Public House - New York
140 E 41st St
New York, NY 10017Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Public House - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.publichousenyc.com/
- Phone: 2126823710
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Masekela Jones
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available customized to your desires.
- Private Party Facilities: Public House provides private or semi-private space from 35 guests seated to 150 guests standing.
- Private Party Contact: Lynette Cesaro 2126823710
A word from Public House - New York
Do it in Public! Conveniently located in Midtown a block from Grand Central Station, Public House blends great food, fine spirits & good times. Public House boasts a sophisticated, yet unassuming crowd, spacious bar, private lounge & separate dining area featuring classic American cuisine in our relaxed atmosphere. Public House is the perfect place for a power lunch, a quiet dinner for two, or to socialize & unwind after work. For the sports fan, large HDTV plasma screens broadcast the big games. Private parties, large groups & special events are welcome, with private dining & event space available. Serving lunch, dinner & late-night menus. Catering services, take-out & delivery available upon request. Welcome to our house... Public House!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Public House - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Muy NewyorkinoGastonDined on 8/15/2014Platos especiales y desconocidos si no eres de EEUU. Excelente atención. Música fuerte. No es para una cena romántica, es para un momento más informal.Special Features:
- Great pub food; busy for Happy HourOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent - we got nachos, burger, chicken salad sandwich, and the turkey brie sandwich. It's a very popular post-work Happy Hour spot so even though we had a table in the dining area you're still in the mix of things so expect it to be loud and crowdedSpecial Features:
- TheoniaVIPDined on 8/5/2014favorite drink still the public house lemonade. Great spot for lunch and after-work drinks. Long bar, barservice can get slow during peak times.Special Features:
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/4/2014Public House was pretty good. The service was just a little odd. For whatever reason our waittress remembered everything else that my friends ordered but didn't get my order straight. I asked for chicken on top of one of my salads and there was no chicken so I had to ask for it again. My friend's also asked for a to-go box and the waittress brought theirs but not mine. Otherwise it was good, cheap and convenient.Special Features:
- 3rd timeAllanzeeman01Dined on 7/29/2014This is the 3rd time I've been there in the last 12 months. Each time it progressed negatively this time food was not good will not returnSpecial Features:
- Not so goodAnneDined on 7/10/2014Service was great. I ordered the roast beef sandwich special overcooked and dry (tasteless). The french fries used to be the best - not anymore. Table was sticky from previous customers. Very dissappointed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/24/2014Went the other day for lunch, kitchen was overwhelmed. It took 1hr for 2 salads to be served. Waitress was pleasant and apologetic, but you can't survive in NYC if you can't get people in and out in a hour in midtown.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Public House - New York reviews archive.
- Too LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014I went with friends who were out of town and no one could hear each other over the sounds of the bar and the music that was playing. This is not a restaurant but a night club. Food was ok, nothing special.Special Features:
- Bad nightNYCvisitorDined on 1/19/2014It seemed that the restaurant was understaffed the night we attended. We had a reservation, but they said sit where we could. They were crowded and no one came to serve us. We waited patiently for about 20 minutes, then just left. I can't say whether the food is any good, but was required to enter a star rating. I think this may have been an unusual situation.
- The food was delishgurlygurl1969Dined on 1/16/2014I've never had a bad food item here - the kitchen was a little backed up but it was the height of lunch hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank YouStick66VIPDined on 12/13/2013Hostess was very god at finding us a table, as our party had 2 more than expected. Food was good, and staff very friendly. Thanks! NAD
- quiet business lunchCJ61VIPDined on 12/6/2013Good lunch menu. Staff were friendly, attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. Convenient to Grand Central station. Would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service with a SmileHarryTDined on 10/7/2013Good food and even better service. Great location for a business lunch,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot if in the neighborhood.WmorVIPDined on 8/27/2013Good spot if in the neighborhood. Only problem we had was very slow service at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2013It is the "young professional" hot spot. Food is very good, and staff is great. Bar gets super packed for happy hour, so if you want to be able to have a conversation that you can hear one another.... I recommend getting a table for drinks/apps. Chicken strips and spin dip is GREATSpecial Features:
- Eh..SweetMVIPDined on 7/17/2013My experience at public house was not the best overall.. The hummus was great but the rest of our food left a little to be desired. It was too noisey and there were several groups of parties that were happening all around us. It seems that they tend to overbook. The waitress was a little too "over attentive". Good random drink spot, but wouldn't recommend for other events.Special Features:
- Loud and livelyVivSueVIPDined on 7/16/2013I usually come for lunch since I work down the block. But dinnertime was great! it was loud and lively, not great for a romantic date (which I happen to be on). I think the menu is the same...plenty to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited overcharged meLeiLei644Dined on 5/16/2013I had a pretty good experience here up until the end. I ordered a house drink (which was supposed to be $6 on a Thursday night) and was charged full price for it. When I asked the waiter about it, he told me that only "well drinks" were suitable for happy hour. I was doubtful so after he left I double-checked the happy hour specials on the bar's website and the Thursday special said "$6 HOUR DRINKS. So either the waiter lied, or he didn't know what he was doing. My friend had to catch a train so unfortunately I didn't have time to show question him further. Even though I had fun here, I'm not sure I could go back.Special Features:
- I've been here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/19/2013I've been here several times and I love it, but this was my most disappointing. Not sure how they don't have menu items on a Friday night at 6 PM. Nevertheless, food was good and very reasonable for NYC.Special Features:
- Very disappointing. Poor service,OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/17/2013Very disappointing. Poor service, overpriced, underpoured drink. Ordered appetizer that didn't remotely resemble the menu descrption.
- very noisy but food was good.bzbodyVIPDined on 3/27/2013very noisy but food was good. not a place to go if you want to chat and hear the other people in your party.
- Good lunch spot, not too crowded,TheKTDined on 3/20/2013Good lunch spot, not too crowded, pretty solid menu. Would go backSpecial Features:
- Awesome PlacegreatDined on 2/14/2013I come here on a regular basis - at least 3 times a week for dinner and drinks. I put together a Valentine's Dinner with just the girls and Public House was very accommodating to us. See you tonight!Special Features:
- I like this place alot. It'sClemenzaVIPDined on 2/5/2013I like this place alot. It's nice my office, so very convenient and both the food and service is almost always very good. However, the last three times I've been, in the last 4 weeks, you'd think they were storing meat in the sitting area rather than in the refrigerator. Please turn up the heat, it chased me out sooner than I wanted to leave, which was one cappucino sooner!Special Features:
- Noisy. Food was inconsistent.SkipperVIPDined on 1/9/2013Noisy. Food was inconsistent. Appies were great. Dinners were fair.Special Features:
- Way too noisy if you wantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/5/2012Way too noisy if you want to have a meaningful conversation.
- At least I tried itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2012Had to find a casual, low key place to make a reservation for lunch in midtown east and just chose to eat here. I didn't expect much at all and wasn't surprised in the least. It was pretty empty for lunch but service was really slow with entrees and my salmon was severely overlooked. It's fine for happy hour if you like that scene but won't be returning for a meal.Special Features:
- great group placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012We had a table of 9 and the server was very accommodating and attentive. It did get a bit too loud but that was the overall ambience. We would definitelt go back.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere. Used GrouponFoodfinaticDined on 9/24/2012Nice atmosphere. Used Groupon towards apps and we were allowed to have drinks at happy hour prices.Special Features:
- We were very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2012We were very disappointed in the ambiance of the restaurant. We were were not told that it is mostly a bar scene. The noise was deafening and the waitress was so unfriendly and disinterested that we had to use our own plastic forks and spoons for our cake dessert. We were unable to hear each other talk. It was a horrible experience.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANTOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2012It has been a real pleasure eating at Public House... They are very keen on assisting clients. Staff is extremely polite and competent. I will surely recomend it to someone else.Special Features:
- A loud obnoxious bar, leaveOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/5/2012A loud obnoxious bar, leave it for the twenty somethings that want to spend the night grinding up against each other, because the music is so loud they can't actually hear each other.
- Very pleasant surprise. HaveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2012Very pleasant surprise. Have walked by several times but looks so dark from the outside never thought of going in. Decided to try it on a whim. Service was great. Food was served very quickly which left lots of time for eating and talking. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- very comfortable with ampleOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/14/2012very comfortable with ample space between tables; bar area was also spacious. service was not very attentive, but met requirements. menu was limited but almost everything offered was what I liked :) i will returnSpecial Features:
- Good modern bar food for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/27/2012Good modern bar food for lunch. Would come back again. Good choice for the area, and good value.Special Features:
- Public House is in MidtownOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2012Public House is in Midtown East and has a fantastic bar scene. Also, the Filet Mignon Sliders were an excellent choice!Special Features:
- Food and service were quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Food and service were quite good. I went there with a co-worker in order to dodge the crowds on Valentine's Day at the places where you might want to take a date. It suited the purpose -- a large noisy bar with quite good food.Special Features:
- Rude bouncerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/10/2012Rude bouncer at the door. He lost a lot of revenue for Public House the evening I was there. They should look into training their people at the front to differentiate between diners and bar crowd. T would never recommend this place to anyone.
- The cocktails were not good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2012The cocktails were not good. I had a hard time finishing a white wine sangria. The whisky honey ginger was promptly sent back even though it was a recommendation of our server. The appetizers are small, don't plan to share, they are individual servings.Special Features:
- Bottomless Wine Dinner = Good ValueClemenzaVIPDined on 1/24/2012While the noise level can get disconcertingly loud, dining for two, and being able to hear each other's conversation, is very doable and enjoyable. The Bottomless wine dinners are especially a good value as the food is always good and the wine, while not top drawer is very drinkable.Special Features: