1147 Kensington Cres NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1X7Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pulcinella.ca/
- Phone: 4032831166
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30 AM - 5:00 PM; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 11:00 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM, Sunday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Domenic Tudda
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer an extensive catering menu, which also includes items not listed on our regular dining menu, that will provide you with a fantastic Italian cuisine for your upcoming event.
Please call us directly, and we would be more than happy to put together a package for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Book Pulcinella for your private event! Pulcinella will close it's doors to the public to host private events. Book either the main floor of Pulcinella or our upper floor- or both! Available for lunch and dinner events any day of the week. Please call us directly, and we would be more than happy to provide you with more information about this great, private space and corresponding menu options.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Marra 4032831166
- Cross Street: Kensington Road NW
- Public Transit: Pulcinella is only a 10 minute walk from the Sunnyside C-train station, and there are many city buses which pass through this popular and lively area just outside of downtown Calgary.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is a large amount of street parking available, as well as a very affordable parkade at the end of the block.
A word from Pulcinella
Executive Chef Domenic Tudda spent his childhood years learning of Italian cuisine while his family owned and operated Stromboli's restaurant in Calgary. He furthered his education by undergoing extensive culinary training in Italy and has been able to continue his parent's legacy of bringing unique and incredibly authentic Italian dining to Calgarians. One of the most revered of these ventures is Ristorante Pulcinella, where Domenic first earned distinction when his international training crossed borders and entered Calgary in the spring of 2006. One of the few APN (Associazione Pizzaioli Napolitani) certified pizzerias in the world, Domenic has been able to showcase his culinary skills, incredible wine knowledge, and passion for Italian cuisine to provide Calgary with a truly artistic, original and delicious experience not soon to be forgotten. Certainly not your classical North American pizza, it's definitely different, but definitely delicious.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Pulcinella reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (47)neighborhood gem (47)good for groups (42)notable wine list (37)special occasion (25)romantic (21)hot spot (21)kid-friendly (19)great for lunch (18)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- RepoireOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Our waiter did not interact at all with our table. Did not have waiter skills. We had family from California and was so embarrassed. He never came by to ask us how our dinner was. Great restaurant but need to hire individuals who love this line if work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, as usualChickadeeDined on 10/7/2014I love pulcinella's! My dad and I came for dinner, and sent photos making the rest of our family jealous they weren't dining with us as well. We've NEVER had any remotely bad experience here, always exceeding expectation. And don't leave without trying the Saltimbocca!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Delicious!!GannDined on 10/1/2014We started with the arugula, cantaloupe, pancetta salad which was fresh, so incredibly full of sweet & salty flavor and we loved it! We choose the CAPRICCIOSA - absolutely wonderful and authentically Italian! I would have it again and again! Wonderful wine, great food, love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatSoInCalgaryDined on 9/30/2014It is a nice restaurant, quite big, a bit noisy though. The food is good, but won't say it was excellent. Had several pizzas that were good but won't say it was as great as expected. The wine list is wide, a bit expensive maybe. But they are choices.Special Features:
- Great food as alwaysPizzaloveDined on 9/30/2014Had a fantastic lunch. It's been a while since u have eaten here but I will be back very soon. Great food and awesome service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewtokensiDined on 9/26/2014The food was good. We sat at a small table with no lighting above, just a dim candle. Could barely read the menu when it got dark.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceMarcoKarenDined on 9/26/2014Great experience, will be back for more, love the pizza and overall service was outstanding. Will recommended to ally friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- horrible nightdinbearDined on 9/22/2014Extremely loud, mediocre service and good. An embarrassing choice.
- Ear splitting dinCleaneaterDined on 9/21/2014Far, far, far too loud. Couldn't wait to be done. The food was great but hard to enjoy whilst struggling to converse at the table.Special Features:
- Would go backWineandDineDined on 9/20/2014We had a reservation on Saturday night and had a great time, food and wine was really good I would highly recommend the Black Truffle pizza!! When I made the reservation I noted that it would be my bf's Birthday that evening, when we arrived they wished him Happy Birthday and threw in a couple yummy desserts for us. The only small complaint was that as the night went on past 8 o'clock I found the music upstairs a little loud for comfortable dinner conversation. We really enjoyed ourselves and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Horrible ServiceCA328Dined on 9/19/2014Went here on a Friday night as a group of 4. Waited 45 mins from ordering just for antipasto plate to show up. Then waited another 45 mins for pizzas to show up. Server was apologetic but still doesn't really make up for crazy long wait times for the food. She was nice and comped us dessert - but would much preferred not to wait 1.5 hrs to eat our pizzas. We have been here before and service was a little slow last time - but not this bad. The food (once it showed up) was very good though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/19/2014If you want a good Italian pizza, including Pizza for desert this is place to go. Good Italian wine list as well. Teenage kids love the nutella desert pizza.Special Features:
- Great serviceSheppieVIPDined on 9/19/2014There was 8 of us last night and they kept up with the team. The food was good. They dont cut the pizza and it does make it hard as the middle crust is soggy and it rips. I would suggest cutting the pizza before serving it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely LunchLunianaDined on 9/18/2014Took my father here for our monthly father-daughter lunch. We shared some calamari and pizza, both of which were delicious. The Neo-style pizza is very different from what you find elsewhere in Calgary and it's a new experience. The service was also unobtrusive and lovely. I definitely recommend this place for lunch!Special Features:
- PizzaMikeBDined on 9/16/2014Had the award winning pizza. Very good but prefered my dining partner's pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food! Excellent service!!Vict890Dined on 9/13/2014We went with a group of 10 friends and the food was amazing, nice atmosphere and the service very nice! We will definitely recommended it and go back soon!Special Features:
- Always a great meal!GGillVIPDined on 9/12/2014We have come many times here and always had great service and amazing pizza. A fanastic menu of tasty pizza and pasta. Can't wait for our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedSharonDined on 9/11/2014My pizza was raw in the middle so not a great experience. My friend is celiac and I had informed the restaurant. It would have been nice if they had advised us that salad was her choice.
- Overrated for the priceRomanoDined on 9/5/2014Over the past two years the place seems to be getting worse. We had dinner there on September 5th 2014. 1- We placed our order (one pizza and one lasagna) by 8:15PM, food arrived at 9:10PM 2- Lasagna had very little meat in it (maybe less than 15% of volume) and pizza (Romana) had a very strong bitter taste to it 3- For the price you pay, the place is overrated for sure 4- Server tried to make up for the food delay (positive point) by offering to buy us a desert but at that point we wanted to leave
- Expecting Better.NewExperiencesDined on 9/5/2014The waiter was a little absent. It took a while to get second drinks and the bill. He also seemed like he didn't want to be there and was too good to serve us. Never outright rude though. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other speak (group of 9). The food: Room temperature water. Other drinks were great. For an appetizer I ordered the Arancini, every one tried it, no one liked it. The Calamari Fritti was a big hit. Every one loved their main course, a variety of the pizzas and pasta. A little pricy for the food. Overall I would go again just for the pizza if it were just me and another person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/1/2014Second time here and just as special as the first visit. Food was fantastic and service still top notch! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a place for conversationfood4thoughtDined on 8/30/2014Based on our son's recommendation thought we would give this restaurant a try. When we arrive (6pm) not too busy and the noise level and service were very good. As the restaurant filled the noise increased and the service decreased. As for the food we shared a lasagna and a pizza. The lasagna was great but the pizza lacked taste. We found it very bland. As an appetizer we had the bruschetta and it was fantastic. The dessert was tiramisu and it was just ok. Quite different than a traditional tiramisu in our opinion. Overall our experience was ok but we likely won't returnSpecial Features:
- Delicious, as always!TiramisureDined on 8/29/2014The service was impeccable, the food was amazing and the environment was lovely. This time we were treated to a table of screaming children which we couldn't escape from as they couldn't seat us upstairs for some reason, but still, the food was amazing, as was the wine. I've always loved the ambiance of Pulcinella. I'll be back, without a doubt!Special Features:
- I hoped for more :(Yanta927Dined on 8/23/2014I was not impressed with this restaurant our waiter seemed scattered and the food was not at all what I expected. I picked this restaurant for our group of 10 and They probably won't let me pick again as no one enjoyed it. To bad though it's very pretty inside. Oh and when we left a staff member in there uniform made a rude comment about what a friend of mine was wearing she said it loud enough for us all to hear. Very unprofessionalSpecial Features:
- Great pizza!RoxaneDined on 8/20/2014Very much like what I had in Naples. Awesome beet salad too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pizza Wars?OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/18/2014Went to check out this place after watching the Food Network and Pizza Wars. Pizza was alright. Crust/dough was super good (probably why they display "the papers"). Very lacking on the amount of toppings, sauce and cheese compared to other pizza places like Double Zero or Beer Revolution or Famoso. Maybe that's the way they are supposed to make and its authentic. Personally not my type of pizza (still like thin crust though, but am Albertan and I love beef and lots of it!). Tried it, ok experience, crossed off my list of places to try. Won't go again cause there are better places and prices. Cool decor though, like the Grandpa that didn't want his picture taken.
- modern Euro look and feelhardtoimpressanymoreDined on 8/18/2014When you dine Italian, you want to leave feeling that you made Momma happy with her cooking and Pulcinella succeeds in doing so. The food was flavourful and unique and nice to look at. The portion sizes were substantial enough that I could barely finish the dessert. The service was very friendly and attentive and the atmosphere was comfortable even in a modern setting. I liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!canadianmystiqueDined on 8/16/2014This was my second visit, both the pasta's and pizza's are fantastic. Only wish I wasn't so full I could try dessert sometime. Only complaint is that it's extremely loud, you have to shout to hear someone across the table. Otherwise it's a Calgary favorite for me!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pizzaChisioDined on 8/16/2014We went to Pulcinella for pizza before going to the Jubilee for a show. It was very good pizza and nice lively atmosphere. Our noisy teenagers and laughter were not noticed or bothersome to anyone else dining, which is great. We went at 4:30 to make sure we would have lots of time before an 8pm curtain. We were finished by about 6 and had plenty of time to go get a yogurt and arrive at the theatre with great parking and no stress. I had read reviews which indicated slow service which we did not experience however the restaurant was getting very busy even by 5:30! So I believe it may get quite busy anemone should go to enjoy the good wines, appetizers and pizza. It is to be enjoyed not rushed. DeliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On Our ListjayceDined on 8/15/2014Pulcinella is on our "Restaurants We Love" list......loved the fennel salad, the Four Seasons pizza was the best....and my husband, who rates Italian restaurants on how well they prepare their lasagna, rated Pulcinella's as excellent......service was perfect.....would not recommend venue for intimate conversation as the noise level is probably the maximum we have ever experienced in a restaurant, but for a festive group (or dining with someone you don't want to converse with...like maybe your evil in-laws), it has a boisterous, joyous vibe!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TinkrTinkrDined on 8/13/2014Food was ok - nothing special. This restaurant is extremely noisy. At one point my dinner companion complained that she was yelling at me to be heard. Not an enjoyable experience.
- Dinner reviewLouzDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful meal. Good detail on presentation and flavour was excellent. We did not have wine (wish we could have) but it looked great at the next table. We would go back.Special Features:
- Just OK this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/8/2014Food was just OK, we were sat on the Balcony and it got cold and windy very fast and we asked the waiter if we could move inside and he said "it will be fine i'll just turn up the heater" 10 min later we were still freezing and asked someone else who i think was the supervisor who quickly found us a table but by that time we were ready to take our food to go and get home. We ate there but it was just ok (don't get the pasta with Beef Cheeks). I would still recommend Pulcinella as this is the first time I've been and it was just Schmeh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- yycfoodieDined on 8/6/2014First off we came here for my husbands birthday and the waiter was very energetic and friendly but seemed very overwhelemed, it looked as though someone hadn't shown up for work and he was working so hard to look after everyone in the whole restaurant. This is my 3rd time here and the food was not very good, the ravioli was very hard but did not complain as the waiter had no time to ask how my food was and was to hungy to wait. we ordered dessert and the kitchen forgot about our order, I will not be returning to this restaurant which is unfortunate.Special Features:
- Best pizza in town!VanessaDined on 8/3/2014I am Italian so I have an excellent knowledge of food. I can honestly say that Pulcinella's pizza is the best Italian pizza I had outside of Italy _ and I have been around a bit! I love it!Special Features:
- Great food, really happy we cameQueenBDined on 8/3/2014We had theatre tickets and so we came for an early birthday dinner for my husband since he loves Italian food. The calamari was amazing, pizza and pasta also really good. We were too full to finish our desserts but the tiramisu was fantastic, and good cannoli as well. Friendly and fast service - based on reviews I was expecting a two hour meal, so we ended up with time to kill before the show, but better early than late!Special Features:
- Neapolitan and CosmopolitanCalgaryFoodToursDined on 8/2/2014It's time to revisit Pulcinella. It will surprise you if you let it. Go for the Neapolitan pizza because chef Dom Tudda is still one of the few chefs in Canada to be certified by the true Neapolitan pizza organization of Naples. He earns that time and again. But, also open your palate to the rest of the menu. There are salads, pastas and mains that will delight. There's a sophistication of flavour achieved with masterful Italian simplicity. Recent hire Chef de Cuisine Luigi Ornaghi augments the menu nightly with features. We went Saturday and the house was jumping with happy patrons. A deep wine list with all of Italy's top winemakers completed the experience. My family is looking forward to a reunion with Pulcinella's friendly staff soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Very noisy, could not here people at our own table, pizza was just ok, however the dessert pizza was delicious!
- Food was great, service was okLiketotrynewthingsVIPDined on 8/1/2014We sat on the rooftop patio so the noise level was decent. The server seemed a little disengaged and unfriendly. Great wine list but not enough selection for beers or cocktails. We had the mussels and pizza which was delicious. Overall, it was an ok experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualLJoanneDined on 8/1/2014Pulcinalla has the best pizza in Calgary. The staff is professional, friendly and attentive. The wine list has a great selection. We love to eat here. We usually arrive early as it can be quite noisy. However, ulstairs is open on weekends and thw patio is open in summer. Can't wait for my next pizza. The pasta ia also excellent. The polenta lasagna is great and the portion is large enoigh for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.