Providence Oyster Bar
283 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Providence Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.providenceoysterbar.com/
- Phone: 4012728866x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch:Sundays 11:30am-2pm Dinner 2pm-9:00pm
Appy Hour: Every Day: 3:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Open Later Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Timothy Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Providence Oyster Bar
Located in historic Federal Hill, Providence Oyster Bar stands out as Rhode Island"s premiere seafood house. Upscale, yet casual, the Providence Oyster Bar welcomes you to be spoiled by the freshest selection of oysters and clams.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Providence Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Providence Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)vibrant bar scene (18)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (15)special occasion (14)hot spot (10)romantic (8)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Oysters in RIOystersDined on 3/22/2014Whenever I visit downtown Providence, I make it a point to visit the Providence Oyster Bar. The oysters are fresh, great variety. The rest of the menu is heaven! Every entree is great! The swordfish is amazing! Lively and busy bar. make reservations!Special Features:
- Nice Find In Federal Hill.HelloKDined on 3/15/2014As anyone knows who has been to Federal Hill in Providence, Rhode Island, there are many restaurants and bars to choose from. The Oyster Bar is a nice spot to go for dinner. The menu has some great choices, along with the specials of the evening. The service was super!!! Roast Beet salad was wonderful. Chilean Sea Bass, very good, as well as, the duck. I was a little scared about the cherry demi glaze that was served with the duck, so I ordered it on the side, it was delicious!!! So, when in Federal Hill, check out The Oyster Bar on Atwells Avenue, I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious experiencePFarDined on 3/15/2014This was our first visit.. Food was outstanding! Lobster wontons, seared tuna, Pt Judith Calamari. Definitely coming back again!Special Features:
- Great food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014The place was a little bit noisy, but not too bad. The seafood was fresh and delicious and the menu had a lot of interesting offerings. The service was superb. The bill was a bit of an eye-popper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch with excellent food4merbozDined on 3/13/2014Had lunch here at 12 noon one day (they open at 12 so don't expect much going on when you arrive promptly. The lunch menu had a nice selection of seafood sandwiches and entrees and I had the Oyster Po'Boy Sandwich. Oysters were super fresh and clean and succulent. My business associate had the blackened swordfish which was a nice portion and he remarked how great the taste was. Overall very good, waiter was good but was a little green around the edges (little confused on the menu) but was extremely nice and wanted to pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRUNCH!!EWilkDined on 3/9/2014This was the most delicious Sunday brunch I ever could have hoped for. The design-your-own bloody mary option is fun and accessible, and was a great addition to everything else I ate. As a table of four we split the stuffed french toast (seasonal stuffing: bananas foster!!) which was divine, and the perfect shared sweet addition to the rest of our meal. I also had a half dozen oysters from the raw bar, of which the local (RI) options were not the greatest, but the others were delicious. Finally I split the crabcakes benedict with my mother, which was absolutely perfect. The crabcakes are thick, warm, and perfectly spiced, the eggs seem very fresh, the sauce is great, and it's served on toasted french bread which is delicious. SO GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantSteveDined on 3/2/2014First off, the food was outstanding! The hollandaise sauce is one of the best I've had, and the eggs benedict were very good. One thing to watch out for is the price. Two people at Brunch...$100! That's a bit much for brunch (and it wasn't a buffet). The other complaint I had was the service. We waited 10 minutes, and had to go to the manager, before a server visited our table. However, once the server came over, she was great! I do recommend this restaurant, if you're not watching out for your cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicePefutiDined on 3/1/2014The food was great. Varied, fresh, interesting. Ambiance of a big city restaurant, excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- First timer!DebzDined on 2/28/2014The best food I've had in a long time! I won't be a regular as I thought it was really expensive. Down side was the bar was so overcrowded we couldn't sit and have a drink before dinner. We tried to stand but it's such a narrow area our drinks were spilling from people banging into us. Our server was unsmiling and looked like he wanted to be somewhere else! The hostess was lively and the bartender was friendly even though he was overwhelmed ! We appreciated that. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for Valentine's DayNewToProvidenceDined on 2/15/2014Perfect atmosphere for a romantic date night. There were rose petals on the table and everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great oystersLoisDined on 2/12/2014This was the fourth or fifth time I have been to the Oyster Bar and I have enjoyed every visit. The seafood is wonderful, although yesterday I was disappointed with the pasta. Service is prompt and friendly. Valet parking a big plus since parking in the neighborhood is so difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Providence's Oyster BarTedBundyDined on 2/8/2014The service was outstanding. From the valet, coat check, to the waitress. A+ & the food matched the service. OUTSTANDING!!! Price wise I was pleasantly surprised. Very fair. I'd recommend this restaurant to any and everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rekindled Affectionxxluv2dinexxDined on 2/7/2014Haven't been there for a while and it was only for lunch, but my wife and I went last night and it was such a good experience. In addition to the service, food, and quality being excellent, the atmosphere is very lively and the we'll have to experience the fun looking bar scene the next time around. Be assured that we will be back soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDenvergalDined on 2/4/2014Looked this place up online and saw the great reviews so decided to try it for my boyfriends birthday. Staff and waitress were all polite and answered all questions. Food was excellent! Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and ConsistantAJ1960Dined on 1/26/2014This is a favorite- the Tuna is amazing. Everyone in our group loved the choices and their fish was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Great ServiceJustGDined on 1/25/2014My first trip to the Providence Oyster Bar was in January, 2014, and it won't be my last. While the food is very expensive, it truely was wonderful. We started with a sampler of oysters and some shooters (tequila shot with an oyster inside). For my main course, I had scallops with spinach and polenta - my friend had sole with wild rice. Both meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but colddogfriendDined on 1/18/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation, but were seated within a few minutes. It was a table in the back . I asked the waiter if the back door was open because it was freezing. He replied there was a draft from the back door but there was a curtain to insulate against it. The door must be left open for ventilation purposes because it was really cold. It could not have been just drafty.I think our table was really the only one affected, The front of the restaurant was warm. I don't think that particular table should be used during this season. Food was very good, but unfortunately our experiences was affected but the uncomfortable temperature.
- Saturday night dinnerAnn2Dined on 1/18/2014Restaurant was much too noisy to carry on a conversation. The half wall separating the dining room is far from adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafoodChipDined on 1/10/2014We went during Providence restaurant week. The oysters were delicious and the wasabi ginger calamari was the best calamari we've ever had. The salmon entree was fantastic and light. The bistro siloin was a little overcooked but still tasted great. Overall we want to go back and try the sushi. The regular menu looks amazing.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experiencehappydiner1VIPDined on 1/10/2014My favorite restaurant in RI. From beginning to end it is always a great experience.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!fancyfoodie123Dined on 1/9/2014This restaurant is one of my favorites on the hill. The wasabi ginger calamari is amazing, I will keep going back just for that. I have tried many other items on the menu as well and everything is delicious. They also have great sushi. I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding!jemmDined on 12/28/2013We sat at the bar. Great service. Oysters to die for! The tuna was outstanding. You can share apps and one entree, more than enough food for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentBruinsRuleVIPDined on 12/21/2013This is the third or fourth time I have dined @ POB and every meal has been great. Poseidon Platter was a great starter for the shellfish eaters, with all the different Oysters clearly identified and beautiful King Crab meat in the center of the platter. Ginger-Wasabi fried calamari was a great change of pace from traditional RI calamari. Sesame seared tuna with lobster wontons is conssitently excellent. Great mixed drinks, although I always go for the jalapeno and cilantro tequila drink. We were too full of seafood and shellfish for dessert. Not a cheap night out, but always worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- holiday lunch with outside consultacherylDined on 12/19/2013I have never left here with the least bit of disappointment, all the way thru the valet, great experience and the freshest seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday dinnerJKhamvDined on 12/13/2013Overall it was a nice experience despite the fact that we were sitting so close to the bar I felt like some times the patrons were screaming in my ear. (Really folks? It's a classy joint - inside voices only.) Anyhow, I had been there several times before. The service was more than I Could ask for as our server and the staff were so attentive. As soon as I dropped my knife (on accident) or the bowls were filled to capacity of shells, someone was always there to help get a new knife/bowl. Hubs and I had the Moules and frites which were a little bland compared to other times, but other than that the blue point oysters and stuffed lobster were fantastic. Hubs ordered the clam bake and did not complain. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Pleasant atmosphereMikeDined on 11/25/2013Went with friends to sample the rock crab featured in an online ad. Disappointing that they had run out the day before and had none available. Oyesters were great. Don't bother with the Alaskan King Crab, it's tasteless and pretty expensive. Two of us had the Sea Bass and two had the Swordfish for entrees. Food was fabulous and portions were very generous. Had wine by the glass which was good and the selection was reasonable. Ambience was nice and waitstaff was very good. Highly recommend the Providence Oyster Bar for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular food. Quick, knowledgabGDragonDined on 11/16/2013spectacular food. Quick, knowledgable and very friendly service.Special Features:
- I had the coconut shrimp starterJerrygirlDined on 11/15/2013I had the coconut shrimp starter and the baked scallops entree. Both absolutely delicious! Would go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:
- Excellent as Always!CAG5563VIPDined on 11/8/2013Another great dinner at the Providence Oyster Bar. Food is always great and service (with Kelly) is alway OUTSTANDING! We'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Providence Oyster Bar what a pearl!JennDined on 10/19/2013I took my husband for a birthday dinner after checking out the Jackolantern Spectacular and the food was outstanding! They had a full raw bar and sushi bar featuring local fresh caught seafood from RI. It was delicious especially the chilean sea bass and I'm not a big fish eater! I actually ordered a NY strip and it was out of this world and I go frequently to Peter Lugers in NY and am hard to please. They also have these delicious parmesean truffle fries OMG you can not stop eating them. If you are ever in Providence stop into this little pearl in the heart of the Italian section you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood on Federal HillManhattandinerVIPDined on 10/19/2013Amongst all the mediocre/good Italian restaurants on Federal Hill, the Providence Oyster Bar stands out as a wonderful, casual seafood restaurant with a delightful variety of seafood offerings. The oyster sampler was terrific, especially the local Rhode Island variety, and their baked bay scallops serves to remind one why they are so prized over their larger, more abundant sea scallop cousins. More casual than Hemenway's (another fine seafood option in Providence), with a more focused menu, the Providence Oyster Bar has immediately become my favorite restaurant on Federal Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters--and more!RISDrentsDined on 10/11/2013A very difficult menu. Oysters, yes, but so much more tantalizing fare, it was very difficult to make a choice. We had a group of three, and everyone enjoyed their food. The only down-note was that the sirloin was so large, it was not evenly cooked, and what had been requested as medium rare was half uncooked.Special Features:
- Service- from the valet, hostessFoodie1Dined on 10/5/2013Service- from the valet, hostess and wait staff- is right on. Wait staff is knowledgeable and attentive without being intrusive. Varied menu with something for all tastes. Well worth going.Special Features:
- Excellent food choicesHazelDined on 9/28/2013We went to the Oyster Bar because we are seafood lovers and there were many choices and were not disappointed. The menu item of swordfish with vegetables and lobster mashed potatoes was so tasty and perfectly cooked. We wish we lived closer than four and a half hours from there but will surely return when visiting in Providence againSpecial Features:
- food good but rushedmissbedishDined on 9/28/2013I had expected by the name - oyster bar -- that raw and close to fresh would be the theme. The food was good, but for me cooked with a 'heavy hand' which 'dated' the entrees. While the meal and ambience was enjoyable, the service staff was pressing to get the food out and cleared and us out the door in the least amount of time available. If I had not purposefully sipped my drink at the end of the meal - I think we might have mae it thru an entire dinner with appetizers and entrees in under 45 minutes -- which for me is akin to a fast food experience. Please slow it down so we can enjoy the ambience.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceWeekendDinerDined on 9/28/2013I had made reservations for 2 then minutes later friends called and wanted to join in. Although the on-line reservation showed the next 4 seating available an hour and a half later, a quick phone call and we were immediately accommodated at our original time. The service was great (a lot of special requests and revisions to dishes ordered) all handled very graciously. we had a variety of dishes; seafood, steak & chicken, all very good, and served at a relaxed, unrushed pace. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Packed because it is worth itBobHDined on 9/28/2013The Oyster Bar has a great special for appetizers at the bbar from 5- 6:30 PM. Wonderful deals on oysters clams and appetizers. Having been ther only on Saturday nights I can say that reservations are a must. Any number of people were turned away so take my advice get a reservation. Sea food was excellent over our three visits and a dozen meals the only less than positive comment was the rice in the paella. Not the sea food but only the rice. Calamari mussels all good rice overly salty. Service at the bar and the table was excellent. Despite the full house they were all attentive, personable, and efficient. Valet parking is available right in front of the restaurant and in this part of town is a must. Will we go back? Absolutely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeMindeloDined on 9/6/2013Thank you - we had a great time. Outstanding food and service. We hope to have another experience in the very near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the menuJamieDined on 9/6/2013I would go back just because I would order just about anything on the menu. Great selection of seafood and other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic New EnglandOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2013When you choose an Oyster Bar in New England you expect certain things: an old, brick and wood atmosphere, waiters in black and white with long, white aprons, all the classic choices in addition to oysters -- clams, mussels, lobster rolls, and this place does not disappoint. Just what we wanted. Food was delicious, wait staff friendly and helpful when choosing among all the best of New England.Special Features: