Pure Food and Wine
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Vegetarian / VeganPrice: $50 and over
Pure Food and Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.purefoodandwine.com/
- Phone: 2124771010x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch served daily from 12-4pm, with additional weekend brunch menu options on Saturdays and Sundays. Dinner served nightly from 5:30 - 11:00pm. For groups of five or more guests, please call to reserve.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Nikki King-Bennett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please email email@example.com for off-site catering information.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Party Contact: Jim Switzer 2124771010x
- Special Events: We have an onsite private dining room that can accommodate up to 18 guests. Please email email@example.com to book your special event!
A word from Pure Food and Wine
Pure Food and Wine serves upscale raw vegan cuisine - food in its natural and purest state. In order to preserve the food's natural enzymes, vitamins and minerals, nothing is heated above 118 degrees. Only the freshest seasonal, organic ingredients are used to produce handcrafted flavors that rejuvenate the mind, body and spirit. An extensive collection of organic and biodynamic wines and sakes are available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pure Food and Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (158)fit for foodies (153)romantic (117)special occasion (104)neighborhood gem (83)great for lunch (63)notable wine list (54)great for brunch (48)good for groups (45)hot spot (42)late-night find (19)vibrant bar scene (13)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)Show More
- wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014It was a perfect night, so the outdoor garden ambiance made it more special. The food was great and the staff was outstanding. I love this place.Special Features:
- Tasty!TheCsDined on 8/22/2014I have been dying to visit this restaurant since I first got the cookbook Living Raw Food last year. I finally made it to NYC and made this my first lunch stop. I had the S&M salad, which was delicious, however I feel like it didn't really showcase what this restaurant can do, and it was mainly a giant pile of greens. The accompanying rosemary crackers were delicious; however, I should have ordered an entrée. My companion had the falafel salad (same thing - tons of greens). The falafel was delicious, the tabouli was lovely. I will definitely come back, but I will order something a bit more special...and try a juice, too!Special Features:
- Very creativeMichVIPDined on 8/21/2014Loved this place. It was highly recommended by a friend and I agree that it is one of the best vegan restaurants in NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatarinaVIPDined on 8/20/2014Some of the most creative, delicious cuisine in the city…here's a place where it's (nearly) impossible to replicate the food. Nice to see art applied to vegan/raw cuisine. Spectacular.Special Features:
- pure food and wineDeliciousDined on 8/20/2014a great restaurant to catch up with a friend, beautiful garden in the back to sit out and relax and enjoy very good food. The service was attentive and the menu creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rmclarkVIPDined on 8/19/2014A Very long wait for food for our party of two. Management brought us a complimentary glass of wine and an amuse bouche to apologize for the delay in the kitchen. Attentive and polite staff, very nice environment in the rear garden. Delicious entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pure GoodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2014Wonderful food for the table (Taco Salad, "Orreo" Cookie ice cream, Mallomar). The service was a little slow (especially since my dining guests and I were the only ones dining inside the restaurant at 12pm), but still friendly overall. Overall a great experience, as usual.Special Features:
- Great food, lovely ambience.MarionmDined on 8/15/2014I had the fixed price menu for $30 the salad was huge and so delicious, I had the lasagne as I had heard so much about it. I was disappointed I found it too intense with so much paste however I know it is all down to personal taste, the food served to other diners around me looked great. I had the tiramisu for desert which was really good. I loved the place and would definately go back, however I thought thought the staff could have been more attentive... Ie how is your meal. I ate less than a quarter of my lasagne but nobody asked me if everything was ok with it. I had a mojito which was good and some lavender tea which was also good . Over all a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Most uniqueOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/14/2014Most unique rest in NYC, with only Dirt Candy as a fellow leader. They keep breaking new ground -- this past visit: cauliflower polenta that was great and happens to be raw, vegan. You've never been so sated and energized after a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoorsveggienorbVIPDined on 8/13/2014Food is delicious, and the staff are absolutely outstanding, BUT, while the garden seating is real nice, noise inside is loud. Don't miss Pure Food and Wine, but, weather permitting, make sure to book a garden table.Special Features:
- A gemMarieAMDined on 8/13/2014The outdoor garden patio area was enchanting ! Our server was attentive and very helpful. The food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw food?atcmschroedDined on 8/12/2014I went into this experience with some hesitancy - I'm a fairly traditional foodie, loving my well grilled meat. This was a lovely and artistic expression of using raw food to amazing affect. Flavor combination were superb. Wines eclectic and interesting. Our waiter was superb, enthusiastic, great advice, respectful. Hip, dark ambiance in Gramercy Park. One of the best vegetarian options in all of New York City.Special Features:
- Salad and sundaeKathleenDined on 8/12/2014I went here for my birthday lunch. We ate outside in the outdoor garden which was so very special and beautiful. Honestly the food could have been terrible and I would have been happy. Was I blown away by the food? No but the ice cream was divine and you will not find a better salad anywhere. Next time, I would get a salad and a sundae!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal I've had in agesJerseyGurlinthecityDined on 8/11/2014The food was absolutely spectacular! Presentation was beautiful for every course. Ingredients were not only fresh but the combination of flavors in all of the dishes was really special. I highly recommend the "nut cheeses" as an appetizer and the tamales with fresh mole inside (just the right hint of chocolatey sweetness) and cashew sour cream! We had the orange blossom cake with strawberry semifredo but the ice cream sundae at the next table looked amazing too! Can't wait to go back again! (And I am not even a vegetarian!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchKateDined on 8/7/2014Relaxing atmosphere, great service, with a delicious vegan menu. The desserts are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Wonderfulfoodie2301Dined on 8/5/2014Amazing Restaurant that stands out as a unique experience in a city full of wonderful places. You feel good eating hear in more ways than one. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, weird smellBrooksVIPDined on 8/4/2014The food was unbelievably delicious. I am definitely going back. But, the service was super slow and the weird smell indoors took some time to get used to.Special Features:
- Lovely FoodCapezionkDined on 8/2/2014Great dinner experience. Wanted to visit a raw food restaurant and my (non-vegan, non-vegetarian) husband totally enjoyed himself and was impressed with the food. He was worried about leaving "hungry" and in fact he couldn't finish all of his food because of how full he felt. I ordered the tamales and he had the lasagna, we also ordered the chips and guac as well as the crepe to start. Each dish was unique and like eating art! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing!DelishveggiesDined on 7/30/2014Portion sizes were perfect. The dishes were vegan and so very delicious. I wish I could make such wonderful food like this at home. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new favorite spotsouthernfoodieDined on 7/27/2014INCREDIBLE, "feel-good" good. Friendliest staff of all NYC restaurants I have been to.... and all seemed genuinely happy. Wonderful food, romantic atmosphere, perfect spot to lounge or take a date.Special Features:
- Best Raw food!JSTOKERDined on 7/27/2014I am from a big foodie town Chicago and Pure Food and Wine was by far some of the best Raw food i have ever eaten! The staff was super friendly and amazing. I was already a fan of Pure Food before coming to the actual restaurant. I have all of Sarma Melngailis's cookbooks and love her life story. She has done amazing things with raw food and it would even change the minds of meat and potato eaters.. Thanks again for preparing such wonderful food with much passion and love. Raw food will change the world one day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SuperbbellanycDined on 7/22/2014As more raw food restaurants pop up around NYC, I'm thrilled to have increasing options for dining out. But none of these wonderful new places even comes close to Pure Food & Wine. It is the most expensive of the raw restaurants, but you get what you pay for. And Pure's beautifully presented, throroughly gourmet and incredibly filling food is worth every penny. I have taken countless burly male friends to Pure and blown when they learn that raw does not mean rabbit food. Even my mind is blown with the chefs do with food here! My most recent visit included the date bread appetizer and the tamales. Yum!! Reservations are sometimes hard to come by last minute. I recommend sitting outside in their charming courtyard any chance you get.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for Raw Vegan FoodDoctoRVIPDined on 7/19/2014Great place for Raw Vegan Food. Notable Organic Wine List.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!PeggyDined on 7/19/2014We love Pure Food and Wine! We have two favorite restaurants in NY, and this is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ripebanana14Dined on 7/19/2014Raw gourmet dining at its finest! Excellent food with superb presentation and the outdoor garden is splendid. Such an elegant vegan experience. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerMelissaKaveskiDined on 7/17/2014I've dined at this restaurant before, but never in the garden. What a delight! Great service, nice wine list, and the food was better than I remember. Despite the number of people, it was pretty quiet and romantic. Perfect date spot. Check out that patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clean healthy food,unique,deliciousNanSDined on 7/17/2014The 5 course chef tasting menu was amazing!!!! I'm so glad we did it! Go for it- loved everything!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing serviceraukarDined on 7/16/2014Service here was amazing, and the food was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way TastyBiker1Dined on 7/15/2014While it took a while beyond our reserved time to get us seated (in all likelihood because it was a rainy night and they only had the indoor seats available), the staff was super hospitable in spirit, the restaurant comped our drinks for the wait, and my vegan pal who I brought to Pure Food pronounced it "the best restaurant in the world" after our meal and called over the waiters to tell them so. Great place in all ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!!Cec83Dined on 7/14/2014Fantastic food! We tried the chefs tasting menu and it was one great dish after another. The waitor was very service minded and recommended a great wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a wonderful mealjonathansalomonsDined on 7/14/2014This is the place for raw food meals, prepared to perfection. The service is very attentive and knowledgeable. Also, a great selection of wine, some organic.Special Features:
- Great food - Poor ServiceluvmyfoodDined on 7/11/2014We were at first skeptical about raw vegan food - especially when we saw the prices on the menu but decided to try it. The food was really great - it was really fun to figure out how they created the various tastes without cooking or using animal ingredients. The deserts were fantastic! Great ambiance - we were able to get a table in the back patio area and it was a lovely warm evening - more like a dinner party in someone's backyard than at a restaurant. Service was really poor however - no check-in to see how the food was or whether we needed anything, we had to grab our waiter's attention to order additional items, waited a long time for our bill, etc. Quite disappointing considering how much money we spent there. No tip for him!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningKodoDined on 7/11/2014Fantastic venue for vegans and others. Had dinner with a 'regular food' colleague who has never eaten vegan food before and she raved about it. Will definitely be back here soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!NYVeg123Dined on 7/11/2014Our dinner was delicious (especially dessert). We shared the Crepe with White Asparagus, Pear and Arugula as a first course, my husband had Hen of the Woods Tacos al Pastor and I had Sweet Corn and Cashew Tamales with Chili Spiced Portabella as an entree, and we had Chocolate and Jungle Peanut Butter Cheesecake and Blackberry Cobbler with Cornbread Streusel for dessert. The tacos and tamales were both amazing -- an array of flavors and didn't seem raw. The desserts were likewise delicious, though by way of warning incredibly decadent and rich (the cheesecake was the richest I've ever had anywhere). The costs are high, but the portions are huge - I think in our case doing all three courses was probably too much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cure for jet lag !MKEfoodieDined on 7/10/2014Made reservations two days before I landed in NYC and I was so glad that I did. Not only is raw food a great pick me up but the whole dining experience wiped away all the stress and drama from my many delayed flights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!WhatsforDinnerDined on 7/8/2014The food was absolutely delicious, and so well presented. You must have the sangria, as well as the corn pudding appetizer. I was very pleasantly surprised with how satisfied I left this restaurant. Great healthy food that is worth the $$.Special Features:
- Amazing!VegafoodieDined on 7/2/2014Was honestly one of the best meals I have ever had! I've been vegan for 6 months now and haven't found a vegan restaurant I liked until coming there! Even my non-vegan boyfriend enjoyed it thoroughly and said it was one of the best meals he has had in a very long time. Not only was the food fantastic the cocktails were delicious! I would definitely recommended this place to anyone looking to relax and dine into some delicious food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular eveningSamiG613Dined on 6/30/2014My sister is vegan and had been wanting to try Pure Food and Wine for a while so we decided to go for her birthday celebration. We sat in the outdoor garden and did the 5 course tasting selected by the kitchen. The good was fantastic and the service absolutely impeccable. I really can't say enough good thing about this place. Highly recommend it for vegans and veggie appreciators alike. A wondrful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be coming backRakolinaDined on 6/29/2014This is a great raw place, probably the best in NYC.Special Features:
- Amazing FoodJasperMarksDined on 6/26/2014I can't enough good things about Pure Food and Wine. From the lasagna to the tamales to the desserts to the fresh juice drinks. These folks knock it out of the park. I was so impressed I went onto to Amazon Prime and ordered two cookbooks from this restaurant.Special Features: