5337 College Ave
Oakland, CA 94618Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.pucquio.com/
- Phone: 5106587378x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday & Monday CLOSED
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian
- Executive Chef: Carlos Moreira
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine
A word from Pucquio
Pucquio serves elegant, high-end Peruvian cuisine out of a small Oakland kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Pucquio - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Pucquio reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (24)special occasion (4)romantic (3)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Enjoy Peruvian Food in RockridgeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014It was my brothers birthday. He had been to Peru and was craving Peruvian food. The food at Pucquio was a little different than he expected and lacking a full bar, he couldn't get a Pisco Sour. But after getting over that, we had a marvelous time, with great food, well prepared and presented, and served at a leisurely pace just right for this special occassion. The wine list is small but we had a very nice Spanish wine, recommended by our waiter. The service was friendly and energetic and the staff helped us with the menu choices, starting with 3 cebiches, followed by a first course of shrimp, salad, and lomo saltado, followed by the fish of the day, all shared family style. Don't miss the sweet potato and cinnamon beignets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like being in Peru!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/11/2014What a great find! Loved the warm reception. Sitting at the bar made us feel like a special family member being dined & entertained with incredibly delicious food & lots to watch. Vibrant! Charming expressive chefs & wait staff. Especially enjoyed the whole fish presentation... stunning, fresh, just the right texture & so tasty. Already referred a friend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really tasty foodWutithinkDined on 10/1/2014Liked all the dishes. Loved a couple of them (quinoa salad, causas) 3 of os shared trio of ceviche, 3 small plates and dessert. The ceviche portions were a little small for the price (3 for $30), bit other than that the small plates were tasty and well prepared. The dessert brioche thing with ice cream was tasty but a little ho hum, the brioche was hard and stale, probably meant to be softened by melting ice cream, but that alchemy didn't quite work. Good service.Special Features:
- Delicious!LizzieDined on 9/27/2014We had a wonderful dinner, which included ceviche, steamed octopus, pork shoulder and shrimp stew. The only drawback was that it was a little noisy. Otherwise it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Warm and deliciousStevenVIPDined on 9/25/2014The ceviche was outstanding. The shrimp starter was tasty. The service was personable and authentic. Try to sit at the bar if you (and your plus one) are up for viewing the preparation and chatting with the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the long waitsusanDined on 9/13/2014We had an 8:30 pm reservation on a saturday night. Got our trio cerbiches app @9:30. Entrees of salmon/squid ink risotto and prawns/rice @10:00pm. The wait times were difficult. We thought about leaving as another couple did; but the cerbiche convinced us we should stay. Each dish was amazingly good. The freshness and flavors were evident. The chef actually asked us if we could taste the "love" in the food; we did. Next time ,we would only reserve a time when they open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at PucquioEllenVIPDined on 9/10/2014The fish was out of this world as usual! I go back over and over. They also have a fantastic chicken stew.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and fabulous foodRicardoVIPDined on 9/5/2014Pucquio is a special addition to the Rockridge dining scene. Inventive Peruvian food, with particularly wonderful cebiche. The presentations are beautiful, the food fresh and delicious and the owners and their small staff delightful.Special Features:
- The Best in Oakland!HollyVIPDined on 9/5/2014Pucquio is an amazing addition to the Rockridge neighborhood, and Oakland. This is one of the best restaurants in town by far. For the best experience sit at the chef's bar, and watch them cook. The attention to detail is impeccable, and the food even better. It's a small establishment so make a reservation, and be patient with the service as they currently have just one server. It is well worth the wait for a drink, so just sit back and enjoy the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Potential not realized yetJeffreyVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very well prepared and tasty food. Waiter was friendly and well informed regarding the menu but was overwhelmed as the restaurant is understaffed. Kitchen appeared to be disorganized with wrong entrees delivered with excessively long waits. It took 45 minutes to receive the appetizers and a glass of wine and 1 hour and 45 minutes to receive the entrees. Entrees were brought to tables sequentially with significant waits in between delivery or kept in kitchen until all parties ready which resulted in one entree not being appropriately heated. Bill contained items not ordered. This has the potential for being a fine neighborhood gem but needs significant management overhaul.
- especially if you like fishavocadoDined on 8/21/2014The small space was jumping when we arrived at 7:30. We came with a friend who's a big booster--even though she's eating vegan and the only thing she could have was a quinoa dish, which she pronounced excellent. Husband and I had the choose-three-cebiches deal, really liked them all. The bluefin tuna special was out of this world! Rare, with charcoal-y crust, just yummy. One waiter for the whole room was genial and helpful but overtaxed. We had wine by the glass. He recommended a good one, but I was disappointed by the size of the glass and felt pleased when he came around with the bottle to pour me some more. Well, of course that was another $11. Music was too loud, and seemed to go up again after we asked for mercy.Special Features:
- Fresh, exciting fooddinaeDined on 8/7/2014The food is marvelous and the staff is friendly. We fight over the last bite of Jalea. Don't miss that. The cerbiche is a speciality so try that. Steamed pulpo, octopus, is tender in a delish sauce; my only complaint is that there wasn't more. It's a small dining room so go early to enjoy.
- A local gourmet surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/6/2014Everything we had was beautifully plated..actually works of art! The flavors in every dish were multi-layered and sophisticated, yet every bite was delicious! I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingfoodieDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I have been to Pucquio twice now. The food is incredible, and so is the service and ambiance. I asked our waiter what wine he suggested with a certain dish, and his recommendation was spot on. The ceviche is the best I've ever had, extremely fresh. We cleaned all our plates! We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed1RobDined on 7/25/2014We decided to try based on great reviews.The jalea was very disappointing,fish was dry,very small amount of calamari,the flavor was good but definitely not worth the price.The good part of the jalea was the two shrimp.My wife had the lomo saltado,meat was overcooked and dry,the flavor of the dish was good but again way over priced.I had the special which was a ribeye with rice and sauteed mushrooms,the mushrooms were completely dried out.The steak was good but not great. Our food came out from the kitchen about 1 hour apart which really suprised me as the restaurant was not too busy. Also some peruvian beer and inka cola would not hurt.Bread and butter with aji would help soften the blow of the bill!
- A find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014We sat directly in front of the kitchen. It was a treat to watch everyone's meals being prepared. Artful construction and absolutely fresh ingredients. For one of our dishes the chef handed us our plate directly from the kitchen with a big smile. He could tell how much we were enjoying the food. Our waiter was a master--enjoying his role as educator and server. We shared four different plates. I won't name them specifically. You'll have fun selecting your own! I'm glad we came early as the seating is limited. However, it's worth waiting for a table if you haven't made reservations.Special Features:
- BerkeleyfoodieVIPDined on 7/1/2014The food was creatively prepared and very satisfying. It was my first time going and I plan to go back and bring others. The space is small; the plus is it's an intimate setting but the restaurant may not be able to accomodate a large group.Special Features:
- disapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2014Food was overly salted to the point that it was nearly unedible
- Great new spot in RockridgeWeekendBlissedDined on 6/28/2014This place is tiny and new, so it fills up quickly. Great cebiches, unique taste combinations....of course, I savored the plantains, the plainest of the faire. Would definitely return...recommend asking for window seats!Special Features:
- Memorable mealcmtlangVIPDined on 6/28/2014Pucquio is a wonderful addition to the neighborhood. The food is outstanding and the service is equally stellar. I've been 3 times and have had 2 different waiters - both were friendly, incredibly knowledgeable, and really enhanced the dining experience. The first time we ate there, the chef also came out and talked with us. Luckily for them, they're now too busy for him to do that. I'm glad word is finally getting out about this place, though. I want it to make it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2014Always have a good meal at Pucquio. They've really expanded their menu since the last time we went. Their cebiches are so tasty -- highly recommend the set of three to try several of them. Pork shoulder was a winner this time around. Chef and hostess/waitress are always so nice. My only issue with the place is that the tables are pretty close together and it can get super noisy when it's crowded, but that doesn't stop us from coming back again and again.
- The following 81 reviews are from the Pucquio reviews archive.
- A GemWenSullVIPDined on 6/20/2014Really outstanding food and service. We were very pleased with the menu and our food, and would highly recommend it to anyone who loves Peruvian food (or needs to be introduced to it!).Special Features:
- Great food!LucyDined on 6/18/2014The service is excellent... super patient with our boys (10 & 12 yrs old) but too pricy for a family of 4. This is best for date-nights so we'll return sans our little FAMISHED angels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ¡Super!keap123Dined on 6/14/2014It was our first time and will certainly not be our last. All four of us loved every single thing about this restaurant. Starting with the popcorn like things that they serve to nibble on while mulling over the menu, to the gracious and fun server, to the OUTSTANDING (and very authentic) ceviches, to the fantastic versions of traditional peruvian favorites, to the not too sweet sangria, to the sweet chef who clearly cares a lot about using suberb ingredients in a lovely way. We can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014This was our second trip to Pucquio. The food continues to be very good and the warmth and friendliness of the owners an extra bonus to a delightful meal.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2014Outstanding restaurant. Deserves to be full all the time. Food is exceptionally fresh, beautifully presented, and unique. Servers and chefs are delightful. You should not miss dining at Pucquio.Special Features:
- Cebiche and morePhilDined on 6/3/2014Sitting at the counter and watching Carlos cook is almost as much fun as enjoying the food itself. For people who are interested in how food is well prepared, who enjoys an artist at work and who loves the freshest ingredients Pucquio is a restaurant not to be missed.Special Features:
- Fresh, fresh, freshLinaDined on 5/8/2014Pucquio elevates traditional Peruvian dishes with incredibly fresh, high quality seafood and vegetables. You might have to ask the wait staff to turn down the rock and roll music.Special Features:
- All About the Food and FlavorspbengDined on 5/7/2014The setting is small, but comfortable/simple. I will definitely go back for the food and flavors. I felt like I was having dinner cooked just for us by our new Peruvian friends - who happen to make wonderful dishes. The pace was slow, but not distractingly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MicksfVIPDined on 4/24/2014Excellent, a true gem in the Oakland dining scene.Special Features:
- Sour CebichesssatinssDined on 4/23/2014This is a great place for seafood. It was very quiet on a Wednesday night, so they were able to accommodate our party of 4 plus a baby. All of the food was flavorful. Only small note, the rice was hard. Other than that, the service was good and we enjoyed ourselves here once again. I always love the sour cebiches the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real FindLarryVIPDined on 4/22/2014Well presented and vibrant-tasting Peruvian food. Interesting selection of South American and Spanish wines. Gracious service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Fresh from the SeabcolljamesVIPDined on 4/12/2014All of the dishes with fish, shrimp, squid were excellent. The whole baked fish especially. The restaurant is a little gem for sure.Special Features:
- Great Peruvian Cebiche with a ShowPhilDined on 4/10/2014The cebiche is fantastic! Fresh ingredients added to a creative blend of peppers, lime red onions etc. But almost as good as the food was the experience of watching the meal prepared by an expert. Better than any show! You should definitely sit at the bar if you can.Special Features:
- Great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2014I was surprised and delighted by the great tastes and the beautiful presentation of the food. The service was friendly and helpful. I sat looking into the open kitchen and so enjoyed watching the chef prepare and plate the food. I would certainly return and share this dinning experience with more of my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small, but goodKdragonDined on 3/26/2014Pucquio is a tiny Rockridge restaurant that serves fresh, Peruvian plates. Great selection of ceviches and Peruvian standards like lomo saltado and tacu tacu. All plates can and should be shared. You have to be a little patient, since the chef cooks everything to order and there's only one of him. Service was cordial, and the chef comes out from behind the counter to see how you like your food. Best to make reservations, since they can seat only around 20 diners. Give it a try even if you've never had Peruvian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Peruvian foodDawnVIPDined on 3/18/2014Delicious cebiche, outstanding fish en papillotte, friendly service. Would love to sit at the bar next time and watch the chef! Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superbly fresh food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/15/2014We came for a 6:30pm SAT night dinner, and sat at the bar top, in front of kitchen and really enjoyed seeing the food being prepped. It was all amazingly fresh and tasted real good. The bottle of house sangria hit the spot. This was our 1st visit... we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted to like Pucquio,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/12/2014We wanted to like Pucquio, but it wasn't meant to be. Our hostess/server tried her best, but the dining room was too much for 1-person to handle. The kitchen is slow (our dinner was almost 2.5hrs). 30mins after being seated, my party of 4 was asked to move from our corner table (by a group of 7 who also had reservations) to an uncomfortable spot next to the kitchen walkway. There was no space for my bag, except on the floor. The restaurant is small and stuffy (poorly ventilated). Bathrooms are outside, down a driveway (shared with an office complex). Charming neighborhood, good ceviche and dessert, but for the price-point there are better dining options around.
- Food was awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/28/2014Everything we had was delightful. Small place so it feels like someone is cooking for you in your own kitchen. This added to the ambiance. This service was also great. Very friendly and explained every dish. This was our first time eating Peruvian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.