Pure Food and Wine
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $50 and over
Pure Food and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
- Phone: 2124771010x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served daily from 12-4pm, with additional weekend brunch menu options on Saturdays and Sundays. Dinner served nightly from 5:30 - 11:00pm. For groups of five or more guests, please call to reserve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Nikki King-Bennett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for off-site catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email inquiries to email@example.com.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Switzer 2124771010x
- Special Events: We have an onsite private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your special event!
A word from Pure Food and Wine
Pure Food and Wine serves upscale raw vegan cuisine - food in its natural and purest state. In order to preserve the food's natural enzymes, vitamins and minerals, nothing is heated above 118 degrees. Only the freshest seasonal, organic ingredients are used to produce handcrafted flavors that rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit. An extensive collection of organic and biodynamic wines and sakes are available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pure Food and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
221 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (168)fit for foodies (166)romantic (117)special occasion (102)neighborhood gem (101)notable wine list (60)great for lunch (53)good for groups (48)great for brunch (39)hot spot (36)late-night find (22)scenic view (12)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- AmandaVIPDined on 10/20/2014Amazing food and service - the lasagna is incredible!Special Features:
- Pure food never disappointsHEALTHCOACHDined on 10/19/2014Pure food never disappoints. The service, food, and ambience is great. Make sure you get dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mostly excellentanonDined on 10/18/2014We had the tasting menu and most of it was devine. One or two things were decidedly unexciting though - in fact, one was not very good at all and I didn't finish it.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseVirginiaVIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I are not vegans and we cook our food, but we loved our meal here. The kale role appetizer was as satisfying as any sushi and the zucchini lasagna was filled with flavor. The candle-lit dining room was very pretty and the server was extremely helpful,in describing the unfamilitary dishes. We came to the place because we were headed to the theater in nearby Union Square and the more traditional restaurants were booked. We are so happy we found it. Our only regret: it was too chilly to dine in the gardens - one of the prettiest in NY.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I took my vegan girlfriend here for her birthday. I'm a real meat and potatoes type guy but the simple, beautifully presented dishes and generous portions were more than enough to wow me and satisfy my appetite. The hostess was nice enough to include a gratis desert in light of the special occasion. Service, food and atmosphere are exceptional. I would recommend pure food and wines to anyone looking for a very special place to take a very special person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the best vegan dining in NYCstyletipsyDined on 10/13/2014Sarma created a beautiful dining experience for those looking to indulge in sophisticated vegan food. The dishes are crafted with attention to flavor, texture, composition and presentation. The food is simply delicious. Extensive wine list offers something for everybody. I would go back any time I'm in NYC.Special Features:
- The food is amazing!LuvToDineNYDined on 10/11/2014My friend and I had the tasting menu. But we had different dishes so we could try out each other's food as well. The food was so delicious and fresh. There is almost no word to describe our amazing meal. Every dish is cleverly crafted and there was just enough source and seasoning. The chef is a genius! The service was just right. The server was attentive but not pushy. My friend and I has always wanted to try this restaurant and it did not disappoint. I will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum Yum Yum!ShaekingDined on 10/11/2014I took my aunt here b/c she is vegan and gluten free for medical reasons. Blown away by this meal. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- HorribleAndieDined on 10/10/2014The food is horrible. I love vegan, vegetarian food. This place so expensive and the food is really ba and so pretentious. I don't know how they justify charging what they do for food that could and should be so much better. This is the place that gives vegetarian food a bad rap.
- Amazing Experienceluv2dineDined on 10/7/2014On a date with one vegan and one meat eater. When we walked in on a Tuesday night the restaurant didn't look very busy. The hostess offered us a seat in their garden which we accepted. She led us to the most spectacular patio I've ever seen in NYC. The trees and the lights, the ambiance was oozing romance. We decided to get the 5 course tasting menu with wine pairings since we were having a hard time deciding which items to order. We made the right choice! Each course we each got a different items which was perfect for sharing and getting to try a lot of menu items. We enjoyed each course and the wine was fantastic - and all organic! Both the meat eater and vegan were perfectly satisfied and would definitely be back.Special Features:
- lovely eveningjjveganDined on 10/7/2014delightful outdoor dining, creative and delicious food, careful attention to food allergy. Best of all -- the mint sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan PerfectionMelderVIPDined on 10/4/2014My fiance and I tried the chef's tasting menu, and were not disappointed. We were each served a different dish for the 5 courses, except for the soup, and shared all of them. Every one of the 9 selections was interesting and delicious. The plating presentation was beautiful, and the huge outdoor patio made you forget you were in Manhattan. The service was great, and everyone was very friendly. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Culinary highlightCorulliDined on 10/4/2014Lunch at Pure Food and Wine exceeded my expectations of a culinary experience during my short stay in NY. Every dish is of such high quality taste-wise as well as visually, that it could easily convert any avid carnivore into a raw vegan disciple.The Classic Sundae is to die for!!! Service was outstanding, with very knowledgeable and friendly staff that made you feel welcome the minute you set foot in the restaurant. Next time I'm in town, I'll come for dinner in order to check out the more substantial dinner menu.Special Features:
- Delish!NYCdinerDined on 10/4/2014I thought with this place being vegan and raw that I would leave hungry but that wasn't the case at all! Everything was incredibly filling and delish! Would highly recommend even to a carnivore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mm mm mmmmmSweetBuddhaDined on 10/1/2014The tamales and lasagna were heavenly. The salad fresh, lively, light. The corn porridge was like dessert with the pumpkin seed crunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/30/2014Wonderful food. Delicious dishes with outstanding presentation. Seasonal menu makes excellent use of the best ingredients. Love the additional salad menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly awesomeSmerickDined on 9/26/2014The food is to die for. The salad with dill dressing is the best salad I've ever had. Went with the corn tamale and mint sundae based on others recommendations and did not disappoint. Sit outside if you can. Very romantic .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent/ExcellentSFpickyDinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014I travel to NY frequently and almost always stop for dinner at Pure. Last night I brought my daughter (early 20s). The dishes are consistently well prepared and tasty; while service quality can vary based on my prior experiences, last night was perfect. We sat outdoors, had constant but not obtrusive attention from the service staff, our food items were tasty. We split the special desert, a chocolate brownie /mouse cup, that was to die for. All in all, an outstanding experience. I was so impressed this time that I couldn't resist picking up the new cook book.Special Features:
- Food was fantasticDrewTarrDined on 9/23/2014Lovely service; well appointed garden and a good selection of wine/beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Raw ExpierienceIevaDined on 9/22/2014Me and my husband are raw food fans from Latvia (as owner's Sarma roots are from Latvia too and here she is quite popular among the raw foodies) and we booked a table to try how good it is - and the food, the ambience and service were great!Special Features:
- Exquisite, authentic, unique dishesRoscoDined on 9/21/2014Not just for raw foodies, this restaurant served us innovative dishes that celebrated the authenticity of the ingredients. An upbeat staff seated us in the beautiful garden. No hard liquor, but an interesting wine list - we had a couple bottles of fine Croatian Pinot Noir with our tastings menu. The preparations were complex and the servers duly gave us the details but they became quite hard to remember as we rotated the many dishes around the four of us. Very skilled and unique combinations of flavors and textures. The only draw back was that as the evening wore on, it became difficult to see what we were eating at the candle lit tables - iPhone flashlights sufficed! A wonderful evening. ($150pp incl drinks, wine, tax, tip)Special Features:
- Good food but overpricedHappyeaterVIPDined on 9/20/2014I've eaten at Pure Food and Wine several times and the food has ranged from extraordinary to just good. My biggest complaint is that the portions are sometimes very small but the prices are consistently high. I don't mind paying for good quality food, which they undoubtedly serve, but when the portion size is very small, it doesn't feel like a very good value. I had the sweet corn tamales for $26 which were more like the size of an appetizer than entrée. Desserts are also $16 each, as are starters, rivaling some of the city's most expensive restaurants.Special Features:
- Date Night GemaeaugenbDined on 9/17/2014Pure Food and Wine has a beautiful backyard, great food, and friendly staff. I cannot wait to go again.Special Features:
- one of my fave NYC restaurantsHEALTHCOACHDined on 9/14/2014This restaurant is truly remarkable. Their menu is innovative and the food is delicious. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. They have a beautiful outdoor space during the warmer months. Some of my favorite menu items include the mint sundae (reminds me of girl scout thin mints), kale casear sushi roll, jungle peanut cheesecake, and the tamales with mole sauce. It really is shocking this is a raw food place. SO good, do not miss out.Special Features:
- Chef's Tasting was perfect!EmmaLea20Dined on 9/13/2014We went to Pure Food and Wine to celebrate a birthday. Since both of us had never been there before we decided to go with the 5 course chef tasting menu and what a great decision that was! Not only did we get to really experience the range of dishes the restaurant provides but it made it feel that much more special to have someone come out and describe each dish to us. Even though we went with this for our first time we might do this option every time we go from now on. Our favorite dish hands down was the Peach Gazpacho by the way.Special Features:
- PF&W is the "One"CompassionateVeganDined on 9/10/2014We are always on the "Seek and Destroy" mission for some awesome raw vegan goodies, and nothing tops this place. The amazing raw superfood "Fuel" this place offers has me always begging for a Reload. Every time my fiancé and I need a "Battery" recharge, we enjoy a couple hours in the back garden area. I can't lie... The food is so good, I can barely hear the words my fiancé is speaking. I'm just keep wondering "For Whom The Bell Tolls"?... Is that my next course?! And when the plate arrives, I always have to remind myself to share "...and Justice for all", otherwise no one would get a taste of my entree. Nothing better than the satisfied feeling you get after enjoying a meal at PF&W... I just "Fade to Black" after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvthisplaceDined on 9/9/2014Very good food and service although not for everyone. Love this place but cannot go more often because just too expensive. Food is beautifully prepared and served. Service is excellent provided you get there when place is not full. Desserts are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?MothersNDaughtersDined on 9/9/2014We shared three lunches and found the raw food absolutely amazing!! The spicy sesame salad, the zucchini and greenhouse tomato lasagna and the tortilla wraps ~ between the 'mummm' and 'scrummy' and 'it tastes SO clean and delicious' we all agreed to come back. The spicy sesame was such a hit that the two daughters each ordered it 'to go'. Desert was the chocolate ganache tart and the classic sundae. OMG. We would return just for the sundae. I'm not sure which cookbook ~ Raw Food Real World or Living Raw Food ~ the other mother bought but I am hoping for an invitation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomally creativeChowowaDined on 9/4/2014This restaurant redefines raw and vegan as an elegant, healthy, artistic way to dine. Plus it is comfortable and atmospheric. It wass one of the best meals i have ever had based solely on vegetables. A must-try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousMomOfAStrictVeganDined on 9/4/2014Unique menu, Brazilian nut croquettes a great choice. The tiramisu is to die for! Upscale vegan fare, good service and garden dining made lunch a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurantSarah22Dined on 9/3/2014Pure is my first stop when I travel to NYC. Gourmet raw food in a romantic atmosphere. LOVE LOVE LOVE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!jonathansalomonsDined on 9/1/2014If you like raw food, or want to try it, this is the place to go. The pear and crape salad is delicate and light, the mix of the two come together so nicely. I had the lasagna, which is a dish they are known for, made with zucchini in place of the pasta, it is simply delicious. Also, a great wine list with some organic wines as well.Special Features:
- I can't believe its Vegan!Yanni10VaDined on 8/31/2014This is my first experience with an entirely vegan menu and I was pleasantly surprised by the explosion of flavors. I could give up meat and never miss it with the variety offered at Pure Food and Wine. Every dish we had was unique, yet reminiscent of some non-vegan dish. The Kale Caesar Rolls looked and tasted like sushi tuna rolls, but better. The cornbread pudding was very satisfying, and my entree of Spinach and Picholine Olive Mezzaluna with King Oyster Mushrooms was quite tasty. The Blackberry Cobler satisfied my sugar cravings without leaving me too full. The restaurant has a funky vibe, but felt a little cramped and noisy as the rain kept us inside.Special Features:
- Great food but service EhFoodieinFLDined on 8/31/2014Didn't find the staff super helpful. We had to flag them over to our table more than once and it wasn't a busy time. The food was good and it was fun to try vegan food. Turns out it's very good!Special Features:
- Service needs improvementGFgirl99Dined on 8/29/2014Food was interesting and well presented although portion sizes were very inconsistent. Some dishes were tiny while others average in size. Patio was beautiful. Server made us feel very uncomfortable the entire meal as if waiting on us was a big, bothersome favor. One of the strangest dining experiences because of that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's The Meat?HappyDiner50Dined on 8/28/2014Don't be misled by some of the customer comments - or the lukewarm review written in the New York Times. Pure Food and Wine is a deeply satisfying dining experience. The dishes are creative and tasty and the presentation is exquisite. I am a meat lover - so coming here was a tough sell...but I am so glad that I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful nightgstarDined on 8/25/2014It was a perfect night, so the outdoor garden ambiance made it more special. The food was great and the staff was outstanding. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tasty!TheCsDined on 8/22/2014I have been dying to visit this restaurant since I first got the cookbook Living Raw Food last year. I finally made it to NYC and made this my first lunch stop. I had the S&M salad, which was delicious, however I feel like it didn't really showcase what this restaurant can do, and it was mainly a giant pile of greens. The accompanying rosemary crackers were delicious; however, I should have ordered an entrée. My companion had the falafel salad (same thing - tons of greens). The falafel was delicious, the tabouli was lovely. I will definitely come back, but I will order something a bit more special...and try a juice, too!Special Features:
- Very creativeMichVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved this place. It was highly recommended by a friend and I agree that it is one of the best vegan restaurants in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatarinaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Some of the most creative, delicious cuisine in the city…here's a place where it's (nearly) impossible to replicate the food. Nice to see art applied to vegan/raw cuisine. Spectacular.Special Features: