Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
279 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.federaltandk.com/
- Phone: 4014548881x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Lunch & Dinner - Kitchen Hours
Sunday 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Monday - Closed For Lunch / Dinner 3:00pm - 10pm
Tuesday - Thursday 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 11:00pm
Appy Hour: Monday-Sunday 3:00pm-6:00pm
Bar Open Later Nightly.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Gastro Pub, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Vargas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Monday- Every Monday is "Appy Hour Day"
Tuesday- "TNT" Taco & Tequila Tuesday
$3 Tacos and $5 Tequila Specialty Drinks
Wednesday- Wine Down Wednesday,
30% Off all Wine Menu Bottles of Wine
A word from Federal Taphouse and Kitchen
Federal Taphouse & Kitchen. With a Creatively constructed menu and Over 30 Craft Beers on draft and Bottles, The Federal Taphouse & Kitchen has become an Urban Comfort Food "A must go to dining spot", Located on Historic Federal Hill, Its casual atmosphere invites you to come in and enjoy a Hand Crafted Cocktail, glass of Wine or one of our Locally sourced Craft Beers, while feasting on small plate appetizers, flatbreads and Salumeria boards that are all meant to be shared. We believe in using locally sourced ingredients. Using our Sister Company The Spring House Hotel is a major provider of most of our vegetables during the growing season. From potatoes, Garlic, Swiss Chard and Varietal Greens as well as from many of Rhode Islands local farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Federal Taphouse and Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Federal Taphouse and Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (24)neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (19)romantic (18)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (12)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- GreatFederalHillLoversVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our server was the best! Good food,good atmosphere!Special Features:
- Not the original PrimeFnkyDined on 9/6/2014Mixed review. 1st of all, if you are looking for the upscale Prime stake house--this is no longer the case. New ownership, much more casual; we were celebrating a birthday and expecting a fancier place. Food still good but menu limited. It was hot and the AC was broken in the entire restaurant somehow. The service was sub par---brought out the salads with the appetizer (pet peeve) and managed to cook the wrong type of steak for someone in party; that being said they did let us keep the wrong steak, the correct steak and dessert were on the house for their bad service so they at least tried to make right
- YummmmoYummoDined on 9/6/2014I have been to Providence Prime twice now and I keep getting blown away by the food! The first visit we tried the boar chops - wow was that good! This time we tried the shrimp and grits - that was amazing. Our entrees were delicious and plentiful portions. For dessert we had the tiramisu, which is the best that we have ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningNPdinerDined on 8/21/2014Started off with appy hour at the bar. $1 oysters and $6 filet sliders can't be beat! We had dinner and Kandace was our server. She was awesome! The food was excellent and the service was top notch. We will definitely be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tea4twoDined on 8/8/2014Food was amazing...the quality, the preparation, and the presentation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beRIFoodie9VIPDined on 8/8/2014This place used to be our go-to place to meet up with friends, take out of town guests or just go out for a nice meal. I was sad to see that they changed their style and menu. Our favorite apps had been removed from the menu and several dishes had also been removed. The steaks we ordered were delicious and thankfully they still offered the amazing sweet potato hash which is our favorite side dish. I do liked the new layout which makes the restaurant seem more open but wish the old menu would come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Saturday night outDee1Dined on 7/26/2014Prime is an excellent spot on the hill! They've made some great changes to the overall feel and concept of the place and now it's somewhere you want to go not just for a special occasion but on a regular basis too. They recently updated their menu and now offer tapas and some amazing new entrees. Everything we had was fantastic and the staff and service was awesome. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out.PrimedforPrimeDined on 7/19/2014We had requested a quiet table and were accomodated with a table for four in a niche by the window. The service was great and the food was phenomenal. My son-in-law had told us it had the best steak he had ever eaten and he was right. The petite filet mignon melted in my mouth. We were able to have a nice dress up date night thanks to Providence restaraunt week.Special Features:
- OutstandingTeachKDined on 7/18/2014Providence Prime is fantastic. From the Valet to the wait staff to the delicious food the experience its amazing!Special Features:
- Good foodAverageDined on 7/18/2014The food and service were both very good. However, due to restaurant week the portions were much smaller.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsWineandDineDined on 7/17/2014Wonderful restaurant week meals for only $29.99 - WOW!! From first courses - Caesar salad with shaved parm and white anchovies (requested) and the Thai calamari, main courses of 8 oz. filet and salmon Oscar (homemade Hollandaise sauce), to tiramisu and the best creme brulee I've ever had, everything was delicious. It was a pleasure to not have just an entree in the middle of the plate. Both meals came with sides of homemade mashed potato (1 was garlic mashed) and veggies (1 zucchini, 1 grilled asparagus). Tried Providence Prime for the first time. Will definitely return. Also, was pleased that valet parking was available. It can be crowded on Federal Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ContentDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I chose Prime for dinner during Restaurant Week. Immediately upon entering we knew we made a good decision. The restaurant is beautiful, service was so attentive and kind, and the food was absolutely fantastic! We had calamari and steak satay as our appetizers, both had perfect filet mignon as our main course, and finished with vanilla bean creme brûlée. Everything was wonderful! At regular price it is definitely a splurge, but they offer bar specials each day from 4-6:30PM. We are going to take advantage of those next visit! The only surprise was beer prices - more expensive than wine and majority of options were bottled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MRS11Dined on 7/16/2014We have been to Providence Prime many times and it's never a disappointment. Always a great dining event!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find!HeabouDined on 7/15/2014I really enjoyed Providence Prime! A friend and I were out on a girls night out and were lucky enough that it was Restraunt Week in Providence. The food was outstanding and the service was great. The prices were in line with "food on the Hill", the only reason this wasn't 5 stars is because I was disappointed that the drink portion of my bill was more than my food. The prices for the drinks were not on the menu that is provided with great discriptions and I was in a little shocked when my bill came.Special Features:
- Not the sameOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014I'm sorry but the last time we were there last year we had more of a steak selection than just the 2 that you had. 3 of us had steaks that were overcooked and not as juicy. We didn't complain because we were hungry. For the price it wasn't worth it at all. We brought a friend who I raved about the place to and he wasn't impressed at all. It was really unfortunate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014we were there on our 30th anniversary the service was great the food was excellent .they had a great variety of drinks we were there during providence restraunt week everything was great portion size was good. they gave us a champagne toast. they gave us a very good cake for dessert on requested on line . first time there I would recommend to try you wont be disappointed I will return for dinner when were in town thanks for everything. bob an doreSpecial Features:
- First Time Dinercatcity2Dined on 7/12/2014Went to Providence Prime for Restaurant Week, greeted warmly by arrival and seated promptly. Very excellent food and great presentation. Waiter, Tyler, was great! I love the way they go out of their way to make sure every thing is perfect for you. The Maitre D was exceptional and the Valet guys were prompt and courteous. We will be sure to stop in again as food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucyDined on 7/9/2014My husband I dined at Prime to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. I can't say enough about the service and the quality of the food. We have never had a better meal anywhere. We left satisfied and happy.Special Features:
- SurprisedGoodnightout99VIPDined on 7/8/2014We have not been to Providence Prime in over a year and they have just changed their layout, decor and menue in the last month or so. The new layout is much more open and comfortable, the decor more casual and then menu is a huge upgrade and offered a great variety that all looked excellent. The meal did not disappoint, the service was ok and they were not busy at all on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Steaks!2foodiesDined on 7/8/2014We enjoyed another dinner at Providence Prime. Our server was friendly and knowledgeable. Dinner was delicious, from appetizer of calamari to steak tips and filet mignon with mashed potatoes and asparagus. The only slight disapointment was the gelato for dessert. It's texture was off, not smooth creamy as it should be, but rather like ice milk, could have been a freezer thing. Our server was professional and notified the kitchen and manager, who brought us a take home replacement dessert, which we explained was not necessary. We will definitely continue to dine here, both the food and service shine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Work in progressNoCigarDined on 6/27/2014Overall, entree items were very tasty, attractive and fully met expectations for my wife and me. An appetizer, "Colossal" shrimp cocktail, as described in the menu, could be called medium, so be sure to ask for free extra pieces for that price. Server was not knowledgeable about the content of entrees - that needs to be fixed altho in (some) fairness, server was very new to the organization. We will likely go again because we have faith in the brand that includes Prov Oyster Bar and Springhouse on Block Island ...Special Features:
- The following 354 reviews are from the Federal Taphouse and Kitchen reviews archive.
