277 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01566Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publickhouse.com/
- Phone: (508) 347-7323
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:30am - 10:30am, Sunday: 8:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Heenan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Something Old...Something New... For the wedding of your dreams, whether it be indoors or out at our 3 season tent venue, come to the Publick House Historic Inn of Sturbridge, MA. the ultimate venue for your memorable New England wedding. Our wedding consultants work with you to ensure your vision becomes reality. They will help you with every detail from planning the bridal shower, booking rooms for your guests, arranging your bridal suite, hosting the rehearsal dinner, the wedding ceremony and the wedding reception. The ambiance, the romance, the memories await you at the Publick House. Since 1771 the Publick House has been the site of countless successful meetings, functions and some revolutionary good times. Today, the tradition continues. We offer a unique mix of location, charm and hospitality. From sales meetings to corporate retreats to showers and birthday parties,we offer you a choice of 11 distinctive banquet rooms with colonial charm.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Skowron 5083477323x28
A word from Publick House
We welcome you to the Publick House Historic Inn where delicious homemade food and comfortable lodging becomes your home away from home. When you come to the Publick House to feast on our generous meals and enjoy the comfort of our Yankee hospitality, you'll be warmed by the same magnificent open hearths that warmed our early American ancestors. Whether you're looking for a restaurant that offers family dining, need comfortable accommodations, or you're in need of a convenient meeting place, planning a bridal shower or want the perfect venue for your dream wedding...the Publick House Historic Inn welcomes you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Publick House - Best Restaurants in Sturbridge ›
Publick House reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (42)great for lunch (26)neighborhood gem (24)good for groups (23)fit for foodies (18)romantic (17)scenic view (13)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Elegant home-cooked mealsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/23/2014Old inn, classic American dishes - perfect place for a pre-Thanksgiving get together. Ambiance cannot be surpassed. Duck was excellent. Chicken pot pie was large and great. Yankee pot roast was good, ask for extra gravy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and comfortable atmosphere, good foodLauraDined on 11/22/2014My 10 year old son and I went to Sturbridge Village for the day and I chose to have dinner at this this restaurant for its convenience to the museum and for the historical atmosphere. We shared a crab cake appetizer and both enjoyed our meals (he had scrod and I had pot roast). The helpings were generous and delicious. The restaurant was very busy but our server was attentive and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/16/2014A roaring fire in the huge fireplace on a cold night, delicious food and wonderful service. We always enjoy dinner here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu choiceSusieGDined on 11/8/2014We have a wonderful evening. The food was fantastic. It was a half way meeting place to chat with old friends. There was however, a group of children sitting right next to us that were very loud and it was hard to talk at times. It was not the fault of the Publick House. I fault the parents for not keeping their children in line. This is not a place to take children if not well behaved. People are trying to spend a nice evening and do not want kids running around the tables. Our meal however was wonderful and we enjoyed the company. The service was very very good. I give this 5 stars...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Traditional ChoicesnstarlightDined on 11/7/2014There is no doubt that this is a very historic site, and probably the "hot spot" in Sturbridge, given the number of wedding receptions/corporate dinners/etc. that were taking place on a Friday evening. But the food is not only very traditional, but the preparation is just so-so. A caesar salad was drenched in bottled dressing, and had so much cheese on it as well that you could barely extract the lettuce. They were out of French onion soup (how is that possible on a Friday at 530 p.m.?), so it was necessary to go for the overly thickened clam chowder. About all anyone got excited about was the bread basket, which did contain a couple of other options besides routine and tasteless white rolls.
- MandoLynnDined on 11/4/2014This was our first time here, and we were very satisfied! With our drinks, we were given a variety of bread; pecan rolls, cornbread, & dinner rolls. The pecan rolls were incredible! Then we ordered an appetizer: Chicken Vol Au Vent - It was a really good mini chicken pot pie, haha! I had the “Publick House” Lobster Pie, it was wonderful. They were very generous with the lobster meat, I had full claw chunks of meat and what seemed to be a whole lobster's amount in the dish. The mashed potatoes were very creamy. The butternut squash was good and had a hint of sweet spices. My date ordered the New England Roasted Duck. The duck was scrumptious (a lot of meat), but the stuffing won it for me. It was amazing. We were too stuffed for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fantastic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/4/2014We were seated on arrival and ordered our favorite meals. I ordered the turkey dinner and my wife ordered the salmon. She requested it to be grilled rather than pan seared and she was very pleased with her meal as was I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local flavorGood2eatDined on 11/4/2014Perfect meeting place, family driving from east, west and south to meet for lunch. Wanted the ambience, flexibility and New England flavor and had it all. With age range from 3 to 83 needed variety and got it: from grilled cheese to classic lobster pie & shepherd's pie to salads, food was delicious, very generous portions. Dining room was comfortable for sitting for a few hours, catching up after not seeing each other, in some cases for years. Staff was efficient and friendly. I chose P.H. because I no longer live in New England so it was a treat for me to choose from typical N.E. & seasonal dishes. Bonus was taking home treats from the bakery. Chocolate truffle cookies, fig bars, pumpkin muffins- yum ;)Special Features:
- Always Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/2/2014Publick House always delivers great food and service. Get your comfort food fix!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014My party of 4 had 7:30 dinner reservations. We were promptly seated, but were repeatedly approached by our waitress to hurry and make our dinner choices, then dessert choices. We were definitely rushed.Special Features:
- Fabulous Food!Luv2dineDined on 10/30/2014The food was excellent and the service was perfect!Special Features:
- Enjoy eating in the tavern-47ersDined on 10/29/2014Looking forward to our next visit. The next visit may be when the fireplace is going and it makes the room so cozy and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An old favorite!MuttsDined on 10/26/2014We were seated within 5 minutes of our reserved time. The restaurant was very full and busy but our waitress acknowledged us quickly, brought the heaping basket of hot rolls and soon took our orders. The turkey dinner is one of our favorites and it was as delicious as always. The salmon was also very tasty. The Publick House is always reliable and the perfect place for good New England fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable dining experienceBostonambassadorDined on 10/25/2014We met another couple for dinner. Once we were able to find our way to the correct dining room, the food, service and atmosphere was very good. Staff was very helpful with directions around this large restaurant. I'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetodineVIPDined on 10/22/2014As usual, our experience was good. Food is always excellent and staff is always friendly and on the ball. It is just a little nois-ey for my husband during busy times, as he is hard of hearing and background noise is always a problem for him. Food is like home cooking. We love going to the PUblick House.Special Features:
- Historic area is niceMelodyWDined on 10/18/2014Lets begin with the good stuff, the hostess was friendly with a nice seating area when our reservation at 6 PM was not ready until 6:30. The setting was historical and nicely restored. After we were seated, it took almost 15 minutes for a wait person to ask us for drinks. Note, we did try to purchase drinks at the bar area earlier (as we waited) but too many people for the staff to even see us. I was underwhelmed with the lack of over all service from the wait staff. The wait person was gruff and slammed the drinks and food onto the table. We almost thought, maybe she is trying to act like someone back in time .. not. The fish was good, the sides were well seasoned and once we received the drinks, they were fine. I would not go back.
- JackinSeymourDined on 10/18/2014excellent food and excellent service from our server, AprilSpecial Features:
- Great lunchMC35Dined on 10/18/2014There were 6 of us and we had lunch. The variety on the menu was great. We enjoyed all the different breads that were provided before our meals. we had excellent service and the atmosphere was historic and comfortable. We were seated at exactly our reservation time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal.kathyDined on 10/16/2014Food was excellent as was the service. Price was very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Charm & Wonderful FoodOldeWorldGirlDined on 10/14/2014My family and I loved the Inn and its tasty, traditional fare. It's steeped in Olde Colonial ambience, and the dining room is plain but pleasant. A basket of fresh sweet breads was brought as we perused the menu, and our server was cheerful and attentive throughout our meal. The four entrees we ordered (baked cod, lobster pie, a standard turkey dinner, and a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings) were simply but beautifully plated, and the portions were ENORMOUS -- you will NOT go hungry! The desserts were equally huge (we split two) and the Apple Pie and Indian Pudding were both fragrant, hot, and delicious. A great place to create happy memories; we can gladly recommend The Publick House and will return again and again.Special Features:
- Historic gem.LongtimeFanDined on 10/13/2014After many years of visiting Publick House, the historic ambiance was not a great as in the past. The service was not as polished as I recall from past visits. Maybe just an off day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WILL NOT RETURNcfromriDined on 10/12/2014While a busy week-end and weddings on site, and athough I had reservations, the desk staff seemed as though it was their 1st time at this. So we did wait 20 minutes. That service was duplicated in the dining room, where, Charles, responded to the next table to several men that would call him over,while in conversation with us. He actually brough oil & vinegar and then removed salad forks! When he brought the entree, I asked for the salads. He brought the salads, removed the entrees and after we through, made comments on that these were new entrees, but they were not. The meal was tepid and we were very dissatisfied and will not be returning.
- karenDined on 10/12/2014We look forward to our annual trip to the Publick House in the fall. The turkey dinner was outstanding, as usual. Great service too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014I did not expect such a treat. I am glad I made a reservation.Special Features:
- Ok food & serviceUnimpressedDined on 10/12/2014"OK" is about the extent of it. Chicken pot pie was unremarkable and a bit runny. Ravioli was nice, but would have benefited from a heavier hand on spices. Service was very friendly and hospitable, but a number of requests were forgotten until a a reminder was proffered.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerrogerspaDined on 10/10/2014Picked this place because it had everything my girlfriend likes to eat. Definitely make a reservation as Fri night dinner can get busy. Loved the old style rustic look inside. Not sure if the place was THAT busy but it took a while for our waiter to greet us to the point where we knew what we wanted for drinks, apps, main course. Wanted to enjoy the evening so we were not in a rush so it wasn't a big deal. Once we got our bread... loved the variety. The cesar salad, lobster mac&cheese and crab cake was excellent (could have used a bit more lobster in the m&c. The turkey dinner my girlfriend had was perfect. I got the prim rib which was a bit overcooked and dry and no au jus but did come with horseradish sauce. Overall good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014We have been here many times and never had a bad experienceSpecial Features:
- Good Ol' Publick HouseGittithDined on 10/4/2014If you are in the neighborhood, this is a must try. I've been coming here for ages, more for the nostalgia than the food. Portions are generous. More home cooked than foodie experience. Waitstaff are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit of historyDingerVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is set in an old farmhouse and is a huge place. Food is amazing, though my steak was over cooked asking for medium and receiving well done. Best fish and chips we have had in a long time. They also have a bakery you will want to visit down stairs. Our server was pretty much right there but not annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointedUnclePhineas47Dined on 9/23/2014We love the authentic tastes of New England at this restaurant. Every restaranteur who offers "Yankee Pot Roast" needs to take lessons from this chef. We have never had better, including from my 19th century Mayflower descended mother-in-law! Thanksgiving everyday is also a treat we find hard to resist, but this time my wife had the Butternut squash ravioli. (Who said New Englanders were stubbornly stuck in their ways?) She loved it and the generous portions that gave us a second day meal. You can't go wrong at Publick House.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfied as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/22/2014As always, we really enjoyed our meal. I had the turkey dinner, my favorite, and my wife enjoyed her grilled salmon.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerfoodforthoughtDined on 9/17/2014Publick house did give us a good table as we requested for a birthday celebration and also a slice of cake with candle as a surprise. The food was very good but predictable. Its nice to be able to order an old favorite but the menu could use some new items. Our server was adequate but not very personable. Tip would have been better if he had maybe smiled or been slightly more engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoanVIPDined on 9/13/2014As always, delicious food and plenty of it! A friendly, efficient waitress. It's always special to visit the Publick House, and not bad to stop at the wonderful bake shop before leaving!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014The food and service were excellent as always. I enjoyed the steak and my wife enjoyed the turkey dinner feast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- historicinthebizDined on 9/5/2014Onion soup came luke warm. The rest of the food was fairly good fare. Standard. Service another story. For the love of Pete you are in the hospitality business. Show interest. Eye contact. Truely smile.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 9/4/2014Being a tourist in the area, I think it would be a special occasion dining place. I have been three times before in the last 25 years and it is still one of my favorite places in the area. I am sure, when I come again in the next few years, I shall dine there again.Special Features:
- We Love this placeUnclePhineas47Dined on 9/3/2014Nearly fifty years ago we stayed at the inn for part of our honeymoon and dined at the the restaurant. We loved it then and we continue to enjoy the authentic historic surroundings and the wonderful New England food whenever we are int he area. We have never had a bad meal or an off day for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2teachDined on 9/1/2014Excellent service, good food, and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service was okayNjoygdfoodDined on 8/29/2014Have been to the Publick House many times in the last 50 or so years that I have been in the area. It is old New England at its finest. Great food and atmosphere. There was a huge wedding which probably contributed to the slow service. Waitress was pleasant but not very attentive. I will certainly go back mostly because of the history and food. We had the Lobster Pie and Duck both of which were amazing. The basket of rolls including their sticky buns were still good and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food at it's bestBodhisattvaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Thanksgiving dinner in August? Absolutely! Turkey dinner was really perfect-- complete with all the traditional sides you'd expect!l More than enough food-- especially if you indulge in the bread basket! Sticky pecan rolls anyone? YUM!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.