277 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01566Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publickhouse.com/
- Phone: 5083477323
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:30am - 10:30am, Sunday: 8:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Heenan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Something Old...Something New... For the wedding of your dreams, whether it be indoors or out at our 3 season tent venue, come to the Publick House Historic Inn of Sturbridge, MA. the ultimate venue for your memorable New England wedding. Our wedding consultants work with you to ensure your vision becomes reality. They will help you with every detail from planning the bridal shower, booking rooms for your guests, arranging your bridal suite, hosting the rehearsal dinner, the wedding ceremony and the wedding reception. The ambiance, the romance, the memories await you at the Publick House. Since 1771 the Publick House has been the site of countless successful meetings, functions and some revolutionary good times. Today, the tradition continues. We offer a unique mix of location, charm and hospitality. From sales meetings to corporate retreats to showers and birthday parties,we offer you a choice of 11 distinctive banquet rooms with colonial charm.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Skowron 5083477323x28
A word from Publick House
We welcome you to the Publick House Historic Inn where delicious homemade food and comfortable lodging becomes your home away from home. When you come to the Publick House to feast on our generous meals and enjoy the comfort of our Yankee hospitality, you'll be warmed by the same magnificent open hearths that warmed our early American ancestors. Whether you're looking for a restaurant that offers family dining, need comfortable accommodations, or you're in need of a convenient meeting place, planning a bridal shower or want the perfect venue for your dream wedding...the Publick House Historic Inn welcomes you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Publick House - Best Restaurants in Sturbridge ›
Publick House reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (38)romantic (24)neighborhood gem (22)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (16)scenic view (12)kid-friendly (8)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Historic area is niceMelodyWDined on 10/18/2014Lets begin with the good stuff, the hostess was friendly with a nice seating area when our reservation at 6 PM was not ready until 6:30. The setting was historical and nicely restored. After we were seated, it took almost 15 minutes for a wait person to ask us for drinks. Note, we did try to purchase drinks at the bar area earlier (as we waited) but too many people for the staff to even see us. I was underwhelmed with the lack of over all service from the wait staff. The wait person was gruff and slammed the drinks and food onto the table. We almost thought, maybe she is trying to act like someone back in time .. not. The fish was good, the sides were well seasoned and once we received the drinks, they were fine. I would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014excellent food and excellent service from our server, AprilSpecial Features:
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014There were 6 of us and we had lunch. The variety on the menu was great. We enjoyed all the different breads that were provided before our meals. we had excellent service and the atmosphere was historic and comfortable. We were seated at exactly our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal.kathyDined on 10/16/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Charm & Wonderful FoodOldeWorldGirlDined on 10/14/2014My family and I loved the Inn and its tasty, traditional fare. It's steeped in Olde Colonial ambience, and the dining room is plain but pleasant. A basket of fresh sweet breads was brought as we perused the menu, and our server was cheerful and attentive throughout our meal. The four entrees we ordered (baked cod, lobster pie, a standard turkey dinner, and a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings) were simply but beautifully plated, and the portions were ENORMOUS -- you will NOT go hungry! The desserts were equally huge (we split two) and the Apple Pie and Indian Pudding were both fragrant, hot, and delicious. A great place to create happy memories; we can gladly recommend The Publick House and will return again and again.Special Features:
- Historic gem.LongtimeFanDined on 10/13/2014After many years of visiting Publick House, the historic ambiance was not a great as in the past. The service was not as polished as I recall from past visits. Maybe just an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILL NOT RETURNcfromriDined on 10/12/2014While a busy week-end and weddings on site, and athough I had reservations, the desk staff seemed as though it was their 1st time at this. So we did wait 20 minutes. That service was duplicated in the dining room, where, Charles, responded to the next table to several men that would call him over,while in conversation with us. He actually brough oil & vinegar and then removed salad forks! When he brought the entree, I asked for the salads. He brought the salads, removed the entrees and after we through, made comments on that these were new entrees, but they were not. The meal was tepid and we were very dissatisfied and will not be returning.
- karenDined on 10/12/2014We look forward to our annual trip to the Publick House in the fall. The turkey dinner was outstanding, as usual. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok food & serviceUnimpressedDined on 10/12/2014"OK" is about the extent of it. Chicken pot pie was unremarkable and a bit runny. Ravioli was nice, but would have benefited from a heavier hand on spices. Service was very friendly and hospitable, but a number of requests were forgotten until a a reminder was proffered.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerrogerspaDined on 10/10/2014Picked this place because it had everything my girlfriend likes to eat. Definitely make a reservation as Fri night dinner can get busy. Loved the old style rustic look inside. Not sure if the place was THAT busy but it took a while for our waiter to greet us to the point where we knew what we wanted for drinks, apps, main course. Wanted to enjoy the evening so we were not in a rush so it wasn't a big deal. Once we got our bread... loved the variety. The cesar salad, lobster mac&cheese and crab cake was excellent (could have used a bit more lobster in the m&c. The turkey dinner my girlfriend had was perfect. I got the prim rib which was a bit overcooked and dry and no au jus but did come with horseradish sauce. Overall good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014We have been here many times and never had a bad experienceSpecial Features:
- Good Ol' Publick HouseGittithDined on 10/4/2014If you are in the neighborhood, this is a must try. I've been coming here for ages, more for the nostalgia than the food. Portions are generous. More home cooked than foodie experience. Waitstaff are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of historyDingerVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is set in an old farmhouse and is a huge place. Food is amazing, though my steak was over cooked asking for medium and receiving well done. Best fish and chips we have had in a long time. They also have a bakery you will want to visit down stairs. Our server was pretty much right there but not annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedUnclePhineas47Dined on 9/23/2014We love the authentic tastes of New England at this restaurant. Every restaranteur who offers "Yankee Pot Roast" needs to take lessons from this chef. We have never had better, including from my 19th century Mayflower descended mother-in-law! Thanksgiving everyday is also a treat we find hard to resist, but this time my wife had the Butternut squash ravioli. (Who said New Englanders were stubbornly stuck in their ways?) She loved it and the generous portions that gave us a second day meal. You can't go wrong at Publick House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfied as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014As always, we really enjoyed our meal. I had the turkey dinner, my favorite, and my wife enjoyed her grilled salmon.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerfoodforthoughtDined on 9/17/2014Publick house did give us a good table as we requested for a birthday celebration and also a slice of cake with candle as a surprise. The food was very good but predictable. Its nice to be able to order an old favorite but the menu could use some new items. Our server was adequate but not very personable. Tip would have been better if he had maybe smiled or been slightly more engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanVIPDined on 9/13/2014As always, delicious food and plenty of it! A friendly, efficient waitress. It's always special to visit the Publick House, and not bad to stop at the wonderful bake shop before leaving!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food and service were excellent as always. I enjoyed the steak and my wife enjoyed the turkey dinner feast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- historicinthebizDined on 9/5/2014Onion soup came luke warm. The rest of the food was fairly good fare. Standard. Service another story. For the love of Pete you are in the hospitality business. Show interest. Eye contact. Truely smile.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 9/4/2014Being a tourist in the area, I think it would be a special occasion dining place. I have been three times before in the last 25 years and it is still one of my favorite places in the area. I am sure, when I come again in the next few years, I shall dine there again.Special Features:
- We Love this placeUnclePhineas47Dined on 9/3/2014Nearly fifty years ago we stayed at the inn for part of our honeymoon and dined at the the restaurant. We loved it then and we continue to enjoy the authentic historic surroundings and the wonderful New England food whenever we are int he area. We have never had a bad meal or an off day for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2teachDined on 9/1/2014Excellent service, good food, and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service was okayNjoygdfoodDined on 8/29/2014Have been to the Publick House many times in the last 50 or so years that I have been in the area. It is old New England at its finest. Great food and atmosphere. There was a huge wedding which probably contributed to the slow service. Waitress was pleasant but not very attentive. I will certainly go back mostly because of the history and food. We had the Lobster Pie and Duck both of which were amazing. The basket of rolls including their sticky buns were still good and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food at it's bestBodhisattvaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Thanksgiving dinner in August? Absolutely! Turkey dinner was really perfect-- complete with all the traditional sides you'd expect!l More than enough food-- especially if you indulge in the bread basket! Sticky pecan rolls anyone? YUM!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningSummerdining2014Dined on 8/19/2014We made our reservations on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. It is buy one get one free dinner coupon night so that made for a crazy and overwhelming time for waitress we think. Very, very busy. Food excellent. We find it a little more enjoyable in winter when it us quieter but a great place to go for dinner. We always recommend to our friends and family. Our grandson joined us both nights and our daughter the second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasureRedSoxMomDined on 8/19/2014I chose this restaurant for my mother's birthday. It is historic and elegant without being pretentious. The food is plentiful and delicious. I had requested a small cake for four and received a call on the day of the event from the Director of Food and Beverages to confirm and decide on flavor, etc. I really appreciated the call and also I had flowers delivered which were on the table when we arrived.Special Features:
- Classic New England FaregbsmittyDined on 8/18/2014Substantial and flavouful meals at decent prices reminiscent of the meals from the pasts of those of us who are a bit older. Pot pie, Shepards pie, Yankee pot roast and such. We felt fortunate this resturant was not closer to us or we'd both weigh 500 lbs. Recommended for those evenings you want to eat something like mom/grandma would have made (if you had lived in the northeast).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Shirley was our server and was very attentive to our needs. Our meals were delicious as always and that is why we return as often as we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitkfmeehanDined on 8/17/2014On a Sunday night after a disappointing Red Sox loss, the visit to the Public House quickly changed our mood. The reception was courteous and engaging, the hostess most pleasant, and the decor just what we wanted. The lobster mac & cheese and the turkey dinner were outstanding. The timing of the service was perfect and added to a most pleasant dining experience. We have been there twice now, once for lunch & once for dinner and plan on going again!Special Features:
- Only Fair this TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014We had a waiter (Jim) who did not know what he was doing. Order a bottle of wine and he brought glasses, when he brought the bottle did not let anyone sample it just pour it. The meal was nothing to brag about by any of us. We all decided should have gotten the turkey.
- It was okFred52Dined on 8/16/2014Only ok, not a real memorable dining experience. Nothing wrong, just a place past its prime. Food was very reasonably priced, some entrees as low as $16.
- Beki112Dined on 8/15/2014Our waitress Ann was fantastic!!!!! The food was great!!! The Chicken Vol au Vent or whatever it was called will make us drive the hour plus again. It was out of this world!!Special Features:
- Like Walking into HistoryBobbyDined on 8/15/2014The Publick House is quaint and wandering. Built over many years going back to colonial times, it smells of the 18th century. The people are wonderful, from the wait staff to management. The meeting rooms and event rooms are wonderful. Especially the Library which would be great for a party of 10-12 people. The resturaunt is open space with lots of windows. Food was delicious from appetizer to dessert. I will return!Special Features:
- PoorNotsogoodanymoreDined on 8/10/2014Poor food and service. Food cold and service very slow and waited for ever to get our check.Special Features:
- Canned or Old?suzTVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had the lobster Mac & Cheese. The lobster did not taste fresh, it had that "tin"taste to it. We sat at the bar and the bartender seemed more interested in serving the only other couple at the bar (we had to ask for menus, ask for rolls, ask for side plates). The building and grounds are fantastic, which is the only reason I will give this place another try some time. The hostess was very friendly and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We have been dining at Public House over the past several months and have NEVER been disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner at Publick HouseDickDined on 7/27/2014Friends have been telling us for years that we should try dining at the Publick House in Sturbridge, MA, so we finally did last Sunday evening. It was terrific - - - met all our expectations. Four of us dined together, and all 4 meals were excellent. Emily was our server, and she did an excellent job, too. The caesar salads were as good as they get, the main entrees were properly prepared and served hot, and the desserts were yummy. The atmosphere was just right, too - just what you'd expect of a 1771 dining room. It was a wonderful evening, and we'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodLovethebeachDined on 7/26/2014The Bread basket is a great start to the meal. Our entree's were served hot and tasted great. Our server was wonderful and even brought us substitute side dishes when she saw we did not touch the ones that came with the meal.Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was excellent. Historic atmosphere. Very good service. We enjoyed.Special Features:
- Always a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Food is not meant to be fancy. Tastes great. Duck and turkey are always fabulous choices. Great home cooked food in a quaint setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.