Puesto at the Headquarters
789 W. Harbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Puesto at the Headquarters
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatpuesto.com/
- Phone: (619) 233-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am -4:45pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm -9:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luisteen Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Puesto offers it's spectacular taco bar experience on-the-go! Whether you are looking for a uniquely catered event with our made-to-order taco stand or something more exclusive with our highly-sought-after pink taco truck, we can handle any event - large or small! Please visit our website for further details: eatpuesto.com
- Cross Street: Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: MTS Trolley: Green Line, Seaport Village stop (directly across from Headquarters) 0.1 miles away Amtrak / Santa Fe Depot: 1050 Kettner Blvd, 0.4 miles away
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Lot Parking available in Seaport Village. Valet parking available courtesy of The Headquarters at Seaport District.
A word from Puesto at the Headquarters
Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto demonstrates the true meaning of fresh with handmade tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local organic greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house results in the greatest tacos you've ever tasted! In addition, Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto also offers a refreshing craft bar program dedicated to freshness and quality with scratch margaritas, palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. ¡SALUD!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Puesto at the Headquarters reviews from OpenTable diners
243 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (169)fit for foodies (127)good for groups (120)hot spot (108)great for lunch (92)vibrant bar scene (66)neighborhood gem (65)special occasion (48)kid-friendly (36)late-night find (33)scenic view (21)great for brunch (19)romantic (14)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Really great food. Customer service lacking.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2014The food is amazing. Very flavorful tacos and all other dishes are spectacular. The frozen horchata drink and dessert flan were very delicious. Overpriced, and the service needs a lot of work. My water cup had dried chicken in it, it takes forever for the food to come out, when we got our order it was not correct. Based on the price, long wait to get seated, and bad customer service i probably won't go back. The food is what saves this place but then again, Downtown San Diego had tons of great restaurants with great food.Special Features:
- Authentic MexicanDaveVIPDined on 11/24/2014Puesto exceeded our expectations with its wonderful and authentic Mexican dishes, warm services and casual setting at the Headquarters, a completely revamped historical structure. Until next time - Our compliments to the owner and staff!Special Features:
- A Bit PriceyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/19/2014I think they should come down on their prices. Both food and drink prices were extremely expensive for what you got.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AbwoVIPDined on 11/18/2014I was suprised this place wasn't packed for lunch! Filet mignon taco was amazing. Quick service. Great atmosphere, easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ALL ABOUT VOLUME / NOT ABOUT QUALITYSveetDweamsDined on 11/15/2014Disguised with urban décor, Puesto is where folks stop in for a Mexican-style family meal on their way to Chuck E. Cheese. Oh, and if you like fatty meat, then order Tres Tacos with chicken or pork -- it will be completely FATisfying. Not a dining experience we will ever repeat.Special Features:
- MopsieDined on 11/14/2014My food was way too spicy for me & I shared my dish with my friend & she felt the same way!Special Features:
- waited 30min. to be seated with reservationTortizDined on 11/11/2014The mango lime agua fresca was delicious. You can not go wrong with any of the tacos that are wrapped in cheese. The restaurant has a nice setup, heat lamps outside, and open kitchen. Only downfall is that my party waited 30 minutes to be seated even though we had a reservation at 6pm. Be prepared to wait whether you have a reservation or not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Raw, spirited, noisy!PabloDined on 11/10/2014Chic urban vibe but service is quite shaky (slow and received 2 incorrect orders), extreme noise due to lack of any fabric or other sound-absorbing material makes it very challenging to hear one another directly across small tables. You have to really want to go there to enjoy this spot. I hope they improve.Special Features:
- Great find!aquagirlDined on 11/9/2014We had lunch at Puesto in the Headquarters to celebrate the birthdays of 2 friends. We had an excellent server, Agostino, the food was delicious and not the typical Mexican fare you get at most Mexican restaurants, and we enjoyed the festive ambiance. It's a fun place for a group and I'd definitely return there for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We took a group of eight to Puesto with a reservation booked through Open Table. The table was not ready for our booking time so we had to wait for a bit. That said, the food and drinks more than made up for it. We had a number of different dietary requirements and allergies in our group, but the menu selections accommodated us all. I would highly recommend the zucchini and cactus tacos to any vegetarians. They were tasty!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love The FoodicepupDined on 11/8/2014Great food. I love their frozen horchatia.... I love the fish tacos and the chicken verde taco is amazing! I am bummed that they took the fish & shrimp taco off the three taco option, and would gladly pay extra to have it back on. The zuchinni flower taco is awesome don't be afraid of the cactus the flavors are awesome!Special Features:
- Nice experience...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I had recently had lunch at the La Jolla location and everything about the experience was excellent. I raved about it to friends at my workplace in downtown San Diego so a couple co-workers suggested we try out the Headquarters location. Just for fun, I took a look at the Yelp reviews and saw numerous negative comments about the service. On our visit, the service was also lacking. I think our waitress was in training as she had a gentlemen following her around. It took over 10 minutes to take our drink order and then it took another 10 for it to reach our table. The drinks were excellent, the food was good but not as flavorful as the La Jolla location. Both locations have great ambience for a fun time.Special Features:
- tacos tacos tacosTizLozVIPDined on 11/6/2014we got 3 different kind of tacos, the were pretty tasty even if tthe douh was not the best I had in San Diego.It's easy and family friendly so we could come back.Special Features:
- Fresh eatssep004VIPDined on 11/6/2014We really enjoyed Puesto. The food is fresh, light, and satisfying. There are several choices for tacos (lobster, tuna, etc.). There are some great veggie options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/5/2014This was my first time Herr and I brought the whole family. Everyone loved their food. The salsa was excellent and fresh and the shrimp tamarindo tacos to die for! The only thing lacking was the service....but I think that's because it was busy and our server was training a new server. But that's the only reason for the 4 stars instead of 5. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSanDiegoEaterDined on 11/5/2014Unfortunately another restaurant at the HQ is below par. Strictly from a food perspective, a place that charges $13 for a plate of 3 street tacos better make outstanding tacos. However, this is not the case. The tortillas were tough, the filling mediocre, and the presentation fair. I will say that the pupo tostada was decent, especially the octopus. Yes the tostada was unnecessarily smothered in a chipotle cream sauce, which on its own was decent but killed the tostada. I can't complain about Negra Modelo on tap and the price was decent but a $16 shot of CasaAmigos tequilla which may have been 1 ounce, maybe, I felt was stingy. Chips and guac were decent but the complimentary salsa was flavorless. I could never recommend this place.Special Features:
- Taco Tuesday GemValdovinosLuisDined on 11/4/2014This is by far the best Taco Tuesday destination in all of Downtown. Trust me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- especially good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Our waiter noticed that someone had cranked up the music just after we sat down, and he asked if it was too loud, and then got it turned down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos are so badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014I didn´t like tacos at all. I asked for 3 different tacos and they tasted the same and cold tacos. you should check your kitchen.Special Features:
- ChanguisDined on 10/30/2014Food and service are excellent. The lobster tacos and the guacamole are great!!!!Special Features:
- Must try!Kaniki411Dined on 10/30/2014Great vibe and delicious food! I loved the crab guacamole- so simple yet fantastic. Awesome Filet mignon tacos and juicy carnitas tacos. Potato tacos are just okay~ but overall Puesto is a winner! Make sure you validate your parking ticket!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDowntownEaterDined on 10/29/2014My date and I had a terrific time. Adam was the perfect server. Thank you for being there.
- Great food and funStevenVIPDined on 10/26/2014enjoyed the shrimp tacos, great beer, goo ambiance. What is not to like?
- Expected MorekiefmoDined on 10/26/2014The salsa and guacamole were terrific. The 3 tacos, pork and bothtypes of the chicken were just ok. The tortillas were fresh, there was plenty of meat, but the taste, for me, was nothing that great. Cool atmosphere though and happy hour would probably be good. Service was fine, but couldn't get waiter's attention to ask for more salsa and when we did make the request he never brought it.Special Features:
- NOISYHonestReviewsDined on 10/22/2014Even though we had a table in the rear of the restaurant, we were unable to converse from one end of the table to the other. The decibel level at the restaurant was off the chart. It didn't make the place seem "happy", rather it made it seem chaotic and schizophrenic. The meal was average at best.
- Why?PoshanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Puesto must be the only Mexican restaurant in San Diego which refuses to offer flour tortillas. Amazing and why? Many Americans prefer flour tortillas. Further, Puesto should learn to cook their filet or at least ask the patron their preference.Special Features:
- Fun new spotLizThompsDined on 10/20/2014I have been to the Puesto in La Jolla several times before, so I was very excited to try their full scale restaurant in Seaport Village. What a fun new spot! Puesto at the Headquarters has a great energy. Although the food is more expensive than their La Jolla location, it is well worth it if you are looking for outstanding service and a unique ambiance. I will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Hard parking, but great food and atmosphere. Waiter was great and since I listed that we were celebrating two birthdays on the reservation, they graciously brought the birthday girls a treat.Special Features:
- Puesto is the bestoMikeDined on 10/19/2014Puesto is fantastic - probably the best guacamole I've ever had and the tacos are phenomenal. A bit on the smaller side with a trio for $12, but the quality is very good. Taco Tuesday is fantastic with tacos at $2 each (bit more for the lobster and filet tacos). Awesome local taco specialty spot with great, very friendly service. Pretty good value as well relative to other restaurants in the area. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Underwhelmed...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/19/2014I think I went in with my expectations set too high based on the recommendation of my friend, who raved about the place. Overall, this is a good place, but the food really isn't anything too special...solid, but not special. I was a bit annoyed that the big-eye tuna taco had a fairly sizable jalepeno pepper (unseeded) in the middle of it. Light pepper with raw tuna is ok, but this basically killed any ability to taste the tuna. Bad move on their part and I was sorry I didn't notice it before taking the bite. I would say this place would be a good choice for a nice outdoor lunch.Special Features:
- TrendyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014There are many great things about this place but service is not one of them. Also,while the drinks are tasty,they have little alcohol content.servers advise you to upgrade to top shelf tequila. for a margarita,,really? Why is that necessary? Cocktails are on the smallish side ,too but not the price.It is not the place to go to have drinks BUT the tacos deliver and the salads are great! We ordered two types of guacamole which came out instantly but alas, no chips! We all thought that was hilarious that we would get guacamole but nothing to eat it with...I should mention the guacamole was really good!Our absolute favorite was the frozen horchata.We had 6 of those!Yep service lacks ,food good, somewhat pricey.Special Features:
- Great food, great service, to loud!BarryPDined on 10/18/20146 of us for Saturday night dinner. Table was ready on time. Server, Maria, was outstanding. Great Margaritas and good beer list. Our table was in the old Police Station file room which may have contributed to the over the top noise levels. The music was so loud we could not carry on a conversation with the opposite side of the table. We asked to have it turned down. That is the only down side to this really nice evening. The street tacos were amazing and the side dishes were really excellent and big enough to share. The price for the 6 of us was more than reasonable. So, if a loud boisterous background is not a deterrent for great service and amazing tacos, this is your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty tacosYushDined on 10/17/2014Tasty even if not authentically Mexican. Beef fillet and fish tacos both winners. Potato soy also surprisingly tasty. Generous serving of chips and salsa provided free. Bit noisy for our liking, but not any noisier than restaurants with bars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tacos Fit For Foodies?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014All of the food and ingredients are fresh and local. And, even though the menu is mainly tacos, which are amazing... if you want something lighter and especially to skip the carbs of the tortillas, order the ceviche. It's AMAZING, very tangy and delicious!Special Features:
- A lot of hype but little substanceSusanVIPDined on 10/15/2014Took a friend for a birthday lunch which I mentioned in the booking. I asked for a good table. Even though they were 1/2 full we were seated at the back outside patio not the front, and next to the waitstaff serving table with little room to maneuver. Food was just OK, and $55 for 2 margaritas and 2 orders of tacos is ridiculous for lunch. Instead of offering my friend a birthday dessert or anything after the tacos they just brought the bill, waiter did not ask if we want dessert, coffee, or anything. Definitely not a place for anything special. If you want 3 small tacos and nothing else for $12+ and no frills this is your place. And if you want ahi or lobster tacos they add a surcharge. The basic margarita was good - $11 for that.
- Amazing taco selectionSpurOfMomentDined on 10/13/2014Loved the carnitas, pollo verde, and fish tacos at Puesto. Try the guacamole and the artisan salsas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promises betterPickyeaterDined on 10/12/2014Menu looked great but I ultimately think I chose poorly. Nice quiet plaza to sit outside on hidden from traffic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- please expand your locationsjedmDined on 10/12/2014Such a different southwestern menu. Even had to take home a menu so that we could try to duplicate, but know that it will not taste as good. Please come to Charleston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy tacos!YummyDined on 10/11/2014I visited Puesto with a large group of friends. I made reservations and they were great about confirming and getting us seated right away when we arrived even though they were really busy and there was a lot of people. Service was amazing. We had a person in our group with a special diet, they were very accommodating. The only thing that was a difficult was trying to listen to my friends. The noise level was very high. I can only hear the person sitting right next to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelletMpo5135Dined on 10/10/2014Are service was excellet. We were a group a ladies celebrating my friends bachlorette on Friday October 10th. Are waitress was so sweet. She brought her a shot and a dessert at the end of the night. We will all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.