Public House - Chattanooga
1110 Market Street
Chattanooga, TN 37402Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Public House - Chattanooga
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.publichousechattanooga.com/
- Phone: 423-266-3366x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch : Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Monday - Thursday:5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Michael Lindley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Public House - Chattanooga
Several years ago, I decided that my future in the restaurant business would most likely not remain in the realm of fine dining and gourmands, but would rather lean towards the style of restaurant that I found myself frequenting most often - places that provided consistency and quality at a price that was fair for the quality of the food and experience. Public House plays to the comforts of good, solid food, while applying the principles of premium food products to a more casual setting. You will find all the fish is delivered from Foley’s in Boston, high quality steaks and a rotating selection of vegetable sides that are true to the region and season. You’ll also find a really good hamburger and fish sandwich, along with fun snacks and small plates that pair well with cocktails, beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Public House - Chattanooga - Best Restaurants in Chattanooga ›
Public House - Chattanooga reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (45)neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (41)romantic (36)good for groups (22)great for lunch (21)hot spot (16)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)scenic view (7)late-night find (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Good menu and the food was well prepared. We went on a Saturday evening and it was fairly crowded and very noisy. We asked to be moved to a quiter table and the moved us outside which worked out well since the weather was mild and there wasn't too much street noise. However, when we changed servers, the new server was not very attentive. He only checked back once for refills on our drinks and the food took over an hour to be served.Special Features:
- Favorite RestaurantDateNightItDined on 9/20/2014This is my husband and my favorite restaurant when dining downtown. The locally sourced food is excellently prepared. I have even tried sides I would not ordinarily consider, and they are equally tasty. I love the variety of healthy options, so I can eat luxurious foods without sacrificing my health. This time I had the veggie plate and the house salad, and would have been content with one or the other. Both were delicious though. I had the marinated mushrooms, squash casserole, summer succotash, and garlic green beans which were all outstanding. My only critique is that the green beans were a little too crisp for my preference. My husband had the filet and it was very lean and tender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceLove2dineoVIPDined on 9/16/2014Everything was amazing, pot roast and chicken are the best in town. Very fresh local produce. Would recommend trying for good southern cooked meal. Food and service outstanding. Will defiantly return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chattanooga's bestlarryDined on 9/12/2014It is my favorite restaurant in Chattanooga. Never a bad meal or service experience. The pot roast, fried chicken, pork roast, fish of the day, whatever you get is always great. And the fried okra and squash casserole in season. WOW!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Excellent food but very noisy. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Love going to Public House when I visit Chattanooga!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemDClkfiveDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I were looking for a new place to eat, someplace which was not a chain and was greatly pleased by this place. Its not often you find deviled eggs on the menu, and I would highly recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food, pot roast, NY Strip, swordfish, scallops all were excellent. Pimento cheese and fried pickles over the top. Did an hour before dinner in the bar big crowd so very noisy but I'm sure normally fine sure. We will for sure be back. Our server was excellent in every way. Wonderful young lady who was so helpful informative and courteous. Although i can't remember her name he had dark red hair. Tim ShugartSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but seating problemKat3Dined on 8/29/2014We made a reservation for dinner. We were seated at a table with aa light that hang so low we couldn't see the people across from us. We requested a different table (there were SEVERAL available) and they wanted to seat us in front of the hostess stand and door (worst table in the restraunt), again asked for a different table and could tell they were getting frustrated with us, so we offered to sit outside. We were seated and were told next time we made a reservation we need to tell the. What table we wanted. I was a little offended, I didn't know we had to specify a table we could see and hear the people we were with as I thought that went without saying. However, we had a super great waiter, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a special dinnercharmingDined on 8/29/2014Surprisingly fun drinks and happy hour, menu is unique but something for everyone. Staff was very professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisDined on 8/25/2014The pot roast was the best I've ever eaten. (Sorry Mom).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice surpriseBhoust4uDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I were in Chattanooga for our anniversary. I was looking for a nice restaurant to take my wife and we found this nice surprise. The service was great our waiter was very helpful. My wife had the trout which was excellent and I had the grouper which also was excellent. The homemade key lime pie was fantastic. We had a wonderful time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazing!Service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We are a young couple that went there for our prom dinner and now we go back every chance that we can. The service is great and they are willing to work with food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Warehouse RowrebeccahghDined on 8/9/2014My boyfriend and I were staying in a B&B only a couple blocks away (Stone Fort Inn); they had a restaurant on-site but the dress code was semi-formal there and we didn't feel like going the whole nine yards. Public House was highly-rated alternative that boasted finer fare with a relaxed atmosphere, so we made a reservation and took a stroll there. So glad we did! The service was friendly and fast, there was lots of room between tables and the food and drinks were delicious! I highly recommend the fried pickles with pimiento cheese and sourdough for an appetizer. Their specialty cocktail menu made us smile, too - all the drinks were inspired by Pixies songs. Try it! You'll like it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place in the 'Noog!AnnaDined on 8/9/2014The was the second time dinning at Public House, first time on the restaurant side, which is very bright and open, compared to the industrial, darker bar area. Both sides serve the full menu. EVERYTHING we had was fantastic. They do a great job of incorporating seasonal foods. Our server was wonderful, as well. Very friendly and helpful when discussing the menu. Love this place!Special Features:
- Good!foodjunkieDined on 8/9/2014Service was fantastic, space was great, and food was delicious. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Food, farm-to-table, Perfect!cicadafxDined on 8/8/2014Public House was a last-minute dinner find on a rainy 1-night trip through Chattanooga and is was a gem! Great meals, interesting presentation, priced fairly and very large (almost too big!) portions for a "foodie" place. The menu had a nice variety from local trout, pork and beef to farm-fresh veggies prepared in an innovative style with a southern flair. Dinner for 4 with appetizer and a couple of salads (but without alcohol and desert) was about $100. If we're in Chattanooga again, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Public House was a great find for dinner for our anniversary. The food was so fresh and perfectly prepared. Our service was great, enjoyed the recommendation for the pimento cheese appetizer. We had the fried chicken and pot roast entrees and they were both amazing.Special Features:
- Memorable DinnerGeeksinloveDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I were in Chattanooga celebrating our wedding anniversary, and decided to have dinner at Public House after reading reviews on OpenTable. We dined outdoors, and enjoyed a beautiful dinner and wine, served by a very attentive and engaging young lady. The food was fresh, tasty, and absolutely wonderful, from the cheese course to dessert. We will go there whenever we visit the city.Special Features:
- Great experiencekwazzimoto9Dined on 8/1/2014This restaurant was a pleasant surprise. Nice outdoor seating with a great view of downtown. Excellent food with a good variety of food on the menu. Very enjoyable experience; with good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerChatgirlDined on 7/19/2014The meal and service were very good. Only complaint is that the greens in the house salad were nothing exceptional. They were wilted. There were two cherry tomatoes, a few carrot shreds and a radish. I seem to remember the house salad there in the past as being fresh with lots of good veggies. This was a disappointment to an otherwise good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ambience suckedChattfoodcriticDined on 7/16/2014My family and I dined on a Wednesday night in July, hoping for a quiet, intimate experience. However, the room we were in was cacophonous. Several large parties sat at tables nearby, talking and laughing loudly. The design of the room contributed to the problem, as the bare hardwood floors, Spartan walls, and large windows echoed back all of this noise, making it difficult to carry on a conversation with my family. The overall appearance of the place was bland, white, and overly bright. The tables and chairs were crammed together in the room, as well. Our waiter was friendly and personable, but also self-absorbed, distracted, and inattentive. The food was delicious and well-presented, but the overall experience was lacking.Special Features:
