Puesto La Jolla
1026 Wall St.
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Puesto La Jolla
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatpuesto.com/
- Phone: 8584541260x
- Hours of Operation:
Sun - Thurs 11am - 9pm
Fri - Sat 11am - 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luisteen Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Puesto La Jolla
Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto demonstrates the true meaning of fresh with handmade tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local organic greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house results in the greatest tacos you've ever tasted! In addition, Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto also offers a refreshing craft bar program dedicated to freshness and quality with scratch margaritas, palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. ¡SALUD!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Puesto La Jolla - Best Restaurants in La Jolla / Golden Triangle ›
Puesto La Jolla reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (48)fit for foodies (47)hot spot (38)good for groups (36)great for outdoor dining (34)great for lunch (34)kid-friendly (22)vibrant bar scene (14)great for brunch (10)late-night find (7)special occasion (7)romantic (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- AuthenticOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/20/2014The taco menu is creative and tasty. Great to be able to mix and match. Salsa is fresh and flavorful and chip are very good. Expansion and change from counter service to table service has created long waits in the evening. Reservations recommended. Very festive and noisy.Special Features:
- loved Taco Tuesday!luvLaTascaDined on 9/9/2014Went with 3 coworkers and we all thoroughly enjoyed the food. Though service was a bit slow, our waitress was friendly. Would definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Mexican food in San DiegoScottDined on 9/9/2014Amazing Mexican food! Have lived in California for 6 years and this is some of the best casual food I have had here. Tacos are superb. Drink and specialty cocktails are very good. Ingredients seem to be very high quality and I believe the food is locally sourced. Modern casual atmosphere. Usually a bit crowded and somewhat loud so not the best for a quiet romantic dinner, but the food compensates for the small space. A bit pricey if compared to other casual dining spots but in line with other sit down restaurants in the area. The food is well worth the price and the typical wait time for a table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodMaresyDined on 9/9/2014Fresh and natural. Order at the counter and food will be delivered to your table. Salmon burgers were terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a Loteria Grill but still good.HBlocalVIPDined on 9/6/2014The food is good. The service is good. The restaurant is on a casual side - shorts, flip flops, etc- seemed like an upscale Chipotle. Would go there again for lunch.Special Features:
- Tasty and easy-ModernMexicanDined on 9/5/2014Simple and easy Mexican menu. Pick 3 tacos for $12 dollars? Yes, please! The fish was fresh and the carnitas was well-seasoned. They have a neat bar scene with the sangria hanging on tap. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Puesto downtown vs. Puesto La Jollafoodie5Dined on 9/4/2014We had a weekday group lunch at Puesto La Jolla. Although the food was good and delicious, it took awhile for our food to arrive (more than 20 minutes) and the dining area was not busy at all. This would not be a good place to have lunch if you only have an hour. Also when they brought the food out, the servers got confused which dishes to serve who, and before they left, they didn't even ask if we needed anything else to be brought to the table. One of my co-workers waited about 5 minutes before she could flag someone to ask for a side of cilantro and additional salsa. I would not go back to this location because of the service. The other one located at the Old Police Headquarters in downtown SD has better, quick, attentive servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty placeNancyVIPDined on 9/3/2014The mini tacos are all different and delicious with the variety of ingredients. We liked the openness of Puesto and I am sure the great evening weather helped the ambiance. The crab guacamole is tasty but it doesn't have much crab on it. The sirloin and carnitas tacos are yummy. Our waitress was great!Special Features:
- Great tacos!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014Overall a great menu with organic fresh items. Interesting vegetarian tacos that were delicious and innovative. We ordered the 3 taco combo, great value and was surprised how the 3 small tacos really fill you up! Also had some great beers and amazing horchata!Special Features:
- Not impressed with the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The restaurant itself is really cool looking and has a fun vibe. However, our waiter had a blah personality and took a REALLY long time just to bring me the aqua fresca I ordered. When the food came, it just wasn't that good. My husband and I both ordered the three taco plate. My husband ordered one mahi mahi taco and couldn't eat more than one bite because of how fishy it was. My chicken verde taco was good, but the other two had a spicy and not very tasty red sauce on them. I was unable to finish either of them because of how spicy they were. When the waiter came after we were done, he didn't ask why there was so much food on our plates or even if we wanted a box. Bad service and been worse food!
- Had a wonderful time!luvLaTascaDined on 8/29/2014Met up with a special friend for dinner. We really enjoy our tacos and specialty drinks! Will visit again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodZaraDined on 8/24/2014I was visiting the San Diego area on vacation and knew I had to try authentic Mexican food, not the stuff they have in New York. After intensive searching, I decided to pick Puesto for its many vegetarian and fish items since half of my family doesn't eat meat. The hostess could be a little more warm and crack a smile once in a while. We were seated in the outside area rather than the dining area inside because we were a large group. The waiters were very helpful and accomodating. And the food...simply wonderful. The potato chorizo and Mahi Mahi tacos were amazing. And the spicy shrimp tostada gave my taste buds a most wonderful experience. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this choice. P.S. it's better to make reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quick lunch placekg2662Dined on 8/21/2014Good if you're looking for quick lunch. Have a reservation since they get really busy. Mainly just tacos and apps on this menu, not like the menu at the walk up and order Puesto. Awesome ambiance. Great for LJ village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must visit in La JollaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Referred by our hotel concierge. So good we went twice. Great food, margaritas, and staff. Indoor and outdoor dining. Gourmet tacos. Great ambiance. Check it out.Special Features:
- Family tripSlimDined on 8/15/2014Very popular rest. Great food. Had a long wait though.. Even with reservations we waited 30min.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tacos, lots if choicesHayleybabyDined on 8/15/2014Food is great, drinks are pricey Filet mignon and chicken tacos were great. Inventive ingredients. Large margarita selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great drinksFrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, drinks were great, and waitress was friendly...a couple of our items came out wrong and drinks take too long to arriveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!AshleyDined on 8/14/2014If you like spicy try the pistachio salsa!! Fantastic margaritas and even better tacosSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MeggleDined on 8/9/2014Our first time to Puesto, and we loved it. The tacos (a wide array) were wonderful, and the ambiance was great. We would definitely go back! Our kids went there twice before we tried it, but they were so positive, we could hardly pass this restaurant up. We're so glad we tried it out.Special Features:
- Favorite restaurant in La Jolla.babyjesusDined on 8/7/2014Sometimes I have to stop myself from going every other night. To say the least, the food is always fantastic. The servers are usually great. The chips and salsa are always fresh. This place has distracted me other restaurants I used to go to on a regular basis. If you have to wait (and it's totally worth it if you do) you can always walk around downtown, or grab a drink at Karl Strauss right around the corner. Surely makes for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing tacosden711Dined on 8/6/2014Great Margaritas, great guacamole, and amazing creative tacos.Special Features:
- PatiencePlanetsDined on 8/5/2014We have a five yr old and they were patient to have a hyper hold around and answering his questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good, slow service.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/29/2014Food is good but could use some refining. I enjoy cheese but I think they use enough to cover up the other great flavors they are going for. They need to work on the speed of service. over 20 minutes from the time we ordered to get tacos is not adequate and was very frustrating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Food in La JollatwitteDined on 7/26/2014The food and service were excellent. I had the filet mignon and chicken tacos (total of 3) and it filled me up. The chips and salsa were good and we ordered some avocado with it. They only give you a tiny amount of salsa with the chips (until you ask for more). We got there at 5 pm with an on-line reservation. The crowd started forming outside at 5:30 pm. Inside they have large folding windows that really open up the place and let the fresh air in. The food was reasonably prices but the small margarita for $10 each was priced a little high. Drinks were very good. We enjoyed eating at Puesto and would come back again for more of their food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmoDineladyDined on 7/24/2014This place was better than we expected. Super unique flavors, amazing service and cool atmosphere and vibe. The drinks were delicious too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same as the old PuestotrdliteVIPDined on 7/23/2014We have been good customers at the Puesto in La Jolla ever since they opened there. This new extension is not the same model. It is more like a regular restaurant with table service. The menu is a bit different too. The food was tasty but the prices are much higher than what we used to pay. Not sure if this quality food and restaurant experience is worth those prices. Not sure if I will go there again. The only reason I may go is because is the other side is now impossible to get in to.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible In Every WayOSUThetaDined on 7/20/2014Oh my goodness, Puesto La Jolla is a must for amazing Mexican food. The ambience is contemporary and open, the option of quick dining or sit-down dining is nice, and the food is to die for. Augustine was our waiter and he was fabulous. He was knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. I had the Rajas tacos...amazing! I also had the Spicy Shrimp taco which was good, but nothing special, and the Chicken al Pastor taco that was spicy and wonderful. The chips and salsa were spicy without being too hot for most tastes. But the best appetizer was the Crap Guacomole..you have to get that! Other than in my own kitchen, I don't think I have ever had such fresh tasting guac anywhere. The prices are in line with the amount of food. So good!Special Features:
- Awesome PlaceicepupDined on 7/20/2014Love the food & the frozen horchata! Would definately come again, but book a reservation otherwise the wait can be long.Special Features:
- WaiterSandanneyDined on 7/19/2014The guy we got was on top,he knew his stuff & was always ready for us.We came back the next day and that server was a bit different.We loved out 1st serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinks!Av13Dined on 7/18/2014Excellent and creative takes on the taco stand and wonderful cocktails to match. Fabulous service. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2014As Mexican food goes, I believe this is the most authentic food from the heart of Mexico. The tacos are sumptuous, they don't use that cheesee tomato sauce that all the "typical" TexMex restaurants use. Each taco taste different, they actually taste to the flavor they are.Special Features:
- Great food lots of serviceSammmomDined on 7/14/2014The three taco sampler is fabulous. Not expensive and allows a smaller appetite lots of flavors. Fun and very casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food at affordable pricesgriosgarciaDined on 7/4/2014Excellent option nice and modern restaurant with great food and excellent service . Conveniently located in la Jolla with parking options in a very nice property. Tacos awesome I ate like 10. I tried almost all of them My favorite Lobster Taco. Dont forget to try the special Micheladas....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACETeresaVIPDined on 6/24/2014love the bowls there!!!! The jasmine rice is AMAZING!Special Features:
- Comida buenaWisegirlDined on 6/24/2014With the additional room, Puesto can seat far more enthusiastic diners....and their enhanced menu is a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed our meal! great!!visitingcaliDined on 6/17/2014Excellent food, service, and dining experience!I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for mexican food with a flare. Wish we had it in my town. Good idea to make a reservation especially on taco tuesday. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I were placed in the corner. Therefore, they didn't ask us for refills or provide us with chips and salsa. When they gave us our guacamole, they didn't bring chips. It took 45 minutes for our street tacos to be served while other tables (that got there after us) were being served. It was my father's day treat to my husband as he's a big fan of street tacos though unfortunately we did not receive the service others did. I told him, we'll have to come visit these restaurants well after they've opened and figured everything out.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Puesto La Jolla reviews archive.