Pump Room-Public Hotel
1301 N State Parkway
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pump Room-Public Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pumproom.com/
- Phone: 3126012970
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 3pm
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 2:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Moosah Reaume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At night, The Pump Room Bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30’s and 40’s with a modern twist. Offerings include late night signature small plates; local and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.
For reservations call Caroline Mogavero at 312.229.6771 or email Caroline at email@example.com
A word from Pump Room-Public Hotel
The Pump Room restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by Three Star Michelin rated and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors and regional flavors.Offerings in the bar include small plates as well as local and international draught and bottled beer;and specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pump Room-Public Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (111)romantic (92)vibrant bar scene (84)hot spot (80)neighborhood gem (69)good for groups (58)great for brunch (30)notable wine list (26)late-night find (24)great for lunch (22)scenic view (6)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The table was not ready and reservation time and it took quite some time to get us seated finally. The food was good, but we were not wowed in anyway. One of the pizzas had a spinach topping that tasted burnt/charred and all of my guests despised it. Recipe should be reviewed. Our server John was nice and Natalie was great and extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be!DisappointedDined on 9/26/2014When the Pump Room first opened it was a lovely, hip but elegant spot to enjoy fine food in a modern, yet elegant setting. The food was excellent, and the service superior - you felt special dining, even when it was not a special occasion. Last night (which was a special occasion) the Pump Room felt as if it was resting on its laurels; the place was hopping, filled with the young and chic, and thus, there appeared to be no sense of necessity to pay personal attention (in a sincere way) to the customers. The food was good, but not particularly extraordinary and the service was perfunctory - the silverware was not even replaced between courses. The music was blaring. Too bad, I loved this place previously, I will likely not return.Special Features:
- Very nice!JocesweetDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I ate here on a whim. He had been to the old Pump Room years ago so was excited to revisit. When I saw Jean-Georges created the menu and concept I was in. The decor is fun and they have a great bar area for being in a hotel. We started with the olives and also the burratta - both excellent. My husband had the crispy chicken, it was delicious. I had the sea bass, also very good. The polenta was pretty spicy, but tasty for a side dish. The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't Go Back30yearslaterDined on 9/22/2014Décor poor; service slow; food not great and very small portions for the price; carpet filthy.
- RandVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very busy that night. We arrived about 40 minutes prior to our reservation. The bar was very active but we were able to grab a coupled of seats at the bar. Our server was very pleasant and informative. She had a good knowledge of the wine list. the appetizers came out on time but then we waited at least 50-an hour for our main course. We inquired to the server about the long wait and or main course came out shortly thereafter. My Halibut was poached and very dry, my fiance's pasta was very gooey for lack of a better word. The server did take the pasta off the check. The Pump Room has a lot of history and I hope they get the food service together or this will be a one and out for a lot of folksSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved it. Five of us in our group and each of us thought our individual meal was amazing.Special Features:
- NiknDined on 9/13/2014Loved the tasting menu and wine pairing! What a treat!!Special Features:
- Special OccasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/13/2014An enjoyable experience. Server was attentive and did an excellent job of describing the menu items. We both had fish ( Red Snapper & Sea Bass). Both were prepared in wonderful sauces. The polenta side was also excellent. The mushroom side was average. The Sicilian mushroom pizza was a good starter. Wine by the glass was good. The ambiance with the energetic crowd made for a nice change from the norm. Worth another visit.Special Features:
- Not worth itProudVeggieDined on 9/10/2014The venerable old Pump Room was a Chicago delight. This new "Pump Room" is a disaster from the stained carpet to the overpriced menu items. We expect the experience to be worth the price. Two of the people at our table ordered the ravioli and got three for $18.00. One person ordered the salmon and got a 4 ounce portion for $27.00. We were seated at a large round table that wobbled every time someone leaned on it. I also don't understand the paper placemats that aren't much different than the ones at Denny's. For those prices you would think they can afford to clean the carpets, use nice placemats and fix the tables. Everyone at our table thought the food was too salty and no one left feeling sated. Save your money.
- Great foodYummyVIPDined on 9/7/2014One of the best brunches in Chicago - the food is soo good!Special Features:
- First timeopentablerDined on 9/5/2014This was our first experience at the Pump Room but have been wanting to try it for a while since it is in walking distance of where we live. The environment and energy inside the restaurant is lively, the food and cocktails were delicious, and our server was helpful and very pleasant. We would come back here in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh so worth it!FlipetteDined on 9/5/2014I looked up "girls night out in Chicago" and the Pump Room popped right up. I've never heard of it, but thought I'd give it a try based on the reviews. The ambiance, food, service - unbelievable! We decided to do the Tasting Menu with the wine suggestions. Each selection that was served, from the sashimi, to the Myer Lemon Pasta, to the dessert and all of the wines was scrumptious, sublime, ORGASMIC! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Simply SublimeShackletonVIPDined on 8/31/2014The fried Chicken and the salmon shashimi on crispy rice are absolutely to die for. The kale salad is heavenly as well. Great cocktails, beautiful atmosphere, and great service. One of my all time favorite restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Experience!LJDPDined on 8/30/2014We had drinks and appetizers here about a year ago and always wanted to come back for dinner. We read a few mixed reviews but we had an absolutely outstanding dinner and are so happy that we made it back! We did the tasting menu since there were so many items that we wanted to try and loved everything. The dining area is beautiful. The ambience was romantic yet there were groups, too. Our server was very professional. Overall, amazing experience and we felt the price was reasonable for an upscale dinner.Special Features:
- Bad ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/25/2014I went here for mine and my gfs anniversary after she loved her first time dining there. I NEVER complain about anything in the food services industry because I understand the difficulties, but this was probably the worst service I ever had. It was very confusing because people who came in well after us were getting there food all around us while we waited and waited. When the food did finally come, the short ribs I ordered was more than 50% fat with very little meat on it. My gf's chicken was dry and seemingly overcooked. People around us seemed to be getting served just fine, so I have no idea what was going on. Overall, bad experience and I won't be going back.
- Pump room experiencechicagofoodieDined on 8/22/2014The Pump Room has an extensive menu and the food is delicious. I considered going to another restaurant that could be similarly categorized but the menu at the Pump Room was superior. The staff is very attentive, friendly and helpful and the restaurant has an interesting history and stylish decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TAstyFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014The tasting menue was great. Wonderful choices. Good value.Special Features:
- Good food; disorganized servicechicagogoVIPDined on 8/21/2014While we liked our waiter, we waited entirely too long for a drink to be delivered (15 minutes), followed by a real lag in the delivery of food. For the prices the Pump Room charges, they need to organize their kitchen and bar to provide better service. If you're going to make me wait 40 minutes for my appetizer, bring me some bread or an amuse bouche.
- Inventive FoodRenzoVIPDined on 8/16/2014Always enjoy the Pump Room. Food is good and reasonable value. Scene upbeat but not too loud. Lovely neighborhood. Wine list just okay and over-priced.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu is delicioustr1983Dined on 8/16/2014I dined here recently with a large group. We had to add a few people to our reservation late, and the hostesses were very accommodating. Food was amazing. The spare rib and salmon sashimi were some of th breath things I've had in a while. But, service was slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Revisiting the Pump Room.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014One of the bummers was my friend not being able to order the 3 items she wanted as she is allergic to shellfish and they fry everything in one fryer! Really??? They can't afford another fryer?? At least the waitress DID ask if we had any food allergies,or it could have been really bad for her. On the other hand, the kale salad was amazing! One of the best salads I've had in a long time. I'd go back just for that. As was the pineapple martini that they made special for me. Delicious! We also devoured the marinated olives, and I liked my "fried chicken". The ambience was nice and I loved the orb lighting. But very, very noisy!!! I am glad that I gave it a try, as I always loved the old pump room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The food was delicious and our waiter was friendly and joked with us from time to time as well as giving us recommendations on food and wine when we asked. My girlfriend is still talking about how good the pasta dish was. This isn't a place I would go regularly, since it is a bit pricey, but it was worth it for a fancy night out for my girlfriend's birthday.Special Features:
- Always the best.MichellechicagoVIPDined on 8/4/2014I'm never disappointed with Pump Room. This isn't their fault but the 2 things I was looking forward to are out of season or replaced for now (scallops & Brussel sprouts). But that means I'll have to come back :) drinks are always delicious and we were seated immediately. We ordered the salmon, short ribs and walleye and everyone was happy. Our server, Matt, was excellent and offered his opinions and suggestions. I can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Elegant and trendyFoodiesJJDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I came from out of town and booked ahead. We asked for a booth and said it was a special occasion. The staff made every effort to make our anniversary wonderful, including giving us the Sinatra booth. Food was incredible and the restaurant was gorgeous. Everyone was so nice and we had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaffArdieVIPDined on 8/1/2014Enjoyed our dinner, waitstaff very knowledgeable, great menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWFuzzballVIPDined on 8/1/2014Everything we had was top notch. Broccoli (side) the best ever. Pasta with lemon meyer sauce, perfect Fish cooked to perfection. OMG the hamburger was to good to describe. Service was attentive but not hovering. The next night we went to Spiaggia our all time favorite! As much as I hate to say this: We all agreed should have back to Pump Room. The Pump Room is just that good.
- Not your grandmother's Pump RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/31/2014Good service, good food, but geared toward 20-somethings - those who don't know the legendSpecial Features:
- great food and atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/30/2014I have been to the Pump Room on numerous occasions and have never been disappointed! The food is wonderful, the drinks are never a disappointment and the atmosphere is outstanding. The waiters are very accommodating, knowledgeable and give great advice on what to order!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceEatoutmuchDined on 7/30/2014It took us 3-1/2 hours to have a business dinner. The service was slow. No one really checked on us and we sat with dirty plates for a long time between courses. They didn't bring out any servicing utensils with any of the dishes even though they knew we were all sharing.
- Always AmazingAshTVIPDined on 7/30/2014Another fabulous meal, experience, and evening. The food is always amazing, we have yet to order anything we didn't love. The service was incredible as usual and the atmosphere was just lively enough for a mid-week birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Very impressedeoddoDined on 7/28/2014I was very impressed with the Pump Room. Two friends and I did the tasting menu for my 31st birthday. Our server was knowledgeable, engaged in conversation and had good drink recommendations. They treated us extremely well for my birthday, the food was really good and I had a great time. I would go back. The soy glazed pork ribs were phenomenal. I also liked the ice cream which had a peanut butter flavor and carmel corn with chocolate syrup. What I liked about the tasting menu is that the portions were not too big. I was full at the end but not uncomfortably stuffed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014Really enjoyed the food and the server was great however the food came out quite slowly -- we waited longer than I hoped between courses.
- So coolOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014The space is remarkable. My friends and I had an outstanding time. Every staff member we interacted with were professional, friendly, and accommodating. All the dishes were incredible.Special Features:
- It's no longer the "Pump Room"HawkeyeDined on 7/26/2014The experience was a huge let down after eating there several times in the past. It was cold and noisy. No table cloths, just paper mats. The waiter served a bottle of beer without a glass. The water was warm and when I asked for ice water, the waiter brought us a glass filled with ice. The food was good however I ordered red snapper but the bill said "bass". It was good but I don't know whether it was red snapper or sea bass. The sundae had nuts and popcorn in it. Popcorn???
- ClassypvcaryDined on 7/25/2014Overall I was pleased with Pump Room. It's a true Chicago gem with a cool ambience that's been around since the dark ages. Our waiter unfortunately gave us poor service but other waiters picked up his slack so we were fine. One thing to note, chances are your table won't be ready. Not because your table isn't ready, but because they want you to spend 40$ at the bar on cocktails before hand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Was WrongeduardoDined on 7/25/2014In town for a meeting and a local colleague tried to dissuade me from going to the Pump Room for dinner. I am so very happy that I did not take his advice! The tasting menu was delicious and very reasonably priced. As was the wine pairing (the pours themselves were generous too.) The dining room and adjacent bar were vibrant. The Pump Room is awesome. If locals snub it, then fine - - that just leaves more room for us visitors to enjoy!Special Features:
- Hot Spot2timeoffenderDined on 7/25/2014The Pump Room is definitely a hot spot with a lively sceen going on. Everyone had a relaxed fashion look going for themselves, not to stuffy. The food was great. My beef tenderloin was cooked just the way I asked. The food was light and great. The ambiance was very trendy and cool.Special Features:
- Not greatEnjoydiningout01Dined on 7/24/2014Took 30 minutes to get a drink after we were sent to bar because they said table was not ready. But several open tables. Waitress apologized several times saying service bar busy. Not a good excuse when u see other bartenders standing around. Food was like tapas size, not that I want a huge portion but the walleye looked like two large dice on sautéed peppers for $28.00. Then they didn't have the wine I chose and wouldn't give me the next one up for the same price. He wasn't even really nice about it. Service was rushed was almost done before we got r wine. Was sat next to little kids. Not that I don't like kids but don't want to go to a place like that and have to feel like I'm at chunky cheese. It was very pricey for the experience.
- Best in ChicagoFreddieDined on 7/21/2014I came with my wife to Chicago as part of out honeymoon. No place or restaurant blew us away like the Pump Room did. The staff was amazing. So helpful, knowledgable, fun, and engaging. The drinks were made to perfection and not overpriced. The food was unbelievable!! Presentation, taste, freshness all were impeccable. You can tell it is a frequently changing menu for drinks and food. The bartender cut up the garnishes for the drinks in front of us. For the entire honeymoon which included San Diego, no place can top the Pump Room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoRGCSFCDined on 7/18/2014This hotel is for a young crowd. The signature tasting for $65 was a good choice. Tables are too close, when you try to back up to get out you bump into the person behind you. Just not comfort oriented.Special Features: