Providence Oyster Bar
283 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Providence Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.providenceoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 4012728866x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch:Sundays 11:30am-2pm Dinner 2pm-9:00pm
Appy Hour: Every Day: 3:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Open Later Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Timothy Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Providence Oyster Bar
Located in historic Federal Hill, Providence Oyster Bar stands out as Rhode Island"s premiere seafood house. Upscale, yet casual, the Providence Oyster Bar welcomes you to be spoiled by the freshest selection of oysters and clams.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Providence Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Providence Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)vibrant bar scene (25)special occasion (22)notable wine list (20)neighborhood gem (19)romantic (13)hot spot (13)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)great for brunch (8)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Delicioius foodlovetoeatoutDined on 9/14/2014The food was very good, service was fine but it was quite noisy. When I made the reservation, i included that we were celebrating my granddaughters first "real" job after graduating from URI last May. They didn't do anythinh extra or mention the occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Little Place!HelloKDined on 8/16/2014Almost always when we visit Federal Hill in Providence for the weekend, we eat at the Oyster Bar. It is small, but has a nice atmosphere, the service is always very attentive and the food very good as well, we usually have dinner on Saturday night and then sometimes go back for lunch on Sunday. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- great service!nycbostonfoodieDined on 8/10/2014This place was recommended by a friend who used to live in Providence, and it was definitely worth it! The food was amazing--the moules frites appetizer was one of the best mussel dishes I've ever had. The bacon wrapped scallop salad was delicious, and the scallops were cooked perfectly. The service was great--our waiter was attentive and nice, and the bus boys consistently kept our water glasses full. Definitely recommend this to anyone who loves seafood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Federal Hill RetreatBakermanDined on 8/9/2014The Ouster Bar is fantastic. It's our second "go-to" restaurant in Providence. The food and atmosphere are wonderful and I've never failed to have a anything but satisfaction when I done here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014I was very pleased with the over all experience. It was my first time there and I enjoyed it very much. Would be interested in coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great eveningcollcharDined on 8/2/2014We sat at a table in the far end of the restaurant. Great table, nice level of noise so that we all were able to hear each other talk easily. generous portions. Especially liked the lobster wontons. Nice selection on the menu. Water glasses were always full. Great timing and attention from wait staffSpecial Features:
- Birthday dinnerSVH227Dined on 7/27/2014Had to request that A/C be turned down. Had to prod waiter to "move things along," as one of our party had a train to catch. It was an expensive dinner. On the positive side, the food was great, and everyone seem to enjoy their entrees. The seafood was very fresh. Service was inconsistent, but mostly attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent raw bar;DaveyBoyDined on 7/17/2014Excellent raw bar; the main reason why I drive to Providence is for appi hour.Special Features:
- Classic New England Fare w/ a twistJohnJVIPDined on 7/13/2014We came here with our family on a Sunday night. The restaurant is long and fairly narrow with a long bar on the left side, four person booths lined up along the right wall, and tables in between. It was busy but not crowded. The service was very attentive and allowed us to order in waves as our chatty group couldn't make ay decisions. The oysters were (expectedly) terrific. As were the maple-espresso glazed scallops wrapped in bacon. The cioppino was HUGE and definitely could have served two. One person tried the sushi, which was also quite good. We would certainly come back, though now that we've eaten our way through the menu we might order a bit less when we return.
- wonderful eveningnotoutoftenDined on 7/10/2014Some family from Texas came visiting and we wanted to treat them to an upscale new england dining experience, Providence style. Providence Oyster Bar delivered! Most ordered off the Restaurant Week menu (great timing!) some the regular menu. None were disappointed. Every meal was superb. The atmosphere was very comfortable (party of 8) and the service was impeccable. If I'm expecting to drop a considerable sum on a dining experience, I better walk away happy that I did. I left elated.Special Features:
- mrsljDined on 7/7/2014We always have an enjoyable early evening dinner when we come here. The menu offers good seafood choices. It is close to home so we don't have to drive to Matunuck to get oysters. They are really fresh here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverdoneKelseyTDined on 7/6/2014Our shrimp and asparagus pasta dish was overdone on both counts.
- Disappointed but still deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Ordered a steak medium rare and it came out rare. In fairness, they offered to cook it longer however for $37.00, the expectation is that my steak is going to come out the way I order it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedrjl8125Dined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent, as was the service. Nice Atmosphere. A little pricey, but overall a great experience.Special Features:
- Expected more!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Was our 34th wedding anniversary, reservation made over a week in advance. No special attention was given to us or our table. Not even a free drink, or a shrimp, or even a visit to our table by manager or chef. Food was excellent but would not recommend this restaurant for any special occasion. they did not go out of they're way to make it a special one. I expected more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Staff, incredible food!Sara63Dined on 6/16/2014We went for the oysters and were surprised by how many varieties they had. We tried a platter of a dozen mixed and they all came labeled (something a pricier seafood place nearby doesn't even do) and then had soup and salad. The food was amazing! The staff was very un-rushed and helpful and even the valet parking guy went out of his way to make sure we could go stroll around the hill after and be able to get to our car when we were ready to go. We will definitely go back to this small, well-appointed place with a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Loved ithungryboomDined on 6/15/2014Great food and service. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters and more!QuincyAnonymousDined on 6/7/2014We read the many positive reviews and decided to try it out. There were 11 varieties of oysters that night and we settled on 2. The red wine mignonette was a nice touch! Our meals were beautifully presented and though my cod was a tad overcooked and dry, it was delicious. Next time I will try the sushi options as I saw several tables enjoying them. If you want a special seafood dining option to the Italian restaurant dominated Federal Hill scene, I would highly recommend The Oyster Bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always FreshDLO13Dined on 6/7/2014Some of the best seafood in RI great dinner specials and some of the best oysters around. The sea food tower is fantastic and a must have...Special Features:
- Providence Oyster BarAntoneliaDined on 5/30/2014This restaurant has an exquisite selection of seafood and never disappoints. Again this weekend it was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok local foodfoodieDined on 5/25/2014oysters were fresh. Steamed lobster was dried out, i believe they cook it open and when served it was too chewy. On this night, given it was graduation wknd, they ran out of bread and service was a little slow. It's ok, but i'm sure tehre are better restaurants for these prices and fresh food.
- Superb seafoodCdogDined on 5/23/2014If you like excellent seafood this is your place, from multiple kinds of oysters to a fabulous lobster (or lobster roll, or lobster mashed potatoes--don't miss these), you'll love the food. Fabulous happy hour! Great neighborhood feel.Special Features:
- one of our favorites in ProvidenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/22/2014We have been visiting Providence at least once and often twice a year while our daughter has been a student at Brown. POB remains one of our favorite restaurants. The oysters are among the best we've had anywhere in the US...only Hog Island in San Francisco competes. A few of our other favorites include the cod bianco and steamed littlenecks (Cannellini beans, sweet Italian sausage, rabe). POB knows what it does well and does just that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 261 reviews are from the Providence Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Amazing seafood!GretchenDined on 5/18/2014Largest selection of seafood I have seen, and enough items for non-seafood lovers to enjoy.Special Features:
- lunchluv2eatDined on 5/14/2014Lunch date with friend, took advantage of halibut/risotto special. Delicious!! Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRoseDined on 5/12/2014High quality ingredients cooked to average quality results. Nothing was completely bad, but nothing was memorable either, and the price was very high. Seafood was fresh and high-quality, but preparations were heavy handed and there was no subtlety or imagination. I would not return since for the same costs one can get a phenomenal meal in several other Providence restaurants. Too bad, since I was hoping to find a great local seafood place that isn't a chain.
- consistently awesomeDonDVIPDined on 5/10/2014We have been going to the POB since it first opened and have never been disappointed. The menu is usually the same, but the specials are creative and intriguing. The freshest seafood around can be enjoyed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingbry49Dined on 5/9/2014we never left the starters side of the menu service & food were greatSpecial Features:
- Whoa!JansreviewsDined on 5/7/2014From the time I made the reservation to valet bringing around my car to leave, the service was excellent. The restaurant is in a great location. The restaurant only allows you to reserve for a maximum party of 8. But I ended up having 9 people and the hostess didn't even sweat it. The dining area is pretty compact and I was nervous that our party of 9 wouldn't fit comfortably, but that was not the case. We were sat near the kitchen and I always smell foul kitchen mats when in other restaurants, but I didn't here. I even forgot how close we were to it. The waitress was super friendly & on point. Her tip was included but she didn't act like it. She definitely earned every penny. Valet is free which is great. AND THE FOOD IS AWESOOOOOME!Special Features:
- business lunchcthgDined on 4/30/2014table for six. food very good, service polite and attentative but a bit slow in delivering lunch. Our server just started. I would go back however.. definately worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Nice place.RockyDined on 4/26/2014Service was good as well as the food. Drinks were very good. Atmosphere was energetic. It was a little noisy and our table was about six inches from the kitchen. Lots of kitchen noise. If you are going to come here, make sure you make a reservation and ask not to sit near the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & 9 Kinds of OystersTTGRAD94Dined on 4/23/2014We found this online and am so glad we did! The service was outstanding and our waitress made the experience so amazing we came back the next night too! We learned that they served 9 kinds of oysters and their wine list was varied. I would recommend their happy hour....$1 per oyster is a great price. Bring your friends, but maybe not your kids, for a fun evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT PLACENojvDined on 4/20/2014Must say, the overall experience was great. Went for Easter brunch and the food and service was so good we went back for dinner. BC oysters a MUST try, great wine, great bar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensivejackDined on 3/30/2014Food was good but way too expensive. $15 for 6 small oysters, and $36 for mostly calamari and mussels. Got me once, wont get me again
- All around great restaurant!!AJC1VIPDined on 3/29/2014Oyster Bar is consistently delicious. The quality of the oysters never fails. They make the best ginger gimlet as well. Great night out with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters in RIOystersDined on 3/22/2014Whenever I visit downtown Providence, I make it a point to visit the Providence Oyster Bar. The oysters are fresh, great variety. The rest of the menu is heaven! Every entree is great! The swordfish is amazing! Lively and busy bar. make reservations!Special Features:
- Nice Find In Federal Hill.HelloKDined on 3/15/2014As anyone knows who has been to Federal Hill in Providence, Rhode Island, there are many restaurants and bars to choose from. The Oyster Bar is a nice spot to go for dinner. The menu has some great choices, along with the specials of the evening. The service was super!!! Roast Beet salad was wonderful. Chilean Sea Bass, very good, as well as, the duck. I was a little scared about the cherry demi glaze that was served with the duck, so I ordered it on the side, it was delicious!!! So, when in Federal Hill, check out The Oyster Bar on Atwells Avenue, I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious experiencePFarDined on 3/15/2014This was our first visit.. Food was outstanding! Lobster wontons, seared tuna, Pt Judith Calamari. Definitely coming back again!Special Features:
- Great food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014The place was a little bit noisy, but not too bad. The seafood was fresh and delicious and the menu had a lot of interesting offerings. The service was superb. The bill was a bit of an eye-popper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch with excellent food4merbozDined on 3/13/2014Had lunch here at 12 noon one day (they open at 12 so don't expect much going on when you arrive promptly. The lunch menu had a nice selection of seafood sandwiches and entrees and I had the Oyster Po'Boy Sandwich. Oysters were super fresh and clean and succulent. My business associate had the blackened swordfish which was a nice portion and he remarked how great the taste was. Overall very good, waiter was good but was a little green around the edges (little confused on the menu) but was extremely nice and wanted to pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.