- Providence PrimecherobrienVIPDined on 6/26/20141st time in Providence and found this place on Open Table. We were not disappointed. Food was great, service too. Would return upon our next trip through the area.Special Features:
- Great for group celebrationsStephanieCDined on 5/23/2014This was all of our first times eating at Providence Prime. I had heard about it from a friend so we decided to check it out for a birthday party. We were not disappointed! The waitstaff was very attentive to our needs and offered some great food suggestions. The steak was nicely cooked (some pink in the middle), and those duck fat fries were awesome. i'd definitely come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 starsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The food @ service was excellent worth the drive from Boston.You help to make our anniversary even more specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wheaton14Dined on 5/17/2014We came to Providence Prime after our daughters college graduation...there were 11 of us including a 9 month old baby! The service was efficient and personable. The food and drinks was delicious and imaginative....over all we had a wonderful experience. We can't wait to come back and try the other items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Went to celebrate a birthday. The food was excellent, and the service was as well. However, if you are looking for a quiet, romantic restaurant this would not be the place. Dining area is open to the bar and TV's on all night. There was music playing in the background but unfortunately you could not hear it. Tables extremely close together so couldn't help but hear everyone else's conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still goodFamilydinnerDined on 5/3/2014They changed the menu!! They took away some of their best dishes. Rethink this decisionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unimpressed!Mikec11hDined on 5/3/2014The 3 filet mignons were ordered were of excellent taste, however their individual price was way too high at $34 each. Their website stated the add-ons would be of no charge however, they stated at the restaurant that their policy was recently changed. Way too skimpy on the quantity of asparagus for the $8 price. We sat next to a party of 13, including two children. One adult was way too loud for this type of restaurant. The two kids were playing their video games a high volume level. All inappropriate. They need to upgrade their salt and pepper shakers to something other than what one would find at a local 24 hour diner. The music (contemporary Top 40 Hits) was a tad too loud. The alcoholic drinks took far to long to receive at our table.
- NoComplaintsNonFamilyVenueDined on 4/26/2014Everything was perfect from the moment "before" we walked in the door. We were a party of four and we were all more than satisfied with the food, the service, and the relaxed atmosphere. Valet parking on a rainy night was especially appreciated. Best steak on the planet. Be sure not to miss this place if you are in Providence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit, Not the LastKrisGreenDined on 4/25/2014My wife and I came for my birthday. The Clams Casino, one of my favorite dishes anywhere, might have had a little too much butter, but are still up there with some of the best I've had. I was unsure which steak to get, and our waitress recommended the rib-eye, which was a winner. It was cooked perfectly and was delicious. My wife is a vegetarian, so the chef made her with a tasty pasta dish with vegetables in a lemon wine sauce. The only negative was that we asked if the sweet potato hash was made with meat and were told no. After my wife ate a few bites of potato, I discovered bacon, asked the waitress about it, and she said it was pancetta. Very disappointing since it wasn't a secret my wife is a vegetarian (special meal request)!Special Features:
- Sub-PrimeBrahminDined on 3/29/2014Perhaps I made the mistake of not ordering steak. I had the short-rib pappardelle pasta dish. It was flavorful, but very rich, and I, therefore, couldn't finish half of it. My dining partner had the bone-in veal, which was excellent. The ambiance was so-so. At 7:30 on a Saturday the restaurant was 3/4 empty. Oyster Bar next door was hopping. We considered scrapping Prime in favor of dining there. Our female server was nice, but didn't know the menu at all. She stumbled through the specials, making several errors. Perhaps she was new. I ordered a mixed drink which was terrible. She cheerfully took it off the bill. I don't think we'll be back. There are far better options for steak in Providence...as well as service and ambiance.Special Features:
- ExcellentTinaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Got to eat here unexpectedly after thinking I had made a reservation at 10 Prime steak and sushi. When we showed up at the wrong place I checked my confirmation and realized Providence Prime is not the same place. Lol Embarassing. However we had time to still make our reservation. Loved it, much quieter than the first place and the food was excellent as was the service. Started by sharing a dozen oysters followed by fork tender fillet mignon and the best creme brulee ever. I am gluten free so this was perfect. The creme brulee had real vanilla beans. Embarrased by the mix up but loved this one and will go back. The hostess at the first place saiid we weren't the first to confuse the 2.Special Features:
- Great FoodGr8FoodieDined on 3/28/2014The food was delicious, the restaurant was beautiful. The fact that there was only one other table with people was a little concerning for us, but the food was great and service just as good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hour and foodjerseygirlDined on 3/24/2014We have been to the sister restaurant, Providence Oyster Bar, many times, but hadn't been to the Prime in a few years. It didn't disappoint, and we love that they offer happy hour specials that include raw oysters, too! Service was perfect - attentive, but non-intrusive, and providing a good suggestion when asked.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerProvidenceeatersDined on 3/21/2014Brought my husband for his birthday dinner, as he loves steak and king crab and this is the one place that has that option year round. Our waitress was attentive and helpful, and made great recommendations (I was torn between a steak dish or short ribs with pasta and she pointed out that in the Hill if you want pasta you go to a different place). I had the bone-in filet mignon. My husband got the twice baked potato for a side and that was the star of the evening. We started with our favorite blue point oysters (which are also his absolute favorite variety) and steak tartare. Like I said, everything was delicious, and service was awesome but what sticks out to memory was the twice baked potato- go there and get that.Special Features:
- S' mores top of a great night.ReneeDined on 3/7/2014Hadn't been here in 7 years but it will not be another 7 years before my next visit. The food was very good. The service was impeccable. We had 8 reservations and we ordered dessert before 9 and on a Friday night. The S' mores rock!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meals were outstanding.MrsMalp1Dined on 3/6/2014The meals were outstanding. I am not going to lie it was expensive so ask for a price before you make your choice. The steaks outrageous. It is a place to dine and enjoy your company, food and drink. Not a place to run in and out of. It was a very quiet night on 3-5-14, our friends birthday but even though it was all about her , it was all about all of us. WonderfulSpecial Features:
- Great spot for steakDee1Dined on 2/28/2014Delicious food, extremely friendly and knowledgable server, overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience. My steak was delicious and those I was with all received their steak perfect as ordered. The sides were fantastic. Started with the garbage salad which is a mix of lots of different things, although the name was off putting it was pretty good although seemed to have some items that didn't vibe with each other, but overall a solid choice. Also started with calamari for the table which was very good. Overall a great dining experience, great steaks and staff, very nice steakhouse.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Our FavoritesCindy75Dined on 2/22/2014Prime is definitely on the top of our great restaurants list! We would love to go more often, but it is a finer restaurant, we usually go on special occasions, or when we have a groupon. The staff is always fantastic and fun, and the steak is the best we have had. I love going to the hill, it is always a great experience. Thanks, Cindy CookeSpecial Features:
- night outfoodrocksDined on 2/15/2014Food was fantastic. Good portions. Leave full. Service excellent, not overbearing. Atmosphere is pleasant. Not too dark so you can see your food. The restaurant is not loud so you can have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.