Pura Vida by Brandt
170 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Pura Vida by Brandt
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.puravidabybrandt.com/
- Phone: 2169870100x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30 - 2:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 4:00 - 8:00 pm
Dinner: Thursday - Friday 4:00 - 9:30 pm
Dinner: Saturday 4:00 - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brandt Evans and Scott Coffman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Breakfast, Lunch and dinner packages available. From 10 to 1000 people, we can offer drop off or full service catering!
- Special Events: Join our newsletter at www.puravidabybrandt.com for our up coming events and specials. From Beer vs Wine events to Farmer harvest dinners...and everything else in between
A word from Pura Vida by Brandt
Pura Vida By Brandt is all about living for today! Located in the historic May Co. Building in the heart of down town Cleveland! Serving lunch dinner. We offer craft beers, boutique wines, creative cocktails, gourmet cheeses, unique dishes and a one of a kind ambiance. Owned and operated by Chef Brandt Evans and his experienced team, Pura Vida is all about making your experience fantastic!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Pura Vida by Brandt - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland ›
Pura Vida by Brandt reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)great for lunch (30)great for outdoor dining (29)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (25)good for groups (20)hot spot (17)scenic view (12)romantic (11)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- go back for lunchfudeaterDined on 9/18/2014Took a client for dinner after enduring his choice of a Marriott dinner at the bar last time. I had volunteered to pick something better and hoped this would be it. There were few in the restaurant (thursday evening) so it felt "empty". Ordered the special and they were out of one of the main ingredients. I took it with the spinach when it called for brussel sprouts. The sauce would have been great with the brussel sprouts. Kitchen needs a little work. But the basic food was decent. I would go back for lunch and see what it is like. I am told it is packed at lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We met some friends visiting from Chicago here. It was convenient for them to walk from their hotel. They enjoyed the street scene almost as much as the food. We had a very enjoyable evening here.Special Features:
- Great vegeterian restaurantJonSDined on 9/15/2014Very unique restaurant with excellent food and creative recipes. Atmosphere has a hip, young vibe but could stand to be warmed up with softer lighting, maybe even some carpeting or softer accent pieces. Our entries were just a tad over-seasoned on this Monday evening but not enough to take away from excellent overall experience that included the African Peanut Soup, ChickPea slides, Chicken Papardelle and a selection of beers on draft and an iced tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious birthday dinnerpugsrus3Dined on 9/12/2014I went out to eat with my daughter for her birthday and brought along my sister and cousin. We were floored by how lovely Pura Vida is. We were entranced by the changing lights throughout dinner. We had an amazing bottle of Rose, and my daughter had a very good gin cocktail. We all loved our food(esp my daughter she got the grouper special of the evening with sweet potato gnocci) and had a really wonderful time. We will be back!Special Features:
- Simply outstandingFrequentFoodieDined on 9/11/2014I've frequented Pura Vida well north of 50 times. The food is incredible, and you can't go wrong. Menu changes seasonally. African Peanut Stew is one of the best soups I've ever had (and thankfully always stays on the menu). Fish tacos, when on the menu, are incredible and the fish changes frequently. Other dishes are creative as well. An entire separate vegan/vegetarian menu as well. Great food, great atmosphere. Only negative is the noise level, which can be quite loud when the restaurant is busy.Special Features:
- Yummy Treatfoodie811Dined on 9/8/2014I was in downtown Cleveland for a business trip and my co-worker and I decided to try this place. The food was excellent! My co-worker got the baby kale salad (which I tasted and it was delicious). I got the special soup - butternut squash with apple and gouda cheese. Best butternut squash soup I ever had! Very rich and creamy. We both got the scallop special for dinner. It had a layer of squash gnocci, spaghetti squash with hints of garlic and nuts topped with 6 large pan seared scallops. Pricey at $32, but so yummy! Couldn't finish it all but it was fabulous! I highly recommend it. We went around 7 pm on a Tuesday and it wasn't busy at all. Service was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great veggie and vegan optionsLMill566Dined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has an amazing veggie/vegan menu. The African peanut stew is one of my favorite foods in Cleveland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticwelchsDined on 8/30/2014The Menu set up was a bit different but not hard to grasp by any means. Our server was very nice but didn't seem to knowledgeable about the vegetarian options. Trying to up-sell us a salad with Duck and Bacon isn't going to work, and taking it away we would just choose a regular side salad. Overall it was a great meal and as much as I cringe at the thought of Down Town Cleveland it made for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!JohnnyDined on 8/30/2014Pura Vida is one of the best restaurants in Cleveland! The Chef is cutting edge and amazing. The service is friendly and knowledgeable. Our guests loved their dinners. We started with the small bread with bacon jam, the jam was so good we ordered some to take home! I had the pork shank which was so so so good and my husband had the salmon which was so flavorful. One of our guests was vegan and could not believe they offered an entire menu for vegans and vegetarians. We love coming to Pura Vida, it is our favorite restaurant in all Ohio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVeganfoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've eaten here many times and loved it. This past weekend their was a huge private indoor party. We sat outside where service was slow. The peanut stew (my all time favorite usually) was oily and gelatinous. It will be a while before I consider going backSpecial Features:
- Great place for lunchFunFoodieDined on 8/28/2014THe service and food were great. The salmon added to most of the salads seems to work well. The room is energetic and the crowd is professional for lunches during the week.Special Features:
- Unique menu variety and tastes!MingCourtluversVIPDined on 8/25/2014DD talked me into trying this restaurant while we were there recently on business. DD told me she had read the reviews on Yelp and they were good. We split our meal as we were not too hungry. Started off our meal with a large bowl of African Peanut soup....it was sooooo tasty and addicting!! The entrée we ordered was the Salmon, which came with a fantastic egg roll creation, also LARGE. The Salmon was the best we've ever had and cooked wonderfully crunchy on the outside and perfectly moist and tender on the inside. The vegetable was green beans mixed with mushrooms somehow cooked to be slightly crunch on the outside, both were very tasty! For dessert we ordered the Chocolate Peanut Butter Trifle, and the best Homemade Smores dessert DIVINE!Special Features:
- MiscR216Dined on 8/25/2014The food was great, however the table on the outside patio was dirty and the service slowSpecial Features:
- Pay alot of money for awful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014The chef there just isn't talented. I was extremely disappointed in every single dish. I wouldn't mind that so much if I was at a cheap chain restaurant. However, I paid $30 for a bass which should have been flakey. Instead it was rubbery. So much so that I had to use a knife to cut it - and really try to boot! None of the flavors were balanced in any of the dishes. The place was empty and now I know why. On the plus side, they have vegetarian and vegan dishes. However, we had a mix of vegan and non-vegan eaters at the table and across the board - none of the dishes were any good.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Good food but it is a bit pricey for the menu items. That being said the quality of the food was good.Special Features:
- Great place for vegetariansEllaVIPDined on 8/20/2014I don't eat meat and the options for vegans and vegetarians was fantastic! Tasted good to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Vegan Food!GrandpaSweeneyDined on 8/18/2014We went to Pura Vida to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We knew they had a wonderful vegan menu and vegan wine menu. We had mentioned on our reservation that we were celebrating our anniversary and we were greeted with complimentary glasses of champagne. We started with the bread with humus, tapanade, and pickled vegetables - great. My wife had the polenta with a bean and corn salsa and hominy - what a great flavor profile. I had the soba noodles with a lime cilantro sauce and Asian vegetables, another amazing dish. We finished off the meal with vegan chocolate gelato with sea salt and the vegan German chocolate cake, both were delicious. In addition to the great food, the staff was attentive, friendly, and helpful. Great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealCrunchygranolaDined on 8/16/2014I chose this restaurant because it had an extensive vegetarian menu for me as well as a full non vegetarian menu for my omnivore dining companions. Everything we tasted, vegetarian or non, was absolutely delicious. The vegan African peanut stew was a favourite of veg and non veg diner. The chickpea bowl sounder simple but was surprisingly delicious. Everyone loved their entrees, from vegetarian polenta cakes to a huge plate of beef ribs. Pleasant atmosphere and staff. Can't wait to go again. Perfect for an occasion or just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencevegluvrDined on 8/14/2014I had a great experience at Pura Vida and finally know what everyone has been talking about. I love the fact that there is a separate vegan/vegetarian menu. It is very much appreciated and everything on it is delicious. My husband keeps talking about the African Peanut Stew. It was definitely a highlight. Everyone in our party raved about their dishes. I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- Great dinnerMariaVIPDined on 8/12/2014We had corn chowder, african stew and grilled lamb dish - all were fantastic!Special Features:
- good food, slow serviceFlutistDined on 7/30/2014Creative American fare and nice, classy environment. The "urban picnic" was particularly good, but I ordered a steak "medium" and it came back overcooked. The wait staff were nice but very slow and unorganized. They all seemed very inexperienced and in no rush to fulfill the orders of the clients.Special Features:
- solid experience!FoodStudiesEatsDined on 7/30/2014Great outside seating, good food, great service, and an innovative menu. All our dishes were solid and the appetizer was nicely presented. I'd have liked more variety in vegetarian entrees, but overall it was a solid find for out of town visitors.Special Features:
- DianeDined on 7/30/2014We love the healthy food choices but service is slow at lunch. A good choice if you have at least a full hour to spend.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodJesyDined on 7/29/2014The food was excellent. The restaurant offers a wide variety of outstanding dishes fit for vegans, vegetarians, and carnivores. The only thing lacking was the ambiance. The excellence of the food made up for the lack of ambiance, however.Special Features:
- dineDE1VIPDined on 7/23/2014Went on a Wednesday night in part of Cleveland that must be all offices - so almost no one dining here. Contemporary decor - a bit cold to the feel of the room. Dinner was good - did special empenadas with pork filling. Served on a bed of beans...so so. Guest with me had a rib eye that was very good. If in town for lunch I would try again.
- FabulousLillianDined on 7/22/2014Fabulous food and ambiance. The wait staff was outstanding. Would highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - great locationraoulDined on 7/18/2014The food was wonderful and the location, sitting on the sidewalk on a warm summer night was great! The service was a little slow but we were in no hurry and the beverages were great. We would recomend this resturant to any one visitng Cleveland, one of the highlights of our visit.Special Features:
- Gem that shouldn't be overlookedheatherVIPDined on 7/16/2014Cleveland has a lot of great restaurants that compare nationally. I brought a group that has literally dined around the world. Over their stay we went to 3 great restaurants -the two others better known. Pura Vida was their favorite! The food was outstanding. Our waiter, Belle was excellent. And we could converse as a group without too much background noise. Great evening and the groups highlight of the trip.!!!Special Features:
- What a treat!NLG9VIPDined on 7/12/2014This was our first visit to Pura Vida and the only regret is that it took me this long to try this fabulous restaurant. The menu was perfect and varied, as were our choices. Love the options for vegetarian and gluten free meals, which were enticing even to us omnivores! It's one of those restaurants you can't wait to go back to to try all the other stuff on the menu you had a hard time choosing from. Definitely a Cleveland treasure.Special Features:
- patio funJohnnyDined on 6/27/2014There was a large group of us and we sat on the patio. It was so much fun and the food was so delicious. Our server jen was amazing. It was a perfect night with great friends!Special Features:
- I'll be back...nofoodieDined on 6/27/2014It was my first time eating at Pura Vida and I left wondering why it took me so long to get there. I am a vegetarian and apart from ethnic restaurants have not experienced a fine dining establishment actually cater to veg heads. What a treat! The wine we had with dinner was excellent and the service was attentive and accommodating. We enjoyed our table next to floor to ceiling windows looking out onto Public Square. We look forward to return visits.Special Features:
- Awesome timeJohnnyDined on 6/21/2014Great food, great service, close to everything Cle....a great time had by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clevelands BEST restaurantJohnnyDined on 6/12/2014There aren't too many restaurants in Cle that will go out of their way for allergies and dietary needs. Pura Vida has many gluten free items noted, a separate vegan and vegetarian menu and offers such quality food and service. This is truly my favorite restaurant in Cleveland! A must try if you have not!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top-Notch!SlimDawgDined on 6/7/2014We only get to Pura Vida once every few months, but always leave satisfied. Actually, we haven't found a menu item that is not a winner. The vegan options are creative and delicious, and the rosemary fries are an addictive must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 417 reviews are from the Pura Vida by Brandt reviews archive.
- SuperbCLEbearDined on 5/23/2014The best. I brought friends that have not been here before, and they were thoroughly impressed. It continues to amaze me how good the restaurant is every single time I come here. The menu has changes depending on the season, so while I might be disappointed that I am not able to order that same amazing dish from last time, I get the opportunity to try something new.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewslive2eatDined on 5/17/2014More excited about the menu when viewing it on line. My husband's grouper was wonderful and the African Peanut Stew was very good. My portobello gyro was OK good but not memorable. Disappointed in desserts.Special Features:
- Pura Vida deliversrickyricardoDined on 5/17/2014I personally find the noise level to be quite high. There really is no noise absorbing material. The menu is vast and varied. I like the fact that you can eat vegan and eat glutton free. I would go back. Don't let the name mislead you. This is not a Costa Rica restaurant.Special Features:
- VERY Poor Service, ruined the mealJBargerDined on 5/7/2014Waiting an incredibly long time to get water, have our order taken, receive salads and then main meals. The server mixed up 2 of the salads and brought the completely wrong dish for 1 of our main meals. Being that this was a client entertaining lunch, we were polite, but very disappointed. Our client received the wrong lunch meal and by the time it came (1 hour later) he didn't have time to even have them bring him a new dish before having to get back to the office.
- Special timeCheleDined on 5/3/2014Family went there to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday. Great menu and particular to her, a nice vegetarian menu. Great service, awesome cocktails and appetizers!! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingJohnnyDined on 5/1/2014Fresh, flavorful, just wonderful! We went there on a week night for dinner. I had the shrimp and corn chowder and chicken and dumplings as my entrée. Both were prepared wonderfully and I definitely will stop in Pura Vida next time I am in Cleveland!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.