Pump Room-Public Hotel
1301 N State Parkway
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pump Room-Public Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pumproom.com/
- Phone: 3126012970
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 3pm
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 2:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Moosah Reaume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At night, The Pump Room Bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30’s and 40’s with a modern twist. Offerings include late night signature small plates; local and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.
For reservations call Caroline Mogavero at 312.229.6771 or email Caroline at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Pump Room-Public Hotel
The Pump Room restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by Three Star Michelin rated and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors and regional flavors.Offerings in the bar include small plates as well as local and international draught and bottled beer;and specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pump Room-Public Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
213 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (120)fit for foodies (112)romantic (90)hot spot (87)vibrant bar scene (74)neighborhood gem (66)good for groups (59)notable wine list (27)great for brunch (26)late-night find (20)great for lunch (19)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Brunch was a MissOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014I have eaten here previously but only for dinner. This was the first time I ate there for brunch. We ordered drinks when the waitress greeted us, then when she came back we ordered something small to share while we still decided. We waiting probably 20 minutes for our drinks and were done with the small plate before the drinks arrived. It was not a spectacular dining experience. The table near by spoke to manager about how substandard the whole process was. My meal was to come with toast but it never arrived, we literally left cash on the table and left after the entire experience took way to long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014My first time and it was a great experience! Great food, nice atmosphere and excellent customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but we will be backmmkchicagoVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had a great time at Pump Room. The ambiance is supper club, but not quite as dark as I would have expected. We tried a bunch of different food, the fried chicken, the burrata with meyer lemon jam, the taggliatelle and the prosciutto flatbread. All were fantastic. Our waiter was very knowledgeable on the menu and where the ingredients come from. It was really a special night. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space - disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/16/2014Beautiful restaurant. Clearly one of the best new 'old' spaces in Chicago. But, the food disappointed. Fried chicken that left a Nashville expert wishing for that luscious buttermilk and flour re-dipped chicken that made the food famous. Cod that was tasty, but served with broccoli that didn't really complement the dish. When I asked for berries for dessert, I got just that, as if someone had dumped them into a soup bowl without any thought at all. We'll be back for a drink and soak up the atmosphere, but will dine elsewhere next time.
- Consistently AwesomeMattSVIPDined on 10/14/2014The ambiance is elegant and fun. The food is fantastic and this is my 20th time here, consistently awesome. The only thing changing is the service, our guy was laid back and not very interested in much but the runners and back waiters were great and very helpful. This place is here to stay!Special Features:
- barryVIPDined on 10/11/2014tuna tartare was very salty, salad was good, snapper was good, cookie was good, wall"eye" was not good drink took a long time to get server was great, but service declined as night went on.....? oddSpecial Features:
- Service and food were excellent.MaryB364Dined on 10/7/2014I would say the pluses of this restaurant were the service as well as the food. The music volume for the restaurant was a bit on the loud side. The updated interior wasn't quite what we expected because of some older reviews we had read, but it was very modern, clean and pleasing. When we asked them to turn down the volume of the music, they were very responsive and concerned that we have a good experience, and they did turn the music volume down. I ordered items from their special "Breast Cancer Awareness" prix fixe menu, and all the items were excellent. I would recommend this for someone looking for a modern trendy restaurant with up-to-date cocktails and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationEastboundDined on 10/7/2014Birthday celebration for 2 with OUSTANDSING service. Our waiter was helpful, friendly, and great. The cocktails we opened with were VERY slow in coming with the restaurant filled about 70% to capacity on a Tuesday. Not our waiter's fault. On a one to ten scale the food was a solid seven. Some portions were quite skimpy for the price. The cake presentation was excellent for a birthday, but not complimentary. Not as posh as I remember from the bygone era, but contemporary updates were probably a response to current market realities. For some reason, at six feet tall I seemed to be sitting too low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlesaleDined on 10/5/2014Food was very creative, yet simple. Very modern decor, probably not to everyones liking. Remodeling of hotel lobby was very nicely done. The food was excellent through out the meal. Nothing like the original Pump Room but very good in its own right. The kale salad was very good-seafood was perfectly cooked and sauced.Special Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014the food was quite good but the service provided by our waiter was terrible. He rarely checked in and we could not even find him to flag him down. He forgot several of the small requests we made of him.Special Features:
- just misses the markOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014-we were sat next to the hostess stand (felt like we were in the alley) -the fish was dry and tasted frozen -our main server was good, but everyone else seemed disinterested. "here's your food" with no explanation of what we were eating, etc.Special Features:
- Great place to see and be seen.MarleenDined on 10/3/2014Came here for an early dinner at 6. It Was not to packed with people yet but has the potential to be. All the good was amazing! Service was great. Drinks were great! Only bad thing was we did not have time for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Quiet LunchPaperdollVIPDined on 10/2/2014The menu is interesting, some items quite unique, and the four of us tried several dishes all of which we liked very much. The service is excellent and our table near the windows was conducive to conversation. It will be more on the expensive side, but we stayed as long as we wanted and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary and upbeatGuideGalDined on 9/30/2014Open, cool vibe with very attentive service and a nice spectrum of delightful menu choices. The tuna tower appetizer is one of the best I've ever had, a must have for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItNikoleanVIPDined on 9/29/2014I really enjoyed my meal here and our server was fantastic.Special Features:
- FancysweettoothDined on 9/27/2014The Pump Room was beautifully decorated. I went for my birthday and it was a very fancy way to celebrate. The food was amazing. I went with a girlfriend of mine and we shared the heirloom tomato salad for our appetizer. I had the red snapper and she had a flatbread. I also had their bellini. Everything was perfectly delicious. I highly recommend it for special occasions!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerReVaDined on 9/26/2014The table was not ready and reservation time and it took quite some time to get us seated finally. The food was good, but we were not wowed in anyway. One of the pizzas had a spinach topping that tasted burnt/charred and all of my guests despised it. Recipe should be reviewed. Our server John was nice and Natalie was great and extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be!DisappointedDined on 9/26/2014When the Pump Room first opened it was a lovely, hip but elegant spot to enjoy fine food in a modern, yet elegant setting. The food was excellent, and the service superior - you felt special dining, even when it was not a special occasion. Last night (which was a special occasion) the Pump Room felt as if it was resting on its laurels; the place was hopping, filled with the young and chic, and thus, there appeared to be no sense of necessity to pay personal attention (in a sincere way) to the customers. The food was good, but not particularly extraordinary and the service was perfunctory - the silverware was not even replaced between courses. The music was blaring. Too bad, I loved this place previously, I will likely not return.Special Features:
- Very nice!JocesweetDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I ate here on a whim. He had been to the old Pump Room years ago so was excited to revisit. When I saw Jean-Georges created the menu and concept I was in. The decor is fun and they have a great bar area for being in a hotel. We started with the olives and also the burratta - both excellent. My husband had the crispy chicken, it was delicious. I had the sea bass, also very good. The polenta was pretty spicy, but tasty for a side dish. The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't Go Back30yearslaterDined on 9/22/2014Décor poor; service slow; food not great and very small portions for the price; carpet filthy.
- RandVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very busy that night. We arrived about 40 minutes prior to our reservation. The bar was very active but we were able to grab a coupled of seats at the bar. Our server was very pleasant and informative. She had a good knowledge of the wine list. the appetizers came out on time but then we waited at least 50-an hour for our main course. We inquired to the server about the long wait and or main course came out shortly thereafter. My Halibut was poached and very dry, my fiance's pasta was very gooey for lack of a better word. The server did take the pasta off the check. The Pump Room has a lot of history and I hope they get the food service together or this will be a one and out for a lot of folksSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved it. Five of us in our group and each of us thought our individual meal was amazing.Special Features:
- NiknDined on 9/13/2014Loved the tasting menu and wine pairing! What a treat!!Special Features:
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014An enjoyable experience. Server was attentive and did an excellent job of describing the menu items. We both had fish ( Red Snapper & Sea Bass). Both were prepared in wonderful sauces. The polenta side was also excellent. The mushroom side was average. The Sicilian mushroom pizza was a good starter. Wine by the glass was good. The ambiance with the energetic crowd made for a nice change from the norm. Worth another visit.Special Features:
- Not worth itProudVeggieDined on 9/10/2014The venerable old Pump Room was a Chicago delight. This new "Pump Room" is a disaster from the stained carpet to the overpriced menu items. We expect the experience to be worth the price. Two of the people at our table ordered the ravioli and got three for $18.00. One person ordered the salmon and got a 4 ounce portion for $27.00. We were seated at a large round table that wobbled every time someone leaned on it. I also don't understand the paper placemats that aren't much different than the ones at Denny's. For those prices you would think they can afford to clean the carpets, use nice placemats and fix the tables. Everyone at our table thought the food was too salty and no one left feeling sated. Save your money.
- Great foodYummyVIPDined on 9/7/2014One of the best brunches in Chicago - the food is soo good!Special Features:
- First timeopentablerDined on 9/5/2014This was our first experience at the Pump Room but have been wanting to try it for a while since it is in walking distance of where we live. The environment and energy inside the restaurant is lively, the food and cocktails were delicious, and our server was helpful and very pleasant. We would come back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh so worth it!FlipetteDined on 9/5/2014I looked up "girls night out in Chicago" and the Pump Room popped right up. I've never heard of it, but thought I'd give it a try based on the reviews. The ambiance, food, service - unbelievable! We decided to do the Tasting Menu with the wine suggestions. Each selection that was served, from the sashimi, to the Myer Lemon Pasta, to the dessert and all of the wines was scrumptious, sublime, ORGASMIC! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Simply SublimeShackletonVIPDined on 8/31/2014The fried Chicken and the salmon shashimi on crispy rice are absolutely to die for. The kale salad is heavenly as well. Great cocktails, beautiful atmosphere, and great service. One of my all time favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!LJDPDined on 8/30/2014We had drinks and appetizers here about a year ago and always wanted to come back for dinner. We read a few mixed reviews but we had an absolutely outstanding dinner and are so happy that we made it back! We did the tasting menu since there were so many items that we wanted to try and loved everything. The dining area is beautiful. The ambience was romantic yet there were groups, too. Our server was very professional. Overall, amazing experience and we felt the price was reasonable for an upscale dinner.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I went here for mine and my gfs anniversary after she loved her first time dining there. I NEVER complain about anything in the food services industry because I understand the difficulties, but this was probably the worst service I ever had. It was very confusing because people who came in well after us were getting there food all around us while we waited and waited. When the food did finally come, the short ribs I ordered was more than 50% fat with very little meat on it. My gf's chicken was dry and seemingly overcooked. People around us seemed to be getting served just fine, so I have no idea what was going on. Overall, bad experience and I won't be going back.
- Pump room experiencechicagofoodieDined on 8/22/2014The Pump Room has an extensive menu and the food is delicious. I considered going to another restaurant that could be similarly categorized but the menu at the Pump Room was superior. The staff is very attentive, friendly and helpful and the restaurant has an interesting history and stylish decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAstyFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014The tasting menue was great. Wonderful choices. Good value.Special Features:
- Good food; disorganized servicechicagogoVIPDined on 8/21/2014While we liked our waiter, we waited entirely too long for a drink to be delivered (15 minutes), followed by a real lag in the delivery of food. For the prices the Pump Room charges, they need to organize their kitchen and bar to provide better service. If you're going to make me wait 40 minutes for my appetizer, bring me some bread or an amuse bouche.
- Inventive FoodRenzoVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always enjoy the Pump Room. Food is good and reasonable value. Scene upbeat but not too loud. Lovely neighborhood. Wine list just okay and over-priced.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu is delicioustr1983Dined on 8/16/2014I dined here recently with a large group. We had to add a few people to our reservation late, and the hostesses were very accommodating. Food was amazing. The spare rib and salmon sashimi were some of th breath things I've had in a while. But, service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting the Pump Room.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014One of the bummers was my friend not being able to order the 3 items she wanted as she is allergic to shellfish and they fry everything in one fryer! Really??? They can't afford another fryer?? At least the waitress DID ask if we had any food allergies,or it could have been really bad for her. On the other hand, the kale salad was amazing! One of the best salads I've had in a long time. I'd go back just for that. As was the pineapple martini that they made special for me. Delicious! We also devoured the marinated olives, and I liked my "fried chicken". The ambience was nice and I loved the orb lighting. But very, very noisy!!! I am glad that I gave it a try, as I always loved the old pump room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food was delicious and our waiter was friendly and joked with us from time to time as well as giving us recommendations on food and wine when we asked. My girlfriend is still talking about how good the pasta dish was. This isn't a place I would go regularly, since it is a bit pricey, but it was worth it for a fancy night out for my girlfriend's birthday.Special Features:
- Always the best.MichellechicagoVIPDined on 8/4/2014I'm never disappointed with Pump Room. This isn't their fault but the 2 things I was looking forward to are out of season or replaced for now (scallops & Brussel sprouts). But that means I'll have to come back :) drinks are always delicious and we were seated immediately. We ordered the salmon, short ribs and walleye and everyone was happy. Our server, Matt, was excellent and offered his opinions and suggestions. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Elegant and trendyFoodiesJJDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came from out of town and booked ahead. We asked for a booth and said it was a special occasion. The staff made every effort to make our anniversary wonderful, including giving us the Sinatra booth. Food was incredible and the restaurant was gorgeous. Everyone was so nice and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.