Punjab Indian Restaurant
485 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Punjab Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.punjabarlington.com/
- Phone: 7816430943
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Punjab Indian Restaurant
Since opening in 1999, Punjab restaurant has garnered rave reviews for quality and execution of our superb Indian cuisine. Only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are used to prepare it. Our staff is always friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And you are always welcome here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (20)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (5)romantic (3)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Used to be my favorite Indian RTrinichapDined on 7/25/2014Lamb curry had six dry tasteless and smaller than bite sized pieces drowning in a sea of curry sauce that left an unpleasant taste. Too bland for medium vindaloo. Saag paneer was fabulous but I wondered if the kitchen ran out of bhindi. Our dish was all potatoes with hardly any bhindi in it. This is price gouging. The mixed tandoor grill was delicious. For the price, there should be more than one shrimp. I thought the quality food served had deteriorated since my last visit a year ago.Special Features:
- Standout Indian fareAvidRitaDined on 7/8/2014There is no shortage of Indian restaurants here, and we are not above a night of gloppy curry and slimy saag paneer. The food at Punjab was a cut above the rest. Didn't taste like the rogan josh was ladled from a pot where it had simmered since last week. Fresh tastes, tender meats, bright flavors. Well, the dal was a bit thin and bland; the mint chutney green a bit too bright. But even the naan was all that none should be, hot fresh from the hearty. Seating inside the beaded section is particularly pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food aroundgoodfoodgoodserviceVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food at Punjab is always exceptional - it's truly the best Indian food around. Unfortunately the other night the service did not match the quality of the food. While everything we ate was delicious, our waiter was often nowhere to be found and delivered our desserts before he cleared the leftover entrees off the table! And then they added an automatic 18% tip to our bill because there were 7 of us... We often just get takeout from here so I don't know if this is the new norm for service or if we hit them on a bad night. I'm hoping it was an off night.Special Features:
- best Indian restaurantebidgeDined on 6/6/2014Punjab has the tastiest Indian food I've ever had. Our server was not only efficient, she was also warm and friendly. The decor is also very nice.Special Features:
- Great FoodSallDined on 5/18/2014We think this is the best Indian food in the Boston area! The service is a bit spotty but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Great for a large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014We had a great time at Punjab with a group of 10: excellent and patient service, convivial atmosphere, good food and drink (which was as spicy as requested). Highly recommended for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, complex tastesBirchie7Dined on 5/15/2014Fine shared dinners for discerning diners with different taste preferences. Around the corner from Regent Theater.Special Features:
- Highly recommend this placeMeatloverDined on 5/11/2014Had all vegetarian dishes. Great food! What more need I say... :)Special Features:
- Dining at Punjab is always a win.PcostaDined on 5/11/2014I have been coming to Punjab for 8 years and I always leave satisfied. The food is delicious — you can taste the quality and frehness of the ingredients in every bite. I especially recommend the curries, and vegetarian options are aplenty. And oh — lunch is a steal. The service great too; our waiter was attentive, we did not wait long for our meal, and the staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014My family has been going to Punjab for several years and have always enjoyed the food. However, over the past year the service has really gone downhill. It seems the wait staff isn't trained properly. We've waited too long for the main meal and for our drinks. Additionally, my wife has bad luck with the wine. It seems every time she orders a glass of red, it is sour and she requests another glass from the most recently opened bottle.Special Features:
- Great Local Indian FoodTravelerDined on 4/29/2014Excellent and varied menu. Wait staff is knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. A place where one can dine formally, and often quietly, in a warm informal setting. I intend to be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as Always!GemfinderDined on 4/26/2014I was already sold on this place. I have been here several times, and have NEVER been disappointed. I thought I would share this gem with others. They were very pleased as well. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful, which made our dining experience even more enjoyable. She actually talked us into dessert, which I had never had there and it was pretty amazing. Overall, great experience and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 294 reviews are from the Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- disasterbluenoserDined on 3/22/2014I've eaten at Punjab about a half dozen times but never again. Seated at 7:30, we didn't get served until 9:20. Utterly incompetent and lying staff. Never have I ever received such poor and indifferent service.
- Girls Night OutSuzyDined on 3/6/2014I meet my girlfriends for dinner about 4x/year and we always enjoy ourselves but that is easy when we select Punjab b/c the food is always excellent, the wait staff is courteous and respects our time together and limits interruptions.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodPattyPVIPDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed a late lunch, and the service and food were excellent. Attentive wait staff (we never had empty glasses). Dhosas were especially delicious. We ordered a hot/spicy lamb saagwala, and it wasn't especially hot, but the spice in every dish was well balanced. We'd eat here again!Special Features:
- Best standard Indian food aroundloonDined on 2/1/2014Of those restaurants with a more or less standard American Indian menu Punjab is about the best. There are a couple of better places with unique, "gourmet" menus, but outside of them you can't beat Punjab;.
- Excellent Indian farefountDined on 1/31/2014The food is excellent, and the menu includes Indian dishes I've not seen at other restaurants, and it is reasonably priced. The interior design is understated and cozy, cleverly separating diners from the bar area and its TVs. The wait staff is attentive and friendly. We had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, decent priceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/30/2014Good Indian food at decent price. Great variety. Spicy if you want to. Great Indian deserts as well.
- CravingRosieDined on 1/24/2014Satisfies your craving for Indian food. Nothing unusual or unique, just good flavors and friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/7/2014The chicken tikka masala and the naan bread are addictive there!Special Features:
- Best Indian in BostonSallDined on 12/20/2013This is not French cooking, but it is the very best Indian food in the Greater Boston area. We try others, but keep coming back over and over.Special Features:
- Food is great, drinks even betterLBeeDined on 12/20/2013Punjab is the best Indian restaurant in the Metro West area of Boston. The food is second to none, and the menu has more to offer than most. The surprising bonus is that they also have a great drinks menu. Try the Mangorita with your spicy Indian cuisine - not too sweet, it's cold and refreshing and you taste the tequila. Top that off with the nicest wait staff and you have a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!NickDined on 12/14/2013Our party of 6 enjoyed appetizers, breads and 5 great entrees to share. Punjab always does an excellen job on everything they put on the table. Fresh and clean flavors were the order of the day. Our only disappointment was their unwillingness to make a special order of chili pepper naan (it is not on their menu). Other than that we would highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Punjab, one year later.johnm1888Dined on 12/13/2013Having run the gauntlet of curry houses in Brick Lane, East London and beyond, the wife and I are more than pleased with this establishment. We first experienced Punjab last year for our 10th anniversary and it was such a great time we did the same for our 11th. The food is fresh and authentic, the staff could not have been more considerate and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. And what may become my favorite mixed drink of all time, the "Punjabi Summertime" was a brilliant night-cap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian foodNewtoniteDined on 12/8/2013Good meal. Fun watching the tandoori oven. Love the South Indian food which is not often available. Major complaint was service. Despite the restaurant being quite empty we were initially seated in a thoroughfare and only on request were we seated in the back. Also took awhile to get the attention of a waiter to get our checkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant, a formerdrhsVIPDined on 12/7/2013This restaurant, a former favorite, has decreased both food service and food quality. They clearly cannot handle a busy Saturday night with reduced staff.
- Party of 6sjr13Dined on 11/23/2013I was able to get a table for 6 people on a Saturday night, without any problem. The food was delicious. My husband and I shared the Chicken Curry, Chicken Tikka Marsala, and Garlic Naan - which were all fabulous. Once our party all arrived, however, it took about 20 minutes for someone to visit our table and even bring us menus and take a drink order. We made sure to order our food as soon as our drinks returned, just in case there was another long delay. There were also long periods between checking in at the table, refilling waters, ordering a second round of drinks, etc. Maybe it's European style service?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2013I could eat here every night. Consistently delicious, hot food. Consistently attentive, friendly wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid Indian FareOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/10/2013Thoroughly enjoyed our first dining experience at Punjab; will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian Restaurant in ArlingtoNickDined on 10/19/2013Punjab has taken over as our favorite Indian place. We used to go to Cambridge with excellent results but find this place a touch better. I think the best way to describe it is that all of there sauces are "cleaner." By that I mean each sauce is distinct and different. Five of us went last Saturday and each ordered something different (we shared!). The goat curry, chicken tikka masala, lamb josht, shrimp vindaloo and duck kebab were so tasty that we didn't have anything left to bring home! The appetizer plate with Papdum and two different Naans all disappeared. I lert my credit card behind by mistake and when I called to see if they found it they cheerfully mailed it to my home. Great people and excellen food.Special Features:
- 6 for dinnerEKZooVIPDined on 10/13/2013Everyone ordered a different dish and we all shared. We enjoyed it all.
- Delicious food, wide-ranging menuDaveDined on 10/7/2013I've dined in many Indian restaurants, and was thrilled to find new delicious items on Punjab's menu. Everything was tasty and enjoyable. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service wasPb2356VIPDined on 10/2/2013Good food but service was slow and it was a week nightI would recommend this to a friend.
- Best korma ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/17/2013I took my friend here for her birthday. She eats a LOT of Indian food, and she just raved about the korma here (she got one of the veggie dishes). It was the best korma I've ever had, too. I got the saag paneer, which was fine but a little bland (it seemed to have more flavor as leftovers 2 days later). The plain naan was also very good - nice and buttery. It's a nice atmosphere - spacious layout, and one of the nicest Indian restaurants I've been to (I usually find them to be decorated rather blandly, or a bit overly ornate).I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hitJaimbeDined on 8/29/2013No matter if I'm stopping in for a quick bite an my way to here or there, meeting a friend for dinner, or accommodating a larger group before an event, my experiences here have been nothing but wonderful. The food is always good, if you've not had Indian food you need not worry what to start with. Medium hot is tastefully spivey, go from there :) The Masala (chai) 'tea' is beautifully spiced and since they offer a rock candy sugar stick you can decided how sweet to make it, if at all ;) There's nothing like a dosa for lunch! Namaste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food-perfect for sharinggreenshamroxDined on 8/16/2013We had a large party of 12, and the service was both fast and attentive. After sharing a few appetizer platters, we each ordered our own entree, which were all big enough for passing around and having everyone try something new. We had some people with us whose first time it was eating Indian cuisine- and the meal was exemplary of the variety and sheer tastiness that the style has to offer. The Biryani, Korma, and naan were all to die for. The channa bhaturi was also fantastic- and the bhaturi came out as two enormous puffs- everyone at the table wanted to pop them and try some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pakora HeavenSallDined on 7/13/2013The food was exceptional, especially the vegetable pakoras and the korma sauce. The only disappointment was the meat samosas. They were so bland that they were almost tasteless. I have been many times to this restaurant and love it.Special Features:
- good mealWantedToBeWowedVIPDined on 7/4/2013We enjoyed our meal, liked the ambiance in the center of the restaurant (they have a nice setup that is surprisingly private seeming considering the size of the restaurant). We got the veg app platter, the yellow dal meal, a chickpea meal and two lamb meals. We loved the veg options and our friends enjoyed their lamb options but said they wished they had known their options would be dry (not like stewed lamb). Service was pretty attentive. Only annoyance was that despite my making a reservation through Opentable & checking in with the front desk when I arrived, they did not check our reservation in. Luckily OT was able to work with the restaurant to resolve this so I did get my points but it was a little annoying.
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/16/2013This was the best dining experience I've had in a long time. The ambiance was wonderful, the wait staff exceptional, and the food was perfect! But the best part was how well they handled multiple food allergies (dairy, nuts, eggs, sesame seed, coconut) with knowledge and care making us feel totally comfortable while choosing from the dozen or more allergy friendly dishes. We've definitely found our new favorite restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Local Indian FoodJulieDined on 6/9/2013Punjab boasts the best Indian food in the area. Plenty of excellent vegetarian selections as well. Even the mild has a little kick, so you can enjoy the spiciness without being overwhelmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.