- Awesome diningTonyDDined on 7/11/2014We dine here often and are never disappointed. Love the food, service and ambiance. Can't say enough about how good it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth a shotBrianTheMasterVIPDined on 7/5/2014I really enjoyed the drinks offered and they had some nice deals on Saturday. With the food, it was lacking that extra that would have made it special. Maybe the biggest negative is they allow babies, maybe they should ask the parent of a crying baby to step out?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good date night spot.kmari78Dined on 7/4/2014In Chattanooga for a night, my husband and I went here for a date night. We enjoyed the food and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!SleeperVIPDined on 7/4/2014We had an excellent meal at Public House. Service was pleasant in that the waiter was very knowledgable and personable but was over-extended. There was an extremely long wait between ordering courses and check delivery and pickup. The small plates were excellent as we're the main courses. The only disappointment was that the fried chicken was rather ordinary compared to the remainder of the menu. Cocktails were inventive and fresh ingredients made them unique. Will definitely return because there were a number of things on the menu that I am anxious to try. Impressive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a special tripPapaVIPDined on 7/4/2014We found this spot while passing through town. Excellent!!!! Fresh ingredients, interesting variety of food choices, fabulous tastes, generous portions, and very affordable. It is a place we would make a special trip to if traveling through again.Special Features:
- Great DinnerFoodiesDined on 7/2/2014We had a group of picky eaters, and everyone was able to find a meal they loved. The menu has unique variety and everything tastes wonderful. The chef is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- real food; prepared thoughtfullytnfredsDined on 6/27/2014When we want a dining experience where we don't have to worry about a jacket and tie (let's face it...never!)...we come to PH. In this stage of life we love to eat local food treated with respect for the product itself; combined with the simplest yet most enjoyable combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent all-aroundLuckyMan50Dined on 6/26/2014Homemade perfectly from locally grown produce paired well with variety.with numerous wines. Date or family friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner out!jeepikeDined on 6/21/2014This was a great way to start a night out! Dinner was great and so was dessert.Special Features:
- First time but not the last time.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014This was our first time eating at this establishment. the service was great and the food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyLocalTNchickVIPDined on 6/16/2014Great place for outdoor dining, yummy cheese plate. Salmon and duck breast were delicious entrees. We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will returnIshallreturnDined on 6/14/2014the inside has really nice ambience and the menu is good food and a nice variety. I like the idea of supporting local produce. I enjoyed my glass of wine , meal and dessert with coffee. 3 people cost $120 including tip. Only negative, was the rolls are blah and nothing special at all. This was a shame since I am a big bread guy. I will definitely go back and will multiple times to try all the options. My trout was very good. Ease of online reservations was a nice touch.Special Features:
- Outstanding!RebecaDined on 6/11/2014Food & drinks were fresh & tasted incredible! Friendly staff. Great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mda1Dined on 6/11/2014Our wine tasting group had a wonderful dinner. The service was attentive; always there when we needed it. The food is a blend of interesting/innovative with comfort; there were great matches for the eclectic wines we brought. The restaurant made it an excellent meeting of our group.Special Features:
- LisaS27Dined on 6/4/2014Wonderful evening celebrating my daughter's birthday with family and friends! Our server was great and the atmosphere and food were perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 347 reviews are from the Public House - Chattanooga reviews archive.
- Birthday EveningLuvgdfdDined on 5/31/2014Decided upon Public House based on reviews and local opinion. All were correct. We enjoyed our evening with good food and service.Special Features:
- TASTE OF FOODluv2eatfreshDined on 5/30/2014THE FOOD IS DELICIOUS...THE FLAVOR OF THE FOOD LETS YOU KNOW THAT EVERYTHING IS FRESH AND PREPARED FROM SCRATCH...FOOD IS BEAUTIFULLY PRESENTED AND LOOKS WONDERFUL...YOU CAN TASTE FRESHNESS IN EACH BITE...THE POT ROAST IS FABULOUS...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatChrisAndersonDined on 5/29/2014Public House never disappoints, and I dine there weekly. Lunch is incredible at a surprisingly reasonable price. Dinner is more on the elegant side. Their bar, Social, is one of my favorites in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.