have been to Pure Food and Wine several times now, including with a variety of meat eaters, and everyone has loved the unusual, healthy, and delicious food. It is amazing what they do with the raw and vegan ingredients. It is especially nice to dine outdoors in the warmer weather. We also enjoyed the back room on this past visit - great for conversation. Wait staff are cordial, efficient and knowledgeable. I look forward to our next meal there!Special Features:
- Great weekend lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/8/2014Sometimes you just want a nice lunch in a pretty setting with good food but also good cocktails. This can be a gamble, considering how much NYC loves a boozy brunch. The atmosphere here was calm, the food (vegan) fantastic, and the drinks (both with champagne and without) were on point. I recommend the Red Ginger juice and the lasagne—still dreaming of their pesto and "cheese." FYI they are very generous with their salad portions so bring a big appetite or intend to take some home.Special Features:
- exceptional vegan optionmarleneVIPDined on 11/8/2014one of few places around Union Square where vegan food restaurant looks and feels like a world class one. wSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's Tasting MenuTiffanyDDined on 11/7/2014We enjoyed our meal very much but really do wish we had not chosen the tasting menu. Although it was good, I believe more exciting dishes were not on the tasting menu. It was creative but not mind blowing. The zucchini & local greenhouse tomato lasagna was far more visually appealing and tastes much better! We ordered the tasting menu as well as the 4 course wine tasting. All in all, I believe I would have been better to select my own courses.Special Features:
- More than a simple veganSwifoodyDined on 11/7/2014They notch up the level of vegan restaurant and food. Really nice team and great service. Romantic atmosphere. Go try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOmidines2Dined on 11/7/2014My boyfriend (who is not vegetarian) & I thoroughly enjoyed our gourmet vegan dining experience. The service was friendly and efficient, the menu creative, and all of the dishes we tried were delicious and beautifully presented. We're looking forward to returning next time we're in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and TastyEasterDinnerDined on 11/2/2014We are regulars at Pure Food and Wine. We love the fact that keep adding new seasonal entrees to the menu. Howevrr, the Tamales are our favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's not just for VegansNYFinnVIPDined on 11/2/2014Excellent tasting menu. Each dish was a delightful "spicefull" of flavor. For those that are skeptical of raw or vegan dishes filling you up then this place will satisfy that question....it will!!!! You leave full without the bloated feeling you get from a steak and potatoes meal. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdventuresomeVIPDined on 11/1/2014Exceeded my expectations in every way. The best Vegan I have had anywhere. Converted my friend into a foodie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It is, and remains, an experience!CalmbrunoDined on 11/1/2014Because it really is pure food. Nothing more to add, I am sorry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousGwiznyVIPDined on 10/31/2014My first time at Pure Food & Wine and loved the food. I've been a healthy eater for some time but was told I HAD to try this place. Will be back for sure!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegans RejoiceFlorenceDined on 10/31/2014This place is true to it's name....they serve "Pure Food". Not knowing what to expect, their food is pure, raw vegetarian/vegan. If you are not used to eating vegetarian meals, then this is not the place for you. I was surprised at how different the food tastes. It was definitely a different experience for me. Taking my date to this place for his birthday, I think we were used to something more "savory" and "seasoned". Overall, I must say that it was different and unusual. I would recommend this place to those who are true vegans....they may appreciate this place more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Treat!GramercyAreaVIPDined on 10/30/2014We were looking for a place to accomodate our Vegan guest, and found Pure Food and Wine in the neighborhood. What a great find! Although most of us were carnivors, we all enjoyed the beautifully prepared food served. What a wonderful complexity! Each and every one of us will return again and again. Don't hesitate to try the vegetable lasagna or the "cheese" plate. Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fantastic findJoTribecaDined on 10/28/2014We loved this restaurant - even my carnivore of a husband really appreciated the beautifully presented, tasty food. Definitely worth trying the tasting menu, there was so much food we ended up bring some home with us! Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely service, good flavors!everylittlecrumbDined on 10/23/2014The bartender was great and offered tastes of their wine by the glass while I waited for my friend. The waitress was helpful suggesting dishes and describing flavors. I eat at a lot of raw restaurants and they tend to overdue it with the nut sauces and cheeses and that wasn't the case here. Really tasty food and not too rich!
- raw food done okblackswansongsDined on 10/21/2014The raw menu is creative, but not out of this world amazing. We made an online reservation accepting their posted 10:30 pm time. Mistake. One of our appetizers tasted like the end of the night's bottom of the barrel, not in a good way. It was a brittle made out of pumpkin seeds, but it was not well crafted. Borderline inedible. The rest was pretty good to ok. I've worked in food service, and I know not to show up to restaurants 15 min prior to closing, which is why we figured 30 min prior to closing would be ok. And it is for some places. But not for Pure Food and Wine.Special Features:
- AmandaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Amazing food and service - the lasagna is incredible!Special Features:
- Pure food never disappointsHEALTHCOACHDined on 10/19/2014Pure food never disappoints. The service, food, and ambience is great. Make sure you get dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly excellentanonDined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu and most of it was devine. One or two things were decidedly unexciting though - in fact, one was not very good at all and I didn't finish it.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseVirginiaVIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I are not vegans and we cook our food, but we loved our meal here. The kale role appetizer was as satisfying as any sushi and the zucchini lasagna was filled with flavor. The candle-lit dining room was very pretty and the server was extremely helpful,in describing the unfamilitary dishes. We came to the place because we were headed to the theater in nearby Union Square and the more traditional restaurants were booked. We are so happy we found it. Our only regret: it was too chilly to dine in the gardens - one of the prettiest in NY.Special Features:
- Great FindVC2017Dined on 10/18/2014I took my vegan girlfriend here for her birthday. I'm a real meat and potatoes type guy but the simple, beautifully presented dishes and generous portions were more than enough to wow me and satisfy my appetite. The hostess was nice enough to include a gratis desert in light of the special occasion. Service, food and atmosphere are exceptional. I would recommend pure food and wines to anyone looking for a very special place to take a very special person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itKeovableVIPDined on 10/18/2014The first time I came, I was disappointed with the lasagna (all paste/pesto and very little substance). But the setting, service and array of vegetarian/vegan options was too much to resist. I'm so glad that I came back to try other items on the menu. The tacos are to die for, while the salads never go wrong. The green juice was a little heavy on the ginger, but not a bad choice. Service and setting have remained outstanding.Special Features:
- Out of foodVeniceDined on 10/17/2014Over half of the entrees (and several of the appetizers) were unavailable by the time we were seated. We were able to choose from three options, or "salads" from the lunch menu. I appreciate "keeping food costs low" as the waiter explained to us. But I expect more from a fine dining restaurant. I was a big fan of this restaurant and absolutely love and appreciate raw food, but this is the first time I've been back in several years. The refined quality of the food and the furnishings/ambiance have suffered in the interim. What a disappointment.
- Amazing vegan restaurantTemaLVIPDined on 10/14/2014Could not believe how great the food at this restaurant was. We were amazed at every dish. Beautiful outdoor garden in the back. Friendly but a little slow service. we will return.Special Features:
- Simply the best vegan dining in NYCstyletipsyDined on 10/13/2014Sarma created a beautiful dining experience for those looking to indulge in sophisticated vegan food. The dishes are crafted with attention to flavor, texture, composition and presentation. The food is simply delicious. Extensive wine list offers something for everybody. I would go back any time I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- The food is amazing!LuvToDineNYDined on 10/11/2014My friend and I had the tasting menu. But we had different dishes so we could try out each other's food as well. The food was so delicious and fresh. There is almost no word to describe our amazing meal. Every dish is cleverly crafted and there was just enough source and seasoning. The chef is a genius! The service was just right. The server was attentive but not pushy. My friend and I has always wanted to try this restaurant and it did not disappoint. I will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum Yum!ShaekingDined on 10/11/2014I took my aunt here b/c she is vegan and gluten free for medical reasons. Blown away by this meal. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- HorribleAndieDined on 10/10/2014The food is horrible. I love vegan, vegetarian food. This place so expensive and the food is really ba and so pretentious. I don't know how they justify charging what they do for food that could and should be so much better. This is the place that gives vegetarian food a bad rap.
- Amazing Experienceluv2dineDined on 10/7/2014On a date with one vegan and one meat eater. When we walked in on a Tuesday night the restaurant didn't look very busy. The hostess offered us a seat in their garden which we accepted. She led us to the most spectacular patio I've ever seen in NYC. The trees and the lights, the ambiance was oozing romance. We decided to get the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings since we were having a hard time deciding which items to order. We made the right choice! Each course we each got a different items which was perfect for sharing and getting to try a lot of menu items. We enjoyed each course and the wine was fantastic - and all organic! Both the meat eater and vegan were perfectly satisfied and would definitely be back.Special Features:
- lovely eveningjjveganDined on 10/7/2014delightful outdoor dining, creative and delicious food, careful attention to food allergy. Best of all -- the mint sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan PerfectionMelderVIPDined on 10/4/2014My fiance and I tried the chef's tasting menu, and were not disappointed. We were each served a different dish for the 5 courses, except for the soup, and shared all of them. Every one of the 9 selections was interesting and delicious. The plating presentation was beautiful, and the huge outdoor patio made you forget you were in Manhattan. The service was great, and everyone was very friendly. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Culinary highlightCorulliDined on 10/4/2014Lunch at Pure Food and Wine exceeded my expectations of a culinary experience during my short stay in NY. Every dish is of such high quality taste-wise as well as visually, that it could easily convert any avid carnivore into a raw vegan disciple.The Classic Sundae is to die for!!! Service was outstanding, with very knowledgeable and friendly staff that made you feel welcome the minute you set foot in the restaurant. Next time I'm in town, I'll come for dinner in order to check out the more substantial dinner menu.Special Features:
- Delish!NYCdinerDined on 10/4/2014I thought with this place being vegan and raw that I would leave hungry but that wasn't the case at all! Everything was incredibly filling and delish! Would highly recommend even to a carnivore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.