Public House - Chattanooga
1110 Market Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Public House - Chattanooga
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publichousechattanooga.com/
- Phone: 423-266-3366x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday:5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Lindley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Public House - Chattanooga
Several years ago, I decided that my future in the restaurant business would most likely not remain in the realm of fine dining and gourmands, but would rather lean towards the style of restaurant that I found myself frequenting most often - places that provided consistency and quality at a price that was fair for the quality of the food and experience. Public House plays to the comforts of good, solid food, while applying the principles of premium food products to a more casual setting. You will find all the fish is delivered from Foley’s in Boston, high quality steaks and a rotating selection of vegetable sides that are true to the region and season. You’ll also find a really good hamburger and fish sandwich, along with fun snacks and small plates that pair well with cocktails, beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Public House - Chattanooga - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
Public House - Chattanooga reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)great for outdoor dining (44)special occasion (44)neighborhood gem (42)romantic (36)great for lunch (19)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (15)hot spot (14)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- Hostess Stand Needs HelpOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014This is twice I have been to the public house and have to stand there for over 5 minutes before anyone at the hostess stand looked up and spoke. Other than there lack of training I had a great experience and the food is great.Special Features:
- Food was AWESOMEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014What a great find. I had the pot roast, the best I have ever tasted. My husband had the shrimp & grits, two thumbs up. We will go back next time we r in town for sure.
- Chew Chew in Choo Choo TownOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014Locals pointed us out of towners to the Public House. Good Move. Enjoyable dinner on the patio with wonderful service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/11/2014Entree (trout) was very good, an excellent creme brulee for dessert. Service very good. Adequate wine list. Cost was quite reasonable, especially for the quality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great priceServicekingDined on 10/8/2014The food was excellent. This was a kid friendly atmosphere. The wine list was well thought out. You would think you would pay more for this level of service and quality of food. You will not go away hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great experience in Chattanooga!healthyfoodieDined on 10/7/2014I don't usually submit comments, but this experience was so outstanding I must. We wanted a healthy lunch with nice ambience in Chattanooga on a trip. We had time to explore the downtown area, and we looked for a recommendation online. We were impressed, both with the city and with the Public House! The restaurant is in Warehouse Row, with easy validated parking and a variety of beautiful shops in the complex. The décor is simple and modern, with outdoor seating on the terrace. Aaron, our waiter, was attentive, without hovering, and the food was sublime (and healthy!). We shared 2 salads, (beet/goat cheese and quinoa) and one entrée (a whole trout). They made it easy to do this, unlike some restaurants, and every taste was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerKatieDined on 10/4/2014My boyfriend and I had dinner at Public House while spending the weekend in Chattanooga. Good food and wine selection, I'd especially reccommend the pimento cheese, grilled sourdough, and fried pickles app. Great atmosphere with some outdoor seating as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed the Public House and would recommend it to anyone! The location is great but the food is even BETTER!Special Features:
- FiletCurjaxDined on 10/3/2014Quite possibly the best steak I have ever had. Ruth's Chris, eat your heart out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Chattanooga GemAUBHUNTDined on 10/2/2014The Public House is worth the visit. A varied menu that will meet any palate. Highlights include the Duck Contif, Pork Medallions and the Pimento Cheese appetizer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Good menu and the food was well prepared. We went on a Saturday evening and it was fairly crowded and very noisy. We asked to be moved to a quiter table and the moved us outside which worked out well since the weather was mild and there wasn't too much street noise. However, when we changed servers, the new server was not very attentive. He only checked back once for refills on our drinks and the food took over an hour to be served.Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantDateNightItDined on 9/20/2014This is my husband and my favorite restaurant when dining downtown. The locally sourced food is excellently prepared. I have even tried sides I would not ordinarily consider, and they are equally tasty. I love the variety of healthy options, so I can eat luxurious foods without sacrificing my health. This time I had the veggie plate and the house salad, and would have been content with one or the other. Both were delicious though. I had the marinated mushrooms, squash casserole, summer succotash, and garlic green beans which were all outstanding. My only critique is that the green beans were a little too crisp for my preference. My husband had the filet and it was very lean and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceLove2dineoVIPDined on 9/16/2014Everything was amazing, pot roast and chicken are the best in town. Very fresh local produce. Would recommend trying for good southern cooked meal. Food and service outstanding. Will defiantly return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chattanooga's bestlarryDined on 9/12/2014It is my favorite restaurant in Chattanooga. Never a bad meal or service experience. The pot roast, fried chicken, pork roast, fish of the day, whatever you get is always great. And the fried okra and squash casserole in season. WOW!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food but very noisy. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Love going to Public House when I visit Chattanooga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDClkfiveDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I were looking for a new place to eat, someplace which was not a chain and was greatly pleased by this place. Its not often you find deviled eggs on the menu, and I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food, pot roast, NY Strip, swordfish, scallops all were excellent. Pimento cheese and fried pickles over the top. Did an hour before dinner in the bar big crowd so very noisy but I'm sure normally fine sure. We will for sure be back. Our server was excellent in every way. Wonderful young lady who was so helpful informative and courteous. Although i can't remember her name he had dark red hair. Tim ShugartSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but seating problemKat3Dined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation for dinner. We were seated at a table with aa light that hang so low we couldn't see the people across from us. We requested a different table (there were SEVERAL available) and they wanted to seat us in front of the hostess stand and door (worst table in the restraunt), again asked for a different table and could tell they were getting frustrated with us, so we offered to sit outside. We were seated and were told next time we made a reservation we need to tell the. What table we wanted. I was a little offended, I didn't know we had to specify a table we could see and hear the people we were with as I thought that went without saying. However, we had a super great waiter, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a special dinnercharmingDined on 8/29/2014Surprisingly fun drinks and happy hour, menu is unique but something for everyone. Staff was very professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/25/2014The pot roast was the best I've ever eaten. (Sorry Mom).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseBhoust4uDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were in Chattanooga for our anniversary. I was looking for a nice restaurant to take my wife and we found this nice surprise. The service was great our waiter was very helpful. My wife had the trout which was excellent and I had the grouper which also was excellent. The homemade key lime pie was fantastic. We had a wonderful time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!Service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We are a young couple that went there for our prom dinner and now we go back every chance that we can. The service is great and they are willing to work with food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Warehouse RowrebeccahghDined on 8/9/2014My boyfriend and I were staying in a B&B only a couple blocks away (Stone Fort Inn); they had a restaurant on-site but the dress code was semi-formal there and we didn't feel like going the whole nine yards. Public House was highly-rated alternative that boasted finer fare with a relaxed atmosphere, so we made a reservation and took a stroll there. So glad we did! The service was friendly and fast, there was lots of room between tables and the food and drinks were delicious! I highly recommend the fried pickles with pimiento cheese and sourdough for an appetizer. Their specialty cocktail menu made us smile, too - all the drinks were inspired by Pixies songs. Try it! You'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in the 'Noog!AnnaDined on 8/9/2014The was the second time dinning at Public House, first time on the restaurant side, which is very bright and open, compared to the industrial, darker bar area. Both sides serve the full menu. EVERYTHING we had was fantastic. They do a great job of incorporating seasonal foods. Our server was wonderful, as well. Very friendly and helpful when discussing the menu. Love this place!Special Features:
- Good!foodjunkieDined on 8/9/2014Service was fantastic, space was great, and food was delicious. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Food, farm-to-table, Perfect!cicadafxDined on 8/8/2014Public House was a last-minute dinner find on a rainy 1-night trip through Chattanooga and is was a gem! Great meals, interesting presentation, priced fairly and very large (almost too big!) portions for a "foodie" place. The menu had a nice variety from local trout, pork and beef to farm-fresh veggies prepared in an innovative style with a southern flair. Dinner for 4 with appetizer and a couple of salads (but without alcohol and desert) was about $100. If we're in Chattanooga again, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Public House was a great find for dinner for our anniversary. The food was so fresh and perfectly prepared. Our service was great, enjoyed the recommendation for the pimento cheese appetizer. We had the fried chicken and pot roast entrees and they were both amazing.Special Features:
- Memorable DinnerGeeksinloveDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were in Chattanooga celebrating our wedding anniversary, and decided to have dinner at Public House after reading reviews on OpenTable. We dined outdoors, and enjoyed a beautiful dinner and wine, served by a very attentive and engaging young lady. The food was fresh, tasty, and absolutely wonderful, from the cheese course to dessert. We will go there whenever we visit the city.Special Features:
- Great experiencekwazzimoto9Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Nice outdoor seating with a great view of downtown. Excellent food with a good variety of food on the menu. Very enjoyable experience; with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerChatgirlDined on 7/19/2014The meal and service were very good. Only complaint is that the greens in the house salad were nothing exceptional. They were wilted. There were two cherry tomatoes, a few carrot shreds and a radish. I seem to remember the house salad there in the past as being fresh with lots of good veggies. This was a disappointment to an otherwise good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ambience suckedChattfoodcriticDined on 7/16/2014My family and I dined on a Wednesday night in July, hoping for a quiet, intimate experience. However, the room we were in was cacophonous. Several large parties sat at tables nearby, talking and laughing loudly. The design of the room contributed to the problem, as the bare hardwood floors, Spartan walls, and large windows echoed back all of this noise, making it difficult to carry on a conversation with my family. The overall appearance of the place was bland, white, and overly bright. The tables and chairs were crammed together in the room, as well. Our waiter was friendly and personable, but also self-absorbed, distracted, and inattentive. The food was delicious and well-presented, but the overall experience was lacking.Special Features:
- Awesome diningTonyDDined on 7/11/2014We dine here often and are never disappointed. Love the food, service and ambiance. Can't say enough about how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a shotBrianTheMasterVIPDined on 7/5/2014I really enjoyed the drinks offered and they had some nice deals on Saturday. With the food, it was lacking that extra that would have made it special. Maybe the biggest negative is they allow babies, maybe they should ask the parent of a crying baby to step out?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date night spot.kmari78Dined on 7/4/2014In Chattanooga for a night, my husband and I went here for a date night. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!SleeperVIPDined on 7/4/2014We had an excellent meal at Public House. Service was pleasant in that the waiter was very knowledgable and personable but was over-extended. There was an extremely long wait between ordering courses and check delivery and pickup. The small plates were excellent as we're the main courses. The only disappointment was that the fried chicken was rather ordinary compared to the remainder of the menu. Cocktails were inventive and fresh ingredients made them unique. Will definitely return because there were a number of things on the menu that I am anxious to try. Impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a special tripPapaVIPDined on 7/4/2014We found this spot while passing through town. Excellent!!!! Fresh ingredients, interesting variety of food choices, fabulous tastes, generous portions, and very affordable. It is a place we would make a special trip to if traveling through again.Special Features:
- Great DinnerFoodiesDined on 7/2/2014We had a group of picky eaters, and everyone was able to find a meal they loved. The menu has unique variety and everything tastes wonderful. The chef is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real food; prepared thoughtfullytnfredsDined on 6/27/2014When we want a dining experience where we don't have to worry about a jacket and tie (let's face it...never!)...we come to PH. In this stage of life we love to eat local food treated with respect for the product itself; combined with the simplest yet most enjoyable combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all-aroundLuckyMan50Dined on 6/26/2014Homemade perfectly from locally grown produce paired well with variety.with numerous wines. Date or family friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 354 reviews are from the Public House - Chattanooga reviews archive.