Punjab Indian Restaurant
485 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02474Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Punjab Indian Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.punjabarlington.com/
- Phone: (781) 643-0943
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Punjab Indian Restaurant
Since opening in 1999, Punjab restaurant has garnered rave reviews for quality and execution of our superb Indian cuisine. Only the freshest and highest quality ingredients are used to prepare it. Our staff is always friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And you are always welcome here.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (16)special occasion (9)great for lunch (5)romantic (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (2)Show More
- a regular here - high quality fooddesifoodieDined on 11/14/2014impeccable service and good food, we go here about 2-3 times a year for fine dining. This time we brought our parents, the food overall is very good. My only issue was one of the appetizers this time was not at all authentic, we had to send it back, and the chef tried making it again for us, which was much better. but as I said, the service was really very good. Also, when we ordered kulfi for dessert, I think they don't make their own, as it tasted surprisingly what we get from a local ice cream place like rancatore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ejnordDined on 10/30/2014The food was excellent and the wait staff was very adept at helping navigate the menu and making suggestions. My Indian colleague, who just arrived from India, thought the food was very good. He was very impressed with the restaurant. I liked it so much that I will bring my family back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/25/2014We love the food at Punjab, but the service needs attention. We did a lot of waiting from the time we were seated to the time we waited for the check. It probably would not of been so bad if the seats were comfortable. I think I'd go back for lunch, hoping to be in and out of there within an hour or less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice interior, slow servicetdk64Dined on 10/24/2014Visited this week with my family. We were put in far corner under a speaker- we have kids, I get it. But it was impossible getting a waiter to just refill water. The Vindaloo was not spicy at all, though i asked for hot. The food overall was good, the naan was very good. Ambiance inside is nice.
- First TimerkarengennnyDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I wanted to take our adult daughter out to celebrate her upcoming birthday. As Indian cuisine is her favorite - and ours - I visited Open Table to find an Indian restaurant close to where my daughter works and lives. What a great selection I made! We loved the look of the restaurant - so comfortable and welcoming - we loved our waitress - who was both attentive and yet did not rush us. The food was amazing and we have eaten Indian food at many different restaurants. This was one of the best. We do not live in Boston, but our daughter does and we know that she will be visiting Punjab Restaurant again and again.Special Features:
- Quite pricy, average foodKurtDined on 10/10/2014Cold appetizers were terrible, entrees were good but not great. Overall, I feel that at $35/person the meal was quite pricy , for average quality Indian food.
- Punjab takerickVIPDined on 9/30/2014The Punjab version of Indian food is very good. The one item I did not think was very good was the nan. The other dishes were of adequate size and very nicely seasoned. I expected the duck to be more interesting than it turned out to be. I will try and order mostly vegetarian next time we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reliably greatLBeeDined on 9/27/2014Punjab has been a family favorite for years and they never disappoint. Wonderful food, great service, and surprisingly excellent drinks from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good indian varietypublicusVIPDined on 9/26/2014good variety//good quality control//good atmosphere//fair service. a definite good choice for indian with a better than average ambienceSpecial Features:
- Great food !GrammyDined on 9/6/2014Always deliciously, wonderful. We had a terrific, young woman server. She was happy,friendly and had great food suggestions.Special Features:
- Really the best.eDitsVIPDined on 8/28/2014Weird, but the best indiN food I've had is not in Cambridge or Boston. It's in Arlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome......OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Awesome as usual.....only minor issue, the waiters understanding of the english language was limit, took several attempts to order food.....not a huge deal. We have been coming here for a long time and the food is always great......Thanks again.Special Features:
- The following 307 reviews are from the Punjab Indian Restaurant reviews archive.
- Used to be my favorite Indian RTrinichapDined on 7/25/2014Lamb curry had six dry tasteless and smaller than bite sized pieces drowning in a sea of curry sauce that left an unpleasant taste. Too bland for medium vindaloo. Saag paneer was fabulous but I wondered if the kitchen ran out of bhindi. Our dish was all potatoes with hardly any bhindi in it. This is price gouging. The mixed tandoor grill was delicious. For the price, there should be more than one shrimp. I thought the quality food served had deteriorated since my last visit a year ago.Special Features:
- Standout Indian fareAvidRitaDined on 7/8/2014There is no shortage of Indian restaurants here, and we are not above a night of gloppy curry and slimy saag paneer. The food at Punjab was a cut above the rest. Didn't taste like the rogan josh was ladled from a pot where it had simmered since last week. Fresh tastes, tender meats, bright flavors. Well, the dal was a bit thin and bland; the mint chutney green a bit too bright. But even the naan was all that none should be, hot fresh from the hearty. Seating inside the beaded section is particularly pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian food aroundgoodfoodgoodserviceVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food at Punjab is always exceptional - it's truly the best Indian food around. Unfortunately the other night the service did not match the quality of the food. While everything we ate was delicious, our waiter was often nowhere to be found and delivered our desserts before he cleared the leftover entrees off the table! And then they added an automatic 18% tip to our bill because there were 7 of us... We often just get takeout from here so I don't know if this is the new norm for service or if we hit them on a bad night. I'm hoping it was an off night.Special Features:
- best Indian restaurantebidgeDined on 6/6/2014Punjab has the tastiest Indian food I've ever had. Our server was not only efficient, she was also warm and friendly. The decor is also very nice.Special Features:
- Great FoodSallDined on 5/18/2014We think this is the best Indian food in the Boston area! The service is a bit spotty but the food more than makes up for it.Special Features:
- Great for a large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014We had a great time at Punjab with a group of 10: excellent and patient service, convivial atmosphere, good food and drink (which was as spicy as requested). Highly recommended for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, complex tastesBirchie7Dined on 5/15/2014Fine shared dinners for discerning diners with different taste preferences. Around the corner from Regent Theater.Special Features:
- Highly recommend this placeMeatloverDined on 5/11/2014Had all vegetarian dishes. Great food! What more need I say... :)Special Features:
- Dining at Punjab is always a win.PcostaDined on 5/11/2014I have been coming to Punjab for 8 years and I always leave satisfied. The food is delicious — you can taste the quality and frehness of the ingredients in every bite. I especially recommend the curries, and vegetarian options are aplenty. And oh — lunch is a steal. The service great too; our waiter was attentive, we did not wait long for our meal, and the staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014My family has been going to Punjab for several years and have always enjoyed the food. However, over the past year the service has really gone downhill. It seems the wait staff isn't trained properly. We've waited too long for the main meal and for our drinks. Additionally, my wife has bad luck with the wine. It seems every time she orders a glass of red, it is sour and she requests another glass from the most recently opened bottle.Special Features:
- Wonderful neighborhood restaurantquietDined on 5/4/2014This restaurant never disappoints. We have consistently enjoyed dining here. The food is great, and the restaurant is very pleasant. It is comfortable, the service very good, and not too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Local Indian FoodTravelerDined on 4/29/2014Excellent and varied menu. Wait staff is knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. A place where one can dine formally, and often quietly, in a warm informal setting. I intend to be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as Always!GemfinderDined on 4/26/2014I was already sold on this place. I have been here several times, and have NEVER been disappointed. I thought I would share this gem with others. They were very pleased as well. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful, which made our dining experience even more enjoyable. She actually talked us into dessert, which I had never had there and it was pretty amazing. Overall, great experience and will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disasterbluenoserDined on 3/22/2014I've eaten at Punjab about a half dozen times but never again. Seated at 7:30, we didn't get served until 9:20. Utterly incompetent and lying staff. Never have I ever received such poor and indifferent service.
- Girls Night OutSuzyDined on 3/6/2014I meet my girlfriends for dinner about 4x/year and we always enjoy ourselves but that is easy when we select Punjab b/c the food is always excellent, the wait staff is courteous and respects our time together and limits interruptions.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodPattyPVIPDined on 2/22/2014We enjoyed a late lunch, and the service and food were excellent. Attentive wait staff (we never had empty glasses). Dhosas were especially delicious. We ordered a hot/spicy lamb saagwala, and it wasn't especially hot, but the spice in every dish was well balanced. We'd eat here again!Special Features:
- Best standard Indian food aroundloonDined on 2/1/2014Of those restaurants with a more or less standard American Indian menu Punjab is about the best. There are a couple of better places with unique, "gourmet" menus, but outside of them you can't beat Punjab;.
- Excellent Indian farefountDined on 1/31/2014The food is excellent, and the menu includes Indian dishes I've not seen at other restaurants, and it is reasonably priced. The interior design is understated and cozy, cleverly separating diners from the bar area and its TVs. The wait staff is attentive and friendly. We had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, decent priceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/30/2014Good Indian food at decent price. Great variety. Spicy if you want to. Great Indian deserts as well.
- CravingRosieDined on 1/24/2014Satisfies your craving for Indian food. Nothing unusual or unique, just good flavors and friendly service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/7/2014The chicken tikka masala and the naan bread are addictive there!Special Features:
- Best Indian in BostonSallDined on 12/20/2013This is not French cooking, but it is the very best Indian food in the Greater Boston area. We try others, but keep coming back over and over.Special Features:
- Food is great, drinks even betterLBeeDined on 12/20/2013Punjab is the best Indian restaurant in the Metro West area of Boston. The food is second to none, and the menu has more to offer than most. The surprising bonus is that they also have a great drinks menu. Try the Mangorita with your spicy Indian cuisine - not too sweet, it's cold and refreshing and you taste the tequila. Top that off with the nicest wait staff and you have a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!NickDined on 12/14/2013Our party of 6 enjoyed appetizers, breads and 5 great entrees to share. Punjab always does an excellen job on everything they put on the table. Fresh and clean flavors were the order of the day. Our only disappointment was their unwillingness to make a special order of chili pepper naan (it is not on their menu). Other than that we would highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Punjab, one year later.johnm1888Dined on 12/13/2013Having run the gauntlet of curry houses in Brick Lane, East London and beyond, the wife and I are more than pleased with this establishment. We first experienced Punjab last year for our 10th anniversary and it was such a great time we did the same for our 11th. The food is fresh and authentic, the staff could not have been more considerate and the atmosphere is warm and welcoming. And what may become my favorite mixed drink of all time, the "Punjabi Summertime" was a brilliant night-cap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian foodNewtoniteDined on 12/8/2013Good meal. Fun watching the tandoori oven. Love the South Indian food which is not often available. Major complaint was service. Despite the restaurant being quite empty we were initially seated in a thoroughfare and only on request were we seated in the back. Also took awhile to get the attention of a waiter to get our checkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant, a formerdrhsVIPDined on 12/7/2013This restaurant, a former favorite, has decreased both food service and food quality. They clearly cannot handle a busy Saturday night with reduced staff.
- Party of 6sjr13Dined on 11/23/2013I was able to get a table for 6 people on a Saturday night, without any problem. The food was delicious. My husband and I shared the Chicken Curry, Chicken Tikka Marsala, and Garlic Naan - which were all fabulous. Once our party all arrived, however, it took about 20 minutes for someone to visit our table and even bring us menus and take a drink order. We made sure to order our food as soon as our drinks returned, just in case there was another long delay. There were also long periods between checking in at the table, refilling waters, ordering a second round of drinks, etc. Maybe it's European style service?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.