Providence Oyster Bar
283 Atwells Avenue
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Providence Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.providenceoysterbar.com/
- Phone: (401) 272-8866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm;
Brunch:Sundays 11:30am-2pm Dinner 2pm-9:00pm
Appy Hour: Every Day: 3:00pm - 6:30pm
Bar Open Later Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Timothy Stewart
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
A word from Providence Oyster Bar
Located in historic Federal Hill, Providence Oyster Bar stands out as Rhode Island"s premiere seafood house. Upscale, yet casual, the Providence Oyster Bar welcomes you to be spoiled by the freshest selection of oysters and clams.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Providence Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
Providence Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (17)special occasion (16)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)good for groups (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (2)Show More
- consistently awesomeDonDVIPDined on 5/10/2014We have been going to the POB since it first opened and have never been disappointed. The menu is usually the same, but the specials are creative and intriguing. The freshest seafood around can be enjoyed here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstandingbry49Dined on 5/9/2014we never left the starters side of the menu service & food were greatSpecial Features:
- Whoa!JansreviewsVIPDined on 5/7/2014From the time I made the reservation to valet bringing around my car to leave, the service was excellent. The restaurant is in a great location. The restaurant only allows you to reserve for a maximum party of 8. But I ended up having 9 people and the hostess didn't even sweat it. The dining area is pretty compact and I was nervous that our party of 9 wouldn't fit comfortably, but that was not the case. We were sat near the kitchen and I always smell foul kitchen mats when in other restaurants, but I didn't here. I even forgot how close we were to it. The waitress was super friendly & on point. Her tip was included but she didn't act like it. She definitely earned every penny. Valet is free which is great. AND THE FOOD IS AWESOOOOOME!Special Features:
- business lunchcthgDined on 4/30/2014table for six. food very good, service polite and attentative but a bit slow in delivering lunch. Our server just started. I would go back however.. definately worth the tripSpecial Features:
- Nice place.RockyDined on 4/26/2014Service was good as well as the food. Drinks were very good. Atmosphere was energetic. It was a little noisy and our table was about six inches from the kitchen. Lots of kitchen noise. If you are going to come here, make sure you make a reservation and ask not to sit near the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & 9 Kinds of OystersTTGRAD94Dined on 4/23/2014We found this online and am so glad we did! The service was outstanding and our waitress made the experience so amazing we came back the next night too! We learned that they served 9 kinds of oysters and their wine list was varied. I would recommend their happy hour....$1 per oyster is a great price. Bring your friends, but maybe not your kids, for a fun evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD, GREAT PLACENojvVIPDined on 4/20/2014Must say, the overall experience was great. Went for Easter brunch and the food and service was so good we went back for dinner. BC oysters a MUST try, great wine, great bar...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensivejackDined on 3/30/2014Food was good but way too expensive. $15 for 6 small oysters, and $36 for mostly calamari and mussels. Got me once, wont get me again
- All around great restaurant!!AJC1VIPDined on 3/29/2014Oyster Bar is consistently delicious. The quality of the oysters never fails. They make the best ginger gimlet as well. Great night out with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oysters in RIOystersDined on 3/22/2014Whenever I visit downtown Providence, I make it a point to visit the Providence Oyster Bar. The oysters are fresh, great variety. The rest of the menu is heaven! Every entree is great! The swordfish is amazing! Lively and busy bar. make reservations!Special Features:
- Nice Find In Federal Hill.HelloKDined on 3/15/2014As anyone knows who has been to Federal Hill in Providence, Rhode Island, there are many restaurants and bars to choose from. The Oyster Bar is a nice spot to go for dinner. The menu has some great choices, along with the specials of the evening. The service was super!!! Roast Beet salad was wonderful. Chilean Sea Bass, very good, as well as, the duck. I was a little scared about the cherry demi glaze that was served with the duck, so I ordered it on the side, it was delicious!!! So, when in Federal Hill, check out The Oyster Bar on Atwells Avenue, I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious experiencePFarVIPDined on 3/15/2014This was our first visit.. Food was outstanding! Lobster wontons, seared tuna, Pt Judith Calamari. Definitely coming back again!Special Features:
- Great food and service, but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/14/2014The place was a little bit noisy, but not too bad. The seafood was fresh and delicious and the menu had a lot of interesting offerings. The service was superb. The bill was a bit of an eye-popper!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch with excellent food4merbozDined on 3/13/2014Had lunch here at 12 noon one day (they open at 12 so don't expect much going on when you arrive promptly. The lunch menu had a nice selection of seafood sandwiches and entrees and I had the Oyster Po'Boy Sandwich. Oysters were super fresh and clean and succulent. My business associate had the blackened swordfish which was a nice portion and he remarked how great the taste was. Overall very good, waiter was good but was a little green around the edges (little confused on the menu) but was extremely nice and wanted to pleaseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRUNCH!!EWilkDined on 3/9/2014This was the most delicious Sunday brunch I ever could have hoped for. The design-your-own bloody mary option is fun and accessible, and was a great addition to everything else I ate. As a table of four we split the stuffed french toast (seasonal stuffing: bananas foster!!) which was divine, and the perfect shared sweet addition to the rest of our meal. I also had a half dozen oysters from the raw bar, of which the local (RI) options were not the greatest, but the others were delicious. Finally I split the crabcakes benedict with my mother, which was absolutely perfect. The crabcakes are thick, warm, and perfectly spiced, the eggs seem very fresh, the sauce is great, and it's served on toasted french bread which is delicious. SO GREAT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good RestaurantSteveDined on 3/2/2014First off, the food was outstanding! The hollandaise sauce is one of the best I've had, and the eggs benedict were very good. One thing to watch out for is the price. Two people at Brunch...$100! That's a bit much for brunch (and it wasn't a buffet). The other complaint I had was the service. We waited 10 minutes, and had to go to the manager, before a server visited our table. However, once the server came over, she was great! I do recommend this restaurant, if you're not watching out for your cash.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nicePefutiVIPDined on 3/1/2014The food was great. Varied, fresh, interesting. Ambiance of a big city restaurant, excellent service. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- First timer!DebzDined on 2/28/2014The best food I've had in a long time! I won't be a regular as I thought it was really expensive. Down side was the bar was so overcrowded we couldn't sit and have a drink before dinner. We tried to stand but it's such a narrow area our drinks were spilling from people banging into us. Our server was unsmiling and looked like he wanted to be somewhere else! The hostess was lively and the bartender was friendly even though he was overwhelmed ! We appreciated that. Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for Valentine's DayNewToProvidenceDined on 2/15/2014Perfect atmosphere for a romantic date night. There were rose petals on the table and everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great oystersLoisDined on 2/12/2014This was the fourth or fifth time I have been to the Oyster Bar and I have enjoyed every visit. The seafood is wonderful, although yesterday I was disappointed with the pasta. Service is prompt and friendly. Valet parking a big plus since parking in the neighborhood is so difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Providence's Oyster BarTedBundyDined on 2/8/2014The service was outstanding. From the valet, coat check, to the waitress. A+ & the food matched the service. OUTSTANDING!!! Price wise I was pleasantly surprised. Very fair. I'd recommend this restaurant to any and everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rekindled Affectionxxluv2dinexxDined on 2/7/2014Haven't been there for a while and it was only for lunch, but my wife and I went last night and it was such a good experience. In addition to the service, food, and quality being excellent, the atmosphere is very lively and the we'll have to experience the fun looking bar scene the next time around. Be assured that we will be back soon!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDenvergalDined on 2/4/2014Looked this place up online and saw the great reviews so decided to try it for my boyfriends birthday. Staff and waitress were all polite and answered all questions. Food was excellent! Definitely would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome and ConsistantAJ1960Dined on 1/26/2014This is a favorite- the Tuna is amazing. Everyone in our group loved the choices and their fish was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Great ServiceJustGDined on 1/25/2014My first trip to the Providence Oyster Bar was in January, 2014, and it won't be my last. While the food is very expensive, it truely was wonderful. We started with a sampler of oysters and some shooters (tequila shot with an oyster inside). For my main course, I had scallops with spinach and polenta - my friend had sole with wild rice. Both meals were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but colddogfriendDined on 1/18/2014We arrived a little early for our reservation, but were seated within a few minutes. It was a table in the back . I asked the waiter if the back door was open because it was freezing. He replied there was a draft from the back door but there was a curtain to insulate against it. The door must be left open for ventilation purposes because it was really cold. It could not have been just drafty.I think our table was really the only one affected, The front of the restaurant was warm. I don't think that particular table should be used during this season. Food was very good, but unfortunately our experiences was affected but the uncomfortable temperature.
- Saturday night dinnerAnn2Dined on 1/18/2014Restaurant was much too noisy to carry on a conversation. The half wall separating the dining room is far from adequate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing seafoodChipDined on 1/10/2014We went during Providence restaurant week. The oysters were delicious and the wasabi ginger calamari was the best calamari we've ever had. The salmon entree was fantastic and light. The bistro siloin was a little overcooked but still tasted great. Overall we want to go back and try the sushi. The regular menu looks amazing.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experiencehappydiner1VIPDined on 1/10/2014My favorite restaurant in RI. From beginning to end it is always a great experience.Special Features:
- One of my favorites!fancyfoodie123Dined on 1/9/2014This restaurant is one of my favorites on the hill. The wasabi ginger calamari is amazing, I will keep going back just for that. I have tried many other items on the menu as well and everything is delicious. They also have great sushi. I will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding!jemmDined on 12/28/2013We sat at the bar. Great service. Oysters to die for! The tuna was outstanding. You can share apps and one entree, more than enough food for two people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentBruinsRuleVIPDined on 12/21/2013This is the third or fourth time I have dined @ POB and every meal has been great. Poseidon Platter was a great starter for the shellfish eaters, with all the different Oysters clearly identified and beautiful King Crab meat in the center of the platter. Ginger-Wasabi fried calamari was a great change of pace from traditional RI calamari. Sesame seared tuna with lobster wontons is conssitently excellent. Great mixed drinks, although I always go for the jalapeno and cilantro tequila drink. We were too full of seafood and shellfish for dessert. Not a cheap night out, but always worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- holiday lunch with outside consultacherylDined on 12/19/2013I have never left here with the least bit of disappointment, all the way thru the valet, great experience and the freshest seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday dinnerJKhamvDined on 12/13/2013Overall it was a nice experience despite the fact that we were sitting so close to the bar I felt like some times the patrons were screaming in my ear. (Really folks? It's a classy joint - inside voices only.) Anyhow, I had been there several times before. The service was more than I Could ask for as our server and the staff were so attentive. As soon as I dropped my knife (on accident) or the bowls were filled to capacity of shells, someone was always there to help get a new knife/bowl. Hubs and I had the Moules and frites which were a little bland compared to other times, but other than that the blue point oysters and stuffed lobster were fantastic. Hubs ordered the clam bake and did not complain. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Pleasant atmosphereMikeDined on 11/25/2013Went with friends to sample the rock crab featured in an online ad. Disappointing that they had run out the day before and had none available. Oyesters were great. Don't bother with the Alaskan King Crab, it's tasteless and pretty expensive. Two of us had the Sea Bass and two had the Swordfish for entrees. Food was fabulous and portions were very generous. Had wine by the glass which was good and the selection was reasonable. Ambience was nice and waitstaff was very good. Highly recommend the Providence Oyster Bar for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- spectacular food. Quick, knowledgabGDragonDined on 11/16/2013spectacular food. Quick, knowledgable and very friendly service.Special Features:
- I had the coconut shrimp starterJerrygirlDined on 11/15/2013I had the coconut shrimp starter and the baked scallops entree. Both absolutely delicious! Would go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:
- Excellent as Always!CAG5563VIPDined on 11/8/2013Another great dinner at the Providence Oyster Bar. Food is always great and service (with Kelly) is alway OUTSTANDING! We'll be back again soon.Special Features:
- Providence Oyster Bar what a pearl!JennDined on 10/19/2013I took my husband for a birthday dinner after checking out the Jackolantern Spectacular and the food was outstanding! They had a full raw bar and sushi bar featuring local fresh caught seafood from RI. It was delicious especially the chilean sea bass and I'm not a big fish eater! I actually ordered a NY strip and it was out of this world and I go frequently to Peter Lugers in NY and am hard to please. They also have these delicious parmesean truffle fries OMG you can not stop eating them. If you are ever in Providence stop into this little pearl in the heart of the Italian section you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafood on Federal HillManhattandinerVIPDined on 10/19/2013Amongst all the mediocre/good Italian restaurants on Federal Hill, the Providence Oyster Bar stands out as a wonderful, casual seafood restaurant with a delightful variety of seafood offerings. The oyster sampler was terrific, especially the local Rhode Island variety, and their baked bay scallops serves to remind one why they are so prized over their larger, more abundant sea scallop cousins. More casual than Hemenway's (another fine seafood option in Providence), with a more focused menu, the Providence Oyster Bar has immediately become my favorite restaurant on Federal Hill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.