Puesto at the Headquarters
789 W. Harbor Dr.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Puesto at the Headquarters
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatpuesto.com/
- Phone: 6192338880
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am -4:45pm
Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm -9:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Traditional Mexican, Mexican, Contemporary Mexican
- Executive Chef: Luisteen Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Puesto offers it's spectacular taco bar experience on-the-go! Whether you are looking for a uniquely catered event with our made-to-order taco stand or something more exclusive with our highly-sought-after pink taco truck, we can handle any event - large or small! Please visit our website for further details: eatpuesto.com
- Cross Street: Pacific Highway
- Public Transit: MTS Trolley: Green Line, Seaport Village stop (directly across from Headquarters) 0.1 miles away Amtrak / Santa Fe Depot: 1050 Kettner Blvd, 0.4 miles away
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Lot Parking available in Seaport Village. Valet parking available courtesy of The Headquarters at Seaport District.
A word from Puesto at the Headquarters
Puesto is a popular San Diego restaurant that successfully mixes a casual attitude with an original twist on Mexican street food and drinks. Puesto demonstrates the true meaning of fresh with handmade tortillas, scratch salsas, all-natural meats, sustainable seafood and local organic greens. This incredible combination of the freshest, highest quality ingredients all prepared in house results in the greatest tacos you've ever tasted! In addition, Chef Luisteen serves beautiful market salads, antojitos (Mexican tapas), ceviches, moles, tostadas and other authentic Mexican favorites. Puesto also offers a refreshing craft bar program dedicated to freshness and quality with scratch margaritas, palomas, micheladas and seasonal aguas frescas. ¡SALUD!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Puesto at the Headquarters - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Puesto at the Headquarters reviews from OpenTable diners
247 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (165)fit for foodies (115)good for groups (110)great for lunch (106)hot spot (103)vibrant bar scene (85)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (47)kid-friendly (43)great for brunch (32)late-night find (29)scenic view (23)romantic (18)notable wine list (5)Show More
- Great food and set upOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014We've enjoyed lunch at Puesto. Food was excellent. It was very busy at noon, but quiet at 2. Choice is a bit limited but none of us was disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food, Amazing ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/19/2014WOW! What a great find! The food was fabulous! The service could not have been any better. Busy lunch hour, lots of people and the food, the service did not miss a beat. I will be back! Thank you.Special Features:
- Puesto is FunnadobunnyDined on 8/19/2014We love to go to Puesto on a sunny weekday for lunch. The house margaritas are wonderful_-the best in town, in my view. The service is good. The food is interesting and fairly good, priced OK. What more could you want? Noisy and lively inside, quieter outsideSpecial Features:
- Puesto GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014Loved the variety of tacos. Each one was uniquely different and delicious and the staff were wonderful We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2014This was our second pass through Puesto at the Headquarters. We both went with the three taco plates.....my wife being vegetarian tried one each of the three veggie options and was impressed with all three. I went with mahi, lobster, carnitas.....each superb. The scene is pretty busy but service was timely and very good. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very well rounded experienceDelmargirlVIPDined on 8/16/2014i have been here over 5 times, and really enjoy it. i usually choose it because of the ambience, energy, outdoor seating. indoor has ample nice seating, with an open floor plan too. the food really rocks. very fresh, all beautifully presented. the tacos really are the bomb, and you can't go wrong you have to try the lobster taco. the latest dish i'm in love with is the mole, which is served with 3 different styles with corn tortillas. the service is ok, he forgot to bring some requests, but usually i have no problem. overall, a fun place, that i love to take my family/friends out to.Special Features:
- simply amazingaryamDined on 8/15/2014The best vegetarian tacos, just try them. I don't have much more to say than your missing out if you haven't gone.Special Features:
- Love it!ReekoDined on 8/15/2014Food and drinks are delicious! Service is always good👍 had reservations but had to walk up to reservation desk because they never text me at my reservation. Time. Once I walked up and asked when I would be seated, they said oh we can go ahead and seat you.Special Features:
- Worth checking out!ForkitoverDined on 8/11/2014There are LOTS of dining choices in San Diego, many of them Mexican-themed. Puesto stands out not only for their cool decor and architecture, but for their food and.....hold on.....service! This is (unfortunately) the rare SoCal rest. w/ a properly trained wait & bus staff, that not only do their jobs properly and efficiently, but they have great knowledge of their menu, food, and drinks. Worth coming back to. To critique: the salsas are their Achilles heal, flavorful enough, but way to mild. They were "out" of the more robust salsa, the chef was "making" it. How does a Mex rest. run out of salsa, esp. on a Mon.? The drinks are a little small, but well crafted. A bit noisy, but not over the top. The entrance is confusing. Check them out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperiencefrankiepigDined on 8/9/2014We drove down for my best friend's bachelorette weekend and booked this restaurant for dinner after reading good reviews and it being walking distance from our hotel. The tacos were great as well as the guacamole and a couple other appetizers. They accommodated our party of 10 with a large community table and sat us very quickly on a Saturday night at 8:30. The ambiance was perfect for what we were looking for and the architecture was awesome. Everyone had a good time and loved the food. Service was great, wish I could remember our server's name! He was patient and knowledgable and didn't even roll his eyes when we split payment on the check five hundred ways :/ I would definitely recommend this place to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Energetic DiningHighPocketsDined on 8/9/2014Great taco selections and our waitperson, Rachel, was excellent. Service on a busy Saturday night was a tad slow, but understandable. A fun, energetic place for a distinctive meal.Special Features:
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014This place is ultra modern, with a fun taco menu. Our waiter was helpful & patient with our 2yr old daughter (he lent us his pen since we forgot crayons & the restaurant doesn't have any). The outdoor area is a nice option. A lot if the restaurant was quite open so most of the tables were near outside. The music was a tad loud but it's a trendy spot so it's expected. They're signature margarita was only ok, but the the "red" something cocktail on their list (forgot name) was super good. Will definitively return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table or floor to table??alwayshungryVIPDined on 8/7/2014A server dropped a napkin setting on the floor, (silverware wrapped in a cloth napkin) picked it up, and placed the setting on a plate, on the table.
- A bit disappointedBummedDined on 8/6/2014I was excited to go here based upon reviews and recommendations. I was disappointed in the service - we could not even finish a bite without someone trying to remove plates but when we needed the check no one was to be found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and Special RestaurantTLBROWNDined on 8/6/2014Ambiance of the converted Police HQ is quite nice and visually interesting. Noise in the 2-level eating areas is moderate and not overwhelming. Any seat is nice, with some a bit more special than others. Outside or inside will give you an enjoyable view of activities within the area. Service is excellent and attentive. And the food.... simply delicious. The 3 taco mix and match is a great way to provide variety to a meal without having to return multiple times to try different tastes (although that is not a bad scenario either!). There is not a bad choice on the entire menu. Everything is fresh, robustly seasoned, and appetizingly presented. Any time you are able, eat here. You will have a great meal and a great time.Special Features:
- Loved this place!MyreviewDined on 8/4/2014The tacos are amazing. Try the filet mignon. Can't wait to go back. Wishing they would open a place near San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco anyone?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014My coworkers and I went there for lunch to celebrate one of my coworkers' birthday. I tried their 3 for $12 tacos for lunch: Chicken Al Pastor, Chicken Verde and Baja Fish. Baja Fish was my least favorite, then Al Pastor and my favorite was the Chicken Verde. Baja Fish was bland and it needed more flavor. Chicken Al Pastor had a really good flavor with a kick to it. Chicken Verde was just perfect. Creamy and delicious. Majority in my lunch group agreed. They also gave the birthday guy a dessert and it was perfect! I should've asked what the dessert was called but it had a vanilla icecream sandwiched in a deepfried tortilla with cinammon and sugar and drizzled with chocolate chips and chocolate syrup. It was delicious!!!Special Features:
- Hot spotAngieDined on 8/3/2014Fun, entertaining scene. Bar and deco of the place sets the mood for unwinding and having fun. Their tacos were amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Cheap....walkerDined on 7/29/2014FOOD GOOD HOWEVER DRINKS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!! Margaritas not worth the price!!!Special Features:
- Hidden gemsuazz248Dined on 7/29/2014What a great place. Staff was great. Food ..amazing.. can get a little expensive if you are a big eater..otherwise.. great tasting food..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor seatingspecialfoodDined on 7/28/2014I love the outdoor seating at this Puesto. The food is fresh and delicious. It takes some work to find kid friendly options though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/27/2014Dog friendly and great brunch spot. Love walking my dog to Puesto and sitting outside with a margarita. Good food, drinks and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed a fun and quick dinner at Puesto before a concert. Great spot to grab a quick bite. Tasty, elevated "street" food with fun fresh flavors. Highly recommend the horchata!Special Features:
- Great Street-Style TacosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Gourmet tacos in an energtic, vibrant scene. Outstanding choice of tacos...one of the best Baja Fish Taco's I've ever had...Chile Verde Taco was superb...but the star of the evening was the Filet Mignon Taco...simply fabulous! Great margaitas, and our server was ever attentive and very friendly.Special Features:
- Delicious food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/25/2014Reasonably priced and delicious food -- great ambiance too!Special Features:
- YumwowDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, loud, fun & vibrant atmosphere. A different twist on typical Mexican food. Mango pineapple margarita was excellent as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair food. Pretty good drink menu.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/21/2014Drink and food is over priced. The atmosphere is really good, though.
- Prepare to be WOW'dEZdinerDined on 7/19/2014It is amazing how Puesto has taken the simple, lowly taco and turned it into a gourmet experience. The unique combinations of menu items make ordering fun and interesting. The freshness of the ingredients is noticed in every bite. I can't think of many places that have had the level of service provided to us on our visit. Truly exceptional all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet street tacosPurpleloveDined on 7/19/2014I saw online that this restaurant had a limited menu, so I wasn't expecting much when we went there. My friend lives in the neighborhood and this was her choice for dinner. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised! The street tacos were excellent and very filling! I had to ask for additional salsa, but that was no problem. It did get a bit loud but because we were seated outside, we were able to deal with it. Seems to be a hip spot for the younger crowd. There is nice outdoor furniture like couches with pretty fire displays in some areas to dine at there. I would definitely recommend this place to at least try it and make your own decision. I really liked it!Special Features:
- Taco goodnessTomStoveDined on 7/19/2014The tacos tasted amazing. The Baja Fish taco was light and fresh with a nice tang, the cactus taco was a star and the filet mingon taco was maybe the best taco I have ever had. The service was just enough, always there when we needed it and gone otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Street Tacoslal1Dined on 7/18/2014Good: The tacos were very good. I ordered a trio: 1 lobster, 1 shrimp, and 1 rajas. The rajas was the best followed by the shrimp. I won't order the lobster again...was there any lobster on the taco???? The chips and salsa were very good but don't waste your money on the guacamole. It was nothing special for $8. Nice place. Request to sit upstairs. Bad: Parking is the pits and the restaurant charges $15 for valet. This is outrageous. The drinks: $10 for a watery sangria. Won't do that again...grab a beer. The service was really lacking. I think we saw our waitress once and never again until she brought the check. Not much attention given. Noise level was very high. We could not hear the friends we were with.Special Features:
- Sunday Lunch at PuestoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014Visited this restaurant for the first time after reading so many great reviews. Overall, it was a mediocre experience. Might go back for a drink/appetizers on the patio. Best food item was the fresh guacamole. Tacos were decent. Service was just inadequate. Soooo tired of going to restaurants that are busy just because of their location and/or attraction to tourists, so the wait staff think they can get away with crappy service and still make good money in tips. Management needs to pay more attention to their servers, interact with customers, etc.Special Features:
- Great food, ambiance and service!!MelanieDined on 7/12/2014We sat upstairs and enjoyed this 'indoor-outdoor' area with a nice view of The Headquarters' courtyard and the vibe of this colorful restaurant. The Mix and Match tacos are what all four members of our party ordered and they were delicious! Had we been hungrier, we would have ordered an appetizer or two -- the selection was interesting and tempting! The three tacos (for only $11 I might add!) were the perfect amount of food...along with the TWO baskets of chips we devoured as we sipped on our tasty Puesto Perfect margaritas. "Favorites" among the four of us were the Chicken El Pastor taco and the Rajas Veg taco. We'll be back! This is a great place to take out-of-town guests (like we did) and not spend a fortune.Special Features:
- Fun girls night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014First visit to Puesto based on a recommendation from a friend. We shared all food and loved it all - ceviche was fresh, crab guac was different and amazing, ahi stack was not only fabulous but a work of art, tacos were great. The flirt tacos were by far the best, and might be the best taco we've ever had. My reasons for not giving 5 stars is that for how fresh all the food was nobody in my party liked the chips, they were not good. We had a reservation for dinner and I feel were seated in the worst table in the restaurant. Very sad that we didn't get a better seat having made a reservation. I wish I had said something earlier, but didn't realize just how horrible our table was until we were served (fabulous) margaritas and just stayed.Special Features:
- Cash?DowntownEaterDined on 7/11/2014My dining experience was fine. I paid the bill with cash. I put an extra 20 in the folio and asked for change. I received back two 5s and a 10. My bill was $38. I ask you, given the change I received what kind of tip should I have given? Geeez, it might be nice if the help had a brain. This is the 2nd review I have submitted because the wait staff is sub par.Special Features:
- Happy Hour!lindsayDined on 7/11/2014The happy hour margaritas were so good and the food and service were great! Definitely coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic experience!MuyBuenoDined on 7/8/2014Great food, very authentic, like a Mexico City experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish we had one close to home!MirvineDined on 7/6/2014Puesto was great!! Loved the menu and interesting options for their main focus, tacos. The set-up of the restaurant was great with an open view into the kitchen from all parts of the restaurant. When we visited the place was very busy (1 hour wait to those without reservations) and as a result, service was a little slow, however it was not because the kitchen staff and servers weren't working their tails off. As a former restaurant manager, it was easy to tell that the place was well run on top of having great food and great beer/wine/margarita options. Puesto, please open a location in the SF Bay Area so we can come visit you more often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Independence Day CelebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2014We had an 8:30 reservation, on a day like July 4th we were pleasantly surprised that it was ready for us on time! Food was yummy. Service was great! What completely made our night was the perfectly situated table. We had THE perfect view of the fireworks on Friday. My kids loved it! Thank you Puesto!Special Features:
- Worth having a reservation on 7/4FoodalwaysinthoughtsDined on 7/4/2014We booked the place just in time before the 7/4 fireworks for 7:00pm a week ahead of time. We were seated right away when most others had to wait for an hour and a half to two hours. Great drinks and tacos, nice energetic ambience. Got out just in time to go to the pier next door to watch fantastic fireworks. We were glad we made a reservation - there were long lines at all the place around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.