Public Kitchen and Bar
120 Francis Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Public Kitchen and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publickitchenprovidence.com/
- Phone: 4019195050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room Hours:
Monday- Saturday: 7:00am -11:00am
Sunday ( Breakfast Buffet ) 7:00am-11:00am
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm.
Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Bar Area/ Lounge:
Serving Dinner Menu from 2pm-11pm Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Willis Stepp
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Hump Day Happy Hour Specials Every Wednesday (4-6pm & 9-11pm)
A word from Public Kitchen and Bar
Throughout the space of Public, a modernist sensibility is blended with a classic American, Newport mansion drawing room theme. It's design is inspired by the existing architecture of the Masonic Temple and it's Rhode Island Capital Statehouse neighbor. Public's masculine and warm setting will be a meeting place for hipsters and Senators alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Public Kitchen and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)special occasion (5)late-night find (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- What Happened?LollypopDined on 10/17/2014We ALWAYS dine at PK & B before attending a RI Philharmonic concert and often bring guests. Our experience this past Friday night (10/17) was a shock. Usually, the food is a delight. Not this time. Hopefully, next time will restore our trust.Special Features:
- Great timeScottK1222Dined on 10/11/2014Everything about our night was wonderful. The ambiance, service, timeliness and food were excellent. They have a tremendous wine list with various price ranges. Kristen was a great server, very personable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to tableOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014This is a corporate restaurant's effort to be farm to table. It's better than a burger menu.
- A Must Before the Showhland33Dined on 10/9/2014Located in the Renaissance hotel, Public Kitchen is the perfect place for a pre show dinner. the menu is varied, the food is always very well prepared, and the portions are ample without being "too much." The service is attentive, yet not pushy, and the vibe is just what you need before heading around the corner to the Vets for a show.Special Features:
- Great MenufoodfunDined on 10/3/2014We loved the eclectic mix on the menu and the tantalizing mix of ingredients. That being said, the food and the environment were not at all pretentious. It's nice to eat well without trying too hard. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findBazellDined on 9/27/2014Nice reasturant located in a hotel. A little off the beaten trail but well worth it. Food was good, beers were great, and ambiance was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy Thai - OH MY!CristyVIPDined on 9/22/2014A trip here just for their spicy Thai noodles is worth it. Chef blends coconut with other Thai flavors to create this wonderfully aromatic and complex dish. Delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent food but...dgbdinerDined on 9/20/2014Busy evening and kitchen couldn't keep up with demand, so long wait. However, food was excellent and I liked that it was cooked to order. Also, wait staff worked very hard and was very professional. I wonder if they were understaffed.Special Features:
- Providence surpriseMcgowankmVIPDined on 9/19/2014Great food and service. Inside Renaissance Hotel. Amazed at how slow it was considering how great it was. Locals I spoke with seemed to have no idea of the place and never heard of it.Special Features:
- Overall a good mealfirsttimerDined on 7/26/2014We had a few minor issues (dirty silverware, food undercooked) but these were dealt with in a timely manner and the staff was very attentive. It was a little surprising to see so many empty tables in the restaurant on a Saturday night.Special Features:
- Great steakmelandjosdinerDined on 6/28/2014My dinner was terrific, sirloin steak. My husband's fish and chips was just so-so.
- The following 43 reviews are from the Public Kitchen and Bar reviews archive.
- OpinionsOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/25/2014Had a wonderful dinner with friends. When the waiter was giving us the specials he was extremely opinionated. Made faces at the pasta selection called it boring, the meat selection was plain... Not a good way to start dinner. Overall we love public. That was just an area for improvementSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty But…Oceanstar9Dined on 5/24/2014The menu was disappointing as it was no where near as elaborate as what is currently on Open Table. No short ribs, no seared scallops, no half chicken, no tagliatelle n' braised beef. I ended up with fish and chips w/parmesan fries. It was perfectly cooked, but not very exciting; the paper liner on the dish would tear when you sliced the fish as it soaked up the oil… Dessert was small and tasty - more of a tasting. Again, very tasty but not new or exciting. We had grapefruit cheesecake and strawberry bread pudding (needed more whipped cream; would have asked but by the time the waiter came back we'd finished the dessert). Not to discredit him - the service was excellent and attentive.Special Features:
- To CarePelusa1990Dined on 5/24/2014I ordered the lamb burger, which I often do when it is available at a restaurant that i go to, I was there with my father, I had just graduated college this past May 24th, the burger tasted fine, not great but nothing wrong with it either except that I ordered it medium rare! and it was medium to medium well, my server never came to check on the temperature and obviously neither the cook or the expediter double checked, the restaurant lunch service was not busy at all maybe a total of 4 more tables besides mine, both Brown University and Johnson and Wales graduating that day its surprising that it was so slow, it was my first time here and now I understand why it was slow. because no one in the restaurant cares enough .. which is a shame!
- Management is failing the Kitchen!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/21/2014As our table ended up being in a private event space at the very rear of the restaurant, we walked through the well designed and attractive dinning room. Our table was in a sparse space that felt completed separated from the dining room; it took our server some time to arrive but he was pleasant but seemed overwhelmed. We had show tickets; but had allowed an hour and 45 mins and arrived early for our reservation. We quickly selected wine, appetizer, and entrée and informed our server about the show. It took 45 minutes for our roasted beet salads to arrive; and while we were finishing them another set of salads arrived but were sent back. Our entrees did not arrived until an hour and 45 mins after our arrival. Good food but POOR serviceSpecial Features:
- Avoid going before a show at VetsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/21/2014Took over an hour to get our food and it wasn't cooked.
- pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014great restaurant with nice ambience. try to get nook booth. food good and timely. would definitely go again. overall feels like a rich experience without being over the top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay, but over-pricedRevjudithDined on 5/9/2014My husband and I have been to Public Kitchen & Bar several times. The bar is convenient, as is the restaurant. Staff is congenial, but a bit perfunctory; our waiter at dinner lacked the professional 'edge' that is often found at $$$ locations (our waiter at breakfast was wonderful). The food at dinner was okay -- but seemed spare in its presentation and quantity for the price. Not sure I would return here...
- Good Food Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2014Good food. We ordered a few dishes to share. Food was tasty but portions were small. I would recommend asking to make the small plates as large plate options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great on a quiet night!soccerjudeDined on 4/29/2014We went early on a Tuesday, when the place had very few customers, and the server was very attentive and friendly. The food was really quite good - and we split a few of the small plates (tacos and lobster sliders) - which worked really well. The only disappointing thing about the menu was the complete lack of chocolate on the dessert menu; we opted for dessert elsewhere to satisfy our chocolate tooth. But the desserts did look great for non choco-philes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceBelizVIPDined on 4/25/2014We had a 6:30 reservation on a Friday night. There were still people in the bar for after work drinks. The bar was so noisy that even though we were seated at the far end of the dining room, it was still too loud to have a conversation without speaking loudly, which only added to the din. Our server was very energetic (maybe a little over the top) but attentive to our needs. The by the glass wine list was ok, but nothing special. The beer selections were predictable and uninspired. The chicken wings were very good. I had scallops, which were perfectly prepared. However, while the food was prepared well, it wasn't worth the $100 bill at the end. We will not be returning to this restaurant in future.Special Features:
- Spectacular dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/18/2014This was our third time dining here. With a new menu to sample we tried the cold slit pea soup with creme fraise baby kale and cauliflower steak for apps. Amazing combination of flavors. Dinner was salmon with sides that shined. Lobster sliders were light and fun. Spicy Thai noodles as good as any authentic restaurant would make. That it had all these great combination for the non meat eaters in our group made it so enjoyable. Also a great drink menu and some amazing bourbons and whiskeys. Definitely a great place to sign or end a night in the city.Special Features:
- You've got to be kidding!RyguyDined on 4/13/2014Just totally disappointing. The service was pathetic and our meals were so-so. I had really high hopes for this place but it wasn't anything special. Our waiter brought out plate after plate of cold unimpressive food that should have been served hot and our drink orders took anywhere between 25 & 30 minutes for 4 people!Special Features:
- Ate here a month ago and lovedPookieDined on 4/12/2014Ate here a month ago and loved it- this time much less so. The pork was excessively salty and tasted a little lackluster. My friend had the supersalad and the fig-prosciutto pizza which was OK but somehow even that tasted better last time.Special Features:
- Service work neededwolferDined on 4/12/2014The food here is very good but the service was severely lacking, even with the manager intervening, it did not help. Had to leave before dessert was served even though they were aware that we had a concert to go to. This was our second time here, our first visit was flawless.Special Features:
- What a surpriseAmyBVIPDined on 3/29/2014I have been to Public Kitchen on three previous occasions and have been happy each time, but on Saturday the staff and the food just knocked it out of the park. My party of 3 was not so happy with our table way in the back...but we have never had better service in a restaurant! The gnocchi and hummus for apps were perfect starters...the fresh pasta special literally had my friend saying it was better than a similar dish eaten at Alfornos for twice the price. The wine was delicious and the fact that the staff even sent over an extra wine for us to taste because it paired nicely with one of the dished-classy...and the candy bar dessert is a favorite (but serve it with a fork and not a spoon!!!). Truly a fabulous meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantHeatherDined on 3/25/2014The service was wonderful and the food was delicious. I would recommend the Spicy Thai Noodles!Special Features:
- Dinner in the cityAntoneliaDined on 3/22/2014The window seats with a view if the State House was beautiful. The appetizers were fabulous. The lounge area was fun and the bar area was comfortable. Valet parking made exploring a downtown restaurant delightful. Will definitely returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The picket line outside aside.....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014Generally, a good experience with above average food quality (except for the ho hum makeshift Caesar salad) yet the waiter could have been more astute on the delivery and more timely on the service. The bar seemed to cause delay for the restaurant wait staff. I've always wondered why the hostess desk has three attendants, all delightful, but there were three!!!Special Features:
- Beautiful Atmosphere but...Annie63Dined on 3/8/2014The food was a bit pricey but you are downtown Providence so this is to be expected. I do not recall any entree, except the burgers, being under $23.00. With that said, the food was excellent. Very different in pleasing combinations to both the eye and the palate. However, the service was slow. I heard this from other reviews and hoped it was just an off night. No, sorry. They do not seem to have enough help. We had to track down our waiter to pay and when we moved to the bar, we waited a long time to be served. Not sure what's going on. They did have a DJ after 9:30 PM but the crowd was subdued. Maybe because it is connected to a hotel? Not sure. I would go back for the food and atmosphere but I do hope they step up their service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try the PEI Mussels and CalmskaratequeenDined on 3/6/2014The flavor is phenomenal! So incredibly savory, it will spoil your tastebuds forever. The pan seared scallops were also unbelievable in flavor and cooked to perfection. A nice veggie pair to it was the extraordinary Brussels Sprouts. Only thing from me giving a 5 star was the fact that they were missing an ingredient thy o their signature drink, Russian Roan which normally tastes like a liquid jolly rancher candy, substituted with another liquor and it tasted off. They should have told me from the beginning when I ordered my drink. I usually stop by for that drink when im in town and was disappointed when it didn't taste the same. However albeit, food was exceptionally good for someone like me who has discriminating tastebuds.Special Features:
- Unique and excellentWellFedVIPDined on 3/6/2014I never expect much from hotel restaurants but this one was great. So what pricey but fantastic food. I had a fresh made burger that was one of my best in months. I also had the most unique and fantastic clam chowder. My only gripe was it was $9 for a cup ( which they claimed was a bowl) and I could not afford to pig out on it.Special Features:
- Overall great experience.jackofallDined on 3/1/2014Overall great experience. I thought the quality of the food was great, fresh and well prepared while not overly expensive. Decent wine selection and nice by the glass. Bar was very busy, nice tenders and wait staff. Although the service, very slow. I would recommend to others and hopefully be back some time soonSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/1/2014This restaurant is adjacent to a hotel but has a separate entrance. They offer valet parking but when we pulled up, we were told they were full due to "gridlock" and had to find our own parking. The dining room in downstairs and has a grand feel to it. The food was very good but the service was exceptionally slow and impersonal...until it was time to pay the bill, at which point it was clear they wanted us OUT. I mentioned the service issue to the hostess and she seemed indifferent to it all. We would consider returning. Maybe it was just a bad night for them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Pre-show at VetssivolamaeDined on 3/1/2014We weren't expecting much, although the menu was very tempting. It turned out to be beyond our expectations (once we passed the very noisy bar). The food was imaginative and delicious. There was something for everyone - big meals, small meals, hamburgers, etc. The service was attentive, despite the busy-ness of the bar, which we could not hear once we sat down. The ambiance was pleasant but not overbearing. Altogether a perfect start for a wonderful night.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/1/2014We went because we were going to a show at the Vets next door mainly for the convenience. We were pleasantly surprised with a great meal good service and a very attentive manager, Mike. Server could have been more attentive but it was clear she was very busy that night. Overall a great place with a creative menu. Everything we ordered was very good. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for 10 yr wedding anniversaryAndreaDined on 2/28/2014The service was fantastic. The food was awesome. We had he chef small plate board and everything on it was deilcious. My husband ate all the bbq wings and I ate the liver on a crostini. Out main courses we excellent. I had the Gnocchi which ended up being too filling. My husband had the short ribs and raved about it all night. We should had ordered the chef's desert board.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphereDaniacDined on 2/21/2014Great for multiple occasions (bar scene, lounge, or dine). Service was top shelf along with their signature cocktails, food was delicious, highly recommend the short rib. Place is very clean and has been freshened up with a much classier style than previously (Temple). Complimentary valet too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy barPuraVidaDined on 1/31/2014Two of us sat at the bar across from noisy and what appeared to be new bartenders. I think I saw the most amount of alcohol wasted as they continually spilt drinks, made the wrong ones, etc. I saw a server pick up drinks from the bar to serve to a table and actually put her finger in the drink to "fish" something out. No, she did not use a spoon or other utensil, nor did she ask for another drink to be made, but used her finger. The food was good and beautifully presented.
- The proscuitto and fig pizzaRamses119Dined on 1/24/2014The proscuitto and fig pizza was undeniably delicious. The truth, hipster chic without the I don't care attitude from the staff. Will frequent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.