Public House - National Harbor
199 Fleet Street
Oxon Hill, MD 20745Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Public House - National Harbor
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.publichousenationalharbor.com/
- Phone: (240) 493-6120
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday: 8:00am - 2:00am
Friday: 8:00am - 3:00am
Saturday: 8:00am - 3:00am
Sunday 8:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ron Amend
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Public House National Harbor offers a separate catering menu and open bar packages. Contact Lisa Cascone at email@example.com or 240.493.6120 for happy hour and private event inquiries!
- Entertainment: Happy Hour Monday-Friday, 3pm-7pm
Karaoke on Tuesdays from 9pm-2am
Wine Down Wednesdays with 1/2 priced bottles of select wines and Surf & Turf special
DJ Friday and Saturday 10pm-Close
A word from Public House - National Harbor
Since opening its first restaurant in April of 2005, the Public House continues to strive to be a leader in the bar and restaurant industry. Public House currently encompasses restaurants in Philadelphia, New York, and National Harbor, MD. Public House's mission is to provide a consistent and quality product, while at the same time, a sophisticated and fun atmosphere to our guests. We are your neighborhood restaurant and bar with a nightlife scene. We believe that our guests should feel at home when they join us. We strive to provide an experience second to none in the hopes that they will find their way back home again. Whether it is lunch, happy hour, dinner or a late night party that you seek, Public House is a venue that can meet your needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Public House - National Harbor - Best Restaurants in National Harbor ›
Public House - National Harbor reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (20)vibrant bar scene (18)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (14)late-night find (12)hot spot (10)great for brunch (10)fit for foodies (8)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (6)romantic (4)scenic view (3)notable wine list (3)Show More
- nice but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Nice place , seated quickly in a tight booth. I asked for a slice of cake through the open table reservation for my girlfriends birthday, but no one followed up on that. But otherwise was a good spot for my first timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best at National HarborjpzakDined on 11/8/2014This was not the first time we've been to Public House and it won't be our last. We love this place! The service is wonderful, the food is scrumptious, and (thanks to Open Table), the seating we requested was reserved for us. What a evening we had! We ordered the Philly Cheesesteak Roll for an appetizer---out of this world! I ordered the shrimp and grits---insanely delicious---and my husband ordered the Public House Burger and fries---grilled to perfection. The prices are fairly reasonable for most items although we found the plated items (like the shrimp and grits) to be a little pricey. However, the quality of this particular selection was well worth the splurge! We can't wait to go back to the Public House again!Special Features:
- Nice southern foodLarryDined on 11/6/2014This restaurant had good food the shrimp and grits were very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty brunchmiraluzDined on 10/18/2014Went here for brunch on a Saturday with a friend. We sat outside in October; it was a great fall day and the server was very attentive. I love brunch so I can be pretty picky. The over-easy eggs were cooked perfectly; the bacon was crispy; and the breakfast potatoes were divine - crispy on the outside, soft inside. The only downside was the toast was cold - but it was a cool day and we were outside. Very good.Special Features:
- Ehh I was not impressedm22302Dined on 9/28/2014Our order came out wrong the wait staff seemed to rush us during brunch even though the place was empty. I would not go back for a sit-down experience. This is more of a bar/bar food place.
- Horrible serviceMereDined on 9/14/2014Went here for brunch on Sunday, the food was very good but the service was HORRIBLE. It took forever for our server to even greet us, took forever for us to order, after we did order the food took forever to come. Luckily we weren't in a huge rush, but it was still really irritating. He wasn't apologetic or anything, he acted like he was doing us a favor by bringing us our food and drinks. I enjoyed my meal but would probably not go back due to the crappy and inexcusably slow service.Special Features:
- diningguysDined on 9/11/2014Convenient location. Staff was wonderful and friendly. Very casual atmosphere. Would return, again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehgmustargazerDined on 9/9/2014It wouldn't be my first choice next time I'm in National Harbor, but it wouldn't be my last either. Happy hour is probably your best bet here - the drinks were strong and half price at the bar, plus half-price appetizers. We ordered the cheese dip - bland, the chorizo wraps - greasy, and a steak - salty. Our waitress was nice enough, but there was something off about her. Maybe she was distracted that day. Overall - it's nothing to write home about, but it will do for a quick bite before a Cirque show.Special Features:
- Good experiencePricelessDined on 9/6/2014The food was good and the service was fair. The service could have been better. But overall the ambiance was really niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do NOT Waste Your Time HereLLV2VIPDined on 9/6/2014Arrived as a party of three just after noon. Placed lunch order at 12:05 p. Tepid coffee arrives and has to be sent back. At 12:30 p. we asked how things were coming with our lunch (3 burgers). We were told that it was "up next". At 12:45 p. we asked for our check for the coffee and tea and said we were leaving. The server said, there was a party of 15 in front of us...really? The restaurant was NOT full and patrons who arrived after us had SOME food on their table when we walked out. Choose another choice!
- Good American FoodMikeBDined on 9/4/2014We dined at Public House after eating breakfast there in the morning. Nice pub atmosphere, and outdoor seating was nice on a pleasant September evening. My wife had the meat loaf special, and the portion was huge. It was very tasty as were the sides. I had the shrimp and grits, one of my favorites, and it was delicious. Just the right amount of spice, and very comforting. My only regret was there were only 4 shrimp, although they were a good size. Prices were a little higher than you'd expect - a function of the area I believe.Special Features:
- Delicious food. But not a "BRUNCH"OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014EXCELLENT food, beautiful outdoor seating, nice cool indoor A/C. Very friendly staff, Manager came out to check on service, very nice. I ordered Huevos Rancheros, it was scrumptious!. We had 4 different orders, and EVERYONE was happy. Portions are genereous & high quality food. Only Suggestions: Since they advertise a "Brunch", I was expecting a more traditional Brunch (we were thinking more of a mix & match options for breakfast). But only 7 items set items in their menu, but $5.00 cup of coffee, is a bit overpriced. I know a la carte ordering is available, but this is not very clear on the menu. The printed and Website menu could use some clarity. But excellent service and food will bring me back !Special Features:
- Are you hungry?usuallywontpostVIPDined on 8/30/2014It's a tourist place with tourist food. If you're hungry, it will do.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodEddiDined on 8/30/2014Went to the Public House after seeing the Circus De Solie. Even with the restaurant extremely busy are server was very attentive and all food ordered was out quickly. We ordered the Mix Grill for Two and it was excellent perfectly cooked and tasty. Would recommend for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing First VisitTB7698VIPDined on 8/30/2014The restaurant itself was nice. It was crowded since it was Saturday night. We had a 6:15 reservation and weren't able to get out of there until 8:30. The server was very nice and manager apologetic. Drink service was slow, the steaks chewy, cooked uneven and had a fair amount of gristle, and my wife's salmon Caesar salad came out with shrimp the first time and was dropped on the floor the second time. I had ordered a coke and of the entire time there I only had one refill and both glasses had arrived only 2/3 full. It was 30 minutes for another martini and almost an hour for extra bread for the appetizer. They did do right by us by not charging us for the salad. I think they had new kitchen staff. I hope they can work it out.
- Good place to gatherCherryies2VIPDined on 8/30/2014With friends to watch games, great outdoor dining and lots of food options. Enjoyed the shrimp & grits!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre at bestPollardOBrainDined on 8/20/2014We had dinner at Public House before seeing a Cirque du Soleil show. Being Wednesday it was their "three taco" night. Of the three, only one actually tasted good and that was the pork taco. The chicken taco was bland and the beef was so tough we had to tear it using teeth and fingers. The service was very good and the Rum Punch was pretty good. Surprisingly our dinner cost almost $90! The quality does not deserve such a high price.
- Good, not greatDCDinerDined on 8/19/2014It was good, not great. Food was mediocre, very greasy, though we only tried wings, cheesesteak springroll, fries, and chicken sandwiches. Their house beer was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Public House-National Harbor's BestjpzakDined on 8/19/2014We've been to the Public House before using Open Table. Every time we're able to be seated at, what we consider, the best table in the house. The service is always excellent but this time we were served our main course right after our appetizer came out. We asked them to take it back, keep it warm, but not overdone which the waiter did. When the main course was served to us, it was excellent. I had the Shrimp Creole and Grits. My husband had the Public House Burger. We would order both again in a heartbeat. The burger was done to perfection and to the wellness which was requested. The only complaint we have is the noise level. It seemed more frenetic around the bar which is central to the restaurant. Despite that, we would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than pub foodAlexandriaLocalVIPDined on 8/18/2014Higher-end food than you'd expect to find in what appears to be a vibrant pub. Great outdoor seating, complete with fire pits!Special Features:
- MehMrsHendyDined on 8/17/2014We went here for brunch because they had a good looking menu for brunch, much better than other restaurants nearby. I'm glad we made a reservation because apparently they had a 25 minute wait. Service was okay - our server didn't check in very often which kept us waiting, and the food was just okay as well - the aioli that they put on the sandwich was gross - lacked flavor and wasn't much special, and the fries were lukewarm. After ordering, meal came out in about 5 min. I was annoyed that when I ordered decaf coffee it was a big deal, and then when she refilled it she put in regular. The place was okay - nothing special and really not worth the price. Probably won't be returning anytime, nor would I recommend it.Special Features:
- Slow, slow, slowBrittles0110VIPDined on 8/16/2014Slow service, slow kitchen. The menu was very basic without much variety to offer, so the 55+ minute wait for 2 burgers and 1 shrimp n grits, no exaggeration this was timed, was unacceptable. While our server was polite, he was also a little slow. He did come over about 15 minutes before our food was actually served and apologized, but it was still another 15 minutes of waiting. One plus, he did instinctively split our check - that was a nice touch. Restaurants on a Saturday night should expect to be hit pretty hard - our reservation was at 8:30pm. Not every table was full, there was a decent crowd. I did enjoy the music playlist. This place would probably be fun to watch a game at, only if the speed of service improved exponentially.Special Features:
- 4 shrimp for 24 bucksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014and where was the grits? The rest of my party orders sandwiches and salads which were fine and plentiful...and a lot cheaper. The shrimp were not very large and not even a half a cup of grits. Stick to the sandwiches and salads. Note the Portabella sandwich does not mention muchrooms in the ingredients (although the name of the sandwich should give it away). With the large choice of restaurants in National Harbor, I think we'll go elsewhere.
- FitzDined on 8/9/2014Extremely poor service. Waiter delivered the wrong entree twice. Waitress was rude and non responsive. My steak was mostly fat and very tough. Will not be coming back
- ClaudeClaudeDined on 8/8/2014We really enjoyed our meal at the Public House. The food and service were very good. Crab cakes were outstanding.Special Features:
- Fresh Crab!JenniferVIPDined on 8/3/2014We had the Crab and Corn Fritters - omg, so amazing. I even took an order home because they were THAT good. Also had the crabcakes - 80% crab to 20% filler (if not more crab!) - those were outstanding too! Drinks were creative but not my favorite. The service was wonderful, very friendly and personable. Our waiter even gave us some suggestions for walking around National Harbor after dinner. We would definitely eat there again!Special Features:
- Poor Service - Just so so foodLisa818Dined on 8/3/2014Waited over an hours for 2 pieces of french toast with fruit - did not even come with what is was supposed to - bad management never really apologized or did anything to make it right - won't be back or I bet countless others who waited longer
- poor serviceKhowardDined on 8/3/2014Over priced, poor service, and average food. Went to Sunday brunch. Waitress forgot the appetizers, never brought ketchup asked for twice, never checked on our table once food came. Kitchen staff needs training on egg cooking. Over easy eggs cooked with broken yolk. Best was corn crabmeat hush puppy that came on the house after the manager checked on us. House Bloody Mary mix also very good. I think they should stick to being local watering hole & leave food prep to another. staff seemed to have right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing problem. table next to us waited & waited on food & when it came, was the wrong thing completely. They walked out. I'd suggest the manager put up a help wanted sign for a new staff. He needs it!
- Good dinner, questionable clienteleRyanVIPDined on 8/2/2014I had a good dinner here, I was just a little taken aback by the clientele - kids running around, certain groups being obnoxious. Our server was not very pleasant, but was attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 296 reviews are from the Public House - National Harbor reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/26/2014Visited the National Harbor and dined at the Public House. The hostess and servers were great and added to the overall experience. They seated me outside and the service coverage was excellent for outside dining. The food met expectations and I'd go return on a future visit.
- Loud and LimitedKuleszKommentsDined on 7/12/2014It was extremely loud. Even squeezed into a "cozy" booth it was difficult to carry on a conversation. The menu was pretty limited. Really did not enjoy the food much. I know that it is a tough time- summer, national harbor, lots of conventions....but.....it was just uncomfortable. Will not likely return.
- Expensive and NoisyDougDined on 7/12/2014We arrived on time, but they didn't realize at first that there was a reservation. They sat us outside at a table for four which was fine since indoors was very loud. However, they didn't ask beforehand where we would prefer to sit. It just worked out. Outdoors, you're essentially on the sidewalk separated by a barrier, but passers by are right next to you, and the traffic noise was constant. Waiter was great, but had a hard time hearing him. Lots of young people on motorbikes revving their engines. Menu was a simple one page but expensive especially when the meal arrived. I ordered the 2 jumbo lump crabcake dinner for $32. Crabcakes looked about 10oz or less each and were not all jumbo lump. In retrospect, I would not go back.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014I was disappointed with the food and prices. A fly joined us for lunch.Special Features:
- therapy143VIPDined on 7/3/2014The spot at the National Harbor!!!!! I have eaten here several times and have never been disappointed. I highly recommend eating here. I live at the National Harbor and have tried every restaurant, this is the best by far.Special Features:
- lunch with an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/3/2014Drink service was slow but food service was prompt. Nice ambience for lunch with friends but not a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor diningbarroskeDined on 6/23/2014While attending a conference I ate dinner here, sitting outside. Shrimp and grits were ok, but needed salt. My dining partner had the ribeye which she enjoyed, but it also needed salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but priceybernie1Dined on 6/21/2014Good service, everyone enjoyed their meals. The prices are a bit high; had a shrimp and grits dinner that was $29 and came with only four shrimp. Tasty, but not too much on the plate. Great for a casual outdoor lunch, not sure I would go back for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was alright, nothing specialeatsaroundDined on 6/21/2014Public House is a decent place to eat at the National Harbor. There was really nothing of note during our lunch, nothing that really 'wow'ed us. Our waitress was so-so and had to be called back to our table to take our drink order, my crab cake burger was bland (they definitely need to add more spice/Old Bay to it), and our booth table was a bit too small. My son loved the fact the fries came in a mini 'fryer' basket (and the fries were good), but again, overall....meh. The prices were a bit on the high side as well. I'd recommend Public House, but there are also a ton of other places with, I feel, better food and service. Cadillac Ranch is right across the street and I've never had bad service/food there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotSugabeeDined on 6/18/2014Great atmosphere and the food was really good. Very nice spot for a "girls night out".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but a few issues.TRichDined on 6/15/2014I met a few friends there and we had a good time. The food was very good and we really enjoyed the space (both inside and outside). We ended up choosing to sit outside but wish they had told us that we would be sitting by the gate that staff goes in and out of, and they move people in wheelchairs and strollers through. Not a huge issue, but distracting and the response was "we don't usually have a table there." So it took away from the experience to say the least.Special Features: