1147 Kensington Cres NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1X7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pulcinella.ca/
- Phone: (403) 283-1166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Domenic Tudda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer an extensive catering menu, which also includes items not listed on our regular dining menu, that will provide you with a fantastic Italian cuisine for your upcoming event.
Please call us directly, and we would be more than happy to put together a package for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Book Pulcinella for your private event! Pulcinella will close it's doors to the public to host private events. Book either the main floor of Pulcinella or our upper floor- or both! Available for lunch and dinner events any day of the week. Please call us directly, and we would be more than happy to provide you with more information about this great, private space and corresponding menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Marra 4032831166
- Cross Street: Kensington Road NW
- Public Transit: Pulcinella is only a 10 minute walk from the Sunnyside C-train station, and there are many city buses which pass through this popular and lively area just outside of downtown Calgary.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is a large amount of street parking available, as well as a very affordable parkade at the end of the block.
A word from Pulcinella
Executive Chef Domenic Tudda spent his childhood years learning of Italian cuisine while his family owned and operated Stromboli's restaurant in Calgary. He furthered his education by undergoing extensive culinary training in Italy and has been able to continue his parent's legacy of bringing unique and incredibly authentic Italian dining to Calgarians. One of the most revered of these ventures is Ristorante Pulcinella, where Domenic first earned distinction when his international training crossed borders and entered Calgary in the spring of 2006. One of the few APN (Associazione Pizzaioli Napolitani) certified pizzerias in the world, Domenic has been able to showcase his culinary skills, incredible wine knowledge, and passion for Italian cuisine to provide Calgary with a truly artistic, original and delicious experience not soon to be forgotten. Certainly not your classical North American pizza, it's definitely different, but definitely delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pulcinella reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (53)fit for foodies (53)neighborhood gem (49)notable wine list (40)special occasion (27)kid-friendly (23)hot spot (21)great for lunch (18)romantic (17)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (6)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good nightSheppieVIPDined on 11/20/2014Not the first time here. Food is good. Its good for a couple or a party. Pizza is good but needs to be cut before served as a knife and fork won't cut it very well..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats, bring ear plugsbinderDined on 11/15/2014The food itself was amazing. We had the parmesan tempura which was delicious, and two kinds of pizza. We were there meant to be on a romantic evening, but the room was so loud that at one point we had to resort to texting each other in order to hear each other - which is pretty bad. The tables were really close together, we got to hear all about how the man to our left was having an affair and how the lady to our right had just gone through a divorce but was still trying to pay for her son's hockey - needless to say it killed the mood somewhat. The large group across from us (about 11 people) were also getting quite frustrated with the sound, one member of their party was attempting to give a speech for their occasion, but no one could hear and she waved her arms around said something (that I couldn't hear) and sat down quite unhappy looking. Our waitress was lovely, good service and attentive. Overall it was wonderful food, but the atmosphere was just too loud. 'Without Papers' in Inglewood has comparable pizza, and while smaller, gets just as full - however their room is set up to absorb sound better and the tables are further apart creating a more enjoyable experience. We would return, but not for a romantic or special occasion. Maybe with friends just for drinks and eats when there is no important or relevant conversation to be had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bruschetta was GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014The bruschetta was the best we ever had! The Neapolitan type pizza is a nice change and was very good as well. We enjoyed an evening with a party of ten for my sons 25th birthday. And the service was great and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic pizza!!Jnow26Dined on 11/11/2014My husband and I go here at least once a month! Love the pizza! If you are looking for something sweet the nutella pizza, goes by another name think it's Saltanboca or something to that effect, is delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terribly unfriendly serviceDinnerOutDined on 11/8/2014If not for bringing my mom as an out of town guest I would have left the restaurant. In my reso I asked for comfortable seating to accommodate a back injury and they put us in hard plastic chairs. We asked to be moved to a table with a cushioned bench; they said no because someone was coming to that table but nobody did and we were offended and uncomfortable the entire time. Second, the server was so unfriendly, aggressive, & blatantly rude. We were chatting and he'd come to our table demanding if we were ready, and if we weren't he would literally shake his head and huff off. It was apalling and I will never recommend this place and will not return due to service alone. If I could have put zero stars in the service rating I would.
- Terrible service/ incredibly loudcinsmissDined on 11/7/2014My husband and I went for a long over due dinner together and were horribly disappointed with Pulcinella. The food was great however, the service was lousy. We had to wait over 45 minutes for our meals when our appetizer came within 3 minutes! And then when we asked for the bill, our server forgot about us and took about 40 mins to get it. This place was uncomfortably seated....too squishy and it was ridiculously loud. We won't be going back.
- Expensive for so-soEatsDined on 11/6/2014Went for a birthday dinner. We both had pasta. I had carbonara which was unbalanced,very salty.; too much pancetta . It was okay but I'd rate 2/5 based on other carbonara's. My dining companion had mushroom pasta and was disappointed the mushrooms did not stand out as a main ingredient-they did redo dish but it wasn't to her liking. Two bottles of sparkling water were a shocking 15$+ . Parmesan on arugula was good and desserts and coffee were good but mains were disappointing. We spent 101$ plus 15% tip. I'd propbably choose another Italian restaurant in future for the price and the volume because there are many fantastic similarly priced Italian restaurants which are not so loud. To be fair- in the past, their pizza has been good.
- Awesome serverBethVIPDined on 11/6/2014Pulcinella did authentic pizza that was tasty, but maybe a bit bland. Our server was awesome, friendly and hardworking. It was a fun evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't do it! go somewhere else.munstaDined on 10/30/2014So, I have been to Italy numerous times,Naples even... and Pulcinella is NOT authentic. Caprese salad served ice cold, I asked if it was previous made and stored in the fridge. The waitress replied,' yes, it was pre-made but the food is fresh'. It was so cold I felt like I was biting into ice cream. Really? The salad has tomatoes, cheese, and olive oil... does it need to be pre-made? The waitress notices I am not entertaining the salad and removes it I tell her I don't want another and will wait for my entree. A plate of WARM overcooked pasta. Which Italian restaurant can't cook pasta al dente!? Maybe the pizza is good, but I won't be back to try. The wine list was good and the best part of my meal, beside the sparkling water.
- Great Food, shady serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/24/2014Pulcinella has always been a great. The Food has always been amazing, the pizza is wonderful and crispy, slightly chewy. Unfortunately our latest experience was our last. To be blunt we felt like a used car salesman was serving us. He up-sold everything on the menu while glazing over any kinds of cost. Talked up the house wine not mentioning it was $20 a glass, same with adding buffalo mozzarella to the pies, another $4 each. To top it all off, he wouldn't even face us after quietly dropping off the bill, the poor bus-boy deal with our shock and anger. You know it's bad when even the bus-boy admits he isn't ‘cool’ with the sales techniques of the wait staff. Nothing ruins a meal more than poor shady service, even if the food is good.Special Features:
- good food, service so-soRBR1969VIPDined on 10/24/2014We have been to Pulconwlls before, great pizza. Can't understand why they don't cut the pizza before bring integrated to the table. A couple of steak knives are provided but the dough isn't easy to cut, ended up having to rip it into pieces. Waiter disappeared for the last 15 minutes. Would have liked to have dessert/coffee but kids were restless and since the waiter disappeared we had to just pay and go. Mussels also too tiny size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceCowtownVIPDined on 10/18/2014The service was very slow after we got our food. The food was only ok which does not cut it with the prices. The waitress was very rude at the end as I guess she felt she deserved more than 12% for the terrible service. I wish I had left nothing. We will not be back.
- Pricyjimmy54321Dined on 10/18/2014The food was good and the server was friendly, however the restaurant has high prices on drinks, appetizers and dessert. These items (drinks, appetizers and dessert) had prices 30 to 50% higher than comparable restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- RepoireThewholeexperienceDined on 10/11/2014Our waiter did not interact at all with our table. Did not have waiter skills. We had family from California and was so embarrassed. He never came by to ask us how our dinner was. Great restaurant but need to hire individuals who love this line if work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, as usualChickadeeDined on 10/7/2014I love pulcinella's! My dad and I came for dinner, and sent photos making the rest of our family jealous they weren't dining with us as well. We've NEVER had any remotely bad experience here, always exceeding expectation. And don't leave without trying the Saltimbocca!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Marguerita Pizza!LovinfoodDined on 10/7/2014I always order the same thing and have never been disappointed. Marguerita pizza and Nutella dessert...Yum! This time we had a treat and combined the nutella with mascapone and raspberry. They need to put it on the menu :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Delicious!!GannDined on 10/1/2014We started with the arugula, cantaloupe, pancetta salad which was fresh, so incredibly full of sweet & salty flavor and we loved it! We choose the CAPRICCIOSA - absolutely wonderful and authentically Italian! I would have it again and again! Wonderful wine, great food, love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatSoInCalgaryDined on 9/30/2014It is a nice restaurant, quite big, a bit noisy though. The food is good, but won't say it was excellent. Had several pizzas that were good but won't say it was as great as expected. The wine list is wide, a bit expensive maybe. But they are choices.Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysPizzaloveDined on 9/30/2014Had a fantastic lunch. It's been a while since u have eaten here but I will be back very soon. Great food and awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewtokensiDined on 9/26/2014The food was good. We sat at a small table with no lighting above, just a dim candle. Could barely read the menu when it got dark.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMarcoKarenDined on 9/26/2014Great experience, will be back for more, love the pizza and overall service was outstanding. Will recommended to ally friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible nightdinbearDined on 9/22/2014Extremely loud, mediocre service and good. An embarrassing choice.
- Ear splitting dinCleaneaterDined on 9/21/2014Far, far, far too loud. Couldn't wait to be done. The food was great but hard to enjoy whilst struggling to converse at the table.Special Features:
- Would go backWineandDineDined on 9/20/2014We had a reservation on Saturday night and had a great time, food and wine was really good I would highly recommend the Black Truffle pizza!! When I made the reservation I noted that it would be my bf's Birthday that evening, when we arrived they wished him Happy Birthday and threw in a couple yummy desserts for us. The only small complaint was that as the night went on past 8 o'clock I found the music upstairs a little loud for comfortable dinner conversation. We really enjoyed ourselves and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceCA328Dined on 9/19/2014Went here on a Friday night as a group of 4. Waited 45 mins from ordering just for antipasto plate to show up. Then waited another 45 mins for pizzas to show up. Server was apologetic but still doesn't really make up for crazy long wait times for the food. She was nice and comped us dessert - but would much preferred not to wait 1.5 hrs to eat our pizzas. We have been here before and service was a little slow last time - but not this bad. The food (once it showed up) was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit - will go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014This was our first visit to Pulcinella, on a recommendation from a friend. We were at Pulcinella on a weekend night, and the restaurant was completely full, with a line-up out the door, of folks waiting for tables. The ine took quite a while to arrive at the table, but it was delicious and was a great pairing with our salads & pizza dinner. The food was great - extremely fresh and tasty, nicely presented and reasonably priced (always a nice bonus!). We really enjoyed watching the pizza chefs prepare and cook the pizzas. We joked about it being "dinner and a show" all in one, but it really was entertaining to observe. We did find that the noise level was extremely high and it was sometimes difficult to hear each other and have a conversation, which was unfortunate. Overall, this was a great spot and we have since made return visits for lunch and for a weeknight dinner. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014If you want a good Italian pizza, including Pizza for desert this is place to go. Good Italian wine list as well. Teenage kids love the nutella desert pizza.Special Features:
- Great serviceSheppieVIPDined on 9/19/2014There was 8 of us last night and they kept up with the team. The food was good. They dont cut the pizza and it does make it hard as the middle crust is soggy and it rips. I would suggest cutting the pizza before serving it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchLunianaDined on 9/18/2014Took my father here for our monthly father-daughter lunch. We shared some calamari and pizza, both of which were delicious. The Neo-style pizza is very different from what you find elsewhere in Calgary and it's a new experience. The service was also unobtrusive and lovely. I definitely recommend this place for lunch!Special Features:
- PizzaMikeBDined on 9/16/2014Had the award winning pizza. Very good but prefered my dining partner's pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food! Excellent service!!Vict890Dined on 9/13/2014We went with a group of 10 friends and the food was amazing, nice atmosphere and the service very nice! We will definitely recommended it and go back soon!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!GGillVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have come many times here and always had great service and amazing pizza. A fanastic menu of tasty pizza and pasta. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedSharonDined on 9/11/2014My pizza was raw in the middle so not a great experience. My friend is celiac and I had informed the restaurant. It would have been nice if they had advised us that salad was her choice.
- Overrated for the priceRomanoDined on 9/5/2014Over the past two years the place seems to be getting worse. We had dinner there on September 5th 2014. 1- We placed our order (one pizza and one lasagna) by 8:15PM, food arrived at 9:10PM 2- Lasagna had very little meat in it (maybe less than 15% of volume) and pizza (Romana) had a very strong bitter taste to it 3- For the price you pay, the place is overrated for sure 4- Server tried to make up for the food delay (positive point) by offering to buy us a desert but at that point we wanted to leave
- Expecting Better.NewExperiencesDined on 9/5/2014The waiter was a little absent. It took a while to get second drinks and the bill. He also seemed like he didn't want to be there and was too good to serve us. Never outright rude though. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other speak (group of 9). The food: Room temperature water. Other drinks were great. For an appetizer I ordered the Arancini, every one tried it, no one liked it. The Calamari Fritti was a big hit. Every one loved their main course, a variety of the pizzas and pasta. A little pricy for the food. Overall I would go again just for the pizza if it were just me and another person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Second time here and just as special as the first visit. Food was fantastic and service still top notch! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for conversationfood4thoughtDined on 8/30/2014Based on our son's recommendation thought we would give this restaurant a try. When we arrive (6pm) not too busy and the noise level and service were very good. As the restaurant filled the noise increased and the service decreased. As for the food we shared a lasagna and a pizza. The lasagna was great but the pizza lacked taste. We found it very bland. As an appetizer we had the bruschetta and it was fantastic. The dessert was tiramisu and it was just ok. Quite different than a traditional tiramisu in our opinion. Overall our experience was ok but we likely won't returnSpecial Features:
- Delicious, as always!TiramisureDined on 8/29/2014The service was impeccable, the food was amazing and the environment was lovely. This time we were treated to a table of screaming children which we couldn't escape from as they couldn't seat us upstairs for some reason, but still, the food was amazing, as was the wine. I've always loved the ambiance of Pulcinella. I'll be back, without a doubt!Special Features:
- I hoped for more :(Yanta927Dined on 8/23/2014I was not impressed with this restaurant our waiter seemed scattered and the food was not at all what I expected. I picked this restaurant for our group of 10 and They probably won't let me pick again as no one enjoyed it. To bad though it's very pretty inside. Oh and when we left a staff member in there uniform made a rude comment about what a friend of mine was wearing she said it loud enough for us all to hear. Very unprofessionalSpecial Features:
- Great pizza!RoxaneDined on 8/20/2014Very much like what I had in Naples. Awesome beet salad too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.