Pump Room-Public Hotel
1301 N State Parkway
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Pump Room-Public Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pumproom.com/
- Phone: (312) 601-2970
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am
Saturday and Sunday 9am - 3pm
Monday – Friday 11:30am – 2:30pm
Friday and Saturday 5:00pm-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Moosah Reaume
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: At night, The Pump Room Bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30’s and 40’s with a modern twist. Offerings include late night signature small plates; local and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.
For reservations call Caroline Mogavero at 312.229.6771 or email Caroline at email@example.com
A word from Pump Room-Public Hotel
The Pump Room restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by Three Star Michelin rated and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors and regional flavors.Offerings in the bar include small plates as well as local and international draught and bottled beer;and specialty cocktails crafted by Jean-Georges, and great music.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pump Room-Public Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (123)special occasion (119)hot spot (98)romantic (90)vibrant bar scene (76)good for groups (72)neighborhood gem (69)great for brunch (31)notable wine list (26)late-night find (24)great for lunch (21)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Ambiance is Better Than The Foodlilturkey517Dined on 11/19/2014Great service and great ambiance! Mediocre food. Foodies will complain. Those who aren't won't notice and will be distracted by the elaborate decor. Very pricey for quality of food, ($24 burger!) Great, very attentive server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, nice touchesjchiuDined on 11/16/2014Great service from our server, really welcoming and accommodating. The concierge was also pleasant, and easy going. A little odd for the washroom to be such a trek, but nonetheless a great dining experience. Choices are a tad overwhelming, but all stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very different experience that typical-it changedcourtneyDined on 11/16/2014our server ordered my dish incorrectly. She then brought on a side dish (which did not look good at all) the correct item. We spend a lot of money for what was a LAMO meal. I would need to think twice about going back. Overpriced for what the value was this past SundayI would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2014Service was unacceptably slow. Seemed to be driven by a backed up bartender -- odd, as neither bar nor the restaurant seemed all that busy. Still tipped $70 on $330 check, but won't be going back soon.
- DisappointingMacaroniiceVIPDined on 11/8/2014We were so looking forward to trying the Pump Room. We were so disappointed. The food was outstanding, however, everything else was as far from outstanding as you can get. The ambiance is sterile and noisy. The service was bad. The table they put us at was terrible and when I requested a different table the hostess was obnoxious. The food was great, but not enough to get back there. Too many fabulous places to go in the city.
- Messed up a 50th bday celebration!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014I reserved a table to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. I requested a special dessert when I made the reservation online, I confirmed my request (when they called me to confirm my RESV) and that night I again confirmed with hostess that it was arranged. I was assured everything was fine. We ordered the prix fixe menu with wine pairing. It felt like they tried to rush us through the meal and we never received the special birthday dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/5/2014November 5, 2014 Lunch for three. Expensive, but... Interesting, if brief menu and obscure wine list. Excellently prepared and beautifully presented butternut squash soup. Ditto the tuna tartar, molded above ripe avocado. Valet parking expensive, but required in this neighborhood. The sole shame is the tale of the Pump in the original name Pump Room, as well as remnants thereof, have been lost.
- ChrisVIPDined on 11/2/2014The overall service was surprisingly weak for Pump Room. Multiple items were forgotten.Special Features:
- Non memorableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014We went here for our 20th wedding anniversary. What a disappointment. Very loud and tables are so close you can hear the conversation of the person sitting next to you, bit cant't hear what the person accross your own table is saying. Food was overproced for what you get. Clipboards for menues? At the pumproom? They distroyed a great name. If you have a group over 4 you will have a good time, just talk really loud to be heard. Couples trying to have a romatic dinner, go elsewhere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Waiter came late to our table. Service after was ok.Special Features:
- Modern version of an old classiclfgalDined on 10/31/2014Incredible experience to dine where all the Hollywood royalty have dined over the years. This was a popular destination because it was a halfway point on the train route between Broadway and Hollywood. The decor changed from traditional white dentil molding to a classy modern polished feel. My husband found a new drink - rum old fashioned with an expressed orange swath. My meal was simply prepared with a tasty beef tenderloin and incredible small baby peppers to dip in an exquisite chili foam sauce. Dessert was divine, including a glass filled with a layer of hot fudge, caramel corn, peanuts, salted caramel ice cream and whipped cream. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Nostalgic PlaceSjschaubDined on 10/29/2014This is my second time and the atmosphere is amazing. The bar is unique and the food is excellent. Second time in two months would highly recommend but is pricey.Special Features:
- Continuing the great traditionRChicagoFoodieVIPDined on 10/28/2014I took a friend to celebrate his birthday. When I told him we were going to the Pump Room he said "I love that place. What a great idea!" It's been a while since I had been there and was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful room and welcoming host and hostess. The tone for a wonderful evening was set. Food was outstanding. The lamb chops were cooked to perfection and flavorful. Salmon was also a home run . Topped it all off with a cucumber cake, which tastes much better than one might expect from the name. Special thanks to the staff who remembered my friends birthday, as I had just mentioned it once when we arrived. I'll be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outoftownerVIPDined on 10/26/2014i see that the reviews here are mixed. i have to say I have been here 3 times now over the past 2 years and each time the meal was exceptional. the lemon pasta was great, the codfish appetizer was amazing, and the scallops were fab. it is consistently good in my book and the atmosphere is casual chic which makes a perfect backdrop for the evening.Special Features:
- CynthiaDined on 10/26/2014Like all of the Jean Georges restaurants I've experienced, the Pump Room was as good as all the others and a real treat for Chicago to have! Worth the trip back -- CynthiaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it !LINDRDined on 10/23/2014We enjoyed every bite and our server was wonderful. Best Lamb ever, and that Lemon Pasta was to die for!!!Special Features:
- Brunch was a MissOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2014I have eaten here previously but only for dinner. This was the first time I ate there for brunch. We ordered drinks when the waitress greeted us, then when she came back we ordered something small to share while we still decided. We waiting probably 20 minutes for our drinks and were done with the small plate before the drinks arrived. It was not a spectacular dining experience. The table near by spoke to manager about how substandard the whole process was. My meal was to come with toast but it never arrived, we literally left cash on the table and left after the entire experience took way to long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this place!Luv2eatDined on 10/18/2014My first time and it was a great experience! Great food, nice atmosphere and excellent customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but we will be backmmkchicagoVIPDined on 10/17/2014We had a great time at Pump Room. The ambiance is supper club, but not quite as dark as I would have expected. We tried a bunch of different food, the fried chicken, the burrata with meyer lemon jam, the taggliatelle and the prosciutto flatbread. All were fantastic. Our waiter was very knowledgeable on the menu and where the ingredients come from. It was really a special night. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space - disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/16/2014Beautiful restaurant. Clearly one of the best new 'old' spaces in Chicago. But, the food disappointed. Fried chicken that left a Nashville expert wishing for that luscious buttermilk and flour re-dipped chicken that made the food famous. Cod that was tasty, but served with broccoli that didn't really complement the dish. When I asked for berries for dessert, I got just that, as if someone had dumped them into a soup bowl without any thought at all. We'll be back for a drink and soak up the atmosphere, but will dine elsewhere next time.
- Consistently AwesomeMattSVIPDined on 10/14/2014The ambiance is elegant and fun. The food is fantastic and this is my 20th time here, consistently awesome. The only thing changing is the service, our guy was laid back and not very interested in much but the runners and back waiters were great and very helpful. This place is here to stay!Special Features:
- barryVIPDined on 10/11/2014tuna tartare was very salty, salad was good, snapper was good, cookie was good, wall"eye" was not good drink took a long time to get server was great, but service declined as night went on.....? oddSpecial Features:
- Service and food were excellent.MaryB364Dined on 10/7/2014I would say the pluses of this restaurant were the service as well as the food. The music volume for the restaurant was a bit on the loud side. The updated interior wasn't quite what we expected because of some older reviews we had read, but it was very modern, clean and pleasing. When we asked them to turn down the volume of the music, they were very responsive and concerned that we have a good experience, and they did turn the music volume down. I ordered items from their special "Breast Cancer Awareness" prix fixe menu, and all the items were excellent. I would recommend this for someone looking for a modern trendy restaurant with up-to-date cocktails and menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationEastboundDined on 10/7/2014Birthday celebration for 2 with OUSTANDSING service. Our waiter was helpful, friendly, and great. The cocktails we opened with were VERY slow in coming with the restaurant filled about 70% to capacity on a Tuesday. Not our waiter's fault. On a one to ten scale the food was a solid seven. Some portions were quite skimpy for the price. The cake presentation was excellent for a birthday, but not complimentary. Not as posh as I remember from the bygone era, but contemporary updates were probably a response to current market realities. For some reason, at six feet tall I seemed to be sitting too low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlesaleDined on 10/5/2014Food was very creative, yet simple. Very modern decor, probably not to everyones liking. Remodeling of hotel lobby was very nicely done. The food was excellent through out the meal. Nothing like the original Pump Room but very good in its own right. The kale salad was very good-seafood was perfectly cooked and sauced.Special Features:
- poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014the food was quite good but the service provided by our waiter was terrible. He rarely checked in and we could not even find him to flag him down. He forgot several of the small requests we made of him.Special Features:
- just misses the markOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014-we were sat next to the hostess stand (felt like we were in the alley) -the fish was dry and tasted frozen -our main server was good, but everyone else seemed disinterested. "here's your food" with no explanation of what we were eating, etc.Special Features:
- Great place to see and be seen.MarleenDined on 10/3/2014Came here for an early dinner at 6. It Was not to packed with people yet but has the potential to be. All the good was amazing! Service was great. Drinks were great! Only bad thing was we did not have time for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Quiet LunchPaperdollVIPDined on 10/2/2014The menu is interesting, some items quite unique, and the four of us tried several dishes all of which we liked very much. The service is excellent and our table near the windows was conducive to conversation. It will be more on the expensive side, but we stayed as long as we wanted and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary and upbeatGuideGalDined on 9/30/2014Open, cool vibe with very attentive service and a nice spectrum of delightful menu choices. The tuna tower appetizer is one of the best I've ever had, a must have for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved ItNikoleanVIPDined on 9/29/2014I really enjoyed my meal here and our server was fantastic.Special Features:
- FancysweettoothDined on 9/27/2014The Pump Room was beautifully decorated. I went for my birthday and it was a very fancy way to celebrate. The food was amazing. I went with a girlfriend of mine and we shared the heirloom tomato salad for our appetizer. I had the red snapper and she had a flatbread. I also had their bellini. Everything was perfectly delicious. I highly recommend it for special occasions!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerReVaDined on 9/26/2014The table was not ready and reservation time and it took quite some time to get us seated finally. The food was good, but we were not wowed in anyway. One of the pizzas had a spinach topping that tasted burnt/charred and all of my guests despised it. Recipe should be reviewed. Our server John was nice and Natalie was great and extremely helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as it used to be!DisappointedDined on 9/26/2014When the Pump Room first opened it was a lovely, hip but elegant spot to enjoy fine food in a modern, yet elegant setting. The food was excellent, and the service superior - you felt special dining, even when it was not a special occasion. Last night (which was a special occasion) the Pump Room felt as if it was resting on its laurels; the place was hopping, filled with the young and chic, and thus, there appeared to be no sense of necessity to pay personal attention (in a sincere way) to the customers. The food was good, but not particularly extraordinary and the service was perfunctory - the silverware was not even replaced between courses. The music was blaring. Too bad, I loved this place previously, I will likely not return.Special Features:
- Very nice!JocesweetDined on 9/26/2014My husband and I ate here on a whim. He had been to the old Pump Room years ago so was excited to revisit. When I saw Jean-Georges created the menu and concept I was in. The decor is fun and they have a great bar area for being in a hotel. We started with the olives and also the burratta - both excellent. My husband had the crispy chicken, it was delicious. I had the sea bass, also very good. The polenta was pretty spicy, but tasty for a side dish. The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wouldn't Go Back30yearslaterDined on 9/22/2014Décor poor; service slow; food not great and very small portions for the price; carpet filthy.
- RandVIPDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was very busy that night. We arrived about 40 minutes prior to our reservation. The bar was very active but we were able to grab a coupled of seats at the bar. Our server was very pleasant and informative. She had a good knowledge of the wine list. the appetizers came out on time but then we waited at least 50-an hour for our main course. We inquired to the server about the long wait and or main course came out shortly thereafter. My Halibut was poached and very dry, my fiance's pasta was very gooey for lack of a better word. The server did take the pasta off the check. The Pump Room has a lot of history and I hope they get the food service together or this will be a one and out for a lot of folksSpecial Features:
- Impeccable food!applernDined on 9/20/2014The scene here is definitely upbeat! Its located inside of the Public Hotel. You must get the fried chicken breast, it is the most tender and moist chicken I have ever had! The drinks are good here as well. Love the decor! You can take the kiddies for dinner early evening and/or have a romantic night out for late evening because its a vibrant ambiance for night life!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/19/2014Loved it. Five of us in our group and each of us thought our individual meal was amazing.Special Features:
- NiknDined on 9/13/2014Loved the tasting menu and wine pairing! What a treat!!Special Features: