11 Doyers Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pulquerianyc.com/
- Phone: 2122273099
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 12:00am, Bar: Monday - Saturday 6:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Regional Mexican, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Michael Frazier
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: We have a DJ in house Wednesday to Saturday from 9:30pm to 2am
- Special Events:
Please contact our events coordinator
A word from Pulqueria
Pulqueria, named after the working class taverns in Mexico City, is an authentic Mexican restaurant and bar tucked away in Chinatown. Owners Christopher and Heather Tierney, the brother-sister duo behind the neighboring cocktail bar, Apotheke, have created a another visually stunning space, utilizing Mexican design materials and a riff on ancient Aztec culture. Chef Nacxitl Gaxiola has created a menu that captures the bracing flavors and freshness of Mexico City's local markets and street food. The bar, headed up by mixologist Isidro Gutierrez serves a masterful selection of tequila and mezcals, as well as New York's only 'curados de pulque,' a specialty cocktail made from the agave plant.Continued
Please note, parties of 10 or more are required to dine with our $45 per person prix-fixe menu. Please take a look at the menu tab for more information.
Please note, parties of 10 or more are required to dine with our $45 per person prix-fixe menu. Please take a look at the menu tab for more information.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pulqueria reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (19)fit for foodies (19)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (19)neighborhood gem (18)late-night find (17)romantic (12)special occasion (11)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- ****DanielDined on 10/9/2014You can have mexican non-junk food here, close to what you can have in regular good restaurants in mexico city. They also serve standard mexican junk-food (didn't try it though). I don't think you can find pulque in another place (however, the plain pulque didn't looked and tasted as the true pulque. Probably it is an attempt to introduce the beverage to foreign palate.) However, prices are too high. Don't know if it is because of the rent, good wages, expensive inputs,... Overall, good, expensive and it can improve a lot, after all we are talking about "enchiladas"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not really impressed!RrrrrrrrDined on 9/2/2014Waitstaff didn't really check on us. Rice was hard. Drinks came late for what reason?Special Features:
- Hidden gemjamesmulvDined on 8/25/2014Wow. Pulqueria was recommended to be by a colleague. I took my girlfriend here for her birthday. She is from Texas and frequently complains that there is no legit Mexican food in new york. We both fell in love with this place. The wait staff gave great recommendations and the food was unparalleled. The chicken enchilada with the tomatillo sauce was off the charts! We went on Monday and it was pretty quiet inside. I cannot speak for the rest of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a hidden localeRBnycDined on 8/22/2014It was my birthday, and unfortunately one loud group behind us had a birthday too making it difficult to hear. Food and drinks were great though guacamole and chips were a great starterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best.tacos.ever.MexicanmavenDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I went for an early dinner (last minute reso, only 6pm or 9pm) at 6pm when they were just opening on a Friday so things were quiet. Service was a little slow given that the place was empty but some people might consider the same tempo as politely non-pushy. The tacos were the best I've had in the city, and I've had a lot of tacos. The shrimp were spectacular, the pork was perfect and the chicken (usually bland and uninspired) were perhaps the best of all. Margaritas were very solid. Would skip the salsas unless you are dining with a bigger group. There were 5, all pretty spicy, and it was just too much for a table of two. Guac was good and house made chips were tasty but a bit over/unevenly seasoned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for drinksChefFedDined on 8/21/2014First off, the drinks are amazing. The food, meh. The prices, wooohaaah. 70 bucks for Tacos that aren't any better than street food and drinks that, admittedly, are state of the art.Special Features:
- Fun Find!CTNYCGALDined on 8/12/2014Love the secret entrance and the Mexican Indian ambiance inside. Had an amazing passion fruit margarita in the spacious bar and then moved into the cool dining room and onto the food! We shared everything- highlights were the guacamole with the salsa tower, shrimp tacos, queso fundido (once they made it hot enough), chicken mole and THE CORN! It was hoppin for a Tuesday night, but I was told wed- sat is when one should go because of the music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great but service was notSamberDined on 7/26/2014When we arrived for a birthday dinner after making a reservation on Open Table, they didn't have out table ready and we had to wait 30 minutes. This was bothersome, because we were on a time constraint and would now have to rush through dinner in order to get to the next event on time. When we were finally seated, the waiter didnt come to take our order for about 15 minutes so we had to flag down someone else to go get him. When he finally came- he was great, very nice. I put on my open table request comments and asked the bartender to tell our waiter that it was a birthday dinner and asked that a dessert came out. The bartender instead told our waiter that I would come talk to him. This messed everything up and the surprise was ruined.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super mexi placeAnnisbeeDined on 7/3/2014Super good food and magic margeritas! Fun location and also try bar next door Apotheke! Perfect night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny Portions and Spendyeater31Dined on 7/2/2014Tiny portions, very expensive for what you get and be sure to watch the bill. We got a $14 tiny portion of guacamole, small tacos that were two per order for $13-15 and they overcharged us on our drinks on our bill. Wont be back.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Pulqueria reviews archive.
- lite bites...foodies4lifeDined on 6/7/2014My husband & I ordered a traditional margarita & a traditional Pulque. Both were delish. Appetizer: Octopus salad - So light and good to the last bite. Main meal: Husband ordered sausage tacos & I ordered fish tacos. He said that his was exquisite. Mine were okay. We both had to order 2 sides because we would have left hungry. Our sides were the rice & beans. Both yummy and a must if the tacos are all you plan on ordering. Dessert: Scrumptious! The Churros & Chocolate were divine. They were served HOT & yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live2EatVIPDined on 6/6/2014Cute hidden spot in the middle of chinatown. Good drinks but food portion was quite small for the price. Food was decent. I would likely go back for drinks instead of dinner. Waiter had his cellphone in his hand when he took our order which I thought was a little unprofessional, however, it did not take away from his focus/service on us.Special Features:
- Horrible hostess ruined bdaycoco10014VIPDined on 6/5/2014Made a reservation for a group of 8 and confirmed with a person on the phone the day before. My friends and I arrived only to be told that there are no tables for 8 people and they couldn't accommodate us because other people have reservations and looked at us as though we arrived without any reservations. They seated us at a booth for 4 and didn't offer us any additional stools and the hostess didn't apologize and the service was horrible. They suggested we leave and go elsewhere even though it was for a birthday that we made the reservations. Completely unacceptable.
- Chinese Mexican?!ttttVIPDined on 6/4/2014to have a good Mexican venue in the middle of Chinatown is great! but in a virtually empty dining room - why would you need to seat me right next to the only other occupied table? and then as the dining room filled up - several large tables arrived at the same time - the two waiters seemed to become overwhelmed - which was unfortunate - as they had been quite attentive beforehand - nonetheless the food is good the atmosphere fun - know that this is not the romantic spot that you might be looking for - it is impossible to hear each other as the room fills up -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!carrieecDined on 5/24/2014amazing! Best food we've had in a looong time! Would go back every weekend!Special Features:
- Love the authenticityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2014Food was great, service was great, they let you hang out and really slow the food if you want to chat. If you don't you can be in and out. Dark, cute, best margaritasSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Mex in ChinatownKBDKVIPDined on 4/19/2014Really worth the trip and wonderful food and atmosphere for anyone looking for a unique experience and great mexican food in middle of china townSpecial Features:
- charley19Dined on 4/1/2014been here a couple of times and always good food...Special Features:
- great food, terrible servicelga717Dined on 3/27/2014I've been here before and it has always been an all-around good experience. However, my group and i were sitting for 45 minutes before I finally had to get up and ask a hostess for a new waiter since we had not seen ours since our drink order. We constantly had to ask for water and drink refills and half of our food order was forgotten. Won't be returning any time soon.Special Features:
- Great service! The hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/27/2014Great service! The hostess was very accommodating and everything went well. Fun bar and interesting food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The guac wasn't anything special,HoughtonDined on 3/27/2014The guac wasn't anything special, but wasn't bad. The pork belly torta: Very flavorful and filling, couldn't even finish it. Drinks: not impressive. My friend got the cucumber jalapeno margarita & white peach margarita, me: classic margarita & it tasted like lemon juice was used, not lime. Each drink had LOTS of ice in a small glass and just tasted like flavored water. For $13/$14 cocktails, very disappointing. Service got a lower score, because although our server was very nice, the hostess hovered around around table once we got and paid for the check. Once the check was paid she came back hovering behind my friend with new silverware and glasses. I understand there are other reservations behind us but that just made us uncomfortable.Special Features:
- One of the greatest finds!JojoVIPDined on 3/26/2014One of the greatest finds! I don't really want to tell anyone about this restaurant for fear that it will get even busier than it already is. Wonderful Mexican cuisine - lots of options for vegetarians - great drinks.Special Features:
- Good date-spotGkochDined on 3/22/2014My girlfriend and I came here on a date. I had been before but she hadn't, and it was very fun to even just walk with her to the spot. She was so scared at first on our way there, but once inside she loved it. Food is excellent although overpriced and drinks are delicious. I'm all for the margarita pitcher. I also came here once for a birthday which was really fun. All around excellent spot to hangout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.LouisDined on 3/21/2014Too noisy, didn't have half of what we wanted to order. Staff had a bit of an attitude. Would recommend for a drinking night. Not my favorite Mexican in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch ServicefoodmachineDined on 3/7/2014This spot is literally a hidden gem on a historic street. The staff were engaging and attentive. The food and drinks were creative and amazing. The big brother bar next door Apotheke was incredible. Those bartenders mean business in those lab coats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre service, we wereMollyDined on 3/6/2014Mediocre service, we were denied to change our table (that was right by the door and FREEZING) because someone had "reserved" all other tables. AT least 3 tables further back in the restaurant were free all through our dinner so was disappointed we weren't moved. Restaurant was also out of a lot of things, such as all beer's on the menu, ingredients for cocktails etc.
- Rude Service At The BarCaligirlDined on 2/27/2014We were so excited to host our friend's birthday party at Pulqueria. The place has a very cool vibe - underground and hipster. But the place was empty? A place like this should be packed on a Thursday night between 7pm - 11pm. I figured out why it's empty. The people behind the bar were SO rude! I guess they just want to hang out in an empty restaurant pretending to be too cool - because they certainly don't want people to have a good time at their venue. Oh Well. We won't be back. Food was so-so.
- Expected moreShu1050Dined on 2/26/2014Found the food to be overpriced for what it is. Extensive drink menu. Found it charming that the restaurant is tucked away and that the entrance is unmarked. With so many other restaurants in the city, I would not come back unless I was in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- BadAlimVIPDined on 2/22/2014I booked a table a few weeks in advance for a birthday party. They sat us over 30minutes late and were not following up or touching base with as we waited, instead I had to come up every 10-15minutes while the different hostesses lied about where the table was in their meal ( first they paid, then they were paying, then they just gt the bill). I would have excepted first not to wait that long after I made a reservation and so follow up and a bit more apologetic hostess. After we were seated the service was terrible. We all had to frequently flag other servers to order drinks, get water and order our entrees. Last time I go here. Very disappointed.
- An adventure to get thereTROCKSDined on 2/22/2014Bit of a sketchy alley that the restaurant is located on but adds to its cool vibe. You might think you are going to get mugged but then you realize there are tons of people around. Underground treasure - FOOD was AMAZING. Service was friendly and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food so good butabl14Dined on 2/21/2014Service no that well, I made a reservation and my table wasn't ready on time. Waiting 20 min. Food took longe, but it was so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big Mexico in Little ChinaEricLDined on 2/20/2014This place is definitely my favorite Mexican restaurant in New York. From the mystique of walking down a Chinatown curved street, entering into a subterranean vibe, with great service, and food that pops your taste buds. All positives from me! Will continue to be a regular spot for me.Special Features:
- Hidden gem in china townJohnnyPepDined on 2/15/2014One of the best Mexican restaurants I've ever been to. Once you find this underground, speakeasy type place you will fall in love with it! The decor is authentic Mexican and the wait staff is friendly and efficient. The food is incredible and reasonably priced. The salsa tower is amazing and the tacos are delicious! The drinks are exotic and quite tasty yet pricey (my one drink was more than my meal!) highly recommend this hidden gem just bring along the address as it is not easy to spot from the street!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend in townlivinthedreamDined on 2/15/2014My family, wife and three daughers, traveled to NYC for an vernight and show. We found Pulqueria via a CBS news link on Gluten Free gems. I have gluten challenges and one of my daughters is also alergic to dairy. We were very happy with the food options and the knowledge and attention of the wait staff in investigating some dishes as it pertained to dairy. Gluten free was a topic the waitress needed no support in, she was very confident on what was not, and most was GF. The drinks and food were extremely flavor rich. The only draw back, was the restaurant itself was rather cold during our meal. The entire restaurant if below grade which may contribute to the cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pretty good night...HexsignVIPDined on 2/15/2014Our wait staff was lovely and attentive. My food was very good from the chips and salsa to the entree, and the cocktails were great. It's also tucked away in an unsuspecting corner of Chinatown, adding a little adventure to your dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodNycPrincessDined on 2/15/2014The food and atmosphere was pretty cool. Waiter was very nice. And the place looked pretty cool too. Just alittle to dark. This was my valentines dinner, and I'm pretty happy with the choice I made. Even thought the location was pretty creepy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing valentine's dayPieceandBugDined on 2/14/2014We thought the food was AMAZING, especially the masa quesadilla with chicken, and the braised beef taco. We also got a flight of mezcal and enjoyed being able to sample and share the three types. The decor was really unique and beautiful and we were well taken care of. The rose petals and candles were a sweet touch. We had an awesome time and will totally be coming back with a group of friends for a big party night dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican in ChinatownttttVIPDined on 2/10/2014who would think - Mexican food in Chinatown? the location and finding the relatively undermarked location is part of the charm - but once inside - it is quite a real feel gem. the hostess was doing something in the coat room for about ten minutes while we waited and waited - i hope the coats ended up okay. but once we were seated the decor was very appealing - our waitress friendly, attentive and informative - and the food - delicious - - - overall - very well done. note - this is not a quiet place - the crowd is younger and loud - this is not bad - but not exactly the romantic spot you might be wanting - we arrived just as the dining room was filling up (8:30pm) - and the noise level increased as the room filled -Special Features:
- Group celebrationDOEworkersDined on 2/7/2014Great for birthday celebration. It's was a little cold and very noisy.Special Features:
- Still a great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2014Arrive early and definitely try their fantastic concept next door. Apothéke - A real gem. Also, try the grilled off-the-cob corn. Excellent!Special Features: