1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 545-4448
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (109)neighborhood gem (85)romantic (65)special occasion (51)hot spot (10)good for groups (7)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- A Perfect MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 7/12/2014I had another perfect meal at Pumpkin BYOB. What is amazing about Pumpkin is that the appetizer, entree, and desserts are exceptional. I had octopus, sockeye salmon, while my wife had the risotto followed by the pork rib. We share the blueberry clafoutis which was off the charts. Pumpkin is consistently excellent and I strongly urge you to enjoy this neighbor gem if you consider yourself a lover of the exquisite food.Special Features:
- ExcellentLisaBDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience at Pumpkin. I tried octopus for the first time and I only wish there was more! It was perfect. Presentations were outstanding. Our server was very sweet and informative. She answered all of our many questions. My husband and I like most foods so it was easy for us but if you are a picky eater it could be a tough menu for you to find something. Limited menu but the ingredients were super fresh and interesting combinations full of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better and betterJonWVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my fifth time here - I think the food has improved as well as the delivery - this is one of the few places I almost wish was a little larger- I worry the place can't make enough money, given the small size of the dining roomSpecial Features:
- The food is outstanding!hayley3390VIPDined on 7/10/2014This place is great for a romantic date night. The food was some of the most flavorful I've had in a long time. I had the gazpacho for my first course, which was light, refreshing, and just what I wanted on a summer night. I then had the salmon, which was cooked to perfection, and was a perfect portion size. I left feeling satisfied, but not over-stuffed, and had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Continues to be one of our favesWHTravellersVIPDined on 7/10/2014What can I say, third time may wife and I have been here during visits to Philly. It continues to be excellent and one of our top favorites. Never, never a disappointment.Special Features:
- Terrific!FeasterDined on 7/8/2014Had to be one of the best meals of my life. Service was perfect. Every bite was an exploration of deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Philly's best BYOB'sWHTravellersVIPDined on 7/6/2014Retunrned here during our annual visit to Philly. This week we ate here twice! Food and service is outstanding. Everything is prepared with great care, fantastic flavor combinations and great presentation. The Sunday tasting menu is still out favorite, though we did also eat another da6y of the week from the normal menu. Can't find a better place anywhere!Special Features:
- Philadelphia Favorite!nonpariel5Dined on 6/29/2014We find that we are always finding reasons to dine at Pumpkin. It's not only the outstanding, thoughtfully prepared culinary creations from the kitchen, it's the caring, flawless service, and the total attention to detail that make this an exquisite dining experience. Pumpkin may be small, but it's heart is enormous, and makes every guest feel as though they are special. A place to return to again and again--and a must try for anyone who hasn't discovered Pumpkin's charms!!!Special Features:
- Amazing meal at Pumpkin BYOBBrooklynJoVIPDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I just moved to the neighborhood and decided to try Pumpkin's Sunday prix fixe chef's tasting menu. 5 courses for $40 plus BYOB sounded like a great value if the food was good. My husband and I ordered different dishes so we could sample them all. Turned out the food was blow-your-mind good. Every course was exquisite, from the green gazpacho with peeky toe crab, to the sublime salmon appetizer, the escargots on fettuccine, the chick peas and carrots salad, the skate almondine, to the praline cake and maple pot de creme desserts. It's a tiny place, but we didn't feel crowded (had a nice table by a wall), and our waiter was friendly and helpful without being too obtrusive. We will definitely be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantLM55VIPDined on 6/25/2014seasonal menu is incredible, really well made plates. great service, small/intimate atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfyingJJPPVIPDined on 6/22/2014Nice BYOB spot with a creative menu. Choices are somewhat limited but we had a good time with the Sunday 5 course menu. The GReen tomato gazpacho was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ArneDined on 6/15/2014The food is expertly prepared with a delicate sense of spicing. The tasting menu varied and enjoyable. Serve is friendly and attentive. Quiet enough for good conversation.Special Features:
- Best dinner in PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014I took my girlfriend there for her birthday and it was hands down the the best dining experience I've had in Philly. She had the beet soup and I had the rock octopus apps and we both had the steak. Very small dining room and it's very cozy/romantic.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2014Kind of a small place, but food was very fresh and delicious. Would highly recommend for a couple or a small group, but not big enough to accomodate a lot of people.Special Features:
- WonderfulLauraKDined on 6/12/2014Outstanding attention to detail from the orange touches (a nasturtium!) to the tiny packet of pumpkin seeds to the presentation of the wonderfully sweet/tart yellow beet soup. Each dish seemed lovingly prepared. Only nine tables in the place, four of them for two people and the rest for four. We ate early so noise level quite bearable -- don't know what it would be like with a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBMC59VIPDined on 6/12/2014All the food is exceptionally good and well prepared. But the soups are at an even higher level. The Chilled Golden Beet Soup this month is a wonderful combination of tastes and textures. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and Attentive ServiceFenomenalVIPDined on 6/6/2014Loved this byob south of Rittenhouse square! The dishes were extremely innovative, with very complex flavors and a beautiful presentation. The service was fantastic - our server was extremely attentive. They even changed out our glasses when we opened a different bottle of wine. The byob concept is great, allowing you to bring your favorite wine from home. The setting was very intimate and the noise level low, so very conducive to conversation. Will return for sure on our next trip to Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little BYOdavid7VIPDined on 6/6/2014Service is attentive, food is always good, in this intimate setting. Sunday night dinner is a treat and very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!PhantDined on 5/31/2014Pumpkin is a small, cash-only BYOB with outstanding cuisine and service. Every dish was a pleasure to savor. At first glance, some dishes seemed rather small. However, we discovered that in those instances, the dishes in which they were served were unexpectedly deep, and the portions actually were generous. Conversation was possible despite close quarters! The staff is quite sensitive to the passage of time, but not in a way that impacts the diner in an unpleasant manner. Since the place is small, they have to be efficient or their reservations will back up. And, the bill was smaller than I am accustomed to paying for a comparable meal. We will most certainly be back. All in all, our meal at Pumpkin was a pleasure.Special Features:
- Scrumptious PumpkinPhoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I once again enjoyed a perfect meal at Pumpkin. Everything was spot on from the food to the service. I am glad we live close enough to enjoy dinning at Pumpkin on a regular basis and the ever changing menu allows us to try a variety of excellently prepared food!Special Features:
- Love pumpkin!FoodieVIPDined on 5/29/2014This is by far one of my favorite BYOBs in Philly. It is very small but intimate, and you are well taken care of. The octopus appetizer is great as well as the shortribs. I came in the spring and want to go back for the fall menu.Special Features:
- Outstanding foodSmeeDined on 5/28/2014Flavors excellent and not mundane. Everything was well-prepared and served. Menu a bit limited, but still enjoyed the meal very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MaggieMay25VIPDined on 5/24/2014We ordered the 'snack' of sheep's milk with salsa verde served with grilled bread. It was tangy and tasty! Then had seared scallops as app. Seared to perfection! We both had the Berkshire pork rib."Berkshire pork is a heritage breed of pig, which was discovered over 300 years ago in Berkshire County in the United Kingdom. Berkshire pork is renowned for its richness, texture, marbling, juiciness, tenderness and overall depth of flavor." Amazing! It was served over polenta. For dessert, the goat's milk cheesecake and the melted pot de creme, both delicious. Menu changes monthly, and created using seasonal and local finds. A true gem! Service was outstanding as well! It's a byob, cash only. Quaint and moderate noise level.Special Features:
- Delightfulhappy2eathereVIPDined on 5/22/2014First time back in a million years. Exceeded all expectations. Food was amazing from start to finish. Our server felt like an old friend by the end of the night. Super experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KINDrJoeyDined on 5/20/2014Always enjoy the menu. Since it changes daily it is always a pleasant surprise to see what I will be selecting for dinner.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 5/18/2014I brought my wife to Pumpkin to celebrate her birthday. It was Sunday so we had the five course Prix Fixe menu. We trully had a perfect meal. Each course was exquisitely prepared. In the interest of space I will limit my comments to the Berkshire Pork Rib course. This piece of pork was outstanding. I savored the flavor of the dish and can assure anyone who enjoys pork that you are in for sheer delight when you go to Pumpkin to have their pork! Philadelphian foodies are lucky to have this neighborhood gem. I can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Always wonderfulTyroneDined on 5/14/2014We have been to Pumpkin twice. Both times have been a memorable evening. Food, wait staff, ambiance, etc. always spot on. One of my Philly faves. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite tastesgregmDined on 5/10/2014I shared three appetizers and a side. They were a delight both for the eye and the palate - ample but not overwhelming in size. Desert was equally impressive. When we arrived we were sitting next to a loud group of six - soon to leave. After they left we could again converse. The very small size of Pumpkin (< 30 seats) leaves one open to the possibility of guests at nearby tables who haven't learned how to converse at socially tolerable levels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfying experineceRoseBudDined on 5/10/2014From start to finish, this restaurant did not disappoint. Service was excellent. It is small inside but quaint. The food was outstanding. Can't wait to try it again and sample more of the offerings. Everyhting was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining delightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/8/2014One of the best dinners ever! I'm a foodie and love in dallas where superb restaurants are in excess... But PUMPKIN could beat them all. Beyond delicious and such amazing service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodBlueXVIPDined on 5/7/2014Pumpkin has a great reputation. I thought the food was very good, but there's a lot of competition in Philly. I didn't think they really stood out in this crowd. It was a cute little restaurant, but the tables are so close that you might just eat with your neighbors...
- Pump-kind of nightMoreTHANfoodieDined on 5/4/2014It was my first time trying the sunday night tasting menu and it was a delight! The perfect amount of food with a spectrum of seasonal wonders. Its an energetic, romantic and relaxed space with great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a stylish environmentMarcelDined on 5/3/2014Small stylish place with friendly service and great food. On top of it you can bring your own bottle of wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- MikeCDined on 5/2/2014On a recommendation from a friend we dined here while visiting Philadelphia on Friday May 2nd. Love that it was BYOB. Restaurant is small and there is limited waiting area so it might be an issue in bad weather. Our food was delicious (I had the duck, my wife the pork) and the service was excellent. The menu changes which is great. Only drawback was not having a steak on the menu, we had brought a nice Cab for the dinner. It paired well with our dishes, but would have been outstanding with a filet. Regardless we'd highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- foodiedudieVIPDined on 4/29/2014A wonderful meal…fresh and seasonal with careful, thoughtful preparation. Small menu, but love the daily produce specials. I haven't been to Pumpkin in a couple of years and like the updated room, but still tiny, quirky and cozy and chef still has it (might be a new one, if I remember correctly??)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome. Fresh farm to tableFoodiephillyDined on 4/27/2014We did the tasting menu and it was a great way to try everything. All if the vegetables were fresh and creatively cooked. Lots of food for $40.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tastebud TreatneighborVIPDined on 4/25/2014Everything was so flavorful and a total treat to the tastebuds. Service was wonderful as well. Just wish they took credit cards...Special Features:
- Still Very CreativeJgsjrVIPDined on 4/20/2014Our Pumpkin Dining Experience for Easter Sunday was a real treat. The 5 courses were delicious and very creative it what was offered and how it was prepared. The foks servicing us were Great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryCPRNDined on 4/16/2014Both the staff and food were delightful! I could not think of a thing to change, everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- interesting menu with creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/13/2014interesting menu with creative ingredients. Except for the soup, the flavors did not work well together...the food looked good on paper....but did not deliver the satisfaction.