1713 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pumpkinphilly.com/
- Phone: 2155454448x
- Hours of Operation:
(last seating at 10:00pm)
Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban's
"Top 5 favorite New American BYOB's".
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ian Moroney
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Join us for your next event! Intimate setting, wonderful food and caring staff. Can accommodate up to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Hillary Bor 2155454448x
- Special Events: Join us EVERY Sunday for our $40 five course prix fixe menu.
A word from Pumpkin BYOB
Celebrating our 10th year! Hillary & Ian welcome you to their intimate 26 seat BYOB featuring a daily changing seasonal menu. Our Sunday $40 five course prix fixe menu is available all year long. Awarded 3 bells from Philly Inquirer's food critic Craig Laban!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Pumpkin BYOB - Best Restaurants in Rittenhouse Square ›
Pumpkin BYOB reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (86)neighborhood gem (73)romantic (51)special occasion (45)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Although I only experienced the restaurant week menu, all of the food was excellent. I will definitely be back sometime soon.Special Features:
- RickRVIPDined on 9/7/2014First time visit to pumpkin for a special birthday during restaurant week. Really great experience - food incredible and the service was wonderful. Awesome BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant week experience!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/7/2014Finally decided to try Pumpkin with my friend during restaurant week in Philly and loved it! I had the squid, risotto and malted milk pot de creme for dessert. I loved all my dishes! I thought the couscous risotto was delicious and I have never had anything like it before! The food however left me super thirsty because it was definitely on the saltier side. I would definitely go back to Pumpkin during a different time to try their regular menu items. Also, it's one of the tiniest restaurants I have ever been to and I think that's what makes it feel so special.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this placegardenerDined on 8/31/2014Food is excellent, we went for the Prix Fix on Sunday. there were 5 courses for $40.00, plenty of variety in the meal, plenty of flavorful food... Service was excellent, the wait staff was very informative on the contents of the dishes, how they were put together and the ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMommybunny21Dined on 8/24/2014We did the Sunday night $40 dinner...absolutely fabulous!Special Features:
- Wonderful Night outFoodMonkeyVIPDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversery at Pumpkin on a Saturday night. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The menu while not exstensive was interesting and fun, and the food was excellent!!! I can find nothing negative to say about our entire experience, from the excellent service to the wonderful meal. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- delicious BYOBCLM32Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I went there for dinner and it was absolutely amazing. The menu is very small but everything we ordered was delicious. Tried octopus and skate for the first time and both were great. The menu changes monthly so we'll definitely be back again to try something new. Would recommend this place to anyone!Special Features:
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/22/2014Pumpkin is one of the best BYOs in the city, and never disappoints.Special Features:
- excellent dinnercleggfanDined on 8/21/2014I had the skate and it was one of the best meals I've ever had. My dining companion also felt his steak was amazing. I got lots of points for choosing this restaurant, which despite it being a Thursday, got very, very crowded as the evening wore on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJessaVIPDined on 8/17/2014We did the Sunday prix-fixe dinner and it was outstanding. Great value, we brought our own wine and no corkage fee. Server was wonderful and kept our wine chilled in the back room for us until our glasses needed refilling. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pumpkin, sorry Charlie BrownPhillyDinerDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I enjoyed the pork and salmon dishes for main course. The dining room is rather small and intimate - perfect for important, romantic dates; cap at four diners. Service is prompt and pleasant. The menu is short, perhaps four entrees. I'd suggest reservations because of the small dining room, and it is popular. It is a BYOB, but they do uncork your bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Masterful MenuivyLDined on 8/16/2014As a farm to table restaurant that locally sources many of its ingredients, Pumpkin has been high on my list of places to try for some time. We finally went this weekend and boy am I glad we did. Everything on the menu was flavorful and well-prepared. My husband's grilled rock octopus was delicately flavored and the chicken liver risotto I was dubious about trying was one of the stars of the evening. The salmon and beef were equally well prepared and my side of tomatoes were simply but carefully done. Pumpkin sources the freshest ingredients and lets those flavors shine. We had a wonderful meal and would return again for a romantic evening or special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood findmjcn62VIPDined on 8/15/2014We had a great dinner overall! specially the octopus appetizer. All the ingredients were so fresh tasting! the menu is small but very well balanced. Its always nice to be able to bring your own bottle too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior Chef TastingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/7/2014Chef Ian + Crew put together a stellar 9 course tasting menu that screamed Summer and worked perfectly with an all-white-wine selection. Our wine group appreciated well-spaced and timed plating in addition to casual, friendly and professional service by Mike and Mike. Dishes were artfully presented and full of flavor. Green Gazpacho, cured Sockeye salmon, skate w/corn velouté shined. Special request dishes like squid ink pasta with uni + homemade corn ice cream were spectacular. A beautiful and warm dining room is the perfect setting for such a dining experience. Owners Ian and Hillary are down-to-Earth, passionate business owners. There's a reason Pumpkin celebrates 10 years in biz in September. Kudos to the team for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go!CJCbostonVIPDined on 7/30/2014Thanks OT - for a great find. I love the Philly BYOB tradition - for those of us who have a certain wine in mind and enjoy paying retail rather than some multiple above it. The food here was all total excellence. Beautifully plated as well. Depth of flavors. Attentive server with style. We went one evening and were the last to dine and enjoyed all that we had. Looking forward to another visit.Special Features:
- wonderful taste experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014pumpkin provides delicious adventurous food combinations. very inspiring for my home cooking. We took the Sunday 40-dollar menu and were f.e. surprised with a green herbs and avocado gazpacho, and white tuna with brown beans (all great combinations). great place to dine!Special Features:
- Fresh Food for Foodieskjtravelers63Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant offer a limited but extremely interesting seasonal/fresh ingredient options for appetizers, entrees and desserts. Just an overall fabulous experience despite somewhat cramped quarters. Despite small-sized dining room footprint the atmosphere and overall dining experience for us was superb. service is very attentive but not over-bearing - if you like good food and BYOB then you need to try this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great choice for BYOBSteveVIPDined on 7/25/2014This is our favorite BYOB restaurant in Phila. The food is inventive and delicious. With a limited selection (abt 4 entrees), each dish is perfected. They change the menu monthly. This month our choices were Berkshire pork (fantastic!), beef, skate, Alaskan salmon. We shared the warm escarole salad with coddled egg (delightful), and had pineapple upside down cake for desert. They had proper glasses for our sparkling wine, and the service was attentive and friendly. Note: cash only.Special Features:
- Great last night in Philly dinner!!loveretirementDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I did the 5 course tasting menu on Sunday evening, a pretty good value for $40, especially since you bring your own wine. The server suggested we order both dishes as some courses had 2 choices, and that way to taste everything. Wonderful suggestion! All courses were fresh and tasty. Especially loved the whipped goat's milk cheese served with tomatoes and olives and the pork loin entrée with buttermilk. For us the standout dessert was the almond cake served with fresh peaches and ice cream, so delicious. Glad we had a 10 block walk to our hotel as we both left stuffed! Cute little place, maybe only 8 or 9 tables. Pumpkins seeds given at checkout were enjoyed a few days after our visit, reminding us of our great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IronwolfVIPDined on 7/16/2014Everything at Pumpkin is done with TLC, creativity and thoughtfulness. The food is fresh and interesting, combining unusual flavors that work incredibly well togther. The portion sizes are perfect. The atmosphere is intimate and unrushed, and the service attentive. A wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- mavenmargieVIPDined on 7/13/2014always outstanding. recently went to the prix fixe sunday night dinner. excellent and a true bargain.Special Features:
- A Perfect MealREBTDoctorVIPDined on 7/12/2014I had another perfect meal at Pumpkin BYOB. What is amazing about Pumpkin is that the appetizer, entree, and desserts are exceptional. I had octopus, sockeye salmon, while my wife had the risotto followed by the pork rib. We share the blueberry clafoutis which was off the charts. Pumpkin is consistently excellent and I strongly urge you to enjoy this neighbor gem if you consider yourself a lover of the exquisite food.Special Features:
- ExcellentLisaBDined on 7/12/2014I really enjoyed my experience at Pumpkin. I tried octopus for the first time and I only wish there was more! It was perfect. Presentations were outstanding. Our server was very sweet and informative. She answered all of our many questions. My husband and I like most foods so it was easy for us but if you are a picky eater it could be a tough menu for you to find something. Limited menu but the ingredients were super fresh and interesting combinations full of flavors!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Keeps getting better and betterJonWVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was my fifth time here - I think the food has improved as well as the delivery - this is one of the few places I almost wish was a little larger- I worry the place can't make enough money, given the small size of the dining roomSpecial Features:
- The food is outstanding!hayley3390VIPDined on 7/10/2014This place is great for a romantic date night. The food was some of the most flavorful I've had in a long time. I had the gazpacho for my first course, which was light, refreshing, and just what I wanted on a summer night. I then had the salmon, which was cooked to perfection, and was a perfect portion size. I left feeling satisfied, but not over-stuffed, and had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Terrific!FeasterDined on 7/8/2014Had to be one of the best meals of my life. Service was perfect. Every bite was an exploration of deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Philly's best BYOB'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2014Retunrned here during our annual visit to Philly. This week we ate here twice! Food and service is outstanding. Everything is prepared with great care, fantastic flavor combinations and great presentation. The Sunday tasting menu is still out favorite, though we did also eat another da6y of the week from the normal menu. Can't find a better place anywhere!Special Features:
- Philadelphia Favorite!nonpariel5Dined on 6/29/2014We find that we are always finding reasons to dine at Pumpkin. It's not only the outstanding, thoughtfully prepared culinary creations from the kitchen, it's the caring, flawless service, and the total attention to detail that make this an exquisite dining experience. Pumpkin may be small, but it's heart is enormous, and makes every guest feel as though they are special. A place to return to again and again--and a must try for anyone who hasn't discovered Pumpkin's charms!!!Special Features:
- Amazing meal at Pumpkin BYOBBrooklynJoVIPDined on 6/29/2014My husband and I just moved to the neighborhood and decided to try Pumpkin's Sunday prix fixe chef's tasting menu. 5 courses for $40 plus BYOB sounded like a great value if the food was good. My husband and I ordered different dishes so we could sample them all. Turned out the food was blow-your-mind good. Every course was exquisite, from the green gazpacho with peeky toe crab, to the sublime salmon appetizer, the escargots on fettuccine, the chick peas and carrots salad, the skate almondine, to the praline cake and maple pot de creme desserts. It's a tiny place, but we didn't feel crowded (had a nice table by a wall), and our waiter was friendly and helpful without being too obtrusive. We will definitely be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantLM55VIPDined on 6/25/2014seasonal menu is incredible, really well made plates. great service, small/intimate atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfyingJJPPVIPDined on 6/22/2014Nice BYOB spot with a creative menu. Choices are somewhat limited but we had a good time with the Sunday 5 course menu. The GReen tomato gazpacho was especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ArneDined on 6/15/2014The food is expertly prepared with a delicate sense of spicing. The tasting menu varied and enjoyable. Serve is friendly and attentive. Quiet enough for good conversation.Special Features:
- Best dinner in PhiladelphiaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/13/2014I took my girlfriend there for her birthday and it was hands down the the best dining experience I've had in Philly. She had the beet soup and I had the rock octopus apps and we both had the steak. Very small dining room and it's very cozy/romantic.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/12/2014Kind of a small place, but food was very fresh and delicious. Would highly recommend for a couple or a small group, but not big enough to accomodate a lot of people.Special Features:
- WonderfulLauraKDined on 6/12/2014Outstanding attention to detail from the orange touches (a nasturtium!) to the tiny packet of pumpkin seeds to the presentation of the wonderfully sweet/tart yellow beet soup. Each dish seemed lovingly prepared. Only nine tables in the place, four of them for two people and the rest for four. We ate early so noise level quite bearable -- don't know what it would be like with a full house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingBMC59VIPDined on 6/12/2014All the food is exceptionally good and well prepared. But the soups are at an even higher level. The Chilled Golden Beet Soup this month is a wonderful combination of tastes and textures. Not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and Attentive ServiceFenomenalVIPDined on 6/6/2014Loved this byob south of Rittenhouse square! The dishes were extremely innovative, with very complex flavors and a beautiful presentation. The service was fantastic - our server was extremely attentive. They even changed out our glasses when we opened a different bottle of wine. The byob concept is great, allowing you to bring your favorite wine from home. The setting was very intimate and the noise level low, so very conducive to conversation. Will return for sure on our next trip to Philly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely little BYOdavid7VIPDined on 6/6/2014Service is attentive, food is always good, in this intimate setting. Sunday night dinner is a treat and very reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!PhantDined on 5/31/2014Pumpkin is a small, cash-only BYOB with outstanding cuisine and service. Every dish was a pleasure to savor. At first glance, some dishes seemed rather small. However, we discovered that in those instances, the dishes in which they were served were unexpectedly deep, and the portions actually were generous. Conversation was possible despite close quarters! The staff is quite sensitive to the passage of time, but not in a way that impacts the diner in an unpleasant manner. Since the place is small, they have to be efficient or their reservations will back up. And, the bill was smaller than I am accustomed to paying for a comparable meal. We will most certainly be back. All in all, our meal at Pumpkin was a pleasure.Special Features:
- Scrumptious PumpkinPhoodieVIPDined on 5/30/2014My wife and I once again enjoyed a perfect meal at Pumpkin. Everything was spot on from the food to the service. I am glad we live close enough to enjoy dinning at Pumpkin on a regular basis and the ever changing menu allows us to try a variety of excellently prepared food!Special Features: