277 Main Street
Sturbridge, MA 01566Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publickhouse.com/
- Phone: 5083477323
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:30am - 10:30am, Sunday: 8:00am - 10:30am; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Heenan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Something Old...Something New... For the wedding of your dreams, whether it be indoors or out at our 3 season tent venue, come to the Publick House Historic Inn of Sturbridge, MA. the ultimate venue for your memorable New England wedding. Our wedding consultants work with you to ensure your vision becomes reality. They will help you with every detail from planning the bridal shower, booking rooms for your guests, arranging your bridal suite, hosting the rehearsal dinner, the wedding ceremony and the wedding reception. The ambiance, the romance, the memories await you at the Publick House. Since 1771 the Publick House has been the site of countless successful meetings, functions and some revolutionary good times. Today, the tradition continues. We offer a unique mix of location, charm and hospitality. From sales meetings to corporate retreats to showers and birthday parties,we offer you a choice of 11 distinctive banquet rooms with colonial charm.
- Private Party Contact: Laura Skowron 5083477323x28
A word from Publick House
We welcome you to the Publick House Historic Inn where delicious homemade food and comfortable lodging becomes your home away from home. When you come to the Publick House to feast on our generous meals and enjoy the comfort of our Yankee hospitality, you'll be warmed by the same magnificent open hearths that warmed our early American ancestors. Whether you're looking for a restaurant that offers family dining, need comfortable accommodations, or you're in need of a convenient meeting place, planning a bridal shower or want the perfect venue for your dream wedding...the Publick House Historic Inn welcomes you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Publick House - Best Restaurants in Sturbridge ›
Publick House reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (34)romantic (21)great for lunch (18)neighborhood gem (18)scenic view (15)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (6)great for outdoor dining (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- JoanVIPDined on 9/13/2014As always, delicious food and plenty of it! A friendly, efficient waitress. It's always special to visit the Publick House, and not bad to stop at the wonderful bake shop before leaving!Special Features:
- historicinthebizDined on 9/5/2014Onion soup came luke warm. The rest of the food was fairly good fare. Standard. Service another story. For the love of Pete you are in the hospitality business. Show interest. Eye contact. Truely smile.Special Features:
- CarolDined on 9/4/2014Being a tourist in the area, I think it would be a special occasion dining place. I have been three times before in the last 25 years and it is still one of my favorite places in the area. I am sure, when I come again in the next few years, I shall dine there again.Special Features:
- We Love this placeUnclePhineas47Dined on 9/3/2014Nearly fifty years ago we stayed at the inn for part of our honeymoon and dined at the the restaurant. We loved it then and we continue to enjoy the authentic historic surroundings and the wonderful New England food whenever we are int he area. We have never had a bad meal or an off day for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2teachDined on 9/1/2014Excellent service, good food, and warm atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service was okayNjoygdfoodDined on 8/29/2014Have been to the Publick House many times in the last 50 or so years that I have been in the area. It is old New England at its finest. Great food and atmosphere. There was a huge wedding which probably contributed to the slow service. Waitress was pleasant but not very attentive. I will certainly go back mostly because of the history and food. We had the Lobster Pie and Duck both of which were amazing. The basket of rolls including their sticky buns were still good and plentiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food at it's bestBodhisattvaVIPDined on 8/23/2014Thanksgiving dinner in August? Absolutely! Turkey dinner was really perfect-- complete with all the traditional sides you'd expect!l More than enough food-- especially if you indulge in the bread basket! Sticky pecan rolls anyone? YUM!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DiningSummerdining2014Dined on 8/19/2014We made our reservations on a Tuesday and Wednesday night. It is buy one get one free dinner coupon night so that made for a crazy and overwhelming time for waitress we think. Very, very busy. Food excellent. We find it a little more enjoyable in winter when it us quieter but a great place to go for dinner. We always recommend to our friends and family. Our grandson joined us both nights and our daughter the second.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treasureRedSoxMomDined on 8/19/2014I chose this restaurant for my mother's birthday. It is historic and elegant without being pretentious. The food is plentiful and delicious. I had requested a small cake for four and received a call on the day of the event from the Director of Food and Beverages to confirm and decide on flavor, etc. I really appreciated the call and also I had flowers delivered which were on the table when we arrived.Special Features:
- Classic New England FaregbsmittyDined on 8/18/2014Substantial and flavouful meals at decent prices reminiscent of the meals from the pasts of those of us who are a bit older. Pot pie, Shepards pie, Yankee pot roast and such. We felt fortunate this resturant was not closer to us or we'd both weigh 500 lbs. Recommended for those evenings you want to eat something like mom/grandma would have made (if you had lived in the northeast).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Shirley was our server and was very attentive to our needs. Our meals were delicious as always and that is why we return as often as we do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitkfmeehanDined on 8/17/2014On a Sunday night after a disappointing Red Sox loss, the visit to the Public House quickly changed our mood. The reception was courteous and engaging, the hostess most pleasant, and the decor just what we wanted. The lobster mac & cheese and the turkey dinner were outstanding. The timing of the service was perfect and added to a most pleasant dining experience. We have been there twice now, once for lunch & once for dinner and plan on going again!Special Features:
- Only Fair this TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2014We had a waiter (Jim) who did not know what he was doing. Order a bottle of wine and he brought glasses, when he brought the bottle did not let anyone sample it just pour it. The meal was nothing to brag about by any of us. We all decided should have gotten the turkey.
- It was okFred52Dined on 8/16/2014Only ok, not a real memorable dining experience. Nothing wrong, just a place past its prime. Food was very reasonably priced, some entrees as low as $16.
- Beki112Dined on 8/15/2014Our waitress Ann was fantastic!!!!! The food was great!!! The Chicken Vol au Vent or whatever it was called will make us drive the hour plus again. It was out of this world!!Special Features:
- Like Walking into HistoryBobbyDined on 8/15/2014The Publick House is quaint and wandering. Built over many years going back to colonial times, it smells of the 18th century. The people are wonderful, from the wait staff to management. The meeting rooms and event rooms are wonderful. Especially the Library which would be great for a party of 10-12 people. The resturaunt is open space with lots of windows. Food was delicious from appetizer to dessert. I will return!Special Features:
- PoorNotsogoodanymoreDined on 8/10/2014Poor food and service. Food cold and service very slow and waited for ever to get our check.Special Features:
- Canned or Old?suzTVIPDined on 8/2/2014We had the lobster Mac & Cheese. The lobster did not taste fresh, it had that "tin"taste to it. We sat at the bar and the bartender seemed more interested in serving the only other couple at the bar (we had to ask for menus, ask for rolls, ask for side plates). The building and grounds are fantastic, which is the only reason I will give this place another try some time. The hostess was very friendly and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014We have been dining at Public House over the past several months and have NEVER been disappointed.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dinner at Publick HouseDickDined on 7/27/2014Friends have been telling us for years that we should try dining at the Publick House in Sturbridge, MA, so we finally did last Sunday evening. It was terrific - - - met all our expectations. Four of us dined together, and all 4 meals were excellent. Emily was our server, and she did an excellent job, too. The caesar salads were as good as they get, the main entrees were properly prepared and served hot, and the desserts were yummy. The atmosphere was just right, too - just what you'd expect of a 1771 dining room. It was a wonderful evening, and we'll definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodLovethebeachDined on 7/26/2014The Bread basket is a great start to the meal. Our entree's were served hot and tasted great. Our server was wonderful and even brought us substitute side dishes when she saw we did not touch the ones that came with the meal.Special Features:
- MarkVIPDined on 7/22/2014Food was excellent. Historic atmosphere. Very good service. We enjoyed.Special Features:
- Always a good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014Food is not meant to be fancy. Tastes great. Duck and turkey are always fabulous choices. Great home cooked food in a quaint setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Public House still a favoritectsm1951Dined on 7/20/2014Another great stay at the Public House Inn. A wonderful evening meal to celebrate our anniversary made even more special by the attentive care of the staff. The meal was perfect with choices not often found in other restaurants. Still my favorite place to order roast duckling. As usual the portions were plentiful and with the 10% discount offered to guests of the Inn, our cost for a special dinner was very reasonable.Special Features:
- Great experience!Foodie28Dined on 7/18/2014Loved the Publick House. I had the turkey dinner which was fantastic! My husband had the filet mignon which was fork-tender and he enjoyed it immensely. We stopped in their little bakery on the way out to pick up something to take back to the hotel room. We ate in the tavern.Special Features:
- Historic InnlovetodineVIPDined on 7/16/2014The Publick House Inn is very historic. We like the ambience. The staff is always the best! Food is like home cooking. Servers are very attentive. We never feel rushed when we dine here. It is a nice place to take out-of-town guests.Special Features:
- Something to do in Sturbridge...AugustfoodiesDined on 7/14/2014I must admit, after visiting Sturbridge Village during the day there's not much to do at night. Good thing because dining at the Publick House could take some time. While the food is delicious, the service staff a bit confused...it can take over two hours for dinner. Even in a half empty dining room. The turkey dinner is tasty as is the Yankee Pot roast. The Blueberry cream pie is to die for!
- Rustic charm and good foodGFMikeVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Publick House is an old favorite and a great meeting place for people getting together between Boston and Hartford. Built in 1771, it has been in continuous operation in one form or another since then and has served George Washington, Ben Franklin as well as modern celebrities. The food is typical "comfort" food (Yankee Food). Lobster Mac n' Cheese, Turkey dinners, Pot Roast, Shepherd's Pie and Prime Rib are among the favorites. There is also a full GF menu as well. The quality of the food is quite good and the service is also very good. If you are ever in Sturbridge this is a place you should try at least once.Special Features:
- Totally yummy!SouthJerseyDinerDined on 7/12/2014My sister and I had dinner at Publick House. We both agreed, that was the best meal we've eaten out, in a long time. I only wish I lived closer; I'd be a regular customer. We had dinner in the tavern. Great atmosphere; a typical old New England tavern.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional FareFoodieDined on 7/12/2014The Publick House is always a nice place to stop on the way home from Maine, New Hampshire or the Boston area. It always has very traditional offerings like Fish and Chips, Prime Rib and the Turkey Dinner Feast. It is always good and plentiful and the prices are reasonable. If you are a foodie or looking for something out of the ordinary then this is not the place for you.Special Features:
- FoodgirlDined on 7/12/2014The setting is quientessensial New England and has an old tavern feel. For that reason, it's worth experiencing. The food was OK, not outstanding. The wait staff was underwhelming.I would recommend this to a friend.
- misleading menudenny41Dined on 7/12/2014We met a couple for lunch - friends we made on a recent cruise and were looking forward to catching up with. We ordered sandwiches for lunch and took note of the message at the top of the menu that stated soup or salad and dessert for $8.oo addition. After our sandwiches and soup, I enquired about the dessert. The waitress said that did not apply because we did not specify ahead of time that we would choose to have dessert. WHAT? This is not clear.
- Historical property & comfort foodTerryDined on 7/11/2014Charming server and interesting historic setting. Great roll basket. Food is just average, but comfort food choices are a nice option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerLagammDined on 7/8/2014When I made the reservation, I had requested a nice table since it was a birthday dinner and the first time dining here for someone from out of state. We ended up at a table in the middle of the dining room between two tables with children at both of them (one was being loud and fussy while the parent did nothing to calm her and the other table was very well behaved). I specifically left my children with a sitter so I could have a nice quiet dinner out. (So much for that.) Our waitress (Rachel) was very pleasant and the food was great. The atmosphere is pure New England charm and I would recommend dining here for anyone who likes that type of setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014a delicious American meal at an historic inn. We ate in the Tap Room which was wonderful, very historic. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, not rushed and catered to our every need. Only criticism is that the tables were too close togeter and the hostess tended to seat guests in a clump.Special Features:
- Perfect Dining NightLove2DineDined on 7/5/2014The perfect night to spend with good friends who had never dined out at the Public House. Everything was just perfect, from our waitress to our meals to the ambience of the room. Our meals started with soup or the salad and ended with the blueberry pie for me, which was the best blueberry cream pie I had ever eaten and of course the pecan rolls are always a big hit! After our dining experience we enjoyed showing them some of the individual dining rooms that we had eaten in previously at Thanksgiving & Christmas. Thanks for a perfect dining experience with great friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All in all a wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014My wife asked to have her salmon grilled instead of pan fried. The chef was very accommodating and grilled the salmon to perfection. I enjoyed the roast turkey dinner immensely. The waitress staff, Chrissy and Shirley, were very friendly and attentive to our needs. All in all we had a wonderful experience and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great venue, food needs helpOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Both the food taste and presentation was extremely poor. Beautiful location is all it had in its favor.Special Features:
- Vacation Stop Overflini2Dined on 6/27/2014We have been stopping at the Public House, for dinner, on our way to Maine for many years. We have never been disappointed. The food and service are always outstanding. The following morning, we stop at Public House Bakery for breakfast — can't be beat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal...bit pricey.TKBKDined on 6/26/2014Waitress was OK...not very personable...seemed a bit bored. Beef not as ordered, but very tasty. Potatoes and butternut squash very good..and hot. Desserts disappointing. You're getting a nice meal at a historic inn, nothing more, nothing less.