1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 545-4448
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)neighborhood gem (84)romantic (58)special occasion (45)hot spot (9)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Local favoriteSnoopyDined on 11/15/2014This restaurant had interesting food presented in a pleasant way. It is a BYOB so even tho the entrees run about $30. the cost is manageable. There are not a lot of menu times but what they have is prepared well and seems fresh. The restaurant is very small which keeps the noise down. The wait staff were pleasant and did a good job. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReliableSteveVIPDined on 11/14/2014We've been to Pumpkin several times and it's been very consistently excellent. The menu is small, but it changes frequently and the dishes are inventive and delicious. Last night we split a salad that included a coddled egg on top, perfectly cooked. She had striped bass and I had scallops with bacon. But the bacon was really a big piece of pork belly and the scallops were huge divers. It's BYOB but they have really nice wine glasses and there's no charge for corking and pouring. Be sure to impute the wine cost when calculating your tip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- commamommacommamommaDined on 11/6/2014Outstanding, creative food! Wonderful presentation! Small restaurant with personal attention. We had to be at a concert, and the staff made sure we would be on time. Love that it is a BYOB!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BritinBucksDined on 11/5/2014The meal was very good and the service by Michael was the best. We both started with the Pumpkin soup which was really tasty and creamy (but made that way through pureeing the vegetable and without adding heavy cream). I had the Pork two ways and my only complaint was that the serving was too big. The Fennel sausage was tasty but there were two large pieces of pork on the plate and it was too much. My friend had the mussels which she said were very good and the broth very good. We shared the pineapple upside down cake for dessert and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Quaint Spotjd5339Dined on 10/30/2014Very adorable place with only about space for 25-30 people. BYOB is always a favorite option for me when going to dinner, and I LOVE SEASONAL MENUS! It lets me know that the food being cooked is fresh and available. I would love to go back again for the winter! Very cozy, warm and an inviting staff.Special Features:
- The wait is over....CandyGirlVIPDined on 10/29/2014I've been telling myself to go here for years. Steven took great care of us. I especially liked the pumpkin soup. The burrata had the mild flavor and texture of a loose mozzarella a nice complement to the pears. The pork two ways was a vague enough description so they could switch it up without having to change the menu. Tasty, but I'm not a huge fan of pork. The strip steak was nicely done - per the chef's recommendation. My favorite had to be the pineapple upside down cake with the coconut sorbet. The pot de crème was very rich, by then I was done. Plan on going back for the November menu.Special Features:
- Sunday night price fixe delightPhillyFillyDined on 10/26/2014Review for Sunday's $40 five course price fixe. Each course was excellently prepared and presented. My dining companion does not eat pork, which was included in both second course options. The kitchen prepared a dish without pork. Pace yourself to have room for the tasty dessert! Bringing your own wine makes this for a reasonable fine dining experience. We were able to quietly converse the whole time in the cozy restaurant. Cash only...don't forget cash for tax and tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Maxine20VIPDined on 10/23/2014Really great place - dinner was fantastic. Service was great. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still dreaming about pot de cremeGigiDined on 10/19/2014Pumpkin was outstanding. Five stars all around. I see why they fill up so fast. The restaurant is a converted house so the dining room is super tiny and intimate. My boyfriend and I went for his birthday. We had the prix fine menu on Sunday. Where do I begin? We loved every dish, particularly the malted milk pot de creme with banana custard. That was the best dessert we had ever had (if Chef is reading this, we would love the recipe :-) They brought us candles in our dessert which was a nice touch (nice to know they read all reservation notes). For $40, we were blown away by the quality and quantity of food we got. Fresh ingredients, no bells and whistles, simply great food. Thank you Pumpkin for keepin it real!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint and delicious!lovefoodDined on 10/15/2014Lovely atmosphere and incredible tastes for every course. I took my daughter here for her birthday celebration dinner, it was perfect for chatting and having a relaxed and delicious meal. Very unusual combinations blended beautifully and appetizingly presented. Portions were more than generous- we both took some of our main course home. We will definitely return, especially knowing the menu will change with the seasons and no doubt the food will be wonderful!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING AND SURPRISINGelaineVIPDined on 10/12/2014What a wonderful place! An excellent dinner in a lovely environment. Although we live only blocks away, we had never been to Pumpkin. We made a reservation for our anniversary and were reminded that it is a BYOB. Apparently on Sunday there is a multi-course prix-fixe dinner which we ordered. Each dish was wonderful to taste and beautifully presented. Everything was fresh and special to the season. Also, this was the first time in a long time that we can remember being able to talk without yelling across a table. Such a pleasant experience. We can't wait to go back again! Recommend without any reservations! (Pardon the pun)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Sunday Prix FixeNightOutDined on 10/5/2014We went to Pumpkin for the Sunday Prix Fixe, 5 courses for $40. Every dish was an appropriate size, fresh, and delicious. You can check out the menu online to see whether you like the choices for that Sunday. Food is seasonal so the best ingredients seem to be used. The waitstaff was attentive without being bothersome. We enjoyed the experience a great deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousPhilly1foodDined on 10/4/2014The food was beautiful. We shared an appeteizer and also split a desert and it was very affordable for a date. The risotto and burrata with heirloom app was incredible. The apples in the pork two-ways tasted like campfire. So good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findChris77Dined on 10/4/2014The menu was limited in choices, but our party chose a variety of appetizers and entrees. Each was absolutely delicious!Special Features:
- A very nice mealPenndocDined on 10/3/2014We had a before show meal and we're not disappointed. The service was appropriately attentive, but not intrusive. The food was delicious and presented nicely. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!foodieDined on 9/19/2014Although I only experienced the restaurant week menu, all of the food was excellent. I will definitely be back sometime soon.Special Features:
- RickRVIPDined on 9/7/2014First time visit to pumpkin for a special birthday during restaurant week. Really great experience - food incredible and the service was wonderful. Awesome BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week experience!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/7/2014Finally decided to try Pumpkin with my friend during restaurant week in Philly and loved it! I had the squid, risotto and malted milk pot de creme for dessert. I loved all my dishes! I thought the couscous risotto was delicious and I have never had anything like it before! The food however left me super thirsty because it was definitely on the saltier side. I would definitely go back to Pumpkin during a different time to try their regular menu items. Also, it's one of the tiniest restaurants I have ever been to and I think that's what makes it feel so special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placegardenerDined on 8/31/2014Food is excellent, we went for the Prix Fix on Sunday. there were 5 courses for $40.00, plenty of variety in the meal, plenty of flavorful food... Service was excellent, the wait staff was very informative on the contents of the dishes, how they were put together and the ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMommybunny21Dined on 8/24/2014We did the Sunday night $40 dinner...absolutely fabulous!Special Features:
- Wonderful Night outFoodMonkeyVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversery at Pumpkin on a Saturday night. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The menu while not exstensive was interesting and fun, and the food was excellent!!! I can find nothing negative to say about our entire experience, from the excellent service to the wonderful meal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- delicious BYOBCLM32Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went there for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. The menu is very small but everything we ordered was delicious. Tried octopus and skate for the first time and both were great. The menu changes monthly so we'll definitely be back again to try something new. Would recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Pumpkin is one of the best BYOs in the city, and never disappoints.Special Features:
- excellent dinnercleggfanDined on 8/21/2014I had the skate and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. My dining companion also felt his steak was amazing. I got lots of points for choosing this restaurant, which despite it being a Thursday, got very, very crowded as the evening wore on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJessaVIPDined on 8/17/2014We did the Sunday prix-fixe dinner and it was outstanding. Great value, we brought our own wine and no corkage fee. Server was wonderful and kept our wine chilled in the back room for us until our glasses needed refilling. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pumpkin, sorry Charlie BrownPhillyDinerDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed the pork and salmon dishes for main course. The dining room is rather small and intimate - perfect for important, romantic dates; cap at four diners. Service is prompt and pleasant. The menu is short, perhaps four entrees. I'd suggest reservations because of the small dining room, and it is popular. It is a BYOB, but they do uncork your bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Masterful MenuivyLDined on 8/16/2014As a farm to table restaurant that locally sources many of its ingredients, Pumpkin has been high on my list of places to try for some time. We finally went this weekend and boy am I glad we did. Everything on the menu was flavorful and well-prepared. My husband's grilled rock octopus was delicately flavored and the chicken liver risotto I was dubious about trying was one of the stars of the evening. The salmon and beef were equally well prepared and my side of tomatoes were simply but carefully done. Pumpkin sources the freshest ingredients and lets those flavors shine. We had a wonderful meal and would return again for a romantic evening or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood findmjcn62VIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a great dinner overall! specially the octopus appetizer. All the ingredients were so fresh tasting! the menu is small but very well balanced. Its always nice to be able to bring your own bottle too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Chef TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/7/2014Chef Ian + Crew put together a stellar 9 course tasting menu that screamed Summer and worked perfectly with an all-white-wine selection. Our wine group appreciated well-spaced and timed plating in addition to casual, friendly and professional service by Mike and Mike. Dishes were artfully presented and full of flavor. Green Gazpacho, cured Sockeye salmon, skate w/corn velouté shined. Special request dishes like squid ink pasta with uni + homemade corn ice cream were spectacular. A beautiful and warm dining room is the perfect setting for such a dining experience. Owners Ian and Hillary are down-to-Earth, passionate business owners. There's a reason Pumpkin celebrates 10 years in biz in September. Kudos to the team for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!CJCbostonVIPDined on 7/30/2014Thanks OT - for a great find. I love the Philly BYOB tradition - for those of us who have a certain wine in mind and enjoy paying retail rather than some multiple above it. The food here was all total excellence. Beautifully plated as well. Depth of flavors. Attentive server with style. We went one evening and were the last to dine and enjoyed all that we had. Looking forward to another visit.Special Features:
- wonderful taste experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014pumpkin provides delicious adventurous food combinations. very inspiring for my home cooking. We took the Sunday 40-dollar menu and were f.e. surprised with a green herbs and avocado gazpacho, and white tuna with brown beans (all great combinations). great place to dine!Special Features:
- Fresh Food for Foodieskjtravelers63Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant offer a limited but extremely interesting seasonal/fresh ingredient options for appetizers, entrees and desserts. Just an overall fabulous experience despite somewhat cramped quarters. Despite small-sized dining room footprint the atmosphere and overall dining experience for us was superb. service is very attentive but not over-bearing - if you like good food and BYOB then you need to try this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great choice for BYOBSteveVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is our favorite BYOB restaurant in Phila. The food is inventive and delicious. With a limited selection (abt 4 entrees), each dish is perfected. They change the menu monthly. This month our choices were Berkshire pork (fantastic!), beef, skate, Alaskan salmon. We shared the warm escarole salad with coddled egg (delightful), and had pineapple upside down cake for desert. They had proper glasses for our sparkling wine, and the service was attentive and friendly. Note: cash only.Special Features:
- The following 731 reviews are from the Pumpkin BYOB reviews archive.
- Great last night in Philly dinner!!loveretirementDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I did the 5 course tasting menu on Sunday evening, a pretty good value for $40, especially since you bring your own wine. The server suggested we order both dishes as some courses had 2 choices, and that way to taste everything. Wonderful suggestion! All courses were fresh and tasty. Especially loved the whipped goat's milk cheese served with tomatoes and olives and the pork loin entrée with buttermilk. For us the standout dessert was the almond cake served with fresh peaches and ice cream, so delicious. Glad we had a 10 block walk to our hotel as we both left stuffed! Cute little place, maybe only 8 or 9 tables. Pumpkins seeds given at checkout were enjoyed a few days after our visit, reminding us of our great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IronwolfVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everything at Pumpkin is done with TLC, creativity and thoughtfulness. The food is fresh and interesting, combining unusual flavors that work incredibly well togther. The portion sizes are perfect. The atmosphere is intimate and unrushed, and the service attentive. A wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- mavenmargieVIPDined on 7/13/2014always outstanding. recently went to the prix fixe sunday night dinner. excellent and a true bargain.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 7/12/2014I had another perfect meal at Pumpkin BYOB. What is amazing about Pumpkin is that the appetizer, entree, and desserts are exceptional. I had octopus, sockeye salmon, while my wife had the risotto followed by the pork rib. We share the blueberry clafoutis which was off the charts. Pumpkin is consistently excellent and I strongly urge you to enjoy this neighbor gem if you consider yourself a lover of the exquisite food.Special Features:
- ExcellentLisaBDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience at Pumpkin. I tried octopus for the first time and I only wish there was more! It was perfect. Presentations were outstanding. Our server was very sweet and informative. She answered all of our many questions. My husband and I like most foods so it was easy for us but if you are a picky eater it could be a tough menu for you to find something. Limited menu but the ingredients were super fresh and interesting combinations full of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better and betterJonWVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my fifth time here - I think the food has improved as well as the delivery - this is one of the few places I almost wish was a little larger- I worry the place can't make enough money, given the small size of the dining roomSpecial Features:
- The food is outstanding!hayley3390VIPDined on 7/10/2014This place is great for a romantic date night. The food was some of the most flavorful I've had in a long time. I had the gazpacho for my first course, which was light, refreshing, and just what I wanted on a summer night. I then had the salmon, which was cooked to perfection, and was a perfect portion size. I left feeling satisfied, but not over-stuffed, and had a wonderful evening.Special Features: