Puccini & Pinetti
129 Ellis Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Puccini & Pinetti
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pucciniandpinetti.com/
- Phone: (415) 392-5500
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Weekdays Days 7:00am-10:30am and Weekends 8am-10:30am
Lunch 7 Days a Week 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner 7 Days a Week 4:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Avery Holt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a semi-private area in the rear of our restaurant that can accommodate parties up to 65 guests. To reserve this space and for more details please reach out to Nicole at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Banquets and parties over 10 people should speak to Nicole Bergeron
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Bergeron 4153925500x
- Entertainment: Easily one of San Francisco's best happy hours!!
Great place for pre or post theater dining!
Walking distance to some of the best shopping the City has to offer!!
- Special Events: Wondering where to go for lunch? Weekdays, we offer a "quickie lunch" with a different option everyday. We also offer a three-course meal for $18.00 and if you feel like a glass of wine, just add $3.00!!!
Lots of good reasons to join us for lunch!!
A word from Puccini & Pinetti
This modern Italian grill features a lively, upbeat air of activity throughout the bar and dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Puccini & Pinetti reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (34)good for groups (31)great for lunch (26)vibrant bar scene (23)special occasion (19)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (10)romantic (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hidden GemRosiepDined on 11/15/2014This is a great place to go with a group, service was excellent, waiters friendly. We got our entrees without much wait, everyone was pleased. Love the happy hour too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014We were going to the theater and wanted fairly fast service with good food and nice ambiance. It is hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner but Noisy RestaurantbbergVIPDined on 11/15/2014We had great food and excellent service, but the noise level was such that our party of 4 had to strain to hear each other. The noise says we will never return, which is sad as the food and service were so very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/12/2014Has become too expensive for the quality of food and restaurant that it is. Used to be much more in line, cost-wise, to the type of place it is. Not worth the prices being now charged. After going for many years, we will not go back.
- Pre-theaterSueLosAltosDined on 11/12/2014First time visit - before theater at A.C.T. which listed it on their web site as places to eat nearby. Enjoyed appetizers - especially the bruschetta and frito misto. Good main courses followed by a fantastic hot chocolate dessert. Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2014I have always liked coming to this place for lunch! We have season tickets for the SHN Best of Broadway so we are in the city at least 5 times a year and we have tried other restaurants in the area, but we always come back to Puccini & Pinetti! We usually sit in the bar area and have always had outstanding service, food, and drinks. This time we came for dinner with a few (6) friends. This was their first experience with this establishment. Usually dinner time is busy so the service was a bit hectic, but overall the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected betterMcmdkddVIPDined on 11/8/2014This looks like a cute, quaint restaurant so we thought we would give it a try as it was across the street from the Parc 55 hotel where we were staying. This may be a good place for lunch or dinner but skip it for breakfast. Service was extremely slow to almost non-existant. There was only one waiter for the entire restaurant on this Saturday morning around 9:30 am , and he was trying his best to cover all the tables so it was not his problem but a management problem in that the manager should have assisted or something. Food arrived with eggs overcooked and barely warm, potatoes cold and hard and there was one slice of toast,that was cold Very, very disappointing.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Waiter was very efficient knowing we were going to the theatre and he knew we had a time limit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentRarelydineoutDined on 11/5/2014For the price, I think you can find better. The beef carpaccio was fantastic. Risotto was take it or leave it. I went for lunch with a client and the tab was $68.
- Good value, great foodMarkfromUKDined on 11/2/2014We needed a spot for a dinner out with friends, and this fit the bill. Food was tasty and lots of it. A little more selection would be nice, but overall it was good quality for great value.Special Features:
- Good food, vibrant atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2014Modern Italian food with a vibrant feel. Warm spinach salad was phenomenal.Special Features:
- DisappointedraviVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was my favorite place in Union Square - breakfast which I tried the first time was the worse thing I ever had. The potatoes were flash frozen an d had that chemical taste, the eggs were terrible. This was my favorite place for Chicken Marsala so disappointedI would recommend this to a friend.
- Pasta homemade and excellentYumYumVIPDined on 10/22/2014The mixed fish pasta was lovely, the bucatini handmade here noodles were the best I ever had, but the chunks of pancetta were way too salty. Try the bucatini with a plain tomato sauce or some other meat. Good wine list, quieter toward the back. Great server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved this restaurantTravelling2foodiesDined on 10/21/2014Had such a great lunch , reserved a table for dinner !Special Features:
- More than one star is a mysteryWine4guyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Poor ambience, indifferent service and lousy food make this a forgettable experiemce
- Kitchen Couldn't Keep UpRunnerMegDined on 10/18/2014We arrived for our reservation on time and it took about 15 minutes for the host to seat us. No problem. We were sat, we ordered drinks and some salad for appetizers and our dinner. Salads & bread arrived before the drinks but that was okay, our waiter was great. Then we waited, and waited and waited. Our waiter kept us informed but it took over an hour before we received our meal. We asked for additional bread but were told it costs extra. I ordered the same thing as my friend but mine was missing the corn. Our waiter brought it later but I was already half way done. The food was good but not great. The manager made no offer to take anything off the bill for waiting so long. I won't be coming back here again.Special Features:
- Rushed out the doordisappointeddinerDined on 10/18/2014I get it, they are a popular restaurant.That isn't reason to rush you out the door because they "have people waiting". Our reservation was for 5:45 and at 6:45, our table of 5 was told "we have people waiting & have to clear this table now,sorry to rush you out". You should have seen the server when I asked to see the dessert menu... bad planning, bad management, bad scheduling, really bad execution. After talking to the manager on our way out the door he apologized that they were moving tables but he agreed the execution wasn't good. He apologized & shooed us out the door... extremely disappointed that our $300 bill didn't at least earn us a few minutes to count out the cash tip and collect our things in a nice manner.Special Features:
- DissapointingAaronDined on 10/18/2014Service was unsatisfactory. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Waiter was very slow to get to our table, explaining he was on break. He did not tell us the specials. We constantly needed to ask for things. The only gave one water for the 2 of us. Coffee was not refilled, etc. Did not bring check . Restaurant is understaffed. Staff is not well trained Food was fine, salad, Chicken Marsala, seafood pasta. Dessert did not include berries as described.
- I keep coming back.EATS4BB3VIPDined on 10/15/2014My dining companion said the veggies were under cooked by about one minute, Salmon over cooked by about forty-five seconds. That is too fine a line for me and she ate all of the Salmon and most of the veggies. The Bruschetta was as advertised, Baby Kale, and the Special (lemon pan fried Tilapia) were very tasty. The Bar continues to shine, we tried the Margarita Italiano, it was okay, I liked my regular Margarita better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient -not much elseOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/15/2014Went to breakfast with a client here this week. On the plus side it wasn't very crowded so it was quiet. The food was so-so and the service was spotty at best. For the price point, I will not go back.
- Excellent Food & ServiceDineSublimeDined on 10/11/2014We have dined here several time; and will continue to do so when in S.F. The food is superb, the waiting staff is very attentive, although our waiter did try to push the drinks & appetizers & it was a great location for a before theater dinner.Special Features:
- Great!123wigsDined on 10/11/2014Every thing we ordered was very good we can always count on food consistency.When we come to San Francisco we head for your place as do our friends.The scallops I had were excellent my wife loved the chocolate dessert!Special Features:
- Not greatJoMoDined on 10/10/2014The food was ok. Service was friendly but not attentive and forgetful. They just seemed inexperienced.
- repeating with a different friendEATS4BB3VIPDined on 10/8/2014Had my Baby Kale Mista salad, very good as usual, tried the Chicken Marsala, t'was excellent. Dining companion had an Italian Salami Panini and the Olives, she wants to return after our Burke Williams Spa date. So lunch is STILL GREAT.Special Features:
- good pre-theater choiceLindaWVIPDined on 10/1/2014This restaurant is near theaters and has consistently good food and service. Noise level depends on conventions in town or games on TV.Special Features:
- Birthday trip to San FranSftripDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant was located across the street from our hotel so we made reservations for dinner. We were seated quickly and received great service! The food and wine were amazing I will visit again the next time we are in San FranSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner!DKG19Dined on 9/27/2014Very cozy and comfortable restaurant. Get a table in the back because the front is noisy due to the thriving bar. Food was very good but thought the price for each meal should have been about $10 less. Service was good until I needed a soda refill. Took about 25 mins. Don't know if we would return because of the prices but I would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!LikaLadyDined on 9/26/2014Our entire party enjoy every morsel of our meals. The service was impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAMJRVIPDined on 9/26/2014We have been to the restaurant before and have enjoyed our experience. This time we went on a Friday night before the theater. The main part of the restaurant was crowded and very noisy. We were offered a table in the rear of the restaurant which we accepted. The food and service were good. I had an excellent ravioli and my wife had a cannelloni dish. The waiter was very busy but still gave good attention to our needs. Unfortunately the restaurant reported us as a no show to Open Table which was eventually resolved. The chaos in the Friday night session probably was the reason for the poor record keeping. We will be back but not on Friday Night!!Special Features:
- Good place for average dinnerWaldoDined on 9/21/2014Food was good, service was excellent but the noise level was overwhelming. Had to almost yell to be heard over other tables. The noise level was a huge turn off. We will go back at a time for an off time meal( not peak serving hours)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinnercpitu2014Dined on 9/20/2014Puccini & Pinetti restaurant has a good ambiance. The food is really delicious. I had my birthday dinner in this place and i really had a great time here. The attention was the best😊Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time as good as the firstEATS4BB3VIPDined on 9/17/2014Siete Leguas Reposado is great for sipping OR Margaritas, the Kale Mista salad needed more Kale, other wise everything was very good. Pan Seared Scallops, Spinach Salad, Cheese Burger (cooked as requested).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was poorYuckDined on 9/14/2014We have eaten several time at Puccini and Pinetti's; this was a horrible experience. The waiter got our order wrong; when it came it was horrible tasting. In the past it has been very good, not this time. I would not recommend it again.
- fun2eatDined on 9/10/2014We were a bit early for our reservation but it wasn't a problem. The waiter was great. The food was good. We didn't feel rushed at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodluvitalyDined on 9/10/2014Have only been to Puccini & Pinetti a few times since I do not live in the city. This visit was excellent, as always. My companion and I shared a wood plank of charcuterie and an order of fried calamari. Both were very good and generous servings. We closed with a classic version of tiramisu. If you like to start with a cocktail I highly recommend the Negroni. Another classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite city spot for us!LAURVIPDined on 9/9/2014We love this place! We have season tickets to the Orpheum and ALWAYS start our night with drinks then dinner at Puccini and Pinetti! Awesome appetizers and fabulous menu! Plus it's got a great vibe!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service not so muchmegeorgeDined on 9/7/2014I have been to the restaurant a few times before and have had no complaints about anything and the food has been excellent. But this evening left a lot to be desired. Instead of the staff seeing anything was needed, I had to wait for someone's attention and then ask for things such as a water refill or a steak knife for my dinner. It also took three people coming up to my table for one to actually take my empty plate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner after a showgseeversDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good. The waiter and chef agreed to accommodate some special requests which was appreciated. The pork chops were excellent and the quality was great.Special Features:
- CityAlDined on 8/29/2014As a SF resident for more than 30 years I can honestly say this was one of the WORST dining experiences I have ever had in the City!!! Dinner before the theater - wait staff was discourteous, flippant and poorly trained, food was poorly prepared, bread was stale, silver wear was dirty and the presentation was horrid. My wife & I were so disappointed that we chose to dine here with so many other great options in the City - it was, in all honesty, a waste of time and money. My recommendation would be to avoid this place at all cost if you are looking for the type of dining experience you would expect from a San Francisco restaurant!!!!!!! Not one saving grace - if you want Italian - go to North Beach!!!! .
- sincitydreamingDined on 8/29/2014Upscale with an authentic Italian feel. Nice big bar, friendly bartender & regulars, jammed packed during happy hour. Anchor Steam on tap! We had reservations and were seated immediately in a nice big comfy booth. I must add that it was fun to watch the passers-by and the traffic as we dined. Wait staff was attentive and even asked what kind of water we preferred (ie. sparkling or not)! We received complimentary bread and oil with our meals. I had the margherita pizza, which was absolutely delicious with a sweet, light sauce. My husband had the chicken marsala, with no complaints. Love the location and the atmosphere here, will definitely return on my next trip to the bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.