1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 545-4448
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (84)romantic (65)special occasion (51)hot spot (10)good for groups (6)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Top 5 in Philly - Love itBWPhillyVIPDined on 4/12/2014Pumpkin is a wonderful 'little' restaurant. It is the perfect representation of everything right about the BYO scene in Philadelphia. A beautiful small restaurant with exceptional food. The menu us "limited" (4x main course dishes), but my wife and I were disappointed we couldn't order all 4. they do a terrific job with their food. This is my 3rd time there and each time has been very special. One of my favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth you time and money. Yummy!EstroVIPDined on 4/9/2014I've heard good recommendation about Pumpkin. I have no idea why I've waited so long until today to go there. It's such a waste I haven't tried this place till now. The food is VERY good. Classic but original. Every bite you take is an experience for you senses. The service was professional, warm and attentive. They always made sure nothing is missing but it didn't feel they're hovering over us. The place is designed beautifully and it contributed to the lovely experience we had thanks to the great service and food. My only recommendation is that the bread (which was tasty on its own but especially tasty with the garlic oil) will be served warm. But that's a small thing to the great flavors we've enjoyed there. I will be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food tasting menu wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2014The food tasting menu was delicious. We were a party of six and everyone enjoyed it. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Exceptional Farm-to-Table CuisineAndrewVIPDined on 4/3/2014Highly recommended. Quaint and rustic ambience with delicious American fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a little tightCannDined on 3/29/2014You will literally feel like you are having dinner with all the people surrounding you as you will be THAT packed in. But if you know this going in, the food will amaze you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening at this restaurantTRobesDined on 3/28/2014Nice evening at this restaurant but was not wowed by anything!! Menu is too small and selections few (....and I didn't expect a diner menu!!). Service was too business-like and not people friendly. Dessert was great!! Best thing about Pumpkin is that it is a BYOB. Wish more good restaurants in Phila. were BYOB.
- BYOBSeriousFoodieVIPDined on 3/27/2014A very small space and way to loud to have much conversation. The food was goid but some of the parings I thought were odd and just siddent work.Special Features:
- Side vegs a work of artOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/26/2014The striped bass and scallops were also perfectly prepared, but the accompanying vegetables were a collage of marvelous favors and colors: raw and pickled morsels of carrot, nasturtium and sorrel leaves, delicately grilled cauliflower. A culinary work of art. This is the most impressive place I've been in a long time. Exquisite attention to detail without pretension.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningRitaDined on 3/26/2014I loved this restaurant. I had an excellent vegetarian meal. One of the best I've had.Special Features:
- A tiny gemMDFoodiesVIPDined on 3/20/2014We absolutely loved out dinner at Pumpkin. My husband loved the dinner bread special, grilled Italian bread and with a rich ricotta spread and an entre that was a take off on cassoulet with baked beans, a duck leg, sausage, and meaty pork rib, with some king of bacon topping. He was in heaven. I enjoyed the mushroom salad special and the Butternut squash Romesco seafood stew. Both were excellent. While I thought the mushrooms were tasty and beautifully prepared, I question whether they were crimini as described. They seemed like regular button mushrooms. They were quite tasty none-the-less. Service was very good. We would go back to Pumpkin without question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding mealcuffthisVIPDined on 3/18/2014This was my 2nd time dining at Pumpkin and it was excellent again. I brought my chef/sommelier friend with me and we both commented on the quality of everything. The dishes were beautifully plated and the flavors were complex. The pricing was very fair. Our server was very friendly and knew the menu incredibly well. I highly recommend Pumpkin. It is a gem.Special Features:
- Best in Classdavek50Dined on 3/15/2014An outstanding place, exquisite food. The very best scallops and pork chops I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always perfectMauriceVIPDined on 3/14/2014As always, very creative menu. Never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shhh... Keep this place OUR secret!epicurasVIPDined on 3/14/2014What a wonderful little gem that needs to be kept just as it is: Wonderfully unassuming ~ and pure scrumpdeliociousness! Admittedly a tiny restaurant with a limited menu ~ but who cares if every bite is pure delight... As a BYOB restaurant, the chef and staff have more time to focus on what's important, the food. While many restaurants have to rely on the 200% booze mark-ups to get by, Pumpkin succeeds by being authentic with the quality of food and impeccable service to shine. Stand-outs? The pork terrine was to die for; the cassoulet's duck confit and smokey ribs ~ OMG. You'll want to roll in the desserts after you taste them. Just be sure to bring two (or three...) of your BEST bottles of wine. This food will stand up to it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic time at Pumpkin!jmau307Dined on 3/14/2014The food was great - very flavorful and fresh - and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPeterDined on 3/13/2014I have dined at Pumpkin several times both early and late. The food is always innovative, fresh and interesting. Excellent value, good service, you never feel rushed even if you suddenly realize you are the only table there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin has been around foreatoutVIPDined on 3/9/2014Pumpkin has been around for years - all well deserved. Menu is diverse and interesting; food is attractively presented and excellent. A definite keeper.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youDonatoDined on 3/6/2014We had an issue about a year ago with a reservation and we never rescheduled. When our bill came yesterday they took something off the bill because of what happened then. I couldn't belive they remembered, it made my night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CozyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/6/2014This place is very good for small groups (2-4 people; would be a bit too crowded for larger groups); I went with a friend to celebrate getting a job offer. Love the garlic oil (that has an actual piece of garlic in it) that goes with the bread before the meal - the bread could have been warmed up before being served though. Scallops for appetizer; steak and bass for entree. We'll definitely remember to bring our own bottle of wine next time!Special Features:
- AAAAzeeeVIPDined on 3/5/2014A really wonderful dining experience: delicious food, beautifully presented in an inviting room with impeccable service. 'Nuf said?Special Features:
- Outstanding !leo30thVIPDined on 3/1/2014What an amazing dinner experience, from start to finish! The food was outstanding, the service impeccable and friendly, and the ambience wonderful! It was our first time at this restaurant but it is now one of our favorites!!Special Features:
- super inventive food and warm welcoTobaVIPDined on 3/1/2014Uusually they have a raw fish appetizer, but this time, there was none. Instead, had to order the "fall back," perfectly cooked scallops with tiny pickled vegetables. Main course as a seafood stew in a butternut squash romescu sauce, elegant and delectable. Same for the dessert, a perfect financiere with lemon curd and fruit sauce. Perfect meal in a restaurant with a cozy ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOPhillyeaterDined on 2/28/2014I had the scallops appetizer and the butternut squash romesco stew. Both were very good, especially the stew. Not many vegetarian options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin shines in all categories.RexDVIPDined on 2/27/2014Pumpkin shines in all categories. The tasting menu is way to go. Every course is presented with utmost care and attention to detail. When each dish hits the table you feast eyes first. The presentation is perfect. You then notice the wonderful aromas tickling your nose. It's hard to not eat the dish quickly as first taste delivers so well. Lots more can be said but best to go to experience it yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu-great serviceJonWVIPDined on 2/27/2014Because Pumpkin is small, the service is superb and well-balanced. The staff is not listening to your conversations but is always ready when you want something. The chef is quite accessible.Special Features:
- Amazing food & atmosphereChipDined on 2/26/2014Great for a date or a group of friends. Great atmosphere and amazing food. Always get a great and interesting meal whenever I go and guests are always impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best chef in PhiladelphianewyorkrayVIPDined on 2/22/2014We've been to Pumpkin numerous times and Ian's food continues to astound. His use of fresh herbs where one might least expect it, his creativity with soups, and his mastery of all fish make this a must-eat restaurant for anyone who craves creative, delicious food. The service is always friendly and does a great job of presenting Ian's food. If you're traveling to Philadelphia, I urge you to make this your dinner destination. You won't regret it. We were there this weekend and the Garganelli pasta is a dish I will remember for many meals to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, healthy and fun!BeegeVIPDined on 2/22/2014Party of 4 First time dining here. Service was patient with us. Food was very good and we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Fantastic Sunday Tasting MenuKristenVIPDined on 2/16/2014This is the second time that we've tried Pumpkin's Sunday tasting and it didn't disappoint. Every course was terrific...with a choice of appetizer, main entree and dessert...and additional soup and cheese courses added to the mix. The service was attentive without feeling rushed and the restaurant is intimate, but doesn't feel crowded. It was so good, we're going back in a couple of weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BYO, Tasting Menu, and Fab Decorjav206Dined on 2/16/2014My husband and I went to Pumpkin for the Sunday Tasting Menu for a delayed Valentine's meal. What a GREAT choice! Pumpkin is a very small, but beautifully decorated BYO. Reservations are highly recommended, especially for the Sunday tasting menu. This is the best deal around for the quality and amount of food that you receive. The food was full of flavors and cooked to perfection. We were so very happy to have found this place and highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just GreatDessertFirstVIPDined on 2/14/2014Excellent Meal and fantastic service. Wondeful BYOB Would highly recommend PumpkizSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/13/2014First time dining at Pumpkin and it was very good. Very small place but very charming. Perfect for a couple. Dinner portions are not very big. On the smaller side but very fresh and high quality. The only complaint we had was the expense of dessert-ESPECIALLY for how TINY it was. Other than that, we will return again but will hold off on dessert unless price goes down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of Town Guests Wowed By PumpkinREBTDoctorVIPDined on 2/8/2014Good friends visited from out of town recently and I brought them to Pumpkin in order to show them just how good the food can be in Philadelphia. I wanted a SURE thing. Ian Moroney pulled out all the stops as the appetizers, entrees, and desserts were exquisitely prepared. We enjoyed the parsnip soup, beet salad, scallop crudo, garganelli, and grilled pork terrine for appetizers. Each appetizer was fresh and memorable. For entrees we ordered the culotte steak, cousselet, and monk fish with mussels. Everyone in our party was thoroughly satisfied by the meal. My friends marveled at the quality of the meal in such a small BYOB. If you too wish to leave an impression with your friends then I strongly suggest you make a reservation at Pumpkin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just perfect!DCfoodieDined on 2/8/2014I had a wonderful experience at Pumpkin- delicious food and excellent service. I was visiting from the DC area and I am rarely disappointed in Philly restaurants! We had the grilled bread with goat cheese spread, butternut squash stew with scallops and fish and mussels and finished with the malted chocolate dessert- heaven!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A South Street GemprixfixefanDined on 2/7/2014Great romantic little spot. We loved the intimacy of the dining space. The food is fresh and peppered with classics. Prices are incredibly reasonable (under a $100 and we got 4 courses). Well worth a return trip. Need to know: BYOB, Cash only. Need to eat: Menu changes, but never ignore the chef's additions to the menu for the day. Pot de creme on the dessert menu is to die for. This place has been open for 10 years, and I can't believe I've only just found out about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitorOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 2/5/2014Small intimate dining room with attentive yet not overbearing staff who were knowledgeable about the menu, spot on with silver service, and perfect with our (BYO) wine. We paid $55 per head for appetizer/salad, entrée and dessert and coffee. I have to say that the service and food was worth every penny if not more. The attention to local and in season was evident, and the chef and staff did a great job presenting it. The ingredients were front and center, which is the great when the ingredients were as good as these. I look forward to returning as the season changes. Parking is easy in the lot across the street if you're coming from the burbs as we did.Special Features:
- awesome!!!!!phillyDined on 2/2/2014We had never been there before but went during restaurant week. My husband loved it soooo much that we went again the following night. He only wanted to repeat his experience. I on the other hand ordered different dishes and still had an amazing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014I never expect much when it comes to restaurant week and actually booked this reservation not knowing they were participating. But the food was absolutely amazing - far beyond my expectations. Will definitely go back when it's not restaurant week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding, again!Sufjan89VIPDined on 2/1/2014This place is my go-to spot for special occasions with my girlfriend. Anniversary, Christmas, date night... We love how creative and delicious the food is, plus it's BYOB. The hardest part about going here is snagging a reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent little spotPhillyJZDined on 1/31/2014My girl and I went for restaurant week and the food was outstanding. The dishes were unique, fresh and seasonal. The restaurant week selections catered towards traditional to slightly adventurous taste buds. The staff was attentive and on point, and the restaurant itself is small and rustic. We really enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.