Puccini & Pinetti
129 Ellis Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Puccini & Pinetti
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.pucciniandpinetti.com/
- Phone: 4153925500x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Weekdays Days 7:00am-10:30am and Weekends 8am-10:30am
Lunch 7 Days a Week 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner 7 Days a Week 4:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, Vegetarian
- Executive Chef: Avery Holt
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have a semi-private area in the rear of our restaurant that can accommodate parties up to 65 guests. To reserve this space and for more details please reach out to Nicole at email@example.com.
- Private Party Facilities: Banquets and parties over 10 people should speak to Nicole Bergeron
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Bergeron 4153925500x
- Entertainment: Easily one of San Francisco's best happy hours!!
Great place for pre or post theater dining!
Walking distance to some of the best shopping the City has to offer!!
- Special Events: Wondering where to go for lunch? Weekdays, we offer a "quickie lunch" with a different option everyday. We also offer a three-course meal for $18.00 and if you feel like a glass of wine, just add $3.00!!!
Lots of good reasons to join us for lunch!!
A word from Puccini & Pinetti
This modern Italian grill features a lively, upbeat air of activity throughout the bar and dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Puccini & Pinetti reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (32)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (23)good for groups (21)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (16)special occasion (16)late-night find (16)hot spot (14)great for brunch (9)romantic (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food was poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We have eaten several time at Puccini and Pinetti's; this was a horrible experience. The waiter got our order wrong; when it came it was horrible tasting. In the past it has been very good, not this time. I would not recommend it again.
- fun2eatDined on 9/10/2014We were a bit early for our reservation but it wasn't a problem. The waiter was great. The food was good. We didn't feel rushed at all.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodluvitalyDined on 9/10/2014Have only been to Puccini & Pinetti a few times since I do not live in the city. This visit was excellent, as always. My companion and I shared a wood plank of charcuterie and an order of fried calamari. Both were very good and generous servings. We closed with a classic version of tiramisu. If you like to start with a cocktail I highly recommend the Negroni. Another classic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite city spot for us!LAURDined on 9/9/2014We love this place! We have season tickets to the Orpheum and ALWAYS start our night with drinks then dinner at Puccini and Pinetti! Awesome appetizers and fabulous menu! Plus it's got a great vibe!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food excellent, service not so muchmegeorgeDined on 9/7/2014I have been to the restaurant a few times before and have had no complaints about anything and the food has been excellent. But this evening left a lot to be desired. Instead of the staff seeing anything was needed, I had to wait for someone's attention and then ask for things such as a water refill or a steak knife for my dinner. It also took three people coming up to my table for one to actually take my empty plate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinner after a showgseeversDined on 8/31/2014The food was very good. The waiter and chef agreed to accommodate some special requests which was appreciated. The pork chops were excellent and the quality was great.Special Features:
- CityAlDined on 8/29/2014As a SF resident for more than 30 years I can honestly say this was one of the WORST dining experiences I have ever had in the City!!! Dinner before the theater - wait staff was discourteous, flippant and poorly trained, food was poorly prepared, bread was stale, silver wear was dirty and the presentation was horrid. My wife & I were so disappointed that we chose to dine here with so many other great options in the City - it was, in all honesty, a waste of time and money. My recommendation would be to avoid this place at all cost if you are looking for the type of dining experience you would expect from a San Francisco restaurant!!!!!!! Not one saving grace - if you want Italian - go to North Beach!!!! .
- sincitydreamingDined on 8/29/2014Upscale with an authentic Italian feel. Nice big bar, friendly bartender & regulars, jammed packed during happy hour. Anchor Steam on tap! We had reservations and were seated immediately in a nice big comfy booth. I must add that it was fun to watch the passers-by and the traffic as we dined. Wait staff was attentive and even asked what kind of water we preferred (ie. sparkling or not)! We received complimentary bread and oil with our meals. I had the margherita pizza, which was absolutely delicious with a sweet, light sauce. My husband had the chicken marsala, with no complaints. Love the location and the atmosphere here, will definitely return on my next trip to the bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service--alwaysyummyDined on 8/27/2014We go back whenever we go to the theatre even though there are so many options in the same vicinity. The servers are so accommodating, quick, and friendly. Great appetizers, bar, and nightly specials. Everyone makes you feel welcome. You leave full and happy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!ShowgirlDined on 8/23/2014I've eaten here twice, each time prior to shows at the Orpheum. Both lunch and dinner have been great, and I have been totally happy with everything I've ordered. It's easy walk to the Orpheum from there-about a 15 minute walk. I highly recommend this place, as the service and food are wonderful. I'd eat there even if I weren't going to the Orpheum.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant/initially too loudRosieDined on 8/22/2014The service was great. The food was great, but the noise was too much until we were moved to a table that was more quiet. When you can't hear your waiter or your dinner guests it is too loud. The restaurant did accommodate our request and it became more pleasant with wonderful food. The bar scene was too vibrant for diners!!When I see energetic as a score I hope it doesn't mean to too noisy too talk with your table guests!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicePaulusDined on 8/19/2014great place, great food and good wine! Carlos, thank you for picking the right wine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply EnjoyableCTinSFDined on 8/18/2014Had a very pleasant meal while having a marvelous time catching up with friends. The menu had some tantalizing options. Opted for the scallops, which were tasty but a bit of a tiny tease. Service was excellent and the overall vibe was a fun mix of lively and relaxed. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - but poor serviceHRSDVIPDined on 8/14/2014This restaurant is in a high-traffic part of San Francisco and consistently busy. Been here several times and the food is quite good. Seemed to be short on servers resulting in very long waits and over-stressed staff making multiple errors and taking a long time. But food was very good in generous portions.
- Great Food, but loudGibz2000Dined on 8/13/2014The food and service were excellent. My only complaint was that it was rather loud when we ate there (roughly 8:30 on a week day night). We also tried to stop in a couple nights later but there was a bit of a wait. I would recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Convenient to hotelsHass1Dined on 8/13/2014Bruschetta was fantastic!!!!! Enjoyed the veal scallopini .the tiny scallops were very good but 4 for $28 was ridiculous. Disappointed they didn't serve cannoli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great ServiceEricaDined on 8/10/2014I've been in town for one week and ate here two times. I leave on August 22nd and will most definitely eat here again. It's a great place with wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceEricaDined on 8/7/2014I am visiting from the DC area. I'm used to nice restaurants being slightly expensive. Puccini & Pinetti is a nice restaurant reasonably priced. The service is amazing. I dropped my fork before any food was delivered to our table. When the food arrived the waiter noticed a didn't have a fork. I didn't have to tell him. That might not seem like a big deal. But to me, it's huge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodWisconsinDined on 8/3/2014Food was great. Atmosphere was a bit noisier than expected.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie77Dined on 8/3/2014Had a large party of 13 with kids for my birthday there. Good food, kid friendly, fast service. My husband went earlier to drop off a cake they told us the cake plating was $3/person. When we got the bill, they charged us $5/person and for 16 people. The first bill was taken away and said they made mistake and would cancel the charges (after they took our card) and the 2nd bill was almost $100 more! Make sure you check your bill!! Also, not happy they wouldn't honour happy hour prices while seated in the dining room, had a large group and we couldnt fit in the bar area where they had the happy hour prices for drinks and apps so we had to pay full price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MartySVIPDined on 8/3/2014The food was good. The wait staff seems usually overwhelmed. The gentleman (manager?), seems a little scattered as well and at times would swing by and look at our large staff of dirty dishes and keep walking. Overall--they need to work on the details and focus on customer service.
- Nice dinner with familyCaliGirl2045Dined on 8/2/2014Made reservations here to meet family that we hadn't seen in a long time. We were seated in the back of the restaurant which some people might not like but we loved it since we had 3 small children and wanted a bit more room. We were the only one's back there. Service was really good. One of our guests was gluten free and was told they could make almost any dish gluten free so that was a positive point for sure. Kids menu had a nice selection with several choices. Food was hot and tasted great. The only downside was that to get to the restroom you had to walk a bit far through the hotel attached (I didn't know it was attached to a hotel up to this point) to get to them. Not a big deal though. I would certainly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Good food, noisy, plenty of kidskitchendudeDined on 8/1/2014My wife and I tried P&P during the second day of our week's vacation - first week of August. Service was very good from all the wait staff, the waitress helped pick out wine to match her meal. Overall a good experience. My only issue was with the risotto, I found it bland and slightly undercooked. However, my wife who also ordered the same dish found it satisfying. If you don't mind the energetic atmosphere and slightly pricey menu it should be a good fit, especially if you're staying at Union Square.Special Features:
- Good, howevermichelleVIPDined on 7/30/2014San Francisco has so many great spots. Although Our meal was good I didn't really find it memorable. It was fine........ Had the vegatable soup, vegi's were a bit too raw and the soup tasted like it just been made that afternoon, no time to blend the flavors of a good Italian soup. Waiter was friendly however it felt a bit like a factory......... Probably will try it again someday but it's not a "must rush back"!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey tourist trapOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/29/2014The chicken marsala was salty and too saucy (the sauce tasted canned) and the salmon looked like it had been cooked earlier and reheated. Overpriced, too loud, and full of unknowing tourists who think it represents good Italian food in San Francisco. Thumbs down.
- VisitingXkeyinlvDined on 7/25/2014This restaraunt was across from our hotel. Food was great. Service was a little slow. But we were not in a hurry. Recommend the pork chop MmmmmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedDined on 7/25/2014We were delayed by traffic so called ahead and reservation was adjusted easily allowing for us to slip right in to bar table seating. Because we had tickets for the theater, we only had time for appetizers and glass of wine. The staff took care of us and got us on the way in plenty of time for the show. The location near Union Square and Market Street was ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014Got to the restaurant in time to take part in happy hour prices. Great deals on food and drinks! Wonderful service-pleasant and prompt!Special Features:
- Reliable good foodFunhuntressDined on 7/20/2014I brought a group here for dinner after a matinee. They all loved it. Service was a bit spotty in that did not get new silverware when old was taken away and not keeping up with water but other wise ok. Some were surprised at portion size of a pasta dish that was $24 but all enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience!MoogieDined on 7/15/2014Everything was great! I was looking for a restaurant near Union Square because I had relatives in town and wanted something not too touristy or expensive. When I reserved through Open Table, I indicated that I was gluten-free and that we had a toddler in our party. There was a special gluten-free menu waiting for me, and for the toddler, there was a booster seat, child's water (with a straw and plastic lid to avoid spills), paper placemat for coloring, and crayons already at the table. I was very impressed with the care they took to meet our needs. The waitress was extremely nice, friendly, and helpful. The food was fantastic! I had the salmon, which was very tasty. The crème brûlée for dessert was amazing. I will definately return!Special Features:
- AndiHortoDined on 7/15/2014This was my first time here and I was pleased with the service and the food was good. I travel to SF a couple times a year for work and this was a good spot for lunch for meeting clients.Special Features:
- Great find, foodie bargainANonyMouseDined on 7/14/2014What a lucky find-- really good food, great service, friendly old wood and leather ambiance. Hey, not the best neighborhood since close to the Tenderloin, but across the street from Parc 55 Wyndham 5-star hotel, so how bad can it be? Our salmon was terrific, chicken marsala great. Good but small wine list. Best deal-- Happy Hour every day 3-6 with house wines at $3, cocktails $4 - $6.50 and lively with locals (they know a good deal when they find one). Just step around the winos outside and watch the street action from the comfort of inside. Lots of young people in this neighborhood, few tourists. Try it.Special Features:
- Delicious!JulieDined on 7/12/2014My first visit to San Fran area and we were staying at the hotel across the street from the restaurant. In the mood for italian, we tried it and we were not disappointed! Had the mussels to start and 2 orders of linguine with claims. Fresh, tasty and the fresh parm that they served with the pasta was a great bonus! I would recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014Great meal and outstanding service before a play in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suggestionsshirlVIPDined on 7/12/2014the food was very good, but would love to see more vegetarian options. right now, they are very limited, especially for an italian restaurant.Special Features:
- What a gem!FoodieDined on 7/11/2014Was traveling to San Fran and found this gem! The bartender was really nice and recommended the spaghetti and meatballs ( which I usually wouldn't get) but glad I did... The meatballs were excellent! Not a place to go if you want peace and quiet..but great if you want a fun environment and good drinks this is the way to goSpecial Features:
- Service was greatelpfilmsDined on 7/10/2014My family are a bit picky and the server did a great job accommodating them. He even split up the beer and entree they shared in 2 separate dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An OK place for dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014The overall dinner was good. The warm bruschetta with rocatta cheese was great. The chicken Marsala sauce was very good, the mashed potates were very good, however the chicken was dry.
- JimboDined on 7/9/2014Good food and service. Very noisy where we were seated. With a reservation though we would get a quieter table in the back. Picked this restaurant because we had a gift cert. given at Christmas at this specific rest through Kimpton said they were no longer associated with them and would not accept it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening mealBufomanDined on 7/8/2014Great place to go for dinner before going to a play at the Geary or Curran TheatersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.