Pump Room-Public Hotel
1301 N State Parkway
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pump Room-Public Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pumproom.com/
- Phone: 3126012970
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 3pm
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 2:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Moosah Reaume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At night, The Pump Room Bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30’s and 40’s with a modern twist. Offerings include late night signature small plates; local and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.
For reservations call Caroline Mogavero at 312.229.6771 or email Caroline at email@example.com
A word from Pump Room-Public Hotel
The Pump Room restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by Three Star Michelin rated and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors and regional flavors.Offerings in the bar include small plates as well as local and international draught and bottled beer;and specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pump Room-Public Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (127)fit for foodies (109)romantic (91)hot spot (87)vibrant bar scene (84)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (55)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (26)late-night find (24)great for lunch (24)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Simply SublimeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/31/2014The fried Chicken and the salmon shashimi on crispy rice are absolutely to die for. The kale salad is heavenly as well. Great cocktails, beautiful atmosphere, and great service. One of my all time favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!LJDPDined on 8/30/2014We had drinks and appetizers here about a year ago and always wanted to come back for dinner. We read a few mixed reviews but we had an absolutely outstanding dinner and are so happy that we made it back! We did the tasting menu since there were so many items that we wanted to try and loved everything. The dining area is beautiful. The ambience was romantic yet there were groups, too. Our server was very professional. Overall, amazing experience and we felt the price was reasonable for an upscale dinner.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I went here for mine and my gfs anniversary after she loved her first time dining there. I NEVER complain about anything in the food services industry because I understand the difficulties, but this was probably the worst service I ever had. It was very confusing because people who came in well after us were getting there food all around us while we waited and waited. When the food did finally come, the short ribs I ordered was more than 50% fat with very little meat on it. My gf's chicken was dry and seemingly overcooked. People around us seemed to be getting served just fine, so I have no idea what was going on. Overall, bad experience and I won't be going back.
- Pump room experiencechicagofoodieDined on 8/22/2014The Pump Room has an extensive menu and the food is delicious. I considered going to another restaurant that could be similarly categorized but the menu at the Pump Room was superior. The staff is very attentive, friendly and helpful and the restaurant has an interesting history and stylish decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAstyFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014The tasting menue was great. Wonderful choices. Good value.Special Features:
- Good food; disorganized servicechicagogoVIPDined on 8/21/2014While we liked our waiter, we waited entirely too long for a drink to be delivered (15 minutes), followed by a real lag in the delivery of food. For the prices the Pump Room charges, they need to organize their kitchen and bar to provide better service. If you're going to make me wait 40 minutes for my appetizer, bring me some bread or an amuse bouche.
- Inventive FoodRenzoVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always enjoy the Pump Room. Food is good and reasonable value. Scene upbeat but not too loud. Lovely neighborhood. Wine list just okay and over-priced.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu is delicioustr1983Dined on 8/16/2014I dined here recently with a large group. We had to add a few people to our reservation late, and the hostesses were very accommodating. Food was amazing. The spare rib and salmon sashimi were some of th breath things I've had in a while. But, service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting the Pump Room.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014One of the bummers was my friend not being able to order the 3 items she wanted as she is allergic to shellfish and they fry everything in one fryer! Really??? They can't afford another fryer?? At least the waitress DID ask if we had any food allergies,or it could have been really bad for her. On the other hand, the kale salad was amazing! One of the best salads I've had in a long time. I'd go back just for that. As was the pineapple martini that they made special for me. Delicious! We also devoured the marinated olives, and I liked my "fried chicken". The ambience was nice and I loved the orb lighting. But very, very noisy!!! I am glad that I gave it a try, as I always loved the old pump room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food was delicious and our waiter was friendly and joked with us from time to time as well as giving us recommendations on food and wine when we asked. My girlfriend is still talking about how good the pasta dish was. This isn't a place I would go regularly, since it is a bit pricey, but it was worth it for a fancy night out for my girlfriend's birthday.Special Features:
- Always the best.MichellechicagoVIPDined on 8/4/2014I'm never disappointed with Pump Room. This isn't their fault but the 2 things I was looking forward to are out of season or replaced for now (scallops & Brussel sprouts). But that means I'll have to come back :) drinks are always delicious and we were seated immediately. We ordered the salmon, short ribs and walleye and everyone was happy. Our server, Matt, was excellent and offered his opinions and suggestions. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Elegant and trendyFoodiesJJDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came from out of town and booked ahead. We asked for a booth and said it was a special occasion. The staff made every effort to make our anniversary wonderful, including giving us the Sinatra booth. Food was incredible and the restaurant was gorgeous. Everyone was so nice and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaffArdieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed our dinner, waitstaff very knowledgeable, great menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWFuzzballVIPDined on 8/1/2014Everything we had was top notch. Broccoli (side) the best ever. Pasta with lemon meyer sauce, perfect Fish cooked to perfection. OMG the hamburger was to good to describe. Service was attentive but not hovering. The next night we went to Spiaggia our all time favorite! As much as I hate to say this: We all agreed should have back to Pump Room. The Pump Room is just that good.
- Not your grandmother's Pump RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Good service, good food, but geared toward 20-somethings - those who don't know the legendSpecial Features:
- great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014I have been to the Pump Room on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed! The food is wonderful, the drinks are never a disappointment and the atmosphere is outstanding. The waiters are very accommodating, knowledgeable and give great advice on what to order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceEatoutmuchDined on 7/30/2014It took us 3-1/2 hours to have a business dinner. The service was slow. No one really checked on us and we sat with dirty plates for a long time between courses. They didn't bring out any servicing utensils with any of the dishes even though they knew we were all sharing.
- Always AmazingAshTVIPDined on 7/30/2014Another fabulous meal, experience, and evening. The food is always amazing, we have yet to order anything we didn't love. The service was incredible as usual and the atmosphere was just lively enough for a mid-week birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Very impressedeoddoDined on 7/28/2014I was very impressed with the Pump Room. Two friends and I did the tasting menu for my 31st birthday. Our server was knowledgeable, engaged in conversation and had good drink recommendations. They treated us extremely well for my birthday, the food was really good and I had a great time. I would go back. The soy glazed pork ribs were phenomenal. I also liked the ice cream which had a peanut butter flavor and carmel corn with chocolate syrup. What I liked about the tasting menu is that the portions were not too big. I was full at the end but not uncomfortably stuffed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014Really enjoyed the food and the server was great however the food came out quite slowly -- we waited longer than I hoped between courses.
- So coolOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The space is remarkable. My friends and I had an outstanding time. Every staff member we interacted with were professional, friendly, and accommodating. All the dishes were incredible.Special Features:
- It's no longer the "Pump Room"HawkeyeDined on 7/26/2014The experience was a huge let down after eating there several times in the past. It was cold and noisy. No table cloths, just paper mats. The waiter served a bottle of beer without a glass. The water was warm and when I asked for ice water, the waiter brought us a glass filled with ice. The food was good however I ordered red snapper but the bill said "bass". It was good but I don't know whether it was red snapper or sea bass. The sundae had nuts and popcorn in it. Popcorn???
- ClassypvcaryDined on 7/25/2014Overall I was pleased with Pump Room. It's a true Chicago gem with a cool ambience that's been around since the dark ages. Our waiter unfortunately gave us poor service but other waiters picked up his slack so we were fine. One thing to note, chances are your table won't be ready. Not because your table isn't ready, but because they want you to spend 40$ at the bar on cocktails before hand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Was WrongeduardoDined on 7/25/2014In town for a meeting and a local colleague tried to dissuade me from going to the Pump Room for dinner. I am so very happy that I did not take his advice! The tasting menu was delicious and very reasonably priced. As was the wine pairing (the pours themselves were generous too.) The dining room and adjacent bar were vibrant. The Pump Room is awesome. If locals snub it, then fine - - that just leaves more room for us visitors to enjoy!Special Features:
- Hot Spot2timeoffenderDined on 7/25/2014The Pump Room is definitely a hot spot with a lively sceen going on. Everyone had a relaxed fashion look going for themselves, not to stuffy. The food was great. My beef tenderloin was cooked just the way I asked. The food was light and great. The ambiance was very trendy and cool.Special Features:
- Not greatEnjoydiningout01Dined on 7/24/2014Took 30 minutes to get a drink after we were sent to bar because they said table was not ready. But several open tables. Waitress apologized several times saying service bar busy. Not a good excuse when u see other bartenders standing around. Food was like tapas size, not that I want a huge portion but the walleye looked like two large dice on sautéed peppers for $28.00. Then they didn't have the wine I chose and wouldn't give me the next one up for the same price. He wasn't even really nice about it. Service was rushed was almost done before we got r wine. Was sat next to little kids. Not that I don't like kids but don't want to go to a place like that and have to feel like I'm at chunky cheese. It was very pricey for the experience.
- Best in ChicagoFreddieDined on 7/21/2014I came with my wife to Chicago as part of out honeymoon. No place or restaurant blew us away like the Pump Room did. The staff was amazing. So helpful, knowledgable, fun, and engaging. The drinks were made to perfection and not overpriced. The food was unbelievable!! Presentation, taste, freshness all were impeccable. You can tell it is a frequently changing menu for drinks and food. The bartender cut up the garnishes for the drinks in front of us. For the entire honeymoon which included San Diego, no place can top the Pump Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoRGCSFCDined on 7/18/2014This hotel is for a young crowd. The signature tasting for $65 was a good choice. Tables are too close, when you try to back up to get out you bump into the person behind you. Just not comfort oriented.Special Features:
- Past gloriesTmabxlDined on 7/14/2014A comfortable menu that doesn't take risks, beautiful decor marred by a very loud playlist of rock music, this place is not as sophisticated as it could be and muggy disappoint people looking for something above average.Special Features:
- The Pump Room!cafchicagoVIPDined on 7/12/2014This place just keeps getting better. The food is incredible, the service is great, the room is beautiful, and management attentive to detail. The tasting option with wine paring is a great way to sample the menu and they have a nice list of simply prepared fare as well. Save room for desert, especially the carmel corn sunday! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/11/2014Too much noise---hard to talk. Tables for 2 too close together. Wait staff just average. Would not go back.Special Features:
- A delightful experiencefood4thoughtDined on 7/11/2014I took my mother and family friend for dinner. The ambience and decor is fun and elegant. Food is delicious. I had a rack of lamb that was accompanied with a barbecue sauce that was an unexpected party in the mouth. My friends had salmon and halibut- both fish where terrific We all started with a divine Gazpacho and finished with a rhubarb cobbler with ice cream and a cucumber cake with cream cheese icing. The staff was entirely on point in everything they did. The evening was a success!Special Features:
- Not the old Pump RoomJohnnyBDined on 7/6/2014While the food was good though a bit pricey, there was no music on the weekends, service perfunctory and no vibe. Valet parking is as pricey as the food.Special Features:
- Fine dining with a casual feelJossDined on 7/6/2014Great place to go for brunch or dinner. Restaurant is bright and airy, and has a clean and comfortable feel. Service was great - our server was knowledgeable about the menu but not pushy when it came to helping us choose our entrees. Burrata appetizer was on the smaller end, but very tasty. We had the short ribs, scallops and pork chop. All delicious. My only complaint was that they had some greens on top of the scallops which were confusing and hard to eat. Loved the bacon with the scallops though. Dessert was a deconstructed sundae with popcorn and salted caramel ice cream - so tasty!Special Features:
- Tiny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/3/2014Although a beautiful place the appetizer portions are so skimpy and the entree portions are appetizer like in appearance. The short ribs were incredibly small and quite expensive.Special Features:
- What a great placeBarberousseDined on 7/3/2014Went here based on article in the FT, so a little wary, but what a place, possibly the best meal I have had this year anywhere in the world. Just brilliant. Wish I lived in Chicago .....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change IS goodFamilyOfFoodiesDined on 6/29/2014Having not been to the new Pump Room since its transformation, my daughter and I made reservations for her birthday not sure what to expect. I will get to the punch line and describe our evening in a word: splendid. The room is gorgeous. The tasting menu, just $95 with wine pairings was a six course work of art. The service was professional and attentive. The shortcomings of our primary waiter who seemed more concerned with his own affectations than our experience were more than backstopped by his runners and bus crew who were truly outstanding. This is a NYC caliber dining experience that just seems to work in Chicago. Well done. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pump Room ExperienceLoveFoodDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here on 6/28/14. I called ahead and asked if a message could be put at the top of a menu and they said they could make that happen, when we checked in we we're welcomed with a "happy anniversary" from the host and hostess, when our waiter came by he gave us a "happy anniversary," the menu's contained the message as requested, and at dessert we were brought a dessert with "happy anniversary" written in dark chocolate syrup around the rim. So needless to say the level of service, the staff making the night special, and the attention to detail from the first phone conversation through the entire dinner was outstanding. The food was very good as you would expect, and the atmosphere was relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Good & the BadRobFVIPDined on 6/28/2014Our waitress was outstanding - very friendly and attentive! And the ambience of restaurant was great. I wish the food was as good. My wife's salmon was undercooked and "mushy" in a couple spots. My sea bass was pretty dry and lacked flavor. I will say our prosciutto flatbread appetizer was spectacular! Next time we might just stick w entrees.Special Features:
- HanaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great food .. Service is good but just slow for food to come .. That is mean the kitchen problem not the waiter and waitress problem ..